Page 5 of 14 FirstFirst ... 2345678 ... LastLast

Thread: Icon (805)

Default Re: Icon (805)

Quote Originally Posted by aAnubiSs
    Zat them and remove their weapons afterwards.

It's not like they're gonna be able to fire after being zatted.
    Oh yes. So you're in the middle of a firefight with a lot of people shooting real bullets at you and you manage to zat one of them. What are you going to do, hold up your hand and say "Time out! I just need to run over to your side and grab this guy and take his weapon away before he wakes up!"

It's not that hard. One doesn't place 200 troops on the same spot, so you zat one spot, move forward and remove their weapons. Then move on.

We'll have to agree to disagree, then. It's off topic from the thread and we're both entrenched in our own opinions.

Icon: it could have been a lot better. I suppose the show needs a few "quieter" eps after all the excitement of the past few eps, but I didn't care for it. This one was dull enough to be in S7.

This wasn't a bad episode, but it wasn't a great episode either.

I liked seeing the team's concern for Daniel.

The going back and forth from the present to the past didn't flow as nicely as I would have liked. I think the transitions could have been done a little bit better.

I try to think that all Daniel was trying to do was sympathize with Leda. He's got a big heart and was just trying to comfort her in her time of stress. There was not romantic edge on Daniel's part. I guess my ship denial/refusal does that to me.
    No snurching any Pictures I post!! (without my permission)

Quote Originally Posted by aAnubiSs
    You don't go around and kill people like that =) They aren't Jaffa, they're humans. We don't execute everyone on Earth, we put them in prison.
    I beg to differ. In war, on Earth, you do go around and kill people like that.

Only if you have to.

Quote Originally Posted by DJFavorite
    I try to think that all Daniel was trying to do was sympathize with Leda. He's got a big heart and was just trying to comfort her in her time of stress. There was not romantic edge on Daniel's part. I guess my ship denial/refusal does that to me.
    Regardless of whether or not Daniel had "feelings", he most emphatically should NOT have been reaching out to try and touch her face. Maybe he meant it as a comforting gesture, but he has to think of the context of the situation. Leda has just admitted she cares for him and he's reaching out to stroke her cheek. Way to send the wrong kind of signals, Dannyboy.

I thought this episode was okay. I find myself trying to like to more then it really was. I had high hopes for this ep because I really like eps like this. Where SG1 arriving affect the worlds they go on in a massive scale. But this one fell short. Oh well.

Does anybody else think that if an ep like this were done in lets say, season 5 or 6 it would have probably been done better? I feel that once Daniel got back something really changed in the style of writing and stuff in the SG1 eps. Anyone else agree? It just feels different.
    "...smart, funny, exciting, touching..." - Newsday
    http://www.cathairstudios.com/farsca...banner_one.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by TechnoBoY
    I feel that once Daniel got back something really changed in the style of writing and stuff in the SG1 eps. Anyone else agree? It just feels different.
    It does feel different. It probably should be different, given all that's happened. The question is, is it different in a good way? I'm not convinced that it is...

If the goodness of the first few eps of S8 were just a fluke and it's all downhill from here, I shall be disappointed. Again...

Quote Originally Posted by ShadowMaat
    Regardless of whether or not Daniel had "feelings", he most emphatically should NOT have been reaching out to try and touch her face. Maybe he meant it as a comforting gesture, but he has to think of the context of the situation. Leda has just admitted she cares for him and he's reaching out to stroke her cheek. Way to send the wrong kind of signals, Dannyboy.
    Exactly! The face touching scene was what made me say, "Excuse me, she's married! What are you doing?!"

IMHO, this "feeling" relationship was not needed but used to further the story. Questions I asked myself: Did Daniel use Leda's "feelings" for him to convince her to help him? Was Leda's "feelings" the only reason she talked to her husband about supporting Daniel? Was Jared's love for his wife the only reason he agreed to the revolt?

There was a more touching "goodbye" between Leda and Daniel than Leda and Jared. IMO, Daniel and Leda's relationship was inappropriate for a married woman.

Token ~

It does feel different. It probably should be different, given all that's happened. The question is, is it different in a good way? I'm not convinced that it is...
    If the goodness of the first few eps of S8 were just a fluke and it's all downhill from here, I shall be disappointed. Again...
    Icon wasn't a great episode but I enjoyed it more than several episodes from season 7. It was a standalone episode, not building on any of the established story arcs and sometimes those aren't as compelling unless the story presented is very very good or the original characters and guest actors bring a lot to the table.

The setup in Icon was interesting, loved the team arriving in the middle of the museum exhibit and then everything falling apart on the planet, I just didn't feel a lot of emotional investment in the story. And the problem with Leda developing romantic feelings for Daniel (totally cliched and unnecessary to the story) has already been discussed.

BUT, I still feel like the team interaction is continuing on the same path set out in the first three episodes. It's a much more comfortable dynamic than we were seeing in season 7. As much as I miss Hammond, I think it has been a brilliant move to put Jack in charge of the SGC as RDA's time is being used more intelligently and it's interesting character development to see Jack filling Hammonds' shoes and having to be "the Man". He still gets the best lines:

Crazy fanatic guy: " I see you also revere the great ring"
    General Jack: "Yeah, we love the old gal"

Carter was great in this episode, I loved seeing her lead the team. Daniel was Daniel, but I felt more comfortable watching him *be* Daniel than I did at times in season 7 -- if that makes any sense.

There are always some average episodes in EVERY season. If this is the worst episode of season 8 I'll be a happy camper.
    Last edited by Kes; August 7th, 2004 at 03:09 PM.
    http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y23...d_smallest.jpgLife is hard...and it's harder if you're stupid

OK, don't really understand why so any people are stuck on the Daniel/Leda thing...lets face it that is somethig that is nown to happen in RL. She saw hope in Daniel and his faith that his friends could help them...her husband that been neglicting (sp) her, so hey I'm sorry but that was a natrual progression. But when it came down to it she said she trusted Daniel, not that she "loved" him.

That said, I may be in the minority here but I really like this episode. I liked the dealing with the WWII "timeframe" kind of thing looking at some of the what could have happened aspects of that time in our history.

I had no problems with the flashbacks, they were clearly definded to me. I loved that Daniel never gave up on contacting home and that home didn't give up on Daniel...

But the best part for me was the radio conversation ...."Hello....Guys..." "Daniel" then the insueing converstation with Daniel speaking in code and Jack "he's changed comment"....I loved that ...

Quote Originally Posted by norriski
    OK, don't really understand why so any people are stuck on the Daniel/Leda thing...lets face it that is something that is known to happen in RL.
    For me, it isn't a matter of whether or not it happens in RL, it's the fact that it ALWAYS seems to happen on SG-1. The Girl always seems to fall for The Guy (whether it's Jack, Daniel, Teal'c or Jonas) and her crush is always the primary motivator for her deciding to Do The Right Thing.

And then there's the fact that Leda is married. I'm getting heartily sick of the whole, "I'm married, but my husband just doesn't understand/love me anymore!" business, too. It feels like that's been cropping up on TV in general these days and I don't care if that "really happens" too, I'm sick of seeing it and I most emphatically do NOT want to see it on Stargate. What purpose does it serve? Why can't Leda help Daniel WITHOUT having to have a stupid crush on him?

Some people, like me, uses sarcasm as fuel. All females uses their love for us(the men) as fuel

I am correct right? Or did I miss something in school.

I'm not convinced that it is either. I dont like it as much. I have said this many times before, but I dont really feel for the characters as much anymore.
    "...smart, funny, exciting, touching..." - Newsday
    http://www.cathairstudios.com/farsca...banner_one.jpg

Second Lieutenant Buzz Lightyear's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by morjana
    Which I've always thought was a little odd...Daniel, the supposed pacifist, carrying the 9mm and Sam the zat.

Also odd too, how in this episode, Daniel was the one who suggested a resolution that was an armed conflict instead of his usual "let's talk and play nice" maneuver. Looks like he's been hanging around Jack too much.
    Just because Daniel is not a war-monger doesn't automatically make him a pacifist either, because at no point in the series has it ever been stated that he's a pacifist. Plus, he's already in the middle of a war that has been raging for three months, all the major cities have been leveled by intercontinental ballistic missiles, and the main enemy is a fanatic who immediately executes anyone who doesn't agree with him. When he went back originally, it was with the intent to help those people co-operate but he could see for himself that at least two of the factions were not interested in peace. Remember the time frame - he only suggested the armed resolution AFTER three months there.
    To Infinity And Beyond!

O'Neill: "Do we know this... shrub?"

The Pantsinator
    (Moderator Emeritus)

For me, it isn't a matter of whether or not it happens in RL, it's the fact that it ALWAYS seems to happen on SG-1. The Girl always seems to fall for The Guy (whether it's Jack, Daniel, Teal'c or Jonas) and her crush is always the primary motivator for her deciding to Do The Right Thing.

And then there's the fact that Leda is married. I'm getting heartily sick of the whole, "I'm married, but my husband just doesn't understand/love me anymore!" business, too. It feels like that's been cropping up on TV in general these days and I don't care if that "really happens" too, I'm sick of seeing it and I most emphatically do NOT want to see it on Stargate. What purpose does it serve? Why can't Leda help Daniel WITHOUT having to have a stupid crush on him?
    I think you have touch at the heart of this for me as well. No this moment didn't define the episode and it didn't overshadow the whole episode BUT it sticks out and is being remembered so THAT is what makes it important. It bothered people for their own reasons.

For me it was for these two;
    1) It may very be that a man in recovery will feel something for the woman who took care of him. But it came off as an attraction of a sexual nature IMHO and with her being married I didn't need to see it.

2)it is EVERYWHERE on TV (as Shadow just stated) and I am really tired of seeing it. The ONLY purpose it could have served in my eyes on Star Gate was to show that was the reason the woman did all she did. She may NOT have loved Daniel but she was attracted and Her husband had changed and yadda yadda yadda....it was just more of the same I see on other shows.

The fact that this 30 seconds of TV stands out and bothers me is why it is important IMO. There were many things I enjoyed about the episode and I stated those in another post. And I really have no issue with romance on SG as I am a shipper and I like romance but not in this manner, Daniel doesn't have to be in a love triangle to be compelling in a romantic situation.

I think what bothers me about this as well is that the writers feel compelled to resort to these gimmicks rather than just be straight forward
    Life is short, Forgive quickly, Kiss slowly, Love truly, Laugh uncontrollably, And live out loud with no regrets..

Another thing I wondered... at the end, when the SGC team meets up with Daniel's crew... how come no one brought an extra gun for Daniel? I mean, yes, the shotgun or whatever he was using was very nice, but would he be more familiar with Earth weapons?
    They were Earth weapons, some were very old but they were Earth weapons. M1 Garand, PPSH, PPS, AK-47 were the ones I noticed.

All in all I thought it was alright, it was nice to see a culture that similar to ours. Even if they are to lazy to make their own weapons.
    I didn't really care all that much for the romance though. Daniel dosn't need a woman on every planet.
    Church: Well than just get over there and yell bang bang bang.
    Doc: I don't know even that sounds pretty aggressive...
    Church: Oh come on!
    Doc: ...Besides I'm not supposed to get involved unless someone gets hurt.
    Church: Huh, I see. (Raises pistol and shoots) Well, looks like Caboose has hurt himself. Maybe you should go over and help him Doc.
    Doc: You know you could have just asked nicely.
    -Red vs Blue
    Teal'c: "I have read of a place where humans do battle in a ring of Jello."
    O'Neill: "Napoleonic power monger."

Quote Originally Posted by Yosho
    They were Earth weapons, some were very old but they were Earth weapons. M1 Garand, PPSH, PPS, AK-47 were the ones I noticed.
    I've been following that conversation, but I'm not that anal retentive about it. For the purposes of the story, the shotguns and whatever that the locals were using were intended to be of local origin. Thus, I want to know why Sam or someone didn't give Daniel a modern weapon of Earth origin.

Lieutenant Colonel Major Fischer's Avatar

I've been following that conversation, but I'm not that anal retentive about it. For the purposes of the story, the shotguns and whatever that the locals were using were intended to be of local origin. Thus, I want to know why Sam or someone didn't give Daniel a modern weapon of Earth origin.
    Who do you ask to carry the extra weapon into battle? And the ammunition, for someone you may not run into immediately?

Page 5 of 14 FirstFirst ... 2345678 ... LastLast