This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by rarocks24
    It's not Adblock that you want...It's noscript. Adblock won't work on this. Though you do have to say that Gateworld.Net is an approved site for javascript. But ABSOLUTELY DON'T ACCEPT falkag.net.
    Err, Adblock does in fact work. I'm using it right now.

Originally posted by Nathanus
    So this ad blocking thingy for firefox. does that kill the google ads too or just the annoying flash ones?
    Any ads. Google ads, flash ads - anything.
    Download Adblock Plus, and the Adblock Filterset.G Updater. It will kill 99% of the ads around. The filterset.g thing is basically a big list of known adsites that automatically gets updated and added to adblocks filter list. You can also manually block ads (and not just ads but image links, flash objects etc. It's handy for blocking those huge sigs that people like to use...)

Comment

Originally posted by Agent_Dark
      Err, Adblock does in fact work. I'm using it right now.

Download Adblock Plus, and the Adblock Filterset.G Updater. It will kill 99% of the ads around. The filterset.g thing is basically a big list of known adsites that automatically gets updated and added to adblocks filter list. You can also manually block ads (and not just ads but image links, flash objects etc. It's handy for blocking those huge sigs that people like to use...)
      Oooh, I didn't know about the updater - I opened the list of blockable components on the page, and had adblock block that specific ad. Thanks!
      "Sometimes we reach what's realest by making believe..."
      My LiveJournal - My Photography - My Art

Comment

0oooooooooooooooh good im not the only one annoyed by that gorram ad. its very annoying.
        sigpic

Comment

miss dark is correct, it does work!

Comment

grrr, well, this is a first. Normally those ad thingies don't impede my forum perusing, but that stupid poltergeist one is occasionally interfering *scowl*

Comment

Thanks Agent_Dark I am using them now, and the adverts are gone

Comment

Sif not use the adblock plus extension Combine it the adblock filterset.g extension and 99.9% of the ads on the internet will never bother you again
                and thus cutting 99.9% of Gateworld's revenue streams.

Comment

Originally posted by Greg
                  Oh yes, a handful of people using filters will make Gateworld go bankrupt.

I don't mind the Google ads or other static ones, but those drop-downs are a royal pain in the ass and I'm not fond of the flashy animated ones, either. Home comp has filters, work comp does not. Most of my time is at work, anyway.

Comment

Originally posted by Greg
                    Don't take this the wrong way, but that really isn't of any concern to me. I'm not blocking the ads because I want GW to go bankrupt, I'm blocking the ads because they piss me off

Comment

I only tunr the blocker on when this new ad appears, once its gone, I turn it off. And so GW won't go bankrupt

Comment

what i do?

i hate, hate, HATE flash ads

absolutely hate the buggers. they slow every single page down (not just her but on yahoo too) since the page doesn't load until they do and if they'er on a slow server, yep takes a minuet for the page to load

how i get rid of it? (oh and i have yet to see this poltergeist ad)

go to
                        tools
                        manage add ons

let that load. look for 'macromedia shockwave player' and disable it

you will have to reload the page but presto changeo all flash ads will not play

now the down side, go to a site like scifi.com and it's unusuable since thier menu's are built into the flash ads...but just reverse it
                        tools, manage add ons, enable flash player and you got it back

simple way to avoid the flash crud while still allowing static ads through (which i don't mind)

flash is evil and should be banned!!!!!!!!
                        Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Skydiver
                          what i do?

i hate, hate, HATE flash ads

absolutely hate the buggers. they slow every single page down (not just her but on yahoo too) since the page doesn't load until they do and if they'er on a slow server, yep takes a minuet for the page to load

how i get rid of it? (oh and i have yet to see this poltergeist ad)

go to
                          tools
                          manage add ons

let that load. look for 'macromedia shockwave player' and disable it

you will have to reload the page but presto changeo all flash ads will not play

now the down side, go to a site like scifi.com and it's unusuable since thier menu's are built into the flash ads...but just reverse it
                          tools, manage add ons, enable flash player and you got it back

simple way to avoid the flash crud while still allowing static ads through (which i don't mind)

flash is evil and should be banned!!!!!!!!
                          lol, that is overkill Sky Just get an adblocker so you can cut the crap but still keep the good flash stuff.

Comment

Don't take this the wrong way, but that really isn't of any concern to me. I'm not blocking the ads because I want GW to go bankrupt, I'm blocking the ads because they piss me off
                            That may not be your intent, but it is the result.
                            Secretary-General of GATO ¤ Defender of F.O.R.D.

Comment

Originally posted by Major Tyler
                              That may not be your intent, but it is the result.
                              Again, don't take this the wrong way, but if you decide to go with intrusive and annoying ads then you'll have to expect people will take measures to block them.

Comment

lol, that is overkill Sky Just get an adblocker so you can cut the crap but still keep the good flash stuff.
                                no, flash is evil!!!

i even have a nice fast lappy (2 gig processor, 512 of ram) and some of those ads kick my processor into high gear not to mention the horiffic delays in pages loading cause the 300K ads have to download first.

i hate flash and i refuse to use sites that bog their stuff down with all that crud.
                                Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X