This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How To: Get a Good Reputation

Your "Reputation" is a number that reflects a combination of the number of posts you've made, how long you've been a member, and what other forum members think of your posts. It's represented by a sequence of green (positive) or red (negative) blocks on the right side of the headers to all your posts (next to your actual post count). (If you do not want your Reputation displayed, use your control panel to hide it.) You started with 10 Reputation points when you registered, which goes up as you post and as the days go by.

By clicking on the scales icon in the top-right corner of any post, you can add to (or subtract from) that member's Reputation by approving or disapproving of their post. There are safeguards in place to prevent Reputation abuse, however: you may only make so many Reputation votes in the same day, and you must rate posts for other posters before rating the same user again. And the forum won't allow anyone to add to or subtract from your Reputation over and over again.

The higher your Reputation, the more influence your Reputation ratings have on others!
    Last edited by David; 30 April 2004, 06:14 PM.

OK, first off, I keep clicking something that makes the posts I'm trying to write disappear. Very annoying. Hmph.

Second, this Reputation thing has me a little paranoid. As sweet and wonderful as I am, I just know I'll wind up in the red.

Comment

Once again, if you're not fond of having your Reputation level out there on display, there's a control panel option where you can choose to hide it.

Hopefully it'll catch on and be a fun addition, though!
      GateWorld Podcast - Info - iTunes - Google
      The Stargate Omnipedia - www.StargateOmnipedia.com
      Stargate Image Gallery - www.StargateGallery.com

Comment

Yeah, but I would still know I had lotsa little red marks after my name.

Comment

I've done some more reading up on the subject. I couldn't figure out what the gray squares meant. In terms of people giving ME "gray" rep points it means that they don't count towards my level because they're too new themselves. Which is a lucky thing for me since I've already racked up a good half dozen of them.

I've yet to figure out how people who've made 20 or less posts can already have a gray rep level unless it means they've turned the feature off. Haven't read that far.

I'll probably turn the feature off myself, eventually. It's a little disheartening to have visible proof that people don't like what I'm saying.

Comment

You can't opt-out from participation in the Reputation feature altogether, but you can disable the displaying of your Rep.

Members must reach a certain level (length of membership, posts, etc.) before their Rep votes count -- so it's something our forum will grow into. That's why the votes you've gotten so far are neutral. It won't take long before you start seeing green -- we can only hope!

Comment

So what's the colour coding on the reputation thing.

I'm guessing green is good

More green is better

Whats black bad?

Comment

Originally posted by thor39
                Whats black bad?
                I assume that black means that the person has turned off the "show reputation" feature.

In terms of people giving you black boxes (nothing to do with plane crashes), it means that the person who voted for you hasn't been around long enough for his/her vote to count. Unless the person adds a comment, you have to guess about whether or not it was meant as a "green" point (which is good, or a "red" point (which is bad).

Comment

Righto. Red is bad. Like the stop lights when you're late for work.

Comment

where do we go to see what our reputation is?

Comment

Originally posted by spg_1983
                      where do we go to see what our reputation is?
                      It's under "My Controls". Which of course would be YOUR controls, not MINE. Y'know?

Comment

gotcha..... nobody as given me any good or bad. does that mean people dont care what i say or they all just agree with me??

Comment

Originally posted by spg_1983
                          gotcha..... nobody as given me any good or bad. does that mean people dont care what i say or they all just agree with me??
                          It means they don't care.

I got a couple of "pity points" from a certain part-time spyboy, but the others have all been black squares. Judging from which posts garnered me the squares, I think that maybe a few of them were meant to be positive, but most were definitely negative. *shrug* I'm an outspoken girl. I say exactly what I think without wasting time sugar-coating it. I'm not gonna change that just to make people like me because then it wouldn't really be ME, would it?

At the same time, I kinda wish I didn't have to look at all those little black squares. It won't be long before they start turning colors and like I said, having visual proof that people hate a majority of what I post is a little depressing. Turning off the "Show Reputation" thing doesn't make it go away.

Ah well. I'll live.

Comment

Originally posted by ShadowMaat
                            It won't be long before they start turning colors and like I said, having visual proof that people hate a majority of what I post is a little depressing. Turning off the "Show Reputation" thing doesn't make it go away.

Ah well. I'll live.
                            see you should take pride in the fact that people don't like what you have to say. it shows that you are an individual and dont follow the crowd

Comment

My post numbers are not showing up. I've been at zero or one since the beginning and I've even started a thread. Help! What am I doing or not doing?
                              "You cannot reason with your own heart;
                              it has it's own laws and beats about things
                              which the intellect scorns."
                              - Mark Twain -

Comment

Working...
                              X