Will Star Trek Return?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Will Star Trek Return?

First off, sorry if this thread has been done before. I searched the forum and couldn't fine one.

I just became a fan of the show, cause I was sick a lot right before school let out, and the only thing to watch during the day was TNG and DS9 on Spike. At first I thought it was dumb, but it really grow on me, and I saw some episodes I liked.

I've been a big stargate fan the last two or three years, but (no offence to stargate fans) I'm getting sick of it, because I think it is declining in quality and I don't like the way the show is going.

So I started watch Star Trek and I've been wondering, will it continue? I've heard rumors that Star Trek XI might come out in 2007 and would probably have TNG cast. It this ture?

Do you guys think there will be another show anytime soon, or will we have to wait another 30 years for Star Trek: The Next Next Generation? (the title was a joke).
    Last edited by SG-1ssm; 18 June 2006, 08:11 AM.
    I'm from Iowa, United States

Yep. JJ Abrams is making an 11th Star Trek movie.

Comment

The new Trek movie is coming in 2008- helmed by J.J. Abrams and set in the Kirk era, and likely to be about young Kirk and Spock (but that's not carved in stone). Pretty much everything else is just rumour and should be taken with a grain of salt.

As for whether Trek will be back, of course it will. It makes too much money to go away. For a series, who knows when, but it won't wait thirty years, the older generation of Trek viewers (I said older, not old) will be even older in thirty years time, and it seems that my generation doesn't care much for Star Trek (it's real hard to find anyone who does, at least that's my experience). They'll want to put out a series while the TOS and TNG era viewers are still interested, so they won't take too long. At least that's my opinion.....
      As for what it will be.....who knows.

Comment

I would take the new film being about "Kirk and Spock: The Early Years" with a pinch of salt as well. It would break canon anyway, as their first mission was in the second pilot episode, and I'm fairly certain it was the first time they met. I would prefer the film to be set a few years in the future (or right after Nemesis), but if it was a prequel, the Romulan/Earth war would be a good story.

As TrekGirl said, there aren't many people of the 1990 - 2000s generation into Trek (there are a few who post in this forum however), I'm from the TOS movies/TNG and beyond generation. I hope we don't have to wait another 30 years, I'll be in my 60s by then.

Who knows, if JJ Abrams can perform a miracle and make the new film a success, then just maybe, we'll all be enjoying a brand new Trek series.
        "Captain, you almost make me believe in luck."

Comment

I think the key to reviving Trek is to go small. In each of the Trek series, the captain is placed in the middle of some broad, universe changing event or change. The drama is too much in the grand scope of it all.

Look at Firefly and how well received it has become over time. Just some people depending on each other with a lot of conflicts and mysteries to unravel.

If it's well written and you cast really strong actors, you could do MANY Trek series.....

Comment

It's not the Academy/Early Years thing, at least according to one of the movie's executive producers:

http://trekweb.com/stories.php?aid=4...&topBrowse=all

Comment

Originally posted by Missster.Freeman
              As TrekGirl said, there aren't many people of the 1990 - 2000s generation into Trek (there are a few who post in this forum however), I'm from the TOS movies/TNG and beyond generation. I hope we don't have to wait another 30 years, I'll be in my 60s by then.
              I'm from the later years of Voyager/Enterprise generation and nobody cares about Trek. Which is very sad. I could count on one hand then number of people my age who I've met who like Trek, or have watched it a few times.

Who knows, if JJ Abrams can perform a miracle and make the new film a success, then just maybe, we'll all be enjoying a brand new Trek series.
              Sure hope so, I've never seen any of his stuff, but I do like the sound of this. (and know of enough people whose tastes I respect who do like his shows)

Comment

Star Trek ought not look to the past. It has always been about looking to the future, and while the 22nd-century may well be be the future for us, it isn't the future for Trek. I'd like to see one of two things happen in a new series

Future - Something returning to the vein of TOS and TNG. This would be set a century or two after the events of Deep Space Nine and Voyager. The major powers of the Alpha Quadrant are at peace, and Starfleet's emphasis has returned to exploration. This series would be quite literally about "seeking out new life and new civilizations" again.

Aftermath - Set in the period immediately following the war with the Dominion. Would focus on the ruin and devastation brought by the war, as society attempted to recover from the most devastating war in Federation history. Maybe it could be set aboard a ship making supply or medical runs, or else transporting refugees to and from their homes.

Personally, I'm partial to the second. There's a lot of opportunity to explore the human condition and tackle difficult issues when faced with extreme adversity.
                "A society grows great when old men plant trees, the shade of which they know they will never sit in. Good people do things for other people. That's it, the end." -- Penelope Wilton in Ricky Gervais's After Life

Comment

Originally posted by DigiFluid
                  Aftermath - Set in the period immediately following the war with the Dominion. Would focus on the ruin and devastation brought by the war, as society attempted to recover from the most devastating war in Federation history. Maybe it could be set aboard a ship making supply or medical runs, or else transporting refugees to and from their homes.

Personally, I'm partial to the second. There's a lot of opportunity to explore the human condition and tackle difficult issues when faced with extreme adversity.

thing with that is, and il admit myself included in this. after seeing some of the DS9 eps and voyager, people want too see the federation at war. am i the only one that cant get enough of the CGI computer generated starship battles? Big ass fleets firing phasers here there and everywhere. i cant get enough lol!

"But the core of science fiction, is essance has become crucial to our salvation, if we are to be saved at all..."

Dont let our show die.

Comment

I think that a 2 or 3 part mini-series would be one of the best ways to maybe start a new Trek show.
                    A mini series would let them see how many viewers they might get. It would cost less than a complete season and I am certain the DVD sales would be very good.
                    Plus it would avoid a lot of the problems of a tv show. Anyone could (in theory at least) die. It could more or less go in whatever direction it wanted too.
                    Then if they based a show off of it (like BSG) we viewers would have a good starting point to know what is going on but the writers would still have an oppurtunity to add new characters and storylines.

Comment

Originally posted by Dahak
                      I think that a 2 or 3 part mini-series would be one of the best ways to maybe start a new Trek show.
                      A mini series would let them see how many viewers they might get. It would cost less than a complete season and I am certain the DVD sales would be very good.
                      Plus it would avoid a lot of the problems of a tv show. Anyone could (in theory at least) die. It could more or less go in whatever direction it wanted too.
                      Then if they based a show off of it (like BSG) we viewers would have a good starting point to know what is going on but the writers would still have an oppurtunity to add new characters and storylines.
                      Yeah that would be good
                      sigpic
                      Many thanks to geekywraith for the wonderful sig

Comment

Originally posted by Dahak
                        That would be great- that's one of the things I loved about BSG, they introduced everyone in the miniseries, we got the inciting incidents, and the "missions statement" of the show, so when it came to the series they could jump right in and get to telling the stories and continue developing the characters- and start off with a bang (literally). I think from that standpoint, having that mini to build from did a world of good for the writers and producers, they would have been able to take stock of where they were, what they liked, and didn't like, and work from there. It would be a great strategy for Trek.

Comment

Originally posted by Trek_Girl42
                          That would be great- that's one of the things I loved about BSG, they introduced everyone in the miniseries, we got the inciting incidents, and the "missions statement" of the show, so when it came to the series they could jump right in and get to telling the stories and continue developing the characters- and start off with a bang (literally). I think from that standpoint, having that mini to build from did a world of good for the writers and producers, they would have been able to take stock of where they were, what they liked, and didn't like, and work from there. It would be a great strategy for Trek.
                          I couldn't agree more. Star Trek has been very important to me over the years, and I'd love to see it's triumphant return to tv. But, they should definitely take their time developing it, and make it one of the best to date.
                          sigpic
                          MS - "Boy, wow that's a great question!"
                          "...phu...ah..."
                          "Anyone know what SENTIENT means???"
                          Sunday is my favorite day for two reasons - Football and The Walking Dead

Comment

Originally posted by RobJones
                            thing with that is, and il admit myself included in this. after seeing some of the DS9 eps and voyager, people want too see the federation at war. am i the only one that cant get enough of the CGI computer generated starship battles? Big ass fleets firing phasers here there and everywhere. i cant get enough lol!
                            Well that's okay too. Those refugees that the ship picks up every so often, they could vividly recall the fall of their planet to the Dominion or some such.

Imagination people! This is why Star Trek has died for the moment, a lack of imagination!
                            "A society grows great when old men plant trees, the shade of which they know they will never sit in. Good people do things for other people. That's it, the end." -- Penelope Wilton in Ricky Gervais's After Life

Comment

It might be cool to see a show where a starship crash lands on a planet in along way from Earth. The ship will never fly again and the crew has to survive with just the stuff they have.

It might be a little too much like Voyager though.
                              I'm from Iowa, United States

Comment

Working...
                              X