No announcement yet.

Affinity (807)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I can live for months on the one scene with Sam & Jack.
    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Major Fischer
      My other major issue, besides feeling like a lot of the Sam/Pete thing was forced as a tweek (I don't think they meant it as an insult) at the fans, was the scene with the ring.

Let's put it this way:

A black ops air force lieutenant colonel is walking in the park, with tons of people around, within feet, and certainly within ear shot, while her boyfriend discusses the most important national security secret ever.

And she lets him continue, with little more than a 'you know i can't talk about that.'

That bothered me a lot more than the romance. It's making Carter look incompetent. She could got to the US Disciplinary Barracks at Leavenworth for that. I'm deadly serious. No matter how many times she's saved the world.

See, this is ONE (and I repeat, just ONE) of the shippers' many issues with P. (can't even type out his whole name). Sam is not the kick-a$$, in command, confident woman we've come to expect after 7 years when she's with P. She's diminished in many ways. Sometimes I think it's intentional, to let her slip off that wonder woman pedestal a bit before getting her (rightfully) with Jack, but then I wonder if TPTB even see the changes (for the worse) in the character.

BAAHHH!

still too worked up to be eloquent.

Di

Comment

Spoilers for 807
        +
        +
        +
        +
        +
        +
        +

In new TVZone AT sez her character would not say certain things in 807 ("fans will hate me...") and RC sez it progresses the story line re Pete -- anyone know what scene is being referenced? Also hoping for good explanation of the cryptic conversation between Sam and O'Neill re "if things were different..." "I wouldn't be here..."

Must say I did not react in mature reasonable fashion to the "yes" -- sceamed obscenities at TV until animals ran from room. As sanity slowly returns, I'm trying to credit Sam for being determined to make full exploration of the Pete relationship.

Usually watch the second airing but cannot stomach it -- except for how hot O'Neill looked in lab scene!

Comment

Originally posted by marimba26
          well, just so we're clear on the exact meaning of my comments...

I qualified this a soap-opera-ish because of the STYLE of the ep as a whole NOT because of the emotions and love interests. We've seen plenty of other eps that focused on the same things with a totally different style. Oh the acting is fine, the style wasn't. Of course as you are well aware, this is just MHO so before you call someone 'negative and short-sighted' you should consider that. Last I checked, EVERYONE was allowed to post their opinions here as long as they don't PERSONALLY attack others--which is exactly what you just did to me. I was not attacking ANYTHING but this episode and I do believe forum rules allow me to hate said ep.
          I was by no means attacking your comments. I believe that your comments were well thought out and partly true. The last time you checked EVERYONE was allowed to post your opinions? Well, I wasn't attacking you, I was inputting my opinion about your opinion. If that justifies "attacking" you, then I'm sorry. I have had experiences on this forum where let's say a Sam/Jack shipper(no offense people, I qualify as one too) has bashed a thread or comment or episode because it wasn't what they wanted to see. I am by no means comparing people like this to you, but the fact is that it has happened before and it wil happen again.

Comment

Nah, Stargate started out Episodic, and it was good. Now it's a real living and breathing show, which characters that I WANT to see in more down to earth circumstances of.

Comment

Originally posted by Hawkeye
              Spoilers for 807
              +
              +
              +
              +
              +
              +
              +

In new TVZone AT sez her character would not say certain things in 807 ("fans will hate me...") and RC sez it progresses the story line re Pete -- anyone know what scene is being referenced? Also hoping for good explanation of the cryptic conversation between Sam and O'Neill re "if things were different..." "I wouldn't be here..."

Must say I did not react in mature reasonable fashion to the "yes" -- sceamed obscenities at TV until animals ran from room. As sanity slowly returns, I'm trying to credit Sam for being determined to make full exploration of the Pete relationship.

Usually watch the second airing but cannot stomach it -- except for how hot O'Neill looked in lab scene!

Believe me, you were not the only one screaming at the TV!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Major Fischer
                My other major issue, besides feeling like a lot of the Sam/Pete thing was forced as a tweek (I don't think they meant it as an insult) at the fans, was the scene with the ring.

Let's put it this way:

A black ops air force lieutenant colonel is walking in the park, with tons of people around, within feet, and certainly within ear shot, while her boyfriend discusses the most important national security secret ever.

And she lets him continue, with little more than a 'you know i can't talk about that.'

That bothered me a lot more than the romance. It's making Carter look incompetent. She could got to the US Disciplinary Barracks at Leavenworth for that. I'm deadly serious. No matter how many times she's saved the world.
                That was REALLY odd I thought. It didn't make sense at all. He had to get seriously injured for her to even tell him and I distinctly remember that she also told him that the information she was giving him was classified. Makes no sense for them to talk about it in a public place.

It does make her look incompetant--not a way I like to think of Sam. And you're right, it would get her a nice bunk at Leavenworth. I remember something in a recent interview stating that as a Colonel, Sam would be a credit to military women. I don't think I know any military women who talk about top secret material in public with their boyfriends. It makes Sam look foolish and I don't like that at all.
                Marimba FBI - Video Surveillance Division
                Lemming #25 Frothing Fan Lemming

Vids by Marimba, Tamefarrar and Ruralstar!
                Big hugs to Ruralstar for the banner!

Comment

Good episode. Got to see things we hadn't before and opened a few threads we'll have to follow a bit. I don't read way ahead except for one episode ahead of what's shown.

Got to see more of RDA as BG Oneill. He's getting more used to his role and doing well with it. A bit of impatience and a sort of "off with his head" mentality that serves his position well. Can't wait to see what's next.

Yes, sad to see Teal'c's 'outside living' jaunt end. Had to give it a try though. It wouldn't have been 'Teal'cish' if he didn't seem a bit over the top to us mere mortals.

Danny got shot - again - poor guy!! Did enjoy seeing him in civilian clothes. Enjoyed his edgeness. DJ had a bit of a different feel to him tonight. Sort of continuing the change in his character since S7.

The Jack/Sam conversation was 'loaded' to say the least. Thought the way she finally said 'yes' actually degraded Sam's usual outstanding professionalism. Sort of cheap actually.

"The Trust" - they'll be back. To bad they killed Simmons. Mayborne anyone?

A good Friday night outing with the SG1. You don't always have to leave Earth for a good time!
                  sigpic
                  Vancouver 2010
                  Chicago 2010
                  Chicago 2011
                  Jack's CSM

Comment

Originally posted by anisea
                    sry you all. i took back what i previously stated about the stalker line. emotions were running a little high and i see the inappropriateness of that comment.

i still don't sit well with pete. sam is too independent to settle with him. her concerns were justified in the episode. she never should have caved in.
                    You have nothing to apologize for! You are entitled to an honest reaction!
                    Marimba FBI - Video Surveillance Division
                    Lemming #25 Frothing Fan Lemming

Vids by Marimba, Tamefarrar and Ruralstar!
                    Big hugs to Ruralstar for the banner!

Comment

Okay, I hated this ep. Yes, I am a shipper for Jack and Sam. But that is not the only reason. The ep was far too cliche. The Karate Kid scenes, the super hero Teal'c, the silly girl next door with the drunk boyfriend, and don't forget the old lady with the cat!!!

Teal'c storyline could have been a good one. I enjoy watching eps that feature CJ's acting abilities. For the most part, the poor man has stood around looking mean for eight years when he is a wonderful actor when given the chance at a good storyline. I would have loved it if there had been more meat to Teal'c's storyline.

The wardrobe department should be fired. Daniel looked ridiculous in the white t-shirt that made a perfectly hunky MS look fat!! How does that happen? Sam's wardrobe, well, I know AT likes pink, but that jacket looked like something she picked up in "1969" or was left over from 1969! She is a light colonel so I know she makes good money, let her dress in civies that show it!

The scene's were cut too choppy. I was surprised that Peter deLuise directed this one. I usually love his eps but this one didn't do it for me (and it wasn't just the topic).

Okay, now to the Pete and Sam storyline. She didn't seem happy about the ring, although she did seem happy that he was moving closer. I realize that in the time line of the show, it's probably been at least eight months or more that they have been seeing each other, but other than a couple of off hand mentions of him, there hasn't been anything to indicate that the relationship was to the point of a marriage proposal. Although I was spoiled on this ep, it still didn't seem right that it was moving this fast.

As far as the stalker line, I don't know whether to be insulted or flattered. I believe that was started in the GW forum so TPTB do pay some attention, but it almost seemed like a slam at the shippers.

Sam's acceptance was totally off. She says she needs more time in one scene and two scenes later she says yes. The doubts she showed with Jack and the doubts she showed in the car just magically vanished with the raid on the warehouse. Why? It didn't make sense. There needed to be something that would indicate why she made her decision.

And as far as the kissing in the warehouse, well, talk about totally unprofessional behavior. I just don't see the whole setting as working. I am not sure who wrote this ep, but it was not up to SG1 standards that I have seen in the past. Especially not with the quality eps that we've seen so far in season eight.

Yes, as a shipper, I was disappointed in this ep for the obvious reasons, but as a SG1 fan, which I have been longer than I have been a shipper, this one was an ep to forget.

Comment

Mod hat on here

This is an episode that people are feeling strongly about. Their feelings are not right or wrong for anyone but them.

Debating the show is fine, debating whether a person is right or wrong, is not.

Let's keep it clean please.

Back to your regular post episode postage
                        Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by marimba26
                          That was REALLY odd I thought. It didn't make sense at all. He had to get seriously injured for her to even tell him and I distinctly remember that she also told him that the information she was giving him was classified. Makes no sense for them to talk about it in a public place.

It does make her look incompetant--not a way I like to think of Sam. And you're right, it would get her a nice bunk at Leavenworth. I remember something in a recent interview stating that as a Colonel, Sam would be a credit to military women. I don't think I know any military women who talk about top secret material in public with their boyfriends. It makes Sam look foolish and I don't like that at all.
                          We've seen this in other episodes,where people are talking about classified information, so that wasn't that big of a deal. I saw Sam look around when Pete started talking about it. She would probably be aware if someone were listening in. And it's not like the people in this country have been so rude to listen in on someone's conversations. There were no people that just stood near the bench that they were sitting on.

Comment

Originally posted by Selmak
                            I'm not sure that it was an Asgard transporter... It sounded somewhat like a ring transporter but more like the Atlantis elevator thing.
                            I thought it was a ring transporter too.
                            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by lapislazuliswan

Nepotisim is the curse of all entertainment, which is why,
                              in their infinite wisdom, our producers are goofing up Stargate with the "Stalker Pete" plot.

Everybody wants to help their relatives, ok then, which is why Pete needs to die mid-season, leaving Sam mourning her fiancee/spouse, as is proper for members of SG-1. (!)

Then Dave DeLuise can get back to doing Beneful ads, having gotten lots of useful exposure on one of the most popular shows on cable, and our saddened, but determined team can get back through the gate to kick some goa'uld ass.
                              LOL. I just adore that that was your first post.

ship = , no ship = , AU Martouf =

Comment

Originally posted by Orce
                                I was hoping for a little more when Jack and Sam were talking about Pete's proposal. That whole scene kinda left me hanging.
                                Hangin? As in hung out to freakin dry.

Okay I don't know how to do the spoiler cut thing as I never post in threads that require it, but I will post tonight so...
                                My apologies if this is not enough.

Okay first of all. Yes another earth based story. Aside from a small portion of New Order and the ep Icon all the eps have been on earth this year. A very bad pattern IMHO to get into. I would assume that at least one of the reasons is RDA's schedule, but I don't know that for sure. Anyway... Up til this point I've enjoyed all the eps, some more than others, but I've enjoyed them all.

Then we get this.

Teal'c getting an apartment was mentioned a few eps back. That's great, yay Teal'c, but did we need an entire ep focusing on his trials and tribulations? There was very little having to do with the SGC and the Stargate at all. We get the cloak and dagger bad guys and Daniel handing over the info. Way to go Danny boy. If he had said no what would they have done, shot Krista? Uh why bother. If Daniel had nothing to loose then he still wouldn't have told them. No real drama there guys.

Teal'c was cool and reminded me a bit of Crocodile Dundee in NYC with the throwing of the fruit or whatever, but his section dragged a bit. Was anyone surprised when the girl kissed him? Can we say desperation and rebound?

And now to the real reason I'm in here... and for the antishippers in the thread, tough cookies. You all can have your say and I'm sure you will. I have not been bemoaning this ep for weeks as I don't read spoilers. I haven't debated with anyone and I'm only just now crawling back from the concussion given to the SJers by tonight's turn of events.

What the heck is wrong with Sam?

Okay first off, Gee Pete way to admit you were 'stalking' her in Chimera. Sincere thanks to PdL for that little bit of dialogue. And oh gee we're moving to Colorado how nice.

So he proposes, fine and dandy. So Sam is all contemplative and she's sitting in her lab and Jack walks in. My God she showed him the ring. My dear God. Can we say ripped out heart? Can we say devastated?

"What about you, if things had been different?"

"I wouldn't be here."

Well of course not, he would still be married. Or gee Sam if you had come to your freakin senses instead of saying "Oh yes, Pete, it's fine that you had sex with me and left me like a rag in the bed, and then proceeded to stalk me. Yes that's fine let me tell you all about my classified life" FCOL. Yeah this is plausible, every red blooded woman would knuckle under in that fashion.

If she had come to her senses after the events of Lost City Jack might have retired. His 'not being here' can be taken alot of ways. As in "I would be keeping the home fires burning for you, Sam" So what else can he say after being slapped in the face? Kudos to PdL for giving us a closeup of Jack's face while he tried to swallow the news.

What is she, desperate? I mean a guy shows her some attention, does she have to hurry up and reveal all in case he disappears? Pretty obvious Petey boy is not going anywhere.

And then after all the hemming and hawing she says yes. Oh yeah, that's a union that's rock solid. She obviously has doubts, again is she freakin desperate?

How do I feel...

Well I think this is a crappy way to treat a segment of the fandom. I find the twists and turns of the Pete/Sam relationship to be very unhealthy. Implausible is not the right word, much as I like it. Real relationships do this kind of thing all the time. How many people do we all know that exist in abusive situations? And yes I do think Pete is emotionally abusive. He manipulated her feelings in the past and it's entirely possible he could and would do it in the future. He backed off tonight and he got his way. The shippers got the shaft and that's the best way to put it.

I've watched this show from the start, I was not a true shipper until two years ago. I decided I liked what I saw and I wanted to see more. I didn'tneed it front and center but Chimera and now Affinity have slapped relationships on the front burner in no uncertain terms. As a Shipper I've never asked for that, I've only asked for honesty. And now I'm honestly saying this was complete BS and I'm disgusted.

I'll keep watching as I'm a glutton for punishment and an unabashed Richard Dean Anderson fan. But the latter is the only thing keeping me afloat right now.

Treating the fans this way was utter garbage. Gee thanks ever so much.

Comment

Working...
                                X