Sacrifices (809)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Random thoughts on Sacrifices

Great episode. Great Acting all around especially Tony Amendola and Jolene Blalock, (although she may have over done it alittle with the hand device).

I loved the humor in this one: Bra'tac's "I see the wisdom in rehersing these events line" right before he takes a sip of the (I assume) ceremonial wine. The ping pong match was great and just the sight of horses wandering through the SGC was cool. "O'Neill of Minnesota"

I thought the whole Ryac and his fiance not "respecting each other" moments felt a little forced. Maybe her not knowing about the kneeling part may be because of a difference in the Moloc and Apophis Jaffa wedding ceremonies?

Christopher Judge is a great writer. I wish they would have let him title it My Big Fat Jaffa Wedding

Comment

Both times in the last 2 years when CJ has written a script, I haven't really looked forward to them (mainly because I didn't like Changeling) and both times I have have been wrong.
      Birthright was one of my favorite episodes last season and now Sacrifices will be right up as the top of my favorites for this season.
      I really enjoyed how all the various plots were wound together. I enjoyed the humor and the seriousness of it. I enjoy Teal'c having more than 2 words to say!
      I really loved the little Sam/Jack scene in the hall!
      And too bad Mol'ac (sorry if that is misspelled) was killed. Another fine looking Go'auld and we won't get to see him again.
      I rated this an outstanding episode.
      sigpic

Comment

Howdy Campers,

My two cents on Sacrifices:

* This episode was really good compared to the last few shows

* They used Mr. RDA soooo much better than they have been -- kudos to the production staff/writers for that one

* The horses in the SGC -- now that was great! I've added something else to my list of things I want to do before I get old: Ride a horse through the Stargate -- or at least down the ramp!

* The ping pong game between O'Neill and Teal'c was perfect. Especially when O'Neill sneaks in the point as Teal'c turns to leave. I guess even Generals can have down time while at work.

* The whole opening scene with Daniel rambling on, O'Neill missing the turn (classic, I say) and than never really answering O'Neill's question to begin with.

* I can't believe other people thought that Ry'ac was reminiscent of Anakin Skywalker -- a foreshadow of the future??

* Is it just me or is AT picking up on the Canadian accent? Listen to her saying "out" -- oh, yeah -- it's there

Over all, I liked the show. It was a fast paced, Earth and off world based, it had honest humor, a continuation of Teal'c's story, great sets, and the horses -- well, they go without saying. Keep up the good work, Stargate Productions!
        Bander

"LTS" -- Mr. Richard Dean Anderson

"I only understand one percent of what she says half the time." -- Col. Jack O'Neill

Comment

Originally posted by Jonisa
          I wasn't really looking forward to this episode. I do love Teal'c, but the whole Jaffa thing has never interested me all that much, and I didn't like Birthright at all last year.
          Not crazy about the Jaffa either

I was pleasantly surprised though. It had some great scenes with all the team members, which I always enjoy. The Sam/Daniel scene was adorable. I loved the smiles on their faces. The teaser was simply classic Jack and Daniel. I love it when Daniel babbles on in professor-mode, although I don't know if MS likes it all that much. And Jack's innocuous question.
          Great to see the whole team in one episode - even though they were together only for the wedding

I loved the reactions of the team to the Jaffa and all their animals taking over the SGC. Jack and Bra'tac were great together..."you old coot". And there were quite a few other moments as well.
          I love the old coot. The chaos was funny but totally unprofessional - no way to run a first line of defense.
          I think they did a good job of integrating the Jaffa storyline with the rest of the cast, better than in the past, anyway. I'm never going to be a big fan of this particular arc, but I liked it better than Covenant, at least.

All in all, I felt it was a good episode.
          It certainly was better than Covenant or Affinity.
          When are they going to write a script where Jack and Sam react as adults.
          sigpic
          Distinguished Service Ribbon Goa'uld Campaign
          My Stories zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz Artwork by Mala

Comment

Originally posted by auralan

What was with nobody mentioning Sam's engagement when there was a whole wedding being planned and happening on base? Seriously, wouldn't she say something or have somebody at least tease her about it? Very odd. Newly engaged couples usually can't shut up about being engaged and then they can't shut up about wedding planning. I expected a mention. That there wasn't one makes me wonder if she has gotten around to spreading the news. Still, it's even more odd if she hasn't told people. I don't get it.
            Yes you would think with a wedding being planned in the SGC, Sam's engagement might be mentioned even if it was just to cite different customs like the kneeling to the husband.

Oh yeah, I thought Jaffa didn't consume alcohol. Bra'tac scarfs down the ceremonial glass of wine(?)
            sigpic
            My Stories zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz Artwork by Mala

Comment

Originally posted by pettygrew
              They can sting.

Think of it this way: Jack was trying to get Teal'c to release some of his anger, and rather than sparring, where he could really get hurt, he decided to have him play ping pong.

pettygrew
              And we all know that Jack only whines about little things. If his legs is hanging on by a thread, he says he is fine; if he has a hangnail, he moans and groans.
              sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Ugly Pig
                Oh, and: The Goa'uld eye glowing is back! For real this time! Yay!
                Another thing I thought was a nice touch was that this time, the "obvious jaffa traitor" actually didn't turn out to be a bad guy! Didn't see that one coming!
                I was surprised at that one too. I really thought he was a traitor.
                sigpic

Comment

OOOOOOH I really liked this episode!! Very funny, very good I loved the Friendly interaction between Sam and Jack, touchy feeliness!!! Yeah!!

Comment

Originally posted by Bandersnatch
                    * Is it just me or is AT picking up on the Canadian accent? Listen to her saying "out" -- oh, yeah -- it's there
                    actually, it's there more often than that. in Memento you can hear it, especially in her 'hello'....even back in singularity.

she doesn't have much of one, but it really shows on the 'o' 's
                    Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

I didn´t like this episode. The basic idea was a fairly good one and it certainly beats all the earth heavy stuff we have been getting lately.

The problem with it was that I thought the writing was horrible, the dialog was poorly writen and the acting not up to standard.

It´s only saving grace would have been the missiles ramming into the jaffa and the goa´uld but of course they didn´t show that.

Comment

Originally posted by Skydiver
                        actually, it's there more often than that. in Memento you can hear it, especially in her 'hello'....even back in singularity.

she doesn't have much of one, but it really shows on the 'o' 's

I noticed it a lot in Lockdown, during the scene where they talked about Teal'c's apartment. Didn't hear it so much here.
                        I'm a girl! A girly girly girl!

Okay, you got me. I can't accept change. This message may look like it was typed on a computer and posted on the internet, but it is actually cave drawings delivered by smoke signals.

Naquada Enhanced Chastity Belts -SG1 edition. On sale now! Heck, I'll give them away

Daniel Jackson Appreciation and Discussion -because he's more than pretty

http://forum.gateworld.net/showthread.php?t=89

Daniel Jackson: The Beacon of Hope and The Man Who Opened the Stargate

Comment

Re the letting everyone wander loose around the SGC. There is a difference between Ishta's people and the Tollans someone cited earlier, however.

The Tollans were an unknown, they had already shown themselves to be ungrateful, hostile, unfriendly and were technologically vastly superior to us. Of course they were confined and guarded.

In contrast, by this time, Ishta and her people are allies. A much better comparision would be with the Tok'ra than the Tollans. Her camp is relatively small, so it's not unlikely that by this point the SGC know most everyone well.

Albion
                          Listen, we had General Ryan come on and do a little cameo for us, and he's a real live four star, one of the big guys. And I had to ask him point blank, because there's a certain irreverence that I bring to the character, and denseness, but while we were doing this scene, I just looked at him and said, "Do you have guys like me in...?" and he stopped me and said, "Yes, and worse, and you're doing a fine job, son."

Richard Dean Anderson

Comment

So far this is one of my favorite episodes of season 8. It had some nice action, it was funny and I really liked the interaction between the SG1 team members. They were funny and comfortable with each other, which was nice to see. It was great to see all the development between the Jaffa women, the SGC. I did appreciate the Carter and O'Neill moment, it was pretty nice. Chris Judge should definitely write for Stargate more often.
                            Last edited by Jamaica03; 13 September 2004, 07:09 PM.

Comment

Since I am fond of saying when I don't like something, it is only fair that I chime in when I do like an episode.

I would not rate this episode as highly as some of you have, but I did find it better than others this season. The humor was enjoyable---the walk-and-talk with Daniel and Jack, the chaos with the women, children and horse, the Daniel and Sam scene with Ryac and Karin(sp?), the walk-and-talk with Jack and Sam, the ping pong/target practice, the "old coot" line to Bratac--Bratac in general, the horse in the hall, all the scenes with Jack. This episode had a good "feel".

The story moved well and was not as disjointed as some of the other stories this season. I'm not a big fan of the Jaffa world, but it is always nice to see that Teal'c has a life that he is committed to. I've noticed from some of the earlier episodes that Teal'c has the most complete character of the four. He has the religious mysticism. He is the product of a highly structured society that he respects, but also questions. He's strong, yet he can weep and hug without embarassment at the proper time. He is quiet and stoic, but he is a presence nonetheless. When he speaks, it is because he has something to say. He does have flaws, just as the rest do. Not bad for a guy you'd certainly like to have guarding your back in good fight.

The strong story is the Ishta fanaticism. It is good counterpoint to Teal'c's earlier short approaches to the destruction of the Goa'ld. He shows he has learned a lot. I, as did someone else, find it strange that Ishta would have allowed herself to be captured. The ending showed that maybe Ishta has learned something also.

The substitution of the tritonin(sp?) for the primta is disquieting. We have gotten these people hooked on drugs like the Goa'ld got the bounty hunter's people hooked on that drug. Is this a good thing? Inquiring minds want to know.

One thing no one has mentioned is the survival of that DHD when the missiles exploded on Moloc. How could the DHD have made it when the two missiles landed practically on top of it since they were "painted" on Moloc and he was standing right next to it? I understand how the gate would be ok because it is tough and has withstood worse, but DHDs seem more fragile and I would think it would be a small black, burning lump of materials when those missiles went off. How then do they get back through the gate? Just asking.

Thanks for listening--er-reading.

Comment

Originally posted by muffo
                                One thing no one has mentioned is the survival of that DHD when the missiles exploded on Moloc. How could the DHD have made it when the two missiles landed practically on top of it since they were "painted" on Moloc and he was standing right next to it? I understand how the gate would be ok because it is tough and has withstood worse, but DHDs seem more fragile and I would think it would be a small black, burning lump of materials when those missiles went off. How then do they get back through the gate? Just asking.
                                In most cases where we've seen the gate survive something significantly bad, the DHD has as well. I don't think it's all that fragile (they seem to survive being barried under rock, ocean, ice, explosions...

Comment

Working...
                                X