This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ChevronSeven
    I'm new to Firefox. Where can I find this and use Adblock?
    Hi. Sorry, I didn't read your post till now. Have you installed Adblock yet? If you haven't, you will find it here - https://addons.mozilla.org/extension...cation=firefox

Just click on the Install Now link in the yellow box and follow the dialog instructions.

If you DO decide to use Adblock, remember to allow adverts on GateWorld, as every page impression provides GateWorld with revenue.
    "Captain, you almost make me believe in luck."

Comment

Originally posted by Skydiver
      what i do?

i hate, hate, HATE flash ads

>>snip<<flash is evil and should be banned!!!!!!!!
      I couldn't agree more. I HATE moving ANYTHING on a page that I'm trying to read - text, images, blinkies, UGH. Flash is the most aggrivating thing on the internet that's not actually adware/spyware/virii/etc. Flash is actually why I switched to Firefox from IE - there's a extension called Flashblock that must have been sent directly from God to the internet it's so glorious. It by default blocks anything flash and shows a little play button instead. If you want or need to see it, like streaming video or Scifi's website, you click on the play button and it plays that particular bit of flash just as if it'd never been blocked. If it's like a newspaper ad.... you just never click on it. Heaven

And I'm glad to see Gateworld's owner understands that it's not stealing to block ads. I personally try to instead use the Amazon link to buy the DVDs, but I'm never very clear on if the site actually gets any support after I browse around loading my cart up with bunches of other stuff.

Comment

seeing RED!! (growl!)

that blasted ad for "V for Vendetta" popped up a few days ago and blocked my ability to vote on GW's main page. (...and it *is* more ever present in recent days/weeks than it used to be.)

now that same ad popped up several times -within the span of a few minutes- in my attempt to post this message here. It's taken several times just to enter a new screen with a reply box without that ad. And one time something dropped down with it in the background.

It's almost as if that particular ad has a "V for Vendetta" against posting to GW's forum topics - conspiracy theory!

EDIT: (agh!!) guess which ad just popped up again, while submitting "reply" on this post...?? I think it goes thru cycles.

Comment

Usually, I can just refresh the page once and the blasted red V banner ad goes away. However, for whatever reason, tonight it just is not working. Everytime I refresh, I keep getting that same ad. Took forever to log-in and is causing a navigation headache. Oh well, will just come back later.

Comment

No kidding. This Vendetta thing is seriously pissing me off. I have a hard enough time right now even GETTING to the forum without having to hit refresh a dozen fracking times to get rid of the damn ad so I can log in.

Or maybe Greg can add a login window to the BOTTOM of the page.

Comment

GRRRRRRRR This is stupid!!! They have a break and then give us another flash as! I can't use half of gateworld without constantly refreshing and hoping the ad would change!!!

Comment

There's another drop down box ad that was disabling the top menu selections. I don't know which one that appeared from, but I think I have a fairly good idea...

Because the topic I was in was still on page one, I had to find another way to change to a new topic in order to Log Out.

Comment

*Whistles* Oh SGalisaaa

If you look down below my post, yeah it's okay, have a looky, you will see a handy menu bar that's exactly the same as the top one.

Comment

EDIT: okay, now I see it... (duhhh!) didn't scroll far enough below.
                    thanks!!

Comment

This Dark Kingdom ad is really starting to annoy me. I find that it works better in Internet Explorer than Firefox, but still, incredibly annoying.
                      http://www.change.gov

The reason you should vote Republican in 2010.

Comment

I don't see any of those drop-down flash adverts now. I filtered those ones out. All the regular gif/jpg banner ads load okay though.

Comment

does gaterworld get any extra money ( more then it would with just one) now that there is a ad at the bottom of the forums
                          https://twitter.com/#!/Solar_wind84

Comment

Hmm... Was the bottom ad put in as part of some diabolical scheme to disable the bottom menu links that were added to combat the disabling effect of ads at the top of the page?

Comment

Mal: Yes.
                              Shadow: No. (The bottom menu links are too far away to be affected. )
                              GateWorld Podcast - Info - iTunes - Google
                              The Stargate Omnipedia - www.StargateOmnipedia.com
                              Stargate Image Gallery - www.StargateGallery.com

Comment

IMO, the ads at the bottom of the page are a bit too much.

And please to do not tell me to disable them because the program is in use on other program and I don't want to turn them off just for gateworld and then turn it back on for the other sites.

That's my opinon and I'm sticking to it.

Thanks for listening.

Comment

Working...
                                X