This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by rarocks24
    This Dark Kingdom ad is really starting to annoy me. I find that it works better in Internet Explorer than Firefox, but still, incredibly annoying.
    Ads full stop annoy me! Made worse because most of the ads have ridiculous load times.

Comment

Originally posted by Major Tyler
      GateWorld get money everytime an add loads, and even more more money when someone actually clicks on an add. So, yes, even having the ads sit atop the page generates revenue for the site. Adblock and the like completely severs that financial source. My opinion as a *person* (rather than as a mod) is that disabling those ads is tantamount to stealing (from?) GateWorld.

If you really love GateWorld, you should consider occasionally clicking on an ad just to give the site a nice financial boost...even if it's just once a week, if everyone did that, GW would never have a funds problem.Like Skydiver said, GW doesn't choose the ads, but even if we did, should you feel justified in stealing something because you no longer like the price?
      I agree with your opinion ...
      Which leads me to my next question. If I click on the ad where will it lead me? I never click on ads because, my understanding is, it'll take me to another ad I need to click, and another and another and another ... and my computer will become infiltrated with cookies I don't want.

Suggestions?

Adrianne
      If I never reply to something you said to me, it doesn't mean I'm ignoring you, it means I'm lazy and the thread moves too fast.
      It's all explained here. Well, one part anyhow

My LibraryThing.

Comment

i gotta say.
        I never minded the ad at the top.
        But this new ad at the bottom above the quick reply box is really in the way.

have you ever considered ads that are in the margins?

Comment

"In the way" ads pay more than unintrusive ads because they're more likely to be seen. This is why pop ups gained such popularity. The more intrusive it is, the more it will be noticed, and thus the product name will get out there.
          Cogito ergo dubito.

"How happy are the astrologers if they tell one truth to a hundred lies, while other people lose all credibility if they tell one lie to a hundred truths." - Francesco Guicciardini

An escalator can never be broken, it can only become stairs. You never see "Escalator temporarily out of service." It's "Escalator temporarily stairs. Sorry for the convenience." - Mitch Hedberg

Comment

Just curious, but is there any way we can just make a donation to Gateworld so we do not have to see the ads any longer? I'm assuming the ads are used to raise money in order to keep the site going, but I won't use the ads so it's really a waste of time for me. I'd much rather just donate to a site I enjoy and not have to deal with the ads any longer.

My apologies if this has already been suggested and I missed the post,
            Kat

Comment

From what I understand, Darren doesn't wanna go that route. Yet.

Comment

Ads exist so that the site can remain free. But yep, we are definitely kicking around a paid forum subscription program that will allow you to go ad-free (and get some extra perks to boot). Stay tuned for more on this.
                GateWorld Podcast - Info - iTunes - Google
                The Stargate Omnipedia - www.StargateOmnipedia.com
                Stargate Image Gallery - www.StargateGallery.com

Comment

Originally posted by Darren
                  Ads exist so that the site can remain free. But yep, we are definitely kicking around a paid forum subscription program that will allow you to go ad-free (and get some extra perks to boot). Stay tuned for more on this.
                  Would that be a one time payment or monthly?

Comment

Originally posted by Morbo
                    i gotta say.
                    I never minded the ad at the top.
                    But this new ad at the bottom above the quick reply box is really in the way.

have you ever considered ads that are in the margins?
                    Oh please NO. With the top and bottom ads you can easily scroll those off the screen, but the side ads you can't do that real easily. The main Gateworld website page has the side ads and they annoy me so much I rarely go there.

On the other hand, I'm spending way too much time on this forum and that would help me cut back.
                    sigpic

To see the complete animated picture timeline of the comet landing - http://xkcd1446.org/#7

From the wonderful XKCD site http://xkcd.com/1446/

Comment

It would be a regular cost, hopefully with options to pay monthly, quarterly, bi-annually, or annually. Not sure yet.

Comment

Where do you guys see ads?

24/7 Wake - KrackHouse server: 69.28.221.211:16567
                        24/7 Groundpounders - Krackhouse: 69.28.221.210:16567
                        Both heavily admined.

Comment

Originally posted by Darren
                          I have to say Darren seeing the "press the fart button" ads makes me want to hand over my credit card details to you right now.

Comment

I can't say I've seen that one.

Comment

i have and that star trek ad is driving me up a wall
                              https://twitter.com/#!/Solar_wind84

Comment

At least I haven't seen the "facedown naked woman Invasion" ad in a while. I'm back to seeing the Dish Network ad every time, again.
                                Cogito ergo dubito.

"How happy are the astrologers if they tell one truth to a hundred lies, while other people lose all credibility if they tell one lie to a hundred truths." - Francesco Guicciardini

An escalator can never be broken, it can only become stairs. You never see "Escalator temporarily out of service." It's "Escalator temporarily stairs. Sorry for the convenience." - Mitch Hedberg

Comment

Working...
                                X