Covenant (808)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Seaboe Muffinchucker View Post
    A show doesn't last as long as this one did without producing episodes for a variety of tastes. This inevitably means that there are episodes that various fans dislike for various reasons. If they didn't, it would mean they were doing the same thing over and over, not attracting new fans, and not showing growth.

Seaboe
    Of course. I noticed the reaction to Full Alert was largely positive, and I wasn't crazy about that one. If anything, I can re-watch older episodes that I like more. I know the rest of the show will have a variety of stories to tell, so I'm still looking forward to the coming seasons.

I don't expect others to share my opinion, but it's still satisfying to post my thoughts here. Hopefully I don't sound too negative.
    rest easy now

sigpic

everything will be all right

// tumblr //

Comment

You didn't notice I pretty much hate this episode? I'm shocked.

For me, a major problem with this episode is specialized knowledge. I know the rules for working for the government, and I know how serious the consequences are for breaking them. Watching this jerk deliberately sabotage his own company and employees because of his blind adherence to "justice" annoys me (to put it mildly).

Seaboe
      If you're going to allow yourself to be offended by a cat, you might as well just pack it in -- Steven Brust

Comment

You didn't notice I pretty much hate this episode? I'm shocked.
        Haha, I noticed. I've been getting some of the episodes for this season mixed up as I visit the different threads. The conspiracy/Trust/Earth episodes are really a mishmash for me at this point.

For me, a major problem with this episode is specialized knowledge. I know the rules for working for the government, and I know how serious the consequences are for breaking them. Watching this jerk deliberately sabotage his own company and employees because of his blind adherence to "justice" annoys me (to put it mildly).

Seaboe
        Eh, who cares about all of *those* people. It's justice that we need, and there's only one man brave enough to get it at all costs.
        Last edited by Janet Fraiser; 06 August 2015, 09:27 AM.
        rest easy now

sigpic

everything will be all right

// tumblr //

Comment

What was Jack implying with this line?

O'NEILL
          We know who he is.
          (to Carter, pointedly)
          Some of us better than others.

CARTER
          We worked together briefly, sir. Colson Aviation developed the multi engine control systems for the F-302s. Colson didn't know what they were for, of course, but he is a brilliant engineer.

Was he implying something deeper than a professional relationship?

Comment

Originally posted by Claire98909 View Post
            What was Jack implying with this line?

O'NEILL
            We know who he is.
            (to Carter, pointedly)
            Some of us better than others.

CARTER
            We worked together briefly, sir. Colson Aviation developed the multi engine control systems for the F-302s. Colson didn't know what they were for, of course, but he is a brilliant engineer.

Was he implying something deeper than a professional relationship?
            At one time, there was apparently some thought within the writers of SG1 to have Sam have a history with Alec Colson, but they decided not to go with it, but they evidently didn't think to change Jack's comments there. At least, that's my understanding of the situation.

Comment

Working together on some maybe sensitive object/subject means that you have to know each other quite well - otherwise there is no profit from working together. Carter is not that type of woman to have had relationships with whoever appears on her doorstep - scientist, alien or alien criminal. IMO.
              Last edited by Anja; 06 October 2015, 02:13 AM. Reason: word missing
              CARPE DIEM
              ANJA

Comment

I'm guessing they didn't have the budget to bring William Devane in but I was disappointed they skipped over the scene where the President and O'Neill try to get some Asgard tech out of Thor

Comment

Alec Colson looked like an interesting character, maybe he should be a recurring one in a future SG spinoff.

His office was the re-furnished SG:A balcony set.
                  Last edited by Platschu; 03 September 2018, 07:42 AM.
                  "I was hoping for another day. Looks like we just got a whole lot more than that. Let's not waste it."

"Never underestimate your audience. They're generally sensitive, intelligent people who respond positively to quality entertainment."

"Individual science fiction stories may seem as trivial as ever to the blinder critics and philosophers of today, but the core of science fiction, its essence, has become crucial to our salvation, if we are to be saved at all."

Comment

Alec Coulson was a jerk and an selfish asshat.

Seaboe
                    If you're going to allow yourself to be offended by a cat, you might as well just pack it in -- Steven Brust

Comment

i always hated the glyder scene where he appears to be crashing into the ground, that was the one event that went to far on many levels, perhaps as a engineer he knows the exact limits of the ships systems and his suit, but did he take the time to read that planets gravity information and weather effects on flight? maybe he did, maybe it doesnt even matter with the type of engines the f302s utilize, but he was beyond shelfish endangering two brilliant engineers lives, a competent and trustworthy ceos life, and a important military and dignitarys life, losing them both would be like losing daniels translation abilities at the begining of sg1s run :/

but thats purely instory stuff, i did like his character overall, and his loooks perhaps too, he was a .... to borrow red foremans lingo, a ass hat, but he was a good ass hat that was useful and could change and become even better as a offworld engineer running ia f-304 manufacturie or whatever they would design next

Comment

This was a fairly OK episode.

It certainly has an interesting plotline where a tech-company guy wants to expose the stargate program to the public, no matter the consequences such a reveal might have on the general public, or basically the world.

Would the public be able to live with the knowledge? Or not? Nobody really knows, I guess, but considering the alien technology the US and Russia to the extent are developing with regards to weaponry and ships -- I can only guess that would not go over well with the rest of the world, and we'd be killing each other into oblivion sooner rather than later.

Never mind the god-complex of the Goa'uld and how that would affect what people believe or not believe.

Anyways... notice how little we go off-world. Quite a few stories now have taken place mainly on Earth, like the stargate itself has become a secondary thought to the show.

Alec Colson's office floor on what will become part of the Atlantis set or perhaps the Atlantis set existed and they borrowed it for the episode.

How would you rate SG-1's "Covenant"?

Excellent
                        Good
                        Fair
                        Poor
                        Terrible
                        Heightmeyer's Lemming -- still the coolest Lemming of the forum

Proper Stargate Rewatch -- season 10 of SG-1

Comment

I'm sure I've said before that I hate this episode. Because of what I do, I know what the real world reaction to Colson's actions would be, and it would not be pretty. Clearly, TPTB had no clue how US government contracting works.

Seaboe

Comment

Or they simply didn't care to ask how it works.

-----------------

3-episode quiz: Avatar, Affinity & Covenant

Jigsaw puzzle: Covenant
                            Heightmeyer's Lemming -- still the coolest Lemming of the forum

Proper Stargate Rewatch -- season 10 of SG-1

Comment

14:47
                              http://i.imgur.com/gDxdl9E.gif

​ ​

Comment

Originally posted by Falcon Horus View Post
                                Or they simply didn't care to ask how it works.
                                You're probably right. Like they didn't care, so they had Rodney talking about OSHA requirements on Atlantis (1. OSHA is a US agency--why would a Canadian care? B. OSHA would have no jurisdiction in Atlantis), had the Air Force design and build the F-302 (ha!), and threw around treason convictions like it was a petty crime.

This one bothers me more than the others, though.

Seaboe

Comment

Working...
                                X