This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Problems with a GateWorld Ad? - Provide Ad DETAILS

The new flash ad for poltergeist stops the entire top section of the forum from working for me.

What I mean is none of the menu items are clickable while that ad is running. That includes the other menu for "FAQ" etc. I had to wait until the google ads came up before I click in the "My Controls" menu item.

It seems that the flash having an option for extra space puts a transparant image over that section to "reserve" it, in effect diabling the menu.

I'm unsure if this happens in IE as I use Firefox.

Thought you should know

I've been having the same problem. I usually just close out of my browser and open it back up....and repeat until I can log-in.

It was a problem not too long ago as well. I think it's just one of those minor inconviences that not much can be done about.

EDIT
    Okay.....bit of a hindrance now....it's the only ad pulling up everytime I refresh the page making it a bit difficult to navigate
    Last edited by CalmStorm; 07 February 2006, 05:51 PM.

Comment

I've been having trouble with it, too. The "close" tag doesn't work. I have to reload the page.

These drop down ads in general seem to be a real pain in the ass. Every time one crops up, people start having problems with them.

I don't suppose you could add that to the "filter these out" list, huh Darren?

Comment

Banners like that stopped showing up for like a month. Now they're back. I do anything on GW with it!!

Comment

Same problem here, I use fire fox to, Don't know about in user cp but in threads scroll down and look for a another menu, at least that lets you get back to the main forum

Comment

Yes, it is terrible. You can't escape it.

Comment

It's driving me crazy!
              sigpic

Comment

Yeah ... anything above 'View First Unread' will not work (and atm i have the poltergeist ad up ... I haven't tried anything without it being up). It's very annoying, particularly if you want to see if anyones given you rep ... or if you want to do a search... OH NO! That means people won't be searching ... I see repeat threads popping up Left, Right and Centre...

Greg? Quickly please!!!
                I'm not Weird, I'm Gifted!

Comment

I have the same problem, and this is not the only site that does it. I read about movies on ComingSoon.net and their adds block their menus too sometimes.

Comment

I'm having no problems with it since I have the NoScript Firefox Extention. But I did have that problem a computer at school.
                    sigpic

Comment

wow no probelms here and i've been on all day no lie the forums have been working great lately

my only probelm and it's has nothing to do with gateworld
                      it's the probelm with vBulletin it won't let me create threads
                      https://twitter.com/#!/Solar_wind84

Comment

I had to use a different way to log in. It is really getting annoying.
                        The greatest thing you'll ever learn is just to love and be loved in return.

Live life for what you have and those you love.

Comment

FYI - as an extention to my first post ... I just logged in on IE and everything is fine. it seems to be a Firefox problem.
                          I'm not Weird, I'm Gifted!

Comment

Originally posted by nathanaus
                            I'm unsure if this happens in IE as I use Firefox.
                            Sif not use the adblock plus extension Combine it the adblock filterset.g extension and 99.9% of the ads on the internet will never bother you again

Comment

This has happened before with the drop down ads but never this badly for me. It just took me nearly twenty minutes to log in because I had to keep refreshing the page.

I don't mind ads, but when they start interfering so badly with browsing the forum it becomes an issue. And the close tag didn't work for me either. I'm wondering how long it will take this particular ad to expire.

Comment

Working...
                              X