This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What did YOU learn?

As American student, the world history I learn is, sorry to say, one sided. I've always wondered what students in other countries learn about events where we learn that the Americans are "the good guys" (to Americans, at least). For instance, what do students in England learn about the American Revolution? What do German students learn about the Holocaust and World War II? What do Japanese students learn about Pearl Habor? These are just some of the questions I've had, so come on people from other countries... talk away.

This thread is not meant to insult or make any country look bad.

I live in the United States and my history classes did not gloss over America's mistakes. We would have discussions about all sort of things, like if we should have rebelled from the UK etc. Our crimes against Mexico (Mexican war), Native Americans (killing them and stealing their land), the Japanese (atomic bombs), and the Germans (Dresden) are unforgivable.

Comment

Originally posted by Jumper One
      As American student, the world history I learn is, sorry to say, one sided. I've always wondered what students in other countries learn about events where we learn that the Americans are "the good guys" (to Americans, at least). For instance, what do students in England learn about the American Revolution? What do German students learn about the Holocaust and World War II? What do Japanese students learn about Pearl Habor? These are just some of the questions I've had, so come on people from other countries... talk away.

This thread is not meant to insult or make any country look bad.
      Nothing, we learn stuff about WW1, WW2, our past kings, torture in the older days, etc. I didn't carry it on at GCSE though, it was a pretty dull subject and I dont think the teacher liked me much pretty sure she was racist.

sigpic
      Gate City - My humorous Stargate site made when I was young, enjoy!
      Previously known as False hope who was previously known as McKay's girl

Comment

Hmm, my opinion is that history is a flawed concept. It doesn't take into account a person's point of view. History is primarily determined by each culture's point of view. For the most part, history in America does have a side on what we did to Mexico over the years. Yes, we feel bad for taking the land, but no, we aren't going to return it either. Also, American history is subject to political and cultural bias as well, the French Resistance is rarely, if ever, mentioned in the U.S. textbook, though I don't know, I suspect the British are sort of anti-French in their view on WWII, Italy is basically treated okay, they don't like Musolini that much, and the American textbook never, EVER mentioned Guernica. Nor did it mention the complete conventional bombing of a German city filled to the brink with refugees by the Allies. In fact, I don't think the Rape of Nanking is mentioned either.

Also, America tends to ignore things as well. The slaughter of millions by the Khmer Rouge after the withdrawal from Vietnam is completely overlooked by U.S. textbooks.

So I imagine American history isn't much different from other country's histories, containing both cultural, political, and religious bias all.
        http://www.change.gov

The reason you should vote Republican in 2010.

Comment

Originally posted by rarocks24
          In fact, I don't think the Rape of Nanking is mentioned either.

Also, America tends to ignore things as well. The slaughter of millions by the Khmer Rouge after the withdrawal from Vietnam is completely overlooked by U.S. textbooks.
          Yeah, this year our teacher made a point to tell us that none of it is mentioned in the textbook before we learned about it.

Comment

Working...
          X