No announcement yet.

Affinity (807)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sometimes different is good! In this case, not so much I'm afraid.

I enjoyed the look at Teal'c trying to be a normal citizen of the planet Earth but it just came off as a little cliched. Poor Teal'c has to go back to the SGC, I guess, which makes me sad. He did look great tonight and I rather liked some of his scenes in the real world. He's picked up a lot of tips watching Trading Spaces!

Sam and Pete. *Sigh* You know I was originally in favor of a minor story arc that might explore the difficulties of having a personal life outside the SGC. Knew it wouldn't go anywhere but thought it might give Sam some interesting development. But jeez, this is really not the way to do it. Sam is coming off like a sap, frankly. She's not exactly looking like someone who can't wait to get married and if she's not ready she should have just said no. Blech... I'm surprised they didn't have Pete speak straight into the camera when he said the bit about stalking.

The bit with the NID, excuse me the "Trust", was kind of intriguing. A little one-dimensional in the "bad guy" department but I'm kind of interested to see where they turn up next.
    Life is hard...and it's harder if you're stupid

Comment

Actually, I want to add one more thing that bothered me about the episode. It was a nagging feeling when I first watched, but it's really lingering as I think about the episode.

The whole bit where Sam talked about how glad she was that Pete didn't run away when he found out the truth about her career felt desperate. It has to take a pretty low self-image to think you have so little to offer a relationship that your career could scare somebody away that easily when plenty of other people at your workplace in your situation manage personal lives and families successfully. I hate seeing Sam look that desperate to make it work and hang onto something because they guy didn't die or run off. That's just sad and the wrong reason to stay in a relationship.

I feel sorry for her. I never really felt sorry for Sam before except in a wince on her behalf when she's injured sort of way. It's sad to see her like that. I want more for her than settling for the guy who didn't flee in terror.
      *Whenever the Opportunity Arises take it in Hand*

Comment

As I said, I am NOT a shipper. This is not about ship to me. This is about ... what I think is TPTB not being true to the character. They started trying to force things.

They wanted to break the "curse" so they set out to make a character that wouldn't die. In a show that wont guarrentee us that their most beloved characters wont die, that kind of immunity makes the character unnatural.

They were surprised by the fan reaction, and were dismissive of it. I think that they might have married themselves (pardon any implications) to the idea of the character to spite a fan base. To spite a fan base. Anyone else wondering why the heck they'd think that was a good idea?

To address the fan base, to tweek, dig, insult, tease, I don't know, they put a conversation in that seemed forced. It violated logic, and even made the character uncomfortable (Carter did not seem comfortable with the scene).

This is not about "shippers" or anti-"shippers". This is not about liking or disliking Pete (I actually don't have THAT much trouble with the fundamental character). This is about the writers, and TPTB forcing something.

I just wish they wouldn't.

Comment

Originally posted by Vyse
          The sound effect was that of Asgard transporters, not rings. They both have very distinct sounds.
          Asgard transporters don't throw light across the room, and you saw a burst of light shine on unconscious Daniel and Krista.

You know, I didn't know how much people were against the Sam/Pete thing here. But, I'd like to speak up on behalf of 'Concerned Citizens Against Lame Pandering'.

Don't listen to them, producers! Do what's best for the storyline, not the safe predictable thing that all the fans beg for! Once you start pandering, you're on a slippery slope..

I agree about the 'too many episodes on earth' thing. It's like, without Jack's strong military presence they don't think they could write a good action episode. Either that or they're trying to save on set design...

Hey, maybe with all they've saved on set design this year, they won't have to do another clip show!

Comment

One thing that bothered me was how Daniel translated the symbols, i find it hard to believe he did it so quickly without any notes.

Also if Teal'c was smart he would've brought Krista to the SGC, she wouldn't have to see the gate or anything, just onto the surface part of the base would have been sufficient.

Comment

Blah... didn't really like this episode. It didn't get interesting until the whole NID thing came up. I liked that Teal'c moved off base and everything, it just took way too long to get to the whole "murder" thing. This would have been a good episode to do a CSI or Law and Order crossover-imagine how that would have gone! The whole pizza place thing was slightly improbable.

Other things wrong with this episode:

Number of things blown up: NONE! Well, unless you count the door thingy
              Things shot: A coffee cup! And Daniel and Christa shot once with zat
              Sam/Pete: Yeah, just don't care it's boring and slows everything down. Although there was an interesting discussion with Teal'c about Jaffa relationships (A weapon is sometimes needed...)
              Times Gate activated: 0
              Number of planets on: 1-Earth, boring!
              Guest stars: Krista- Eh, OK... highly predictable though "It's over now, for good" Even without seeing the preview, it's kinda obvious what happened. Although Teal'c the fern killer might not have known. Kid with skateboard- Kinda annoying. NID dudes- basic bad guys seen 'em before in every movie ever made

Another bad thing is I didn't get to see any shippers faces for the whole Sam/Pete thing and laugh at them... dangnabit.

OK, so some of that stuff is a reach, but I just wanted to get the point across that I did not like this episode and it's not because I'm a shipper.
              Why yes, I am aware that I am too sexy for my cat
              RIP Stargate SG-1: The iris may be closed, but the gate will always be spinning, lighting the chevrons in my heart

And to the Sci Fi Channel...

Comment

Originally posted by Orce
                My personal belief about the Sam/Jack relationship is that there will be that one defining episode that will either say that they will be together in the end or they don't have a chance. Judging by how this genre goes and by relationships in all other types of shows, if they were to get together, it would probably be a season finale, perhaps of Stargate's final season.

I don't disagree with you but it was TPTB that made their relationship canon and since they did I would like to see them get together before the last episode. And since TPTB have upted the anty as it were, with Pete, I would like to see something significant happen between them other than just a fishing invitation. In the past I would have been happy with just that but NOT anymore.
                Ship Nana

Comment

[QUOTE=Bobthespirit]Asgard transporters don't throw light across the room, and you saw a burst of light shine on unconscious Daniel and Krista.

You are incorrect, the Asgard transporters do have a light that travels some distance, also once again the sound effects were Asgard transporters, not rings.

Comment

Originally posted by Bobthespirit
                    Asgard transporters don't throw light across the room, and you saw a burst of light shine on unconscious Daniel and Krista.
                    Yeah they do.
                    Remember the episode "Disclosure" when Thor appears before the Ambassadors.
                    Blinding light.
                    *Peter turns on the energy based iris while Atlantis is very low on power*
                    McKay - "Using power, using power, using power..."

Comment

Originally posted by EYU86
                      Yeah they do.
                      Remember the episode "Disclosure" when Thor appears before the Ambassadors.
                      Blinding light.
                      Exactly.

Comment

Originally posted by Vyse
                        One thing that bothered me was how Daniel translated the symbols, i find it hard to believe he did it so quickly without any notes.
                        Maybe he translated it back in his office when he first recieved it and memorized it?
                        Daniel:Nyet
                        Jack: Daniel?
                        Daniel: He just asked me if we were Soviet Spies. I just...
                        Jack: Nyet???

Comment

Originally posted by crazylinguist
                          Maybe he translated it back in his office when he first recieved it and memorized it?
                          That makes sense, thanks. He wanted to know the context, so he was hoping to discover what it was.

Comment

Originally posted by auralan
                            Actually, I want to add one more thing that bothered me about the episode. It was a nagging feeling when I first watched, but it's really lingering as I think about the episode.

The whole bit where Sam talked about how glad she was that Pete didn't run away when he found out the truth about her career felt desperate. It has to take a pretty low self-image to think you have so little to offer a relationship that your career could scare somebody away that easily when plenty of other people at your workplace in your situation manage personal lives and families successfully. I hate seeing Sam look that desperate to make it work and hang onto something because they guy didn't die or run off. That's just sad and the wrong reason to stay in a relationship.

I feel sorry for her. I never really felt sorry for Sam before except in a wince on her behalf when she's injured sort of way. It's sad to see her like that. I want more for her than settling for the guy who didn't flee in terror.
                            Or settling for second best!
                            Ship Nana

Comment

Originally posted by Major Fischer
                              A black ops air force lieutenant colonel is walking in the park, with tons of people around, within feet, and certainly within ear shot, while her boyfriend discusses the most important national security secret ever.

And she lets him continue, with little more than a 'you know i can't talk about that.'

That bothered me a lot more than the romance. It's making Carter look incompetent. She could got to the US Disciplinary Barracks at Leavenworth for that. I'm deadly serious. No matter how many times she's saved the world.
                              This is a good point. She never should have let him keep talking. There were lots of people around and she could get in huge trouble for it. You'd think they could have put the scene somewhere much more private if they wanted to discuss those sorts of things. It wouldn't have been hard to handle the subject without bringing her adherence to security regulations into question.
                              *Whenever the Opportunity Arises take it in Hand*

Comment

First of all -- okay, I'm admittedly a shipper, but I've tried being open to this whole Pete thing. That being said, this episode was reeeeeeally cliche. Especially the end. Come on! (Let me paraphrase: "I have no idea if I'm ready for marriage, if my career will allow it, and I also have deep feelings for someone else. But, since you did such a nice job tracking down the bad guys' rental car, yes, I'll marry you.")

And how lame, making poor Teal'c move back into his "cell" at the SGC! I totally loved his apartment!!
                                -Kari

My Fanfiction -- I love reviews!

Comment

Working...
                                X