Endgame (810)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Token
    IMO, since I have watched Season 1-6, then I could feel the "holes", but for new viewers to Stargate, they might not know any different. Scenes that Jack would have done are now done by Daniel which isn't bad but I was wondering, "Where's Jack?" I could feel the reduction of RDA's schedule and the multiple episode filming in this episode; but I choose to overlook it, and consider this one of the best episodes so far this season.
    Let's face it we're mostly hard-core viewers of Stargate here. Seen every episode. We're the first to notice if things feel "off". I think a lot of our nits come from our familiarity with the characters and the show. RCC was quoted in an interview as saying that Jack would be heavy in the beginning and end of the season and light in the middle. I'll always miss Jack but I've adjusted.

I get the feeling that they're sometimes writing scenes with Jack in mind and if RDA isn't available they fill in with someone else. There's been a couple of times when the words and actions coming from Daniel sounded or felt just like Jack. It's nice to see the characters grow and change but sometimes there's no explanation and it seems they're acting "out of character" - at least to the diehard fans.

I remember reading that Robert Picardo said he might be appearing on SG-1 in the first half of season 7. Never happened. The interrogation scene might have been originally intended for Picardo's character. Perhaps the budget wouldn't cover another guest actor and they just slotted Daniel into that scene. I don't know, just speculating. I think they're trying to produce the best show they can within the parameters they have to work with.

I enjoyed New Order I&II, Lockdown, Zero Hour and Avatar a lot, Sacrifices and Endgame were also pretty good. The other three episodes had some nice parts but overall didn't work for me. That's 7 out of 10 I enjoyed which still makes me a fan (I think) even if I have a few nits along the way.
    Life is hard...and it's harder if you're stupid

Comment

AHEM

can we discuss the episode and not each other????

I can guarantee you that there is no single episode in existence that everyone will like, nor is there one that everyone will dislike.
      Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

Liked this episode - but I think the whole "Jack" issue needs to be looked at BIG PICTURE, rather than just in this episode. This whole season kind of has an arc going with Jack adjusting to being general. Yes, I think that he struggled with the decision of puting "his" team at risk. Yes, I think he was indecisive at critical times in this episode. But I think the key to his indecision wasn't necessarily "should I risk my friends' lives" - we've seen him make those decisions before with a lot less difficulty. I think that the big difference now is that he is making the decision, but not executing the plan. It's one thing to pull the trigger yourself and another to order someone else to pull the trigger. I think he is actually feeling LESS in control, because when he is in the field making decisions he is making them based on full knowledge of his own capabilities and potential for "making everything right" or dealing with the consequences himself. When he has made life and death decisions regarding his team in the past, he has been right there with them, ready to die himself if need be. Now he is in a bunker somewhere, basically powerless to actually help. I think that realization really hit him in this episode, and I think we will see some development in the second half of the season that addresses this.

The only other thing I guess I would say is "Was it just me or did we have ANOTHER Earth-based episode?"

-tera'ngan
        nuqDaq yuch Dapol

Comment

Originally posted by Skydiver
          AHEM

I can guarantee you that there is no single episode in existence that everyone will like, nor is there one that everyone will dislike.
          Take that back! Everyone loves Window Of Opprotunity.....
          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by majorsal
            Daniel is 2IC of the base now? Did I miss a memo?

Sally
            Apparently; it was send out last month on the the fifth Monday. <G> I said "appears" to be. And it does look that way to me. So, it makes me happy and I'm sticking to it.

Dana Jeanne
            Click here for the latest news on Michael Shanks

Michael Shanks Online

Daniel Fanfic Archive ~ My SG-1 Scribbles ~ My Pros Scribbles

Comment

I was really looking forward to seeing this ep. (After moving to college and finding out they didn't have Sci fi channel...ahhh!!! ) as I would be home this weekend. I wasn't dissapointed in the slightest. I found it to be a very entertaining episode with some great lines. "You went to get COFFEE!!"..Lol.

My only qualm was it seemed a bit rushed. I would have really liked to see this as a two part ep. Ah, well. It was lots of fun regardless.
              Daniel:Nyet
              Jack: Daniel?
              Daniel: He just asked me if we were Soviet Spies. I just...
              Jack: Nyet???

Comment

Originally posted by Skydiver
                AHEM

Thank you Moderator!

As for the episode:
                I'm all for Sam wearing civvies on covert missions--but something more practical than the tight leather in mission #2 would have seemed more appropriate to me. At least she seemed to be wearing body armor in the first mission. (I might have to go back and check that.)
                I was also disturbed by Jack's indecision at the end. Sure a moment or so to see if they could get themselves out of it is reasonable--and something Hammond would have done, I think. On the other hand, the writers didn't seem to take the easy route out here. I would see that scenario as being, SG1 gets out just as Jack gives the order to fire & they blow up the Alkesh (sp.). Perhaps we'll see some interesting consequences from this episode.

Comment

Originally posted by Shivan
                  I'm going to be honest- you guys SHOULD stop complaining. It isn't good, and if you are SG:1 fans than you wouldn't complain about every damn episode like it was the end of the world.
                  Well, excuse me. We're not cultist. SG1 isn't our god. And, people get more leeway in questioning holy figures than it seems they get criticizing a tv show around here.

It isn't healthy for everyone else on these boards when you are a negative person who cries over the smallest matters.
                  Healthy? Do you feel any sharp abdominal pains? Migraines? Uncontrollable urge to cry? Perhaps you hear voices?
                  Major Fischer looks for every little bad thing about the episode and calls the episode on it. That pretty much tells me that major Fischer does not like Stargate. If you are going to tear every damn episode to threads why watch the damn show?
                  Maybe Major Fischer just sees things that she feels aren't good. When someone says an episode is good, no one says they have to "look" for it. Why does it matter to anyone why Major Fisher or anybody else watches the show? You watch it. You like it. That should be enough.

You guys seem to forget this is possibly our last season, and all most of you can do is bash the season for the every little hole you can find. Why? To make yourselves feel better? To make people here who actually like the show feel bad and think that the season is horrible? You are influencing people to hate the show.
                  Whoo boy! Where to start with this. Lets see. So, freaking what if this may be our last season. People complaining doesn't make it the last season. People saying "Stargate is the greatest show, and I'm going to name my first born Teal'c, and change my name to Sam and dye my hair, and I looooove Stargate to widdle bitty pieces" isn't going to give it an extra season. And, lets see, why do people voice negative opinions? Well, of course! It must be because they need to "make themselves feel better" Hey, Major Fischer, were you feeling bad when you posted your opinion? Did voicing it suddenly give you a new found boost of confidence that you didn't have before? I never noticed voicing my opinion "made me feel better" or even that I needed to feel better. And, if people who like the season can suddenly change their minds because someone disagrees, obviously, they didn't have very strong opinions on how great it was in the first place. And, feel bad? Sorry. People disagree vehemently about Daniel, ship, Sam, Jack and Daniel, various episodes, and they never made me feel bad. And, they certainly never influenced me to change my mind. But, if negative opinions are that powerful, I think I'll be negative more often.

As I said before- I can nitpick every damn episode and make it sound like a ****ty episode. It doesn't ONLY work for season 8
                  And, if people voiced a negative opinion about other seasons, they'd get jumped on for that.

and I have seen episodes worse than these season 8 episodes. They are scattered all over the seasons. But none of them are as bad as Major Fischer makes them out to be.
                  In your opinion.

Sorry, I never signed up to be a Pollyanna. Stargate isn't my god. The people who make it are human are fallible and make mistakes. If I see something I feel is good, I'll say it. If I see something that I feel isn't, I'll say it. And, if people can't accept that, well, that's just too bad. And, if I'm mean for talking about an episode in any way I feel, tough cookies.

Mods feel free to chastise, edit, or delete if any of you deem me to be too harsh.
                  Last edited by Dani347; 18 September 2004, 09:12 AM.
                  I'm a girl! A girly girly girl!

Okay, you got me. I can't accept change. This message may look like it was typed on a computer and posted on the internet, but it is actually cave drawings delivered by smoke signals.

Naquada Enhanced Chastity Belts -SG1 edition. On sale now! Heck, I'll give them away

Daniel Jackson Appreciation and Discussion -because he's more than pretty

http://forum.gateworld.net/showthread.php?t=89

Daniel Jackson: The Beacon of Hope and The Man Who Opened the Stargate

Comment

Originally posted by jyh
                    ALso, I hated Jack's hesitation in making the big decision. I know he cares about his team, but he's a military officer and he's been in tough situations before and I really don't think he would have hesitated so long to make that decision. Yes, I know, it was all part of the plot, but it really seemed out-of-character.

And lastly, I thought it ended rather abruptly and anti-climatically. I think they would have (and should have) tried to take over the ship. Why didn't they? It would have been a good half-season-ender to have them go off in search of the remaining Trust people/person and go into hyper-drive.
                    I have to totally agree. It made me mad that Jack didn't give the word. He certainly didn't hestitate to shoot Daniel in an earlier episode, so why not give the word?

And yes, the episode ended rather blah. No cliff hanger.

I enjoyed the humor at the beginning of the episode and really liked the plot of making the Jaffa suspect the Tok'ra was releasing the poison. Do we know how long the poison will last on those planets? Didn't care for the Tok'ra operative. And they killed one of the best Jaffa warriors!

Going back to Affinity, it was nice Teal'c has an apartment while his Jaffa brothers have to live in tents.

Comment

I'm going to be honest- you guys SHOULD stop complaining. It isn't good, and if you are SG:1 fans than you wouldn't complain about every damn episode like it was the end of the world.

We are discussing the episode. There will be good and not so good eps. That's expected. What I dislike most is when a plot doesn't make sense to the rest of the SG1 story arc.

I am truly missing Jack's interaction as a team member!

Comment

Anyway, to get to my feelings on the episode, I thought it was better than Covenant, Zero Hour, and Affinity, which are on my list for the worst 3 of season 8. Not quite as good as Avater, Icon, or Lockdown. So, like I said, a decent episode. Sam's outfit was jarring to me. I liked Daniel interrogating people. The British Area 51 guy looked so familiar, but I think he was just a type I've seen before, not an actual person I recognized. I saw no ship and nothing to be construed as ship, so that made me very happy. Teal'c's part didn't seem to fit at first, but it all tied in together nicely.

Okay, you got me. I can't accept change. This message may look like it was typed on a computer and posted on the internet, but it is actually cave drawings delivered by smoke signals.

Naquada Enhanced Chastity Belts -SG1 edition. On sale now! Heck, I'll give them away

Comment

First off, who ever makes the trailers is doing a huge disservice to Stargate. Anyone who saw the trailer knew the Stargate was going to be stolen. That makes the opening scene very anticlimatic. What could have been a "Holy Crap" moment in Stargate history just fizzles because too much is given away in the trailers.

As for the episode, I think it is on par with the rest of the season, just another above average episode. I loved the humor in this episode. The humor in the opening scene between Walter and the other technician was very well done, as was Daniel's "COFFEE? You didn't say anything about coffee! Just kidding." The action is picking up, which is good. However, the "SG1 as a SWAT team" is beginning to get a bit old. It feels like SG1 has spent more time this season acting as a SWAT team than battling the Gou'ald. Even someone like myself who isn't a nitpicker had to ask why is Carter wearing a shiny leather jacket in a raid? What, where all the lime green jackets taken? Despite all that, I enjoyed the episode. Unfortunately, we have a loooong FOUR MONTHS to wait for new episodes.

Comment

Okay, I can see wondering why because he's non military (even though they had a civilian in charge of the whole operation for awhile, so a civilian having that responsibility doesn't seem so farfetched to me) but what does him being an archeologist have to do with it? It sounds like him being an archeologist is a pertinent reason why he can't be given the responsibility for investigating the gate.

It is. Are you seriously suggesting that in real life a military base would ever have an archaeologist doing interrogation on something that did not involve archaeology?? He's not trained to do interrogation. There's an art to it, and he knows nothing about it.

He got info because he let the guy keep his ill-gotten gains. A trained interrogator--and someone who was willing to get really mean--would probably have pointed out that the guy was facing the death penalty for treason, and would have gotten the info *and* let the govt keep the 2 million!

The show just doesn't have Daniel things for Daniel to do and they have to stick him into things that strain belief. It's not the character's fault; it's that the storyline has moved away from the early days.

J.
                            "He's an amazing man. After everything he's done, he's still modest. Quite self-effacing actually. He even likes people to think he's not as smart as he is. Bottom line, he's an incredibly strong leader who's given more to this program than any man has given to anything I can imagine."

Comment

It isn't healthy for everyone else on these boards when you are a negative person who cries over the smallest matters. Major Fischer looks for every little bad thing about the episode and calls the episode on it. That pretty much tells me that major Fischer does not like Stargate. If you are going to tear every damn episode to threads why watch the damn show?
                              I will respond to this because I am the one named, and I am offended. Just because I don't like an episode because I believe that it was ill thought, ill conceived, and badly executed does not mean that I am not a fan of the show.

Please do not judge my feelings about the show. I would love a 9th season. I have enjoyed episodes this season. I've enjoyed episodes that apparently no one else enjoyed I will, however, say something when something is done badly. Is it about my ego? No, not particularly. It's my opinion of one episode this season.

When I liked Icon and Covenant no one told me that I should stop saying so.
                              Last edited by Major Fischer; 18 September 2004, 09:55 AM. Reason: Calming down

Comment

Originally posted by DarkQuee1
                                It is. Are you seriously suggesting that in real life a military base would ever have an archaeologist doing interrogation on something that did not involve archaeology?? He's not trained to do interrogation. There's an art to it, and he knows nothing about it.
                                I'm seriously suggesting that Daniel isn't confined to just doing archeology. If we're going for that argument, Daniel would be locked up in a lab, never doing anything but looking at artifacts and ruins which was never all he did even from the beginning of the show. Characters on shows serve multiple functions all the time. Mainly because the big stuff is always going to be given to the people in the main cast. Major storylines will never extend to one time characters or tetriary people. If that requires a suspension of disbelief, it's one that doesn't seem farfetched to me. Like I said, although I don't agree that a civillian can't do an interrogation, especially if a civillian can be in command of a military base, I do understand why someone else might feel that way. But, I never thought that Daniel's knowledge extended solely to archeology and that must eat sleep and breathe archeology and nothing but archeology.

Comment

Working...
                                X