Default Horus... Egyptian God of the Pharoah

Often associated with the Moon as an oppisite of Ra I would like to start a fan fic where Horus (a system lord) comes into play. Does anybody have any canon information of this character, because if he has alredy been used I do not want to use Horus.

Default Re: Horus... Egyptian God of the Pharoah

Spoiler

He died, already.
    http://www3.sympatico.ca/cyc/nub.jpg
    "ARRRG! My dry cleaning bill this month is over $10,000!"

how? When?

I have the first and 3rd seasons with the 2nd and fourth comming in soon. In all of the episodes that I have watched I do not recall this happening?

Here is his info:
    http://www.gateworld.net/goauld/heruur.shtml

And the episode where he uh..
    link
    The link tells you which episode he went up to that happy place, so a bit of spoiler. Careful.

Horus really wasn't associated with the moon, that was more Thoth. Horus has never been mentioned in Stargate although the hawk-headed Jaffa are known as Horus Guards.

Heru-ur was a System Lord on SG1, and in mythology he was an elder form of Horus as a creator god. But they have never done anything with Horus son of Osiris and Isis.

Quote Originally Posted by Lugal
    Horus really wasn't associated with the moon, that was more Thoth. Horus has never been mentioned in Stargate although the hawk-headed Jaffa are known as Horus Guards.

Heru-ur was a System Lord on SG1, and in mythology he was an elder form of Horus as a creator god. But they have never done anything with Horus son of Osiris and Isis.
    Then I am mistaken, for the longest time I thought Heru-u was a variation on the name Horus.

http://www.gwydir.demon.co.uk/jo/egypt/horus.htm

check the last paragraph.

Quote Originally Posted by 220683
    Then I am mistaken, for the longest time I thought Heru-u was a variation on the name Horus.
    It is and it isn't. The Egyptian form of Horus was I think, Hor (since they didn't use vowels it's not certain). Heru-ur was Hellenized as Horoeris or something like that.

The confusing thing with Egyptian gods was that over their history many were merged (Amun-Ra) or they were just aspects of one another anyway (Hathor was originally an aspect of Isis) A form of Ra was known as "Horus of the Horizon". Harcesis was also an aspect of Horus.

It is and it isn't. The Egyptian form of Horus was I think, Hor (since they didn't use vowels it's not certain). Heru-ur was Hellenized as Horoeris or something like that.

The confusing thing with Egyptian gods was that over their history many were merged (Amun-Ra) or they were just aspects of one another anyway (Hathor was originally an aspect of Isis) A form of Ra was known as "Horus of the Horizon". Harcesis was also an aspect of Horus.
    So is it safe to assume Heru-u is Horus from the aspect of Stargate? There will not be another system lord with the name Horus right?

Interesting. Perhaps it is best not to touch on this God and use someone else.

Quote Originally Posted by 220683
    So is it safe to assume Heru-u is Horus from the aspect of Stargate? There will not be another system lord with the name Horus right?
    To quote Jack O'Neill from Wormhole Extreme:

"Yeah, why not?

In the world of stargate Heru'ur and Horus are one in the same.
    Last edited by earck; August 2nd, 2004 at 04:56 PM.
    -EARCK

"You ended that sentence in a preposition, *******!"
    -Jack O'Niell