No announcement yet.

Why no MP5s in Atlantis?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'd think the next evolution would be the G36 series weapons.

Comment

Yes I agree with Icy, when your fighting the kind of things that Atlantis has to deal with, the bigger the round the better. Hitting them with a 7.62 would do considerably more than the 5.7 28 mm does from the P90.
      www.theamericanright.com

A website by the people, for the people.

Comment

Originally posted by startrekker
        Why do they noit use the MP5 in Atlantis? After seeing that they need to put an entire magazine of those little 5.56 mm rounds in a wraith to kill him. The 92 FS Beretta with its 9 mm rounds seems to stop a wraith fairly quickly (See episodes Aurora and the Siege Part I.) The MP5 and the UMP and other SMGs that fire the larger rounds are absent form Atlantis, but are still in use on Earth's SG teams occasionally.

Why don't they use anything bigger than a tiny 5.56 mm P90?
        They're 5.7 x 28mm rounds.

They don't use the MP-5 for 2 reasons.

1.) P-90 has a 50 round clip as opposed to a 30 round clip.
        2.) The P-90's 5.7 x 28mm rounds are armor piercing.

Originally posted by Major Tyler
        I like the MP-5, but I like the P90 better. My question is, why do SG and ATL teams carry Berettas rather than the FN 5-7 pistol? The 5-7 takes the same ammo as the P90, so it would make sense to carry it. Remember in "The Defiant One" where Sheppard's P90 was damaged and he ran out of 9mm rounds? If his sidearm was a 5-7 he could have used the bullets from his P90 and any other magazines he had yet to use.

Makes sense to me...
        Okay here's the deal with the P-90 rounds in the pistol. The P-90 mags cannot be unloaded by hand. The bullets are put in by a machine. I saw it on some episode of the history channel.

Originally posted by rarocks24
        Eh....the 9mm actually isn't that good (lots of soldiers are going back to the Colt 1911 automatic pistol cuz of the round). I'd prefer a 45 anyday.
        Have fun reloading

Originally posted by Damar
        Anyways, they should start using the Thompson M1A1 who fires .45 ACP rounds.
        They do need to start using them. They're pretty durable and can spit out a lot of bullets. They're especially useful in CQB situations.

Best Stargate quote:
        Sheppard: (yells to McKay) Canadian football is a joke! Celine Dion is overrated! Zelenka is smarter than you are!
        Green is your friend.

Comment

Originally posted by freyr's mother
          Okay here's the deal with the P-90 rounds in the pistol. The P-90 mags cannot be unloaded by hand. The bullets are put in by a machine. I saw it on some episode of the history channel.
          Hmmm...well, I'm sure SG and ATL teams could be equipped with a tool to disassemble the P90 mags...there's gotta be a way. Heck, I'm sure you could break one open if you were determined enough.
          Secretary-General of GATO ¤ Defender of F.O.R.D.

Comment

Hmmm...well, I'm sure SG and ATL teams could be equipped with a tool to disassemble the P90 mags...there's gotta be a way. Heck, I'm sure you could break one open if you were determined enough.
            Yeah, if time was not of the essence. I'm sure you could bang it against a rock or something.

Best Stargate quote:
            Sheppard: (yells to McKay) Canadian football is a joke! Celine Dion is overrated! Zelenka is smarter than you are!
            Green is your friend.

Comment

Originally posted by freyr's mother
              Yeah, if time was not of the essence. I'm sure you could bang it against a rock or something.
              Better than having a bunch of bullets and a gun that won't fire them.
              Secretary-General of GATO ¤ Defender of F.O.R.D.

Comment

Better than having a bunch of bullets and a gun that won't fire them.
                True.

Best Stargate quote:
                Green is your friend.

Comment

Originally posted by Harekin
                  Theres no MP5's because they are pathetic girly weapons, they suck...period. P90 vs MP5...lol NO competition.
                  That's hardly the case. The MP5 is still in wide use by special forces units around the world. They are extremely accurate at close range, are silent when a supressor is used, and have next to no recoil. When it comes to CQC, it's probably the best weapon availible.
                  I'm not an actor. I just play one on TV.

Comment

MP5 fans rejoice! Season 3 episode "Phantoms" has a one Major Leonard equiped with the MP5, which he uses until the mag is empty, and then discards. But here is a thought for those out there who prefer this weapon. What exactly do you think the base weapon for the Genii SMGs is, under all that deco? MP5, model k.
                    Last edited by BrokenChevron; 06 October 2007, 04:38 PM.

Comment

I think that it has been stated in several episode commentaries of SG-1 that the reason they switched from MP-5s to P90s is because of the way the P90 ejects its shell casings. The MP-5 ejects its casings to the side, increasing the likelihood of an actor getting hit with a hot casing. The P90 ejects its shell casings straight down, so the odds of someone getting hit with one is much smaller. That is why you still see the MP-5 being carried by background people, but you rarely see it fired on screen anymore. That being said, the MP-5 is seen and used in Phantoms.

I also have another question about the P90s. Has anyone else noticed that from time to time, the team now carries a version of the P90 without the built in scope on the top? Instead it has a mounting rail for an accessory on the top. The type of P90 being used will sometimes randomly change while the team is offworld (Phantoms is a good example of this, Shep shows up on the planet with one without a scope and then later has one with a scope). The ones without scopes seem to be being used more and more, which seems odd since I feel like it would make the P90 harder to aim. The only time we've seen this version of the P90 with a 3rd party scope attached is in Seige Pt 2. All of the P90s carried by the reinforcements from Earth are the versions without at built-in scope. They instead have larger scopes attached. Do they not make the old ones with the built in scope anymore?

Comment

However, in the P-90's defense, while the rounds may be smaller, they are as a standard, armor-piercing, which means that if they have a flaw, it is that they go all the way through the Wraith, whereas 9mm rounds would just bury themselves. As for accuracy, you have to realize that the p-90 loads the ammo from the rear, whic means that the actual gun's barrel is the length of the gun. Suppressors can also be attached to it, see episode "Irresponsible". This means that it is a highly accurate weapon, granted, a little on the loud side. The primary advantage though, the main reason it is so widely used, is it's downward shell ejection.

Comment

How about all Atlantis military personnal each carry a M249? Its not that heavy(really its not), it has a 200 round magazine(or you can put a magazine from a M16 in the side) and the rounds are the same as a M16 and I think a M4.

Comment

quick question

I thought the p90 uses a bigger round the 5.7, i been reading why didnt shep carry the 5-7 around so he could use the same bullets as the p90....but some say they use the standard 5.56.

which one is it?
                            DAM YOU SCI FI.....DAM U TO SCI HELL arghhhh.....

Comment

Originally posted by Amb. Shepphard(ARC) View Post
                              How about all Atlantis military personnal each carry a M249? Its not that heavy(really its not), it has a 200 round magazine(or you can put a magazine from a M16 in the side) and the rounds are the same as a M16 and I think a M4.
                              It's not really accurate, plus it weighs 10kg (without extra ammo) loaded, the P90 only weighs 3 kg (loaded)

Comment

Originally posted by MacDevil View Post
                                I also have another question about the P90s. Has anyone else noticed that from time to time, the team now carries a version of the P90 without the built in scope on the top? Instead it has a mounting rail for an accessory on the top. The type of P90 being used will sometimes randomly change while the team is offworld (Phantoms is a good example of this, Shep shows up on the planet with one without a scope and then later has one with a scope). The ones without scopes seem to be being used more and more, which seems odd since I feel like it would make the P90 harder to aim. The only time we've seen this version of the P90 with a 3rd party scope attached is in Seige Pt 2. All of the P90s carried by the reinforcements from Earth are the versions without at built-in scope. They instead have larger scopes attached. Do they not make the old ones with the built in scope anymore?
                                Yes, I've noticed that as well. You're seeing the P-90 T or TR, can't recall which at the moment, but basically it swaps the scope for a Pictanny Tactical or Triple Rail for putting on new scopes with zoom or other features. The still make the regular P-90, but for whatever reason TPTB sometimes use the P-90 T(R).

Comment

Working...
                                X