Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Staff Sergeant

Default Why no MP5s in Atlantis?

Why do they noit use the MP5 in Atlantis? After seeing that they need to put an entire magazine of those little 5.56 mm rounds in a wraith to kill him. The 92 FS Beretta with its 9 mm rounds seems to stop a wraith fairly quickly (See episodes Aurora and the Siege Part I.) The MP5 and the UMP and other SMGs that fire the larger rounds are absent form Atlantis, but are still in use on Earth's SG teams occasionally.

Why don't they use anything bigger than a tiny 5.56 mm P90?

Default Re: Why no MP5s in Atlantis?

Oh I don't know... maybe because p90's are standard personal defense weapons that NATO uses? We've seen SG-1 start using G36's and MP7's in a few short episodes.

And it doesn't take an entire clip. It takes a burst or two. SG teams tend to hold it down a bit more probably out of panic.

Captain

MP5's FIRE a 9MM round, which makes them weaker.
    Anyway, the pistol thing sounds pretty inconsistent, but its probably because pistol rounds are designed to enter the body and then "explode" sending little bits of metal everywhere to injure the enemy, where rifle rounds are designed to pass directly through things. Hollowpoints and Soft tips.

I think the Nato thing is an interesting issue, do you think that the AE was commissioned or authorised by NATO??

You are the fifth race, your role is clear, if there is any hope in preserving the future it lies with you and your people ~ 8years for those words
    Stargate : Genesis |
    Original Starship DesignThread
    Sanctuary for all | http://virtualfleet.vze.com/
    11000! green me

Chief Master Sergeant

Quote Originally Posted by immhotep
    I think the Nato thing is an interesting issue, do you think that the AE was commissioned or authorised by NATO??
    No there to many members.

theres also the whole point that if the wraith hasnt feed for a while, hes alot weeker.

Theres no MP5's because they are pathetic girly weapons, they suck...period. P90 vs MP5...lol NO competition.
    Last edited by Harekin; June 5th, 2006 at 04:58 PM.
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v2...u/savesg11.jpg
    http://www.savestargatesg-1.com
    Quote Originally Posted by Unnamed due to Risk of Offending person
    the processor of the gate thats what it is in plainsmen therm
    Strangest thing Iv read on the forum so far!

And those who are prideful and refuse to bow down, shall be laid low and made unto dust.

Proud member of the C.O.T.W.O.S.F.
    The Coalition Of Those Who Oppose Sci Fi (channel)

Quote Originally Posted by Harekin
    Theres no MP5's because they are pathetic girly weapons, they suck...period. P90 vs MP5...lol NO competition.
    Now tells us, how you feel mate and dont be shy to share your feelings on the topic
    Check out My directorial work (please leave comment. if possible).

http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=coreyeasy

Or,

Leave comment on the off topic board.

http://forum.gateworld.net/showthread.php?t=29121

Earth Symbol Re: Why no MP5s in Atlantis?

Be careful with your adjectives, please.

I like the MP-5, but I like the P90 better. My question is, why do SG and ATL teams carry Berettas rather than the FN 5-7 pistol? The 5-7 takes the same ammo as the P90, so it would make sense to carry it. Remember in "The Defiant One" where Sheppard's P90 was damaged and he ran out of 9mm rounds? If his sidearm was a 5-7 he could have used the bullets from his P90 and any other magazines he had yet to use.

Makes sense to me...
    Quote Originally Posted by immhotep
    If you ask me, I think the Stargate Program should be under NATO auspices. It's the most successful and longest-lasting military alliance in history, and the Americans have a great deal of influence so I doubt they'd feel too threatened by it.

I changed my adjectives.
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v2...u/savesg11.jpg
    http://www.savestargatesg-1.com
    Quote Originally Posted by Unnamed due to Risk of Offending person
    the processor of the gate thats what it is in plainsmen therm
    Strangest thing Iv read on the forum so far!

And those who are prideful and refuse to bow down, shall be laid low and made unto dust.

Proud member of the C.O.T.W.O.S.F.
    The Coalition Of Those Who Oppose Sci Fi (channel)

Quote Originally Posted by Major Tyler
    Makes sense to me...If you ask me, I think the Stargate Program should be under NATO auspices. It's the most successful and longest-lasting military alliance in history, and the Americans have a great deal of influence so I doubt they'd feel too threatened by it.
    I think the Pegasus Galaxy is a little to far away to fall under the auspices of the North Atlantis Treaty Organization, but there certainly could be a new, US-led military alliance created for the Stargate program. You know, when the US military finally feels it needs outside help for the tasks that need performed. Thus far, it's not exactly that huge an operation yet. But, that's off topic for this thread.

Quote Originally Posted by startrekker
    Why do they noit use the MP5 in Atlantis? After seeing that they need to put an entire magazine of those little 5.56 mm rounds in a wraith to kill him. The 92 FS Beretta with its 9 mm rounds seems to stop a wraith fairly quickly (See episodes Aurora and the Siege Part I.) The MP5 and the UMP and other SMGs that fire the larger rounds are absent form Atlantis, but are still in use on Earth's SG teams occasionally.

First, a technical correction: the P90 fires a proprietary 5.7 x 28 mm round. Not the 5.56 NATO round used in the M16, M4, and a host of other weapons.

In 'The Seige, Part I' Sheppard emptied his entire magazine, reloaded, and emptied it again before the Wraith died. In Part III, Colonel Everett emptied his entire pistol magazine into a Wraith's belly, to no effect.

It's a cliche, but it's also true: size isn't everything. The 5.7mm round was designed for penetrating body armor and then dealing damage to the target without over penetrating.

The P90 itself can be considered a successor to the MP5. It is said by its proponents to have lower recoil, better accuracy, increased stopping power, and much better ergonomics than the older MP5s. As one article I put it, the P90 is the next evolution of the submachine gun.

Staff Sergeant

So maybe they should use the XM-29 with its 20 mm High Energy Air Burst (HEAB) Rounds. Wouldn't that stop the wraith quite nicely.

So maybe they should use the XM-29 with its 20 mm High Energy Air Burst (HEAB) Rounds. Wouldn't that stop the wraith quite nicely.
    The XM-29 has yet to be realized as a functional weapon. The P90 is, and was around years before it appeared on SG-1. Likewise, the XM-8 program was put on hold last fall, otherwise it might have been a contender to get used in the show. I'm hoping that the next regular weapon used in the show (probably in Atlantis' later seasons) will be the FN SCAR.

Besides, there's not a lot of wisdom in flinging high explosive fragmentation warheads around in the close quarters action that Stargate teams usually find themselves in.

Eh....the 9mm actually isn't that good (lots of soldiers are going back to the Colt 1911 automatic pistol cuz of the round). I'd prefer a 45 anyday. The force alone would knock anyone, including a Wraith, off it's feet. The only issue is the 45 is a difficult gun to shoot compared to 9mm and 22mm pistols.
    http://www.change.gov

The reason you should vote Republican in 2010.

I miss the Mp5 in Stargate, they're a all-time favourite weapon of mine.

Anyways, they should start using the Thompson M1A1 who fires .45 ACP rounds.

And of course, SG teams blasting away Wraith with Tommyguns is always fun.
    Scoping through the night...looking for Athosians
    http://films.cultes.free.fr/ndg1.gif

I'd think the next evolution would be the G36 series weapons.

Captain

Yes I agree with Icy, when your fighting the kind of things that Atlantis has to deal with, the bigger the round the better. Hitting them with a 7.62 would do considerably more than the 5.7 28 mm does from the P90.

Lieutenant Colonel freyr's mother's Avatar

They're 5.7 x 28mm rounds.

They don't use the MP-5 for 2 reasons.

1.) P-90 has a 50 round clip as opposed to a 30 round clip.
    2.) The P-90's 5.7 x 28mm rounds are armor piercing.

I like the MP-5, but I like the P90 better. My question is, why do SG and ATL teams carry Berettas rather than the FN 5-7 pistol? The 5-7 takes the same ammo as the P90, so it would make sense to carry it. Remember in "The Defiant One" where Sheppard's P90 was damaged and he ran out of 9mm rounds? If his sidearm was a 5-7 he could have used the bullets from his P90 and any other magazines he had yet to use.

Makes sense to me...
    Okay here's the deal with the P-90 rounds in the pistol. The P-90 mags cannot be unloaded by hand. The bullets are put in by a machine. I saw it on some episode of the history channel.

Quote Originally Posted by rarocks24
    Eh....the 9mm actually isn't that good (lots of soldiers are going back to the Colt 1911 automatic pistol cuz of the round). I'd prefer a 45 anyday.
    Have fun reloading

Quote Originally Posted by Damar
    Anyways, they should start using the Thompson M1A1 who fires .45 ACP rounds.
    They do need to start using them. They're pretty durable and can spit out a lot of bullets. They're especially useful in CQB situations.

Best Stargate quote:
    Sheppard: (yells to McKay) Canadian football is a joke! Celine Dion is overrated! Zelenka is smarter than you are!
    Green is your friend.

Earth Symbol Re: Why no MP5s in Atlantis?

Quote Originally Posted by freyr's mother
    Okay here's the deal with the P-90 rounds in the pistol. The P-90 mags cannot be unloaded by hand. The bullets are put in by a machine. I saw it on some episode of the history channel.
    Hmmm...well, I'm sure SG and ATL teams could be equipped with a tool to disassemble the P90 mags...there's gotta be a way. Heck, I'm sure you could break one open if you were determined enough.

Lieutenant Colonel freyr's mother's Avatar

Hmmm...well, I'm sure SG and ATL teams could be equipped with a tool to disassemble the P90 mags...there's gotta be a way. Heck, I'm sure you could break one open if you were determined enough.
    Yeah, if time was not of the essence. I'm sure you could bang it against a rock or something.

Best Stargate quote:
    Sheppard: (yells to McKay) Canadian football is a joke! Celine Dion is overrated! Zelenka is smarter than you are!
    Green is your friend.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast