Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

To watch or not to watch? (Seasons 9/10 of SG1)

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

To watch or not to watch? (Seasons 9/10 of SG1)

My bud in the UK has only seen up to Season 8 of SG1 and has heard a few ugly rumors (ok, some of them from me!) that things are just not the same in S9 and 10. He has loved the show so far and is wondering if he should call it a day at Moebius. I've told him to keep going because it's not all bad . He'd like a second opinion though, so that's where you lot come in.

Do you agree with me? Would you recommend him to watch S9/10 or not, when they start where he is? Spoilers are ok as far as I'm concerned, because he's promised not to look at this thread (wonder how long that'll last?) but please hide any major spoilery stuff because there are others out there who might want to stay spoiler-free.

Thanks guys
    sigpic
    "Ce qui ressemble a l'amour est toujours de l'amour." - Tristan Bernard

IMO, keep watching, my friend. Personally, I loved Season 9 for various reasons. It had a darker tone to it, a great new enemy, and wonderful character interactions. The new additions to the show, IMO, did a great job at filling some mighty big shoes this past season.

Yeah, some things are different, but change on a long running show like this is inevitable. Myself, I can't freaking wait to see what Season 10 has in store for us.
    sigpic
    MS - "Boy, wow that's a great question!"
    "...phu...ah..."
    "Anyone know what SENTIENT means???"
    Sunday is my favorite day for two reasons - Football and The Walking Dead

Comment

I hate Season Nine, but your friend may find that he likes it so he might as well check it out.

Sig courtesy of RepliCartertje

Comment

If season 9 will have a re-run on TV I will not watch it again. There was almost nothing that "hit" me.
        sigpic

Comment

I haven't seen season 9 also but there is no way that I would miss it. I have heard the rumours and the grumleings about season 9 but I need to see it for myself before I pass judgement on it - that's what I think everyone should do. I'm kinda looking forward to seeing it actually - to see the newbies. Of course I miss Jack and General Hammond but it will be interesting to see the new team and the new enemy! Tell your friend to watch - a true fan of the show would watch it....even if at the end of the season he says it's crap, at least he gave it a fair go!!
          "Live Peace - Speak Kindness - Dwell in Possibility"
          Hug Your Loved Ones!!
          ~Amanda Tapping

Comment

Come on.....it's Stargate!!! I don't care if season 9 is crap or not, it's still my favourite show!
            "Yo, you wanna join SG-1?"

sigpic

Comment

I agree... It's STARGATE. What else would you watch, a reality-TV show?
              http://www.myspace.com/peoples_general
              http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/ga...PeoplesGeneral

Comment

Oh, he should at least give it a try before deciding it's too horrible to mention
                Pinky, are you thinking what I'm thinking?
                Yes, I am!
                sigpic
                Improved and unfuzzy banner being the result of more of Caldwell's 2IC sick, yet genuis, mind.
                Help Pitry win a competition! Listen to Kula Shaker's new single
                Peter Pan R.I.P

Comment

From what I've seen and heard, both here and in real life, more people liked season 9 than disliked it, it's only the ones who disliked it are far more vocal about it, while the ones who do like it don't care because it's another great season of a show they like.

So your friend should give it a chance.

Comment

I agree get him to watch it. If he doesn't likes it, well it tried it.

I'm going to give S9 a go myself.

Comment

Call it a day and don’t watch.

S9 has ruined the show for some people, including previous seasons. For me I can separate out the previous seasons and just ignore the stupidity that is S9 and still love the show S1-S8, but it is hard and others can't or don’t want to put the effort into doing it so they end up quitting the show all together. It’s a sad sad thing to watch something so mighty and great fall to such pathetic ruin.
                      Joseph Mallozzi -"In the meantime, I'm into season 5 of OZ (where the show takes an unfortunate hairpin turn into "the not so wonderful world of fantasy")"

^^^ Kinda sounds like seasons 9 and 10 of SG-1 to me. Thor, ya got Aspirin?

AGateFan has officially Gone Fishin (with Jack, Sam, Daniel, Teal'c) and is hoping Atlantis does not take that same hairpin turn.

Comment

It depends. Can he accept that the show has changed a little, and is heading in a new direction, or does he prefer to dwell in the past stories/characters (nothing wrong with that )

Personally id say watch it, simply for the reason that it is good Sci-Fi, and still is very much a similar Stargate to previous years.
                        Science Fiction is an existential metaphor; it allows us to tell stories about the human condition.

Isaac Asimov once said individual science fiction stories may seem as trivial as ever to the blinder critics and philosophers of today, but the core of science fiction, its essence has become crucial to our salvation if we are to be saved at all.

[/QUOTE]

SENFORUMS.com

Comment

It depends. Can he accept that the show has changed a lot, and is heading in a new direction - dumbed down and sexed up.

Personally I say watch it, each person really needs to make their own decisions on what is watchable / enjoyable. My view of S9 is extremely disappointed, but I'm still going to check out S10 to see if there is a remote possibility of it delivering the same level of quality of yesteryear.

In my experience outside of online fandom for every one person that loved S9 another one hated it and two more were disappointed to varying degrees. So basically tell your friend to watch it with an open mind and make his own decision.
                          -

Comment

Season 9 wasen' all it was cracked up to be IMO, it has good episodes my personal faves are "beachhead" Camelot" but all in all it's a little of an anticlimax to what could have been, we have a new enemy that yes is dark but there is just something that I don't like deep down, I will watch some episodes again and season 10 with hopeful eyes, I'm pretty sure that i need to get used to it and the show needs to settle into something that i'm sure it will

I'd watch it and see if he likes it, nothing ventured-nothing gained, get it
                            For all the pollution woes on Earth, will the Human race end up taking those problems into space in the future?

We can all call our ships Sports Utility Ships to curtail the carbon emissions and hypersleep at night

Comment

I liked it alot i thought a change is nice even though Oniell isn't in it as much anymore Mitchell, Vala, Daniel pick up the humor in the show and run with it i think season 9 was as funny as ever i would reccomend Season 9 to everyone i loved it watched it 4 times since it first aired.
                              Scifi Channel President Should Jump off a cliff

Comment

Working...
                              X