Sacrifices (809)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by majorsal
    Jack-Daniel scene, when Daniel was explaining everything under the sun, when all Jack wanted was how he was doing. I also got a kick out of this scene, because I'd read someone's Con report, and MS talked about screwing up this one scene over and over. They wanted it in one continuous take, and poor MS kept messing up. (((MS)))
    I read that con report as well and that made the hallway scene much more fun to watch! I kept thinking of MS just trying to get the words out while RDA patiently walked down the hall with him for 5 takes.

Chris's brother -Jeff- was in the ep, and he played a Jaffa called Aron. Anyone know which one that was?
    Oh, I didn't know that was Chris' brother!! He had a really nice part. Albion is correct, Aron was that Jaffa who was with Ishta and Teal'c as they escaped from the tent. The one Teal'c zatted, who later proved himself by saving Teal'c.

Originally posted by dancerofspaz
    Finally, there's the Sam/Jack combo, where the two of them apparently couldn't keep their hands off of each other. Haha! Just kidding. It was a great scene, because it was "physical" enough for us shippers, and also "friendly" enough for those who don't want ship. AND it finally showed how comfortable those two can be together. In the past - in the interest of showing overt ship - they always made it really awkward between the two of them. The fact that these two are friends first is a great way of approaching the ship, IMO, and they played it off very well.
    I like Sam and Jack very much as friends and thought this was a fun scene.

Actually, all the little interactions between SG-1 were good in this episode. CJ has a real feel for all the characters.
    Life is hard...and it's harder if you're stupid

Comment

Okay chaps, this being the 'Sacrifices' thread it'd be appreciated if we could discuss 'Sacrifices'. About six dozen threads already exist for discussing S/J in isolation. (Okay, probably nearer three threads than six dozen threads, but my point is the same.)

Madeleine W

Madeleine

Comment

*Happy to be blind*

Anyway, this was better than Covenant. But, that's not saying much. I liked the Jack/Daniel scene in the beginning. Teal'c was good. Not sure about Ish'ta. I liked the differences of opinion between her and Teal'c, though. Liked Daniel/Sam. And Jack/Teal'c. Nice moments there.

I could have tolerated the scene with Jack and Sam, except for the disgusting hands on the shoulder, uncomfortable look, which I guess was meant to signal some "connection" between them. Sorry, everytime they do it, it looks forced and fake

Also, Moloc was one puny looking goa'uld. Didn't have the majesty of the others.

I'm glad they didn't kill Bra'tac.
        I'm a girl! A girly girly girl!

Okay, you got me. I can't accept change. This message may look like it was typed on a computer and posted on the internet, but it is actually cave drawings delivered by smoke signals.

Naquada Enhanced Chastity Belts -SG1 edition. On sale now! Heck, I'll give them away

Daniel Jackson Appreciation and Discussion -because he's more than pretty

http://forum.gateworld.net/showthread.php?t=89

Daniel Jackson: The Beacon of Hope and The Man Who Opened the Stargate

Comment

Good episode. Most everyone else already hit the high points (the humor, etc.) I too **loved** the opening scene w/ Jank & Daniel. And the ping-pong. Way to write, CJ!!

I do have two quibbles, one of which had already been mentioned. Who knew Jack was running day-care for homeless aliens? I understand the reason for letting these people (the Haktar?) have sanctuary until they can find another planet. But we should have seen more believable reaction to the very unmilitary atmosphere of the SGC. (Yes, I realize there was nowhere else to put these people, but it just seemed way too casual. Ironically, earlier in the evening SciFi aired the episode in which we meet the Tollan, and General Hammond all but restricted them to a multi-purpose room.) (Plus, that ep was the first time we meet Narim... and then in the Atlantis episode.... Can you imagine not being familiar w/ Stargate, and seeing those two episodes in the same evening??)

My second quibble was that the tension between Rayac & his fiance seemed to be resolved too quickly. Now, somebody had the extreme nerve to speak to me and distract me after Teal'c, Ishta, etc. got back to earth, and I did see that Teal'c & Rayac were having a conversation as they walked through the SCG (where do they think they are, The West WIng??), altho I didn't hear most of it. (grrr!) But it seemed the very next scene was the wedding.

I really did enjoy the humor of this episode and while I'm not a big fan of Jolene Blalock or of a Teal'c/Ishta relationship, I thought it was overall a pretty good ep. I just think Jack should have maintained military protocol a bit more strongly. It was just a bit too casual, even for him.

Since some people are rating this episode, I'll give it a 7.5/10.
          Last edited by jyh; 11 September 2004, 05:39 AM.

Comment

Jolene Blalock is a good actress. I wasn't sure before, but now I'm convinced. When she came out of the gate I kept thinking that she's acting kinda like a drug addict. With the labored breathing, sunken features, and hunched shoulders. And it was the same thing through the entire episode. When Ishta was on the screen I kept wondering if I was the only one that could see that this woman was fiending for a fix. Is everyone blind to her problem? Someone needs to start an intervention or something.

But then, once they got on the planet and Ishta mentioned that she had lost her stash of tritonen, it all became clear. Jolene was acting like an addict because, basically, Ishta is an addict for tritonen. Now THATS acting. Without ever coming out and saying it, but only through her posture and affected speech, Jolene was able to get across a major character trait of Ishta. Teal'c is in the same situation but for some reason he doesn't show it as much. Only for a few seconds after the battle at the UAV did it look like he really needed a tritonen fix.

It leads to the question if the SGC has really helped the Jaffa with the whole tritonen thing. From one perspective, it looks like they've made a lot of Jaffa totally dependent on Earth for a constant supply of a drug where as before, a single g'ould larve would last for 90 years.

The episode was good and Judge is getting a lot better as a writer. His take on all the characters is a bit different that most of the other writers and which leads to a lot less screen time for everyone else (It would have been easy to skip over Daniel's and Sam's scenes altogether). And Judge is a genius becase so far, he's always written in a huge liplock with himself and a hottie. You the man, Chris.

D

Comment

I wasn't really looking forward to this episode. I do love Teal'c, but the whole Jaffa thing has never interested me all that much, and I didn't like Birthright at all last year.

I was pleasantly surprised though. It had some great scenes with all the team members, which I always enjoy. The Sam/Daniel scene was adorable. I loved the smiles on their faces. The teaser was simply classic Jack and Daniel. I love it when Daniel babbles on in professor-mode, although I don't know if MS likes it all that much. And Jack's innocuous question.

I loved the reactions of the team to the Jaffa and all their animals taking over the SGC. Jack and Bra'tac were great together..."you old coot". And there were quite a few other moments as well.

I think they did a good job of integrating the Jaffa storyline with the rest of the cast, better than in the past, anyway. I'm never going to be a big fan of this particular arc, but I liked it better than Covenant, at least.

All in all, I felt it was a good episode.
              Last edited by Jonisa; 11 September 2004, 06:11 AM.

Comment

I was disappointed with the episode. I did enjoy the individual scenes with Jack and Teal'c, Teal'c with Ryac, and the horses. Funny, but I didn't care for the plot that much.

I thought Jack was sleep walking through the story. Very little emotion except for the ping pong match.

Seeing Teal'c with the two staff weapons was cool. I called him a two-pistol tot'n Jaffa.

In Birthright, I thought Teal'c a chauvinist and still felt it in this ep. So what is wrong with several smaller attacks than one big attack again the Goa'uld? You don't really see him supporting Ishta's ideas.

I did laugh when Teal'c and Ishta saw all the Jaffa in front of the Stargate, and Teal'c said 'the Stargate is well guarded.' No kidding!

The one thing I did notice A LOT was the reduction of special effects. I understand you have to save money and time with production of the eps, but I do miss seeing the special effects. At the beginning, after the Jack/Daniel walk/talk, you see Bra'tac and Teal'c walking down the ramp. The puddle looked like a movie. You don't see the puddle that much with entrances or exits of characters. You don't see people getting zat or shot up like before.

Comment

Originally posted by vikingjedi
                  anybody can see Sam and Jack will end up together. It is their destiny.

I certainly hope so!! They are so cute together and I loved the corridor scene! i also loved how the horse went down the hall and they watched, I was almost falling out of my seat laughing.

Comment

My first post, so be gentle.....
                    I had to join the forum so I could say how much I LOVED the episode. To me it had the feel of an old Stargate episode, with all the new trimmings. There was real humor - you gotta love a goofball general - and just enough action to be in perfect balance with the character stuff. I loved seeing the glowing eyes again, and Bra'tac, and Ryac growing up, and even Apophis was mentioned. Like hearing about old friends. Thank you CJ for combining the old with the new and giving the show some genuine heart.

I'm not a real shipper, but I liked the hands-on-the-shoulders scene with Sam and Jack. I thought it was both a wink and a nod to fandom.

And how great to see more of RDA! He looked like he got his mojo back for this one.
                    Last edited by dblduchess; 11 September 2004, 07:21 AM.

Comment

Responding to some of the 'shippers' as they seem to have dubbed themselves...

Jack and Sam *would* be good together, but I majorly object to the TV cliche of teasing a relationship for years and years without moving forward in it, so I was pleased in Grace when Sam decided to move on.

--

Blalock is a better actress than you'd realize from watching Enterprise, but it's still bad mojo!

What I didn't like about Ishta in this episode is that...I don't know, after portraying a 'strong, female warrior,' we get her crying and fawning around before Molok and Teal'c, and practically bringing herself to tears at the start when yelling at Teal'c about not supporting R'yac. I mean...wouldn't a strong, female warrior try a little harder not to cry quite so easily? We only see Sam crying either when a friend's life is in jeopardy or when she's severely tortured like in New Order.

That being said, I'd rank Sacrifices only behind New Order and Avatar as far as this season's episodes go. I like jaffa episodes, and...well, I don't know, CJ seems to have a different take on his character than the rest of the writers that's interesting to see once in a while. Man...The Warrior...this...those jaffa rebels never get a break, do they?

Comment

I loved this ep!

Was this the 1st time we've seen Bra'tac without his helmet?I can't seem to remember another time.His humour is deadpan & funny as heck!
                        Jack: What's that smell?
                        Bra'tac:I believe it is the horses..

The "kneeling" fiasco at the 1st attempt at the wedding.Bra'tac sees the wisdom in "rehearsing such things".Kind of like the word "obey" in our traditional vows,huh?
                        Ping-pong isn't supposed to hurt but when you're pitted against an angry Jaffa,you need hockey gear.
                        Hands on the shoulders bit was funny but watching the horse go down the hall was even more so.I wonder if they had to re-take any scenes because of an animals inability to ...contain itself?Who had shovel duty ?
                        "Molec" looked familiar,who ws he?Liked how he tried to brush off the laser,then he realized there was a huge problem.A personal shield would'nt have helped even if he did have time to employ one,would it?

Last thought:
                        Any ideas of the nature of the "Rite of Orloc"?Teal'c advising the knife be as sharp as possible & R'yac's face was great.He was all for ditching some traditions then .I personally,think it was a joke the old married men play on the new groom.
                        nugglebugget

greetings from the "Bluegrass State"where the grass is actually green,just like everywhere else

Comment

Originally posted by Ramne
                          The laser used to paint the target is a high intensity laser beam, tuned to a specific frequency. The missile has a set of sensors onboard that only sense that frequency, as it bounces off of the object. Once it senses that frequency, it hones in on it, and steers the missile towards where that reflection is. It might be more technical than that, but that's the jist of it
                          Ooooh. I think I that makes sense. As long as they got the laser out of the UAV... and they did, didn't they?

And let me ask you again:
                          Did anyone else notice the reflection of the gate in the glass when Bra'tac returned? You could clearly see the stargate's reflection with a big bright light behind it and a spinning slitted disc to make the rippled light in the gateroom!!!
                          There is only one thing we can ever truly control: whether we are good, or evil.

Comment

Well, that was a lousy two weeks with no new Stargate episodes. It's been difficult not to let my other obsessions rise up and overthrow my Stargate one, but I managed because I know just how dangerous a little variety can be.

PIGGY'S USELESS OPINION
                            of 'Sacrifices'

Well, I enjoyed that very much. And I wasn't expecting to. 'Birthright' is not a favorite episode of mine, so another jaffa episode featuring Ishta didn't look too interesting. But I ended up liking it, except for the bickering between Rya'c and his girlfriend. Mostly because of the girlfriend... What's with that sudden outburst during the practice ceremony? Shouldn't she be a little more aware of the wedding traditions of her own people before deciding to go and get married? And sure, I can see why she'd have a problem with that particular aspect of it - but if she wants Rya'c's respect, then how about showing him some? I certainly didn't see any when Rya'c introduced her to his Tau'ri friends. I'm glad this issue was (briefly) addressed by Ishta. And Bra'tac, in Rya'c's case.

Anyhoo... That was really a minor annoyance in the show. There was certainly a lot more to like about it than there was to dislike. The funny bits were great - Jack and Teal'c playing ping-pong (or whatever that was), Jack getting very distracted at the horses and kids on the base, and I also found Teal'c's initial reaction to the news of Rya'c's engagement pretty amusing. Even Bra'tac was funny in this one - loved it when he called Jack "O'Neill of Minnesota". But I am left wondering what jaffa warriors need sharp knives for on their wedding night... I have a feeling I'm happier not knowing, though. (Oh, and about that particular scene - I kind of liked how the music got all dark and ominous when Teal'c started talking about that particular custom.)

The episode finishes off with some great old jaffa violence. Very nice use of the missiles from The Sentinel (Yeah, I know they weren't the same exact ones, but - you know.) and very nice use of Teal'c running up to the tent (where Ishta was held prisoner) while killing lotsa people. And, that's one more Goa'uld to scratch off the list.

Yeah... Good stuff. Now I'm gonna go get me some stinkin' food.
                            Twitter / YouTube / Twitch

Comment

Oh, and: The Goa'uld eye glowing is back! For real this time! Yay!
                              Another thing I thought was a nice touch was that this time, the "obvious jaffa traitor" actually didn't turn out to be a bad guy! Didn't see that one coming!
                              Twitter / YouTube / Twitch

Comment

I was fully expecting, when Bra'tac arrived at the SGC, Jack to say:

"Bra'tac.... you're bald!"

Great episode, loved Moloc getting blown to bits. Great to see Chris' brother too (The rebel Jaffa he zatted).

My only problem with the episode is when that Jaffa said Zat... damn you Chris!

And Bra'tac was exceptionally good in this episode.

Comment

Working...
                                X