This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Temporal Shockwave Weapon

In the Atlantis Episode, we saw that passing through a time dilation filed causes a temporal "tidal force" unless you are passing through some sort of buffer. What if Carter was able to copy the Asgard time dilation device, steepent the time gradient and limit the field expansion? It could be loaded onto a torpedo that would activate it near an enemy ship. The temporal "wavefront" layer would rip the ship apart, shields or no shields, as it expands out.

The effect of the device would have to be fairly short range and burn out or self destruct quickly, but it could be used as a very effective weapon.

I had actually thought of a similar weapon to use in my story, though it operated on a different temporal principal (age things really fast).

Back to the shockwave weapon I think that it would be a good idea against the Ori... That is if they could actually make such a weapon (which I seriously doubt).
    sigpic
    In the infinite expanse that we occupy, whose to say that something's impossible?

Comment

it would also make a good shield, because it be just as strong, no matter how much something shot at it.

Comment

Originally posted by rob1990
        it would also make a good shield, because it be just as strong, no matter how much something shot at it.
        The only problem with that is anything within the shield would either be going slower or faster in time than everything outside.
        sigpic
        In the infinite expanse that we occupy, whose to say that something's impossible?

Comment

Actually, to use as a shield, you run two two time dilation devices in opposition to each other with slightly off-set expansions That woudl create a thin region of space between the two devices that would be affected by both the temporal tidal forces and the whatever temporal effect the largest field created (slow-time would probably be best)

Comment

isnt the shield stregnth proportional to how much time is going faster? if so the time dialation device would require a very powerful powersource, because if you speed up time the time dialation device would drain nergy alot faster.

and you probably wont be able to fire out.
            Their white flags are no match to our guns!!

Comment

Originally posted by Merlin's_Legacy
              Actually, to use as a shield, you run two two time dilation devices in opposition to each other with slightly off-set expansions That woudl create a thin region of space between the two devices that would be affected by both the temporal tidal forces and the whatever temporal effect the largest field created (slow-time would probably be best)

by doing this you create a subspace parodox.... you would create a rip in space time. ...

for example, ever try to fast fwd and rewind a tape at the same time. if its possible you would rip the tape
              Homer: WHEN PIGS FLY!...
              (a pig was in a cannon, and got shot accross the town, right were homer can see)

Homer: Doh!

Comment

Originally posted by Taonas
                The only problem with that is anything within the shield would either be going slower or faster in time than everything outside.
                that's not a problem, having your time go faster would give you a big advantage

Comment

Originally posted by ancientaction
                  by doing this you create a subspace parodox.... you would create a rip in space time. ...

for example, ever try to fast fwd and rewind a tape at the same time. if its possible you would rip the tape

In Ripple Effect SG-1 used the time dilation device to off-set the time dilation of the black hole (which I guess would technically make it a time contraction device instead of time dilation) The point is that black hole was already distorting space time and slowing time down and we countered it and sped it up, so we have the same basic scenario I was discussing. While prometheus was inside the distortion field of the black hole with the time contractor running the black hole's dilaton filed would act as a shield between prometheus and normal space. A weapon fired through the "shield" would be slowed down to the point that it would be easy for Prometheus to move out of the way. Add the turbulence effect from the machine in Epiphany and you've got a shield that destroys whatever was fired into it.

Comment

Originally posted by Taonas
                    They could make it just barely faster, so that aging wouldn't be a problem, and that could give an adavantage by being able to react faster.

Comment

Originally posted by Merlin's_Legacy
                      In the Atlantis Episode, we saw that passing through a time dilation filed causes a temporal "tidal force" unless you are passing through some sort of buffer. What if Carter was able to copy the Asgard time dilation device, steepent the time gradient and limit the field expansion? It could be loaded onto a torpedo that would activate it near an enemy ship. The temporal "wavefront" layer would rip the ship apart, shields or no shields, as it expands out.

The effect of the device would have to be fairly short range and burn out or self destruct quickly, but it could be used as a very effective weapon.
                      It would be very effective but it would cost a ton of $$$$$$$$$$$.

I don't think the Asgard will just give use a couple hundred time dilation divices...
                      I'm from Iowa, United States

Comment

Originally posted by SG-1ssm
                        It would be very effective but it would cost a ton of $$$$$$$$$$$.

I don't think the Asgard will just give use a couple hundred time dilation divices...
                        I think the Ori wiping out everyone on Earth is worth more than a ton of $$$$$$$$$$.

http://www.savestargatesg-1.com
                        Originally posted by Unnamed due to Risk of Offending person
                        the processor of the gate thats what it is in plainsmen therm
                        Strangest thing Iv read on the forum so far!

And those who are prideful and refuse to bow down, shall be laid low and made unto dust.

Proud member of the C.O.T.W.O.S.F.
                        The Coalition Of Those Who Oppose Sci Fi (channel)

Comment

I don't think or would build a time dilation device, because it seems a bit too advanced for where we are right now.
                          Fear is the path to the dark side. Fear leads to anger. Anger leads to hate. Hate leads to suffering-Yoda
                          The more bizzare a thing, the less mysterious it proves to be-Sherlock Holmes
                          I reject your reality and substitute my own-Adam Savage
                          A person is smart. People are stupid, panicky, dangerous animals and you know it-Agent Kay
                          That is the exploration that awaits you�not mapping stars and studying nebulae, but charting the unknown possibilities of existence-Q
                          Church: I learned a very valuable lesson in my travels, Tucker. No matter how bad things might seem...
                          Caboose: They could be worse?
                          Church: Nope, no matter how bad they seem, they can't be any better, and they can't be any worse, because that's the way things f***ing are, and you better get used to it Nancy. Quit-yer-b****ing.

If you smoke, you choke. If you choke, you're dead. 'Nuff said.

Comment

Originally posted by Exiled Master
                            I don't think or would build a time dilation device, because it seems a bit too advanced for where we are right now.
                            ya think!!!???

Comment

Working...
                            X