Page 5 of 12 FirstFirst ... 2345678 ... LastLast

Thread: Suspicion (105)

Smile Re: Suspicion (105)

QUOTE:
    SPOILERS FOR *Suspicion*, *38 Minutes*

sn't someone supposed to make sure that when the actor returns to a previous pose, it's the same??? Example...

When Sheppard was hit with the Wraith stun thingy (brain fart) and he fell, his right arm was close to his side and bent so that his hand was laying partially on his abdomen. The next shot is Sheppard laying with both arms raised over his shoulders.

This also happened in *38 Minutes*... When Teyla was trying to remove the bug from Sheppard's neck, his head was leaning toward the bug. When she finally removed it, his head was perfectly upright.

Oh, I've started collecting all the notes on when Sheppard is unconscious, or immobile, but his limbs are in the wrong position. The continuity person is supposed to track this kind of stuff. The actor may do it it in so many different positions as the director says, let's try this, no, try that, and they they choose a scene later, and really, how many people are sitting there (besides me? ) going, Oh, look, he's flat out unconscious but he can move his arm back to his gun! I mean, watch his legs in "38 minutes". Such fun

Default Re: Suspicion (105)

Shut up and pay attention! Here's

PIGGY'S USELESS OPINION
    of 'Suspicion'

Good episode! But... It's been three months since our heroes came to Atlantis. And they've been on nine missions. How come we haven't seen any of them? I suppose it is logical to conclude that nothing of particular interest happened on these trips, but I thought that Stargate Atlantis would, by "starting from scratch", be going back to the kind of "exploring the galaxy" type of stories SG-1 used to tell. Yet, after five episodes we have yet to get even one "regular" exploration episode. I'm not complaining - I've loved the series so far - it's just an observation.

Anyway - I enjoyed the show. Teyla finally gets significant screentime, and I actually liked her this time. With the disgruntled Athosians and the suspicion and everything I had expected her to play the part that Halling ended up playing. I was pleasantly surprised by her understanding attitude towards Weir, and her lack of complaining.

As for the rest of the characters: It appears the team members must have been growing closer to each other over the three months in Atlantis. They show concern for each other (Felt kind of strange to see McKay so passionately sticking up for his team mates, rather than just complaining and making sarcastic comments - of which there were unusually few this time, by the way) and they all seemed genuinely certain of Teyla's innocence. However there still hasn't been much for Ford to do. Loved him bringing along a "nice turkey sandwich" this time, though. Guess they learned in 'Rising' that the Puddle Jumper can only do so much.

One thing kind of bothered me: Weir hesitating to lower the shield for Teyla. Hello! She's a member of the team! You don't risk her life like that just because someone started suspecting her three seconds ago!

Plot stuff!!
    - So, Teyla's necklace was the culprit. I remember someone guessing that on the forum sometime earlier this week... Good call, whoever it was! I knew that scene of Sheppard finding it in 'Rising' was there for a reason. Now it turns out, that reason wasn't Sheppard/Teyla ship being built up after all. Still no sign of the "playful sexual tension" between those two characters. Just as well.
    - The Wraith weapon is only designed to stun. I wouldn't have guessed... But it makes sense. They need their victims to be alive in order to be able to feed upon their life force. (Heh... I was dissapointed when McKay went numb in the face in the beginning. McKay can't talk? Where's the fun in that? Good thing he recovered quickly. Oh, and speaking of him getting hit by the Wraith stunner - when the team came through the gate in the beginning I fully expected them to just stop and stand there as if they were safe right in front of it, as SG-1 have done several times. Hello?! How about getting the heck out of the way in case they fire on the gate on the other side?? And then, of course, McKay did get hit. Nice touch.)
    - The Athosians moved to the main land! Presumably this means we won't have to see them again in every episode. Yay!
    - The captured Wraith! I so didn't see that one coming! Enjoyed the brief interrogation scene by Sheppard. I wonder where this plot thread will go in the future. They took a big risk in bringing him to Atlantis, though - if he escapes, the Wraith as a whole will know for sure where the humans from Earth are. Trouble.

Oh, and one more good thing about the episode: The outdoors balcony scene. I've been missing outdoors scenes in Atlantis, and hope to see more in future episodes. I mean there's gotta be streets in the city, right? Not just insides of big buildings? The sets are great, but let's see more of the city!

And... We get the very first Atlantis "previously-on"! Now we know whose voice we will be hearing in every two-parter for the next eight years...

That's it, I'm done.

SPOILERS for suspicion.

Maj. Sheppard developes his role as the military leader very well. He has strong authority and is not afraid to use that authority. he is only a Major and usually (correct me if i'm wrong) an officer with the rank of a Colonel is the commanding officer, i know that col. summners is dead but Maj. Sheppard is handling this authority very well.

When the roof in the jumper bay retracted i was kinda hoping for a larger ship of some sort (it does sound wacky but you never know) but the whole exploring the planet idea is great, i hope TPTB have plans to do more with the world instead of just keeping it in the main city.

One thing I forgot to mention is that I like the fact that this episode does establish on-screen that the Wraith do indeed get up after getting shot. Unless you really pump them full the way Teyla did, I guess.

Prion, I'm glad I'm not the only one that notices these things.
    Last edited by Sheppard's Flock; August 7th, 2004 at 04:23 PM. Reason: wanted to identify who I was replying to
    If you don't do anything, you can't do anything wrong.

from McKay. Loved his scene with Dr. Z (who is definitely Czech). Although if McKay is such a gourmand, what's with liking MREs and hospital food? He was whining about being sent to Siberia because of the food, but MREs he likes? Is Russian food THAT bad?
    Ummmm you've never had an MRE have you. From what I have heard it's like eating gorumet food.
    (Felt kind of strange to see McKay so passionately sticking up for his team mates, rather than just complaining and making sarcastic comments - of which there were unusually few this time, by the way)
    Actually there were quite a few sarcastic comments from McKay. His sarcasm though was directed towards good purposes. (at that arrogant soilder)

Quote Originally Posted by Tokraed
    To me, one glaring plot hole was the fact that the wormhole was shut down by the receiving end.
    As seen in one of the previous episodes (don't remember which one), the gate control panel in Atlantis has a button which shuts down the gate. I believe it's the same button you open it with after punching in the address, like on a DHD.

The DHD's don't have a way to shut down the gates at all, so this is obviously an upgrade. Perhaps the Ancients redesigned it so you would be able to shut down incoming wormholes as well as outgoing ones. Just a thought...

Lieutenant Colonel Major Fischer's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by CyberKnight
    Ummmm you've never had an MRE have you. From what I have heard it's like eating gorumet food.
    Actually there were quite a few sarcastic comments from McKay. His sarcasm though was directed towards good purposes. (at that arrogant soilder)
    MRE's are quite good these days. Pick one up sometime to try it if you don't believe me. Full of nifty items too. The things you learn that can be done with the little thing of Tabasco sauce....

Quote Originally Posted by CyberKnight
    Ummmm you've never had an MRE have you.
    Actually, I have. And they were terrible. But I also don't know how old they were. With my luck, they were hold-outs from the Vietnam War...

I actually kinda like airline food, myself. Depending on the meal. But the portions are usually a bit small, even for me- which is really saying something. If McKay likes big portions, I can understand his complaint.

Also, I don't know who that second quote is from, but I'm pretty sure it wasn't me.

Lieutenant Colonel Major Fischer's Avatar

Might have been Shadow, they also changed them in the last ten years or so sometime. I had one in 1991 that was one of the worst things I've eaten in my life, but I also had quite a number as recently as a few months ago and they were really quite good.

Maybe it's time to go hunting again. Although I still love what Wang Paul called 'em in Space: Above & Beyond: Meals Rejected by the Enemy. hehe. Everyone has their fave definition of MRE. That one's mine.

I still want to know if Russian food is really that bad...

Chief Master Sergeant Yu Huang Shang Ti's Avatar

I used to get modern MREs from a military surplus store for quick lunches. They're really pretty good, provided you don't need your food or drinks warm.

As for shutting the gate down... either these gates can be manually deactivated (although I kinda hope not, having to weather enemy attacks makes for nice action), or the guy who said "shut down the gate!" didn't fully understand how gates work and it was just a coincidence. Hrm...

Never tried MRE....but have tried Russin food...ofcourse I have...I'm Russina....wht and idot...anyway..what was i gonna stay....stop talking to yourself...oh yea...Russian foooooood!!! Good food, soups, salads, a lot of bread and potatos...good food, WAY better than fast food you just gotta have it home made, some real Russian friend gotta do it..never go to the restaraunt...they make it wierd...

McKay & Sheppard in Wiers office talking about the medalion...McKay's remark about Sheppard saying something - FUNNY....but don't remember...

Quote Originally Posted by Ugly Pig
    As seen in one of the previous episodes (don't remember which one), the gate control panel in Atlantis has a button which shuts down the gate. I believe it's the same button you open it with after punching in the address, like on a DHD.

The DHD's don't have a way to shut down the gates at all, so this is obviously an upgrade. Perhaps the Ancients redesigned it so you would be able to shut down incoming wormholes as well as outgoing ones. Just a thought...
    Hmm. With neighbors like the Wraith, I wonder why....

Default Weir & Sheppard - trading spaces

I thought it odd that Weir--the diplomat--immediately wanted to follow drastic measures to isolate the Athosians (is that their name??) in order to determine if they're the source of the leak. I know she had to protect all the Atlantis crew, but it seemed odd, especially when...

Sheppard--the military guy--argues that such an act would be unfair and not nice. Doesn't that seem backward, like they're each thinking the way the other person should think? THe military guy should be hard-line, and the diplomat should be more open to non-extreme alternatives.

I too didn't like the new security guy, Stackhouse. And I thought it odd that Weir appointed him as security chief. I would have thought that security would have been in Sheppard's bailywick, and HE would have been in charge of appointing a head of security. (And it doesn't sound like he would've chosen Stackhouse.)

Just my two cents....

Default Re: Weir & Sheppard - trading spaces

If there was a spy, which wasn't an Arthosian, then he could just wait until the Athosians were back on Atlantis. It doesn't take much intelligence to do that.

Default Re: Weir & Sheppard - trading spaces

Quote Originally Posted by aAnubiSs
    If there was a spy, which wasn't an Arthosian, then he could just wait until the Athosians were back on Atlantis. It doesn't take much intelligence to do that.

I take it this is in reply to something in my post. To which point exactly are you referring?

McKay: "How could I possibly know that? What am I, Answerman?"

Lieutenant Colonel IWantToBelieve's Avatar

They've changed MRE's a lot. My DH brought some home a while back after one of their exercises they go on. Back when I was in (long time ago), it was the cold, dried stuff. Not great. Now, it's like meals you get in the store (frozen food thing). They've got a chemical reaction in a bag that heats up the entree, making it steaming hot. They also have things like M&M's and skittles for dessert. A far cry from what they used to be.

Anyway, I'm late to the discussion. I liked this episode also. Not as much as last week's, but that's because this episode wasn't 'on the edge of your seat' like last one. It did have some excellent character development, and the ending really blew me away, I did not see that coming. Capturing a wraith was pretty ballsy, and I have to wonder what the writers have in store for us later this season. Obviously this is going to be a story arc, but from the episodes we have spoilers for, I'm not sure where it fits in.

And I agree about it being a good continuity thing to show us for the first time just how hard they are to kill. I do disaggree with the thought that Weir handled it poorly. I think she's new to this type of leadership, she is a civilian, not a military, and Bates was a paranoid ass giving her a difficult time with his advice and help, something Sheppard caught on to eventually. She also hesitated to open the shield because if she was wrong, if her gut instinct on trusting Teyla was off, then she would be essentially handing her people and Atlantis to their doom. One decision could have ended it all for them. Sitting at home, we know Teyla isn't a traitor, but Weir doesn't have that insight.
    http://i46.photobucket.com/albums/f125/IWantToBelieve2/sigpics/sigpicboys1.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Ugly Pig
    Good episode! But... It's been three months since our heroes came to Atlantis. And they've been on nine missions. How come we haven't seen any of them? I suppose it is logical to conclude that nothing of particular interest happened on these trips, but I thought that Stargate Atlantis would, by "starting from scratch", be going back to the kind of "exploring the galaxy" type of stories SG-1 used to tell. Yet, after five episodes we have yet to get even one "regular" exploration episode. I'm not complaining - I've loved the series so far - it's just an observation.

As for the rest of the characters: It appears the team members must have been growing closer to each other over the three months in Atlantis. They show concern for each other (Felt kind of strange to see McKay so passionately sticking up for his team mates, rather than just complaining and making sarcastic comments - of which there were unusually few this time, by the way) and they all seemed genuinely certain of Teyla's innocence.
    This is something that´s been bugging me a bit about the team itself, too. I don´t feel like I´ve had a chance to form a bond with them yet (except for Sheppard and McKay, I lööööv them) and that makes me feel somewhat cheated. It´s all well and good that they care for each other, I wouldn´t have it any other way, but I would have loved seeing some of those three months in front of the camera, as well. Not just, "oh, look here´s the team, and yep they´ve been on a whole bunch of adventures already, but regretfully you missed out on them...". I felt like there are a couple of episodes 'missing'. Like there are things that have happened to the characters 'off-camera' that has put them in the place they are right now, that I should know about.

Page 5 of 12 FirstFirst ... 2345678 ... LastLast