This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ronon and Teyla in Shep's team

During one of the discussion here on Gateworld a topic of Ronon and Tayla as a part of Shep's team came up. Defying the motto that
    Quoting yourself is lame - Me
    I'll quote here a part of my post:

[...]Both Tayla and Ronon are very valuable, even more than any scientest would ever be (except McKay) because they know the Pegasus Galaxy far better than anyone from the expedition. Teyla actually resembles Daniel. She knows the dos and no nos of the peoples they encounter, she also knows soem of the languages they speak. Plus she is a link connecting Atlantis with the Wraith which proves handy.
    Now I think that Tayla and Ronon are an asset to the whole Atlantis expedition, what's your opinion?

Last edited by -|||-; 13 June 2006, 01:08 PM.

All right ... I confess I haven't cut your hair ... I hate cutting hair. I have this terrible un-un-uncontrollable fear whenever I see hair. When I was a kid I used to hate the sight of hair being cut. My mother said I was a fool. She said the only way to cure it was to become a barber. So I spent five ghastly years at the Hairdressers' Training Centre at Totnes. Can you imagine what it's like cutting the same head for five years? I didn't want to be a barber anyway. I wanted to be a lumberjack. Leaping from tree to tree as they float down the mighty rivers of British Columbia . . .
    The giant redwood, the larch, the fir, the mighty scots pine. The smell of fresh-cut timber! The crash of mighty trees! With my best girlie by my side ... We'd sing ... sing ... sing.

Monty Python's Flying Circus

Originally posted by -|||-
    The Atlantis expedition was to find the City of the Ancients. It could not be military because it involves other nations, therefore if it was miltary the USAF would have to share some of it's secrets. It's a civilian expediton whose sole purpose is to explore.
    Ah, thanks for the explanation.

As for Shep's team. Both Tayla and Ronon are very valuable, even more than any scientest would ever be (except McKay) because they know the Pegasus Galaxy far better than anyone from the expedition. Teyla actually resembles Daniel. She knows the dos and no nos of the peoples they encounter, she also knows soem of the languages they speak. Plus she is a link connecting Atlantis with the Wraith which proves handy.
    Excellent point, especially about Teyla's role being a lot like Daniel's. She's definitely a very useful team member. Now, if she'd just learn to read Ancient so the team could have a reliable translater with them at all times, that would be very cool.

Comment

Teyla is the token female. Ronan is the token hard nut.

Comment

Originally posted by somme
        Teyla is the token female. Ronan is the token hard nut.
        No way is Tayla token. This is one show that actually values intelligence, and Tayla is intelligent as well as capable physically. So is Weir, although what she can't handle physically she can command others to do ie:Lorne and Shep. Both Tayla and Weir are solid, three dimensional characters who have a purpose in the show- they are not token females. Token females are generally more superflous than these two.

Also, there are plenty of females in the background and secondary characters, like Miko, Simpson and Biro, amoungst others. There are enough females on the Atlantis mission that having a 'token' female is unnecessary.
        sigpic
        My LJ & Fics * Proud Member of W.A.S.P. * Pay It Forward

Comment

I think most shows are going to be somewhat formulaic in their character makeup. In the case of a Stargate team we have Leader Guy, Hard Science Guy, Social Science Guy, and Big Tough Guy Who Knows The Enemy Well. Instead of + The Token Female, it's more a case of replace "Gal" for "Guy" in one of the above. Teyla has more purpose than to just walk around with two X chromosomes; she's fulfilling one of the above roles.

I guess it all comes down to how well the characters fill the roles they've been assigned, whether it be Teyla, or Mr. Fixit himself. I'm kinda liking them, but that's just me.

Comment

Originally posted by OutThere
            I think most shows are going to be somewhat formulaic in their character makeup. In the case of a Stargate team we have Leader Guy, Hard Science Guy, Social Science Guy, and Big Tough Guy Who Knows The Enemy Well. Instead of + The Token Female, it's more a case of replace "Gal" for "Guy" in one of the above. Teyla has more purpose than to just walk around with two X chromosomes; she's fulfilling one of the above roles.

I guess it all comes down to how well the characters fill the roles they've been assigned, whether it be Teyla, or Mr. Fixit himself. I'm kinda liking them, but that's just me.
            Yep, they play their charcters superbly

We have a little offtop here, but it seems valuable. And I haven't stumbled ona topic concerning this issue yet. I think I'll ask the Mods to make a new topic outta this.

All right ... I confess I haven't cut your hair ... I hate cutting hair. I have this terrible un-un-uncontrollable fear whenever I see hair. When I was a kid I used to hate the sight of hair being cut. My mother said I was a fool. She said the only way to cure it was to become a barber. So I spent five ghastly years at the Hairdressers' Training Centre at Totnes. Can you imagine what it's like cutting the same head for five years? I didn't want to be a barber anyway. I wanted to be a lumberjack. Leaping from tree to tree as they float down the mighty rivers of British Columbia . . .
            The giant redwood, the larch, the fir, the mighty scots pine. The smell of fresh-cut timber! The crash of mighty trees! With my best girlie by my side ... We'd sing ... sing ... sing.

Comment

During one of the discussion here on Gateworld a topic of Ronon and Tayla as a part of Shep's team came up. Defing the motto that I'll quote here a part of my post:

Now I think that Tayla and Rono are an asset to the whole Atlantis expedition, what's your opinion?

For sure..these two are indespensible. Hence the reason I liked Ronon so much. He and Teyla bring a lot to the team. Especially since he can't be killed by the wraith---which reminds me of the chromosome thing in Poisoning the Well...that's gonna come to prove crazy needed in the future.

Then remember back to The Siege 3, if Teyla wasn't there Atlantis would be in the sea. If she didn't relay that information there was no way Atlatnis would be around. She can walk into the Wraith mind...and so far can feel other entities like people like Ellia and the difference and of course we have Epiphany that being.

She as you said can speak other languages. Further more, she's a negotiator and diplomat we saw that in Trinity and of course in The Siege 3 again...since she's the one who calmed down 'Ford on Crack'.
              Spoiler:
              Teyla will be able to possibly fly hive, so that's gonna be great to have on our side.

I want more on Ronon personally so I'm really excited about Sateda, because I think that will bring a lot more to the table. But right now....he's an asset. I think the team at the moment is great. I would love to see more Doctors besides ONLY Beckett...I think Beckett needs a sidekick to add something.

Well again TEyla has proven herself as more than an asset and invaluable to the team...and I think Ronon is on his way to being the exact same.

VB
              Click statement above to read article.

Comment

Yep, couldn't agree more . I've got this vague feeling that Shep's team (btw does it gat a name, sth like SG-1?) is a bit better than SG-1 in the terms of communication with other peoples. SG-1 was always on lower ground when it came to negotiating, despite Daniel's skill in diplomacy. Ronon and Teyla are more likely to know the cultures and societies of the people thet come across.

Comment

Originally posted by vaberella
                  For sure..these two are indespensible. Hence the reason I liked Ronon so much. He and Teyla bring a lot to the team. Especially since he can't be killed by the wraith---which reminds me of the chromosome thing in Poisoning the Well...that's gonna come to prove crazy needed in the future.
                  Ronon can't be killed by the Wraith? He's untasty? I didn't know that (missed a few episodes).

Teyla was a trader, was she not? I gather she spent a lot of time negotiating trades for her people with other planets long before the Atlantis team showed up, and that's where her extensive knowledge of the Pegasis Galaxy peoples comes from.

Comment

Originally posted by OutThere
                    Ronon can't be killed by the Wraith? He's untasty? I didn't know that (missed a few episodes).

Teyla was a trader, was she not? I gather she spent a lot of time negotiating trades for her people with other planets long before the Atlantis team showed up, and that's where her extensive knowledge of the Pegasis Galaxy peoples comes from.
                    For sure....You have to rewatch Runner, the whole story is there. He can't be fed on by the wraith..they turned him into a runner.

For sure, she's a natural born leader, negotiator and diplomat it seems. She leads teams and her own athosian military of sorts. She negotiates and has been long long long long before the Atlantis team showed up and as for diplomat, that's her role when she visits other countries and reports back to possible elders and what not. Further more she's diplomat now of for the Atlantis team of the PG.

VB

Comment

Originally posted by vaberella
                      For sure..these two are indespensible. Hence the reason I liked Ronon so much. He and Teyla bring a lot to the team. Especially since he can't be killed by the wraith--
                      VB
                      Do we know that the Wraith can't feed on him? I thought they simply thought it would be more fun to play with him first (cat and mouse style).

Spoiler:
                      As we know from Sumner they learn about you as they feed, and in Runner the Wraith appeared to begin to feed on Ronan, but then stopped. I hadn't been able to figure out whether there was a physical reason he couldn't feed or if he realised what a formidable warrior Ronan was and thought it would be a challenge.

Did I miss something?
                      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Lauriel
                        Do we know that the Wraith can't feed on him? I thought they simply thought it would be more fun to play with him first (cat and mouse style).

Spoiler:
                        As we know from Sumner they learn about you as they feed, and in Runner the Wraith appeared to begin to feed on Ronan, but then stopped. I hadn't been able to figure out whether there was a physical reason he couldn't feed or if he realised what a formidable warrior Ronan was and thought it would be a challenge.

Did I miss something?

The Wraith Queen did not lear anything by sucking life from Sumner. Before she started the consumption she interogated him first, and she used telepathy to rip the knowlegde he would not willingly reveal Other Hive Queen used the same thing on Sheppard in Hive part 2.

Ronon, on the other hand, is impossible to feed on, because the Wraith cannot "digest" him, for lack of a better word. The Wraith use such people as target practice to train their fighting skills. The Wraith are everything but uneconomical

Comment

Ah- I did miss something. I'll have to watch Rising again. Like that's a difficult task!! Thanks for clearing that up. I don't like being confused.
                          sigpic

Comment

Ah- I did miss something. I'll have to watch Rising again. Like that's a difficult task!! Thanks for clearing that up. I don't like being confused.
                            No problem, always happy to give someone a reason to watch any of the episodes of SGA again

Comment

Spoiler:

Did I miss something?
                              First off, my statement was speculation based on what the episode gave me. Well I took it as more of a can't feed because of the look on the Wraith's face. How many formidable warriors had they had? Ford being one of them, and they were planning on munching him just fine...even John. I put it down to him having the chromosome since IT can go either way. Anyway how cool is it if it's true he has the extra thing...I would have to say that it would be interesting. Further more they would be cool to use those men and/or women as runners...they'd be for sport.

Comment

Working...
                              X