This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Agent_Dark
    Again, don't take this the wrong way, but if you decide to go with intrusive and annoying ads then you'll have to expect people will take measures to block them.
    we don't decide. a third party does.
    Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Major Tyler
      That may not be your intent, but it is the result.
      No it wont, only if every single member of the forum used a Adblocker, which they now can, qouls it happen and even then new members would click on them so it sorts its self out...eventually

Comment

ok i'm confused so does gateworld get money just for the ads sitting on the site or do you have to click on them to get money or if you buy the product that there are selling in the ad

how does the revenue syetem work
        Last edited by Pharaoh Atem; 08 February 2006, 05:19 AM.
        https://twitter.com/#!/Solar_wind84

Comment

I think that if you click on the Google ads then the person who set them up gets money, the other ones I have no idea !

Comment

Originally posted by NightWing
            ok i'm confused so does gateworld get money just for the ads sitting on the site or do you have to click on them to get money or if you buy the product that there are selling in the ad

how does the revenue syetem work
            GateWorld get money everytime an add loads, and even more more money when someone actually clicks on an add. So, yes, even having the ads sit atop the page generates revenue for the site. Adblock and the like completely severs that financial source. My opinion as a *person* (rather than as a mod) is that disabling those ads is tantamount to stealing (from?) GateWorld.

If you really love GateWorld, you should consider occasionally clicking on an ad just to give the site a nice financial boost...even if it's just once a week, if everyone did that, GW would never have a funds problem.
            Originally posted by Agent_Dark
            Again, don't take this the wrong way, but if you decide to go with intrusive and annoying ads then you'll have to expect people will take measures to block them.
            Like Skydiver said, GW doesn't choose the ads, but even if we did, should you feel justified in stealing something because you no longer like the price?
            Secretary-General of GATO ¤ Defender of F.O.R.D.

Comment

GateWorld get money everytime an add loads, and even more more money when someone actually clicks on an add. So, yes, even having the ads sit atop the page generates revenue for the site. Adblock and the like completely severs that financial source. My opinion as a *person* (rather than as a mod) is that disabling those ads is tantamount to stealing (from?) GateWorld.

If you really love GateWorld, you should consider occasionally clicking on an ad just to give the site a nice financial boost...even if it's just once a week, if everyone did that, GW would never have a funds problem.
              I don't mind the static ads, but the ad we were having problems with was stopping us from using the forum. I couldn't use any of the links at the top of the page.
              sigpic

Comment

Can I make a suggestion here that is a happy medium?

If you're only using adblocker (not the updater), you can set it to block just that ad. When a page with that ad comes up, go to Tools>AdBlock>List All Blockable Elements. It should pop up a list of all the files referenced on the page. Go to the "script" that comes from gorillanation, click it, then click okay. When you reload the page, that ad should be filtered out, but the others will remain.
                "Sometimes we reach what's realest by making believe..."
                My LiveJournal - My Photography - My Art

Comment

Originally posted by xfkirsten
                  Can I make a suggestion here that is a happy medium?

If you're only using adblocker (not the updater), you can set it to block just that ad. When a page with that ad comes up, go to Tools>AdBlock>List All Blockable Elements. It should pop up a list of all the files referenced on the page. Go to the "script" that comes from gorillanation, click it, then click okay. When you reload the page, that ad should be filtered out, but the others will remain.
                  That's cool. Also, I think that with AdBlock you can set it so that it will still allow the ad to load, but you just won't be able to see it. I'm not sure how to enable that, though.

Comment

Originally posted by ShadowMaat
                    I don't suppose you could add that to the "filter these out" list, huh Darren?
                    Unfortunately these Flash ads aren't on the list of those we can block or remove from rotation, as GateWorld was among the list of sites our advertising company originally pitched to the client. We've basically pre-agreed to run those ads, as opposed to the more generic (general, non-sf) ads like Western Union.

The best we can do is report the problem to the agency and request that their developers experiment with the ad code in different browser environments to try and resolve the problem for a bigger segment of users.

I don't blame people for using ad blockers or disabling Flash, and I certainly don't consider it stealing from the site any more than fast-forwarding through commercials on TiVo is stealing from the network or the TV studio.

But for those who do consider GW a home and want to support it, it's very unhelpful. Consider, those of you who play here an hour or more every day, just how many page impressions you alone generate in a single month. I've done the math, and it's substantial.
                    GateWorld Podcast - Info - iTunes - Google
                    The Stargate Omnipedia - www.StargateOmnipedia.com
                    Stargate Image Gallery - www.StargateGallery.com

Comment

Originally posted by Darren
                      I don't blame people for using ad blockers or disabling Flash, and I certainly don't consider it stealing from the site any more than fast-forwarding through commercials on TiVo is stealing from the network or the TV studio.
                      Well, the network doesn't get money by just having the commercial on the screen the same way you get money from ads loading, but point taken...I'll try to tone down my anti-AdBlock rhetoric.

Comment

I could kill you atm.... FF just crashed on me cause i read your post and seen the above quote so i kept on opening ads in new tabs(cool that rhymns) I know now how to help GW live long
                        And one more thing... Ive never seen flash ads on GW and i have my browsers flash player enabled
                        The doctor told me Im insane, thank God! its so much better then being outsane!

Comment

Originally posted by Eoin
                          I could kill you atm.... FF just crashed on me cause i read your post and seen the above quote so i kept on opening ads in new tabs(cool that rhymns) I know now how to help GW live long
                          And one more thing... Ive never seen flash ads on GW and i have my browsers flash player enabled
                          Uh oh... Sorry.

Comment

Someone may have mentioned this already, but NoScript simply blocks javascript and plugins from servers unless explicitly allowed. Sans Adblock, this means that intrusive ads will be blocked while static ads and such will still show. I find this a nice compromise between the need of a site for revenue, and my desire to block intrusive ads.

May advertisers one day be considerate. Unfortunately I don't think it'll happen anytime soon.
                            Cogito ergo dubito.

"How happy are the astrologers if they tell one truth to a hundred lies, while other people lose all credibility if they tell one lie to a hundred truths." - Francesco Guicciardini

An escalator can never be broken, it can only become stairs. You never see "Escalator temporarily out of service." It's "Escalator temporarily stairs. Sorry for the convenience." - Mitch Hedberg

Comment

That damn ad is annoying. We just recently got a new computer because the other one finally crapped out after 5 years. (Thank the gods. I hated that rust bucket.) But I haven’t dl’ed the ad blocker extension for Firefox yet, like I did on that old PC. So right now I’m once again contributing pennies to GW....

Instead of refreshing the page to get that evil thing to go away so I can log in, I just click on some other folder in the forum which will usually throw up a different ad and unblocking the login spot. The thing I really hate about it is that obviously the ad is dropping down and covering up the menus, but for some bizarre reason I can’t see the drop-down. It’s like it’s invisible. So I’m trying to click on the menus, but getting nadda results. *grrr*
                              IMO always implied.

Comment

right click in the blocked area, then click settings and it will shade it for you.

Comment

Working...
                                X