Page 3 of 52 FirstFirst 12345613 ... LastLast
Results 41 to 60 of 1038
  1. #41
    You call that a glowstick?
    (Moderator)
    Skydiver's Avatar
    Member Since
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Kansas
    Posts
    54,870

    Default Re: new ad for poltergeist stops menus working

    what i do?

    i hate, hate, HATE flash ads

    absolutely hate the buggers. they slow every single page down (not just her but on yahoo too) since the page doesn't load until they do and if they'er on a slow server, yep takes a minuet for the page to load

    how i get rid of it? (oh and i have yet to see this poltergeist ad)

    go to
    tools
    manage add ons

    let that load. look for 'macromedia shockwave player' and disable it

    you will have to reload the page but presto changeo all flash ads will not play

    now the down side, go to a site like scifi.com and it's unusuable since thier menu's are built into the flash ads...but just reverse it
    tools, manage add ons, enable flash player and you got it back

    simple way to avoid the flash crud while still allowing static ads through (which i don't mind)

    flash is evil and should be banned!!!!!!!!

  2. #42
    Colonel Agent_Dark's Avatar
    Member Since
    Jan 2005
    Location
    LOL
    Posts
    6,096

    Default Re: new ad for poltergeist stops menus working

    Quote Originally Posted by Skydiver
    what i do?

    i hate, hate, HATE flash ads

    absolutely hate the buggers. they slow every single page down (not just her but on yahoo too) since the page doesn't load until they do and if they'er on a slow server, yep takes a minuet for the page to load

    how i get rid of it? (oh and i have yet to see this poltergeist ad)

    go to
    tools
    manage add ons

    let that load. look for 'macromedia shockwave player' and disable it

    you will have to reload the page but presto changeo all flash ads will not play

    now the down side, go to a site like scifi.com and it's unusuable since thier menu's are built into the flash ads...but just reverse it
    tools, manage add ons, enable flash player and you got it back

    simple way to avoid the flash crud while still allowing static ads through (which i don't mind)

    flash is evil and should be banned!!!!!!!!
    lol, that is overkill Sky Just get an adblocker so you can cut the crap but still keep the good flash stuff.

  3. #43
    Colonel Major Tyler's Avatar
    Member Since
    May 2004
    Location
    Den Haag
    Posts
    6,038

    GateWorld Re: new ad for poltergeist stops menus working

    Quote Originally Posted by Agent_Dark
    Don't take this the wrong way, but that really isn't of any concern to me. I'm not blocking the ads because I want GW to go bankrupt, I'm blocking the ads because they piss me off
    That may not be your intent, but it is the result.

  4. #44
    Colonel Agent_Dark's Avatar
    Member Since
    Jan 2005
    Location
    LOL
    Posts
    6,096

    Default Re: new ad for poltergeist stops menus working

    Quote Originally Posted by Major Tyler
    That may not be your intent, but it is the result.
    Again, don't take this the wrong way, but if you decide to go with intrusive and annoying ads then you'll have to expect people will take measures to block them.

  5. #45
    You call that a glowstick?
    (Moderator)
    Skydiver's Avatar
    Member Since
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Kansas
    Posts
    54,870

    Default Re: new ad for poltergeist stops menus working

    Quote Originally Posted by Agent_Dark
    lol, that is overkill Sky Just get an adblocker so you can cut the crap but still keep the good flash stuff.
    no, flash is evil!!!

    i even have a nice fast lappy (2 gig processor, 512 of ram) and some of those ads kick my processor into high gear not to mention the horiffic delays in pages loading cause the 300K ads have to download first.

    i hate flash and i refuse to use sites that bog their stuff down with all that crud.

  6. #46
    You call that a glowstick?
    (Moderator)
    Skydiver's Avatar
    Member Since
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Kansas
    Posts
    54,870

    Default Re: new ad for poltergeist stops menus working

    Quote Originally Posted by Agent_Dark
    Again, don't take this the wrong way, but if you decide to go with intrusive and annoying ads then you'll have to expect people will take measures to block them.
    we don't decide. a third party does.

  7. #47

    Default Re: new ad for poltergeist stops menus working

    Quote Originally Posted by Major Tyler
    That may not be your intent, but it is the result.
    No it wont, only if every single member of the forum used a Adblocker, which they now can, qouls it happen and even then new members would click on them so it sorts its self out...eventually

  8. #48
    Lieutenant General Pharaoh Atem's Avatar
    Member Since
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Chicago
    Posts
    19,734

    Default Re: new ad for poltergeist stops menus working

    ok i'm confused so does gateworld get money just for the ads sitting on the site or do you have to click on them to get money or if you buy the product that there are selling in the ad

    how does the revenue syetem work
    Last edited by Pharaoh Atem; February 8th, 2006 at 06:19 AM.

  9. #49

    Default Re: new ad for poltergeist stops menus working

    I think that if you click on the Google ads then the person who set them up gets money, the other ones I have no idea !

  10. #50
    Colonel Major Tyler's Avatar
    Member Since
    May 2004
    Location
    Den Haag
    Posts
    6,038

    Earth Symbol Re: new ad for poltergeist stops menus working

    Quote Originally Posted by NightWing
    ok i'm confused so does gateworld get money just for the ads sitting on the site or do you have to click on them to get money or if you buy the product that there are selling in the ad

    how does the revenue syetem work
    GateWorld get money everytime an add loads, and even more more money when someone actually clicks on an add. So, yes, even having the ads sit atop the page generates revenue for the site. Adblock and the like completely severs that financial source. My opinion as a *person* (rather than as a mod) is that disabling those ads is tantamount to stealing (from?) GateWorld.

    If you really love GateWorld, you should consider occasionally clicking on an ad just to give the site a nice financial boost...even if it's just once a week, if everyone did that, GW would never have a funds problem.
    Quote Originally Posted by Agent_Dark
    Again, don't take this the wrong way, but if you decide to go with intrusive and annoying ads then you'll have to expect people will take measures to block them.
    Like Skydiver said, GW doesn't choose the ads, but even if we did, should you feel justified in stealing something because you no longer like the price?

  11. #51
    Ruffler Extraordinaire dipsofjazz's Avatar
    Member Since
    May 2004
    Location
    Edinburgh, Scotland
    Posts
    105,642

    Sam Re: new ad for poltergeist stops menus working

    Quote Originally Posted by Major Tyler
    GateWorld get money everytime an add loads, and even more more money when someone actually clicks on an add. So, yes, even having the ads sit atop the page generates revenue for the site. Adblock and the like completely severs that financial source. My opinion as a *person* (rather than as a mod) is that disabling those ads is tantamount to stealing (from?) GateWorld.

    If you really love GateWorld, you should consider occasionally clicking on an ad just to give the site a nice financial boost...even if it's just once a week, if everyone did that, GW would never have a funds problem.
    I don't mind the static ads, but the ad we were having problems with was stopping us from using the forum. I couldn't use any of the links at the top of the page.
    <a href=http://smg.photobucket.com/user/dipsofjazz/media/sig%20pics/77ab48d9-1023-48cf-8782-b3dadf52b3fe.jpg.html target=_blank><a href=http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v491/dipsofjazz/sig%20pics/77ab48d9-1023-48cf-8782-b3dadf52b3fe.jpg target=_blank>http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v4...dadf52b3fe.jpg</a></a>

  12. #52
    Major xfkirsten's Avatar
    Member Since
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Issaquah, WA
    Posts
    2,514

    Default Re: new ad for poltergeist stops menus working

    Can I make a suggestion here that is a happy medium?

    If you're only using adblocker (not the updater), you can set it to block just that ad. When a page with that ad comes up, go to Tools>AdBlock>List All Blockable Elements. It should pop up a list of all the files referenced on the page. Go to the "script" that comes from gorillanation, click it, then click okay. When you reload the page, that ad should be filtered out, but the others will remain.
    "Sometimes we reach what's realest by making believe..."
    My LiveJournal - My Photography - My Art

  13. #53
    Colonel Major Tyler's Avatar
    Member Since
    May 2004
    Location
    Den Haag
    Posts
    6,038

    Earth Symbol Re: new ad for poltergeist stops menus working

    Quote Originally Posted by xfkirsten
    Can I make a suggestion here that is a happy medium?

    If you're only using adblocker (not the updater), you can set it to block just that ad. When a page with that ad comes up, go to Tools>AdBlock>List All Blockable Elements. It should pop up a list of all the files referenced on the page. Go to the "script" that comes from gorillanation, click it, then click okay. When you reload the page, that ad should be filtered out, but the others will remain.
    That's cool. Also, I think that with AdBlock you can set it so that it will still allow the ad to load, but you just won't be able to see it. I'm not sure how to enable that, though.

  14. #54
    The First One Darren's Avatar
    Member Since
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Somewhere North of Here
    Posts
    6,360

    Default Re: new ad for poltergeist stops menus working

    Quote Originally Posted by ShadowMaat
    I don't suppose you could add that to the "filter these out" list, huh Darren?
    Unfortunately these Flash ads aren't on the list of those we can block or remove from rotation, as GateWorld was among the list of sites our advertising company originally pitched to the client. We've basically pre-agreed to run those ads, as opposed to the more generic (general, non-sf) ads like Western Union.

    The best we can do is report the problem to the agency and request that their developers experiment with the ad code in different browser environments to try and resolve the problem for a bigger segment of users.

    I don't blame people for using ad blockers or disabling Flash, and I certainly don't consider it stealing from the site any more than fast-forwarding through commercials on TiVo is stealing from the network or the TV studio.

    But for those who do consider GW a home and want to support it, it's very unhelpful. Consider, those of you who play here an hour or more every day, just how many page impressions you alone generate in a single month. I've done the math, and it's substantial.


    GateWorld Podcast - Info - iTunes - RSS
    The Stargate Omnipedia - www.StargateOmnipedia.com
    Stargate Image Gallery - www.StargateGallery.com

  15. #55
    Colonel Major Tyler's Avatar
    Member Since
    May 2004
    Location
    Den Haag
    Posts
    6,038

    Cool Re: new ad for poltergeist stops menus working

    Quote Originally Posted by Darren
    I don't blame people for using ad blockers or disabling Flash, and I certainly don't consider it stealing from the site any more than fast-forwarding through commercials on TiVo is stealing from the network or the TV studio.
    Well, the network doesn't get money by just having the commercial on the screen the same way you get money from ads loading, but point taken...I'll try to tone down my anti-AdBlock rhetoric.

  16. #56
    Major Eoin's Avatar
    Member Since
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Dreamland
    Posts
    2,559

    Default Re: new ad for poltergeist stops menus working

    Quote Originally Posted by Major Tyler
    If you really love GateWorld, you should consider occasionally clicking on an ad just to give the site a nice financial boost...even if it's just once a week, if everyone did that, GW would never have a funds problem.
    I could kill you atm.... FF just crashed on me cause i read your post and seen the above quote so i kept on opening ads in new tabs(cool that rhymns) I know now how to help GW live long
    And one more thing... Ive never seen flash ads on GW and i have my browsers flash player enabled
    The doctor told me Im insane, thank God! its so much better then being outsane!



  17. #57
    Colonel Major Tyler's Avatar
    Member Since
    May 2004
    Location
    Den Haag
    Posts
    6,038

    Default Re: new ad for poltergeist stops menus working

    Quote Originally Posted by Eoin
    I could kill you atm.... FF just crashed on me cause i read your post and seen the above quote so i kept on opening ads in new tabs(cool that rhymns) I know now how to help GW live long
    And one more thing... Ive never seen flash ads on GW and i have my browsers flash player enabled
    Uh oh... Sorry.

  18. #58
    Captain uknesvuinng's Avatar
    Member Since
    May 2004
    Location
    /home/uknesvuinng
    Posts
    1,504

    Default Re: new ad for poltergeist stops menus working

    Someone may have mentioned this already, but NoScript simply blocks javascript and plugins from servers unless explicitly allowed. Sans Adblock, this means that intrusive ads will be blocked while static ads and such will still show. I find this a nice compromise between the need of a site for revenue, and my desire to block intrusive ads.


    May advertisers one day be considerate. Unfortunately I don't think it'll happen anytime soon.
    Cogito ergo dubito.

    "How happy are the astrologers if they tell one truth to a hundred lies, while other people lose all credibility if they tell one lie to a hundred truths." - Francesco Guicciardini

    An escalator can never be broken, it can only become stairs. You never see "Escalator temporarily out of service." It's "Escalator temporarily stairs. Sorry for the convenience." - Mitch Hedberg

  19. #59
    Brigadier General LoneStar1836's Avatar
    Member Since
    May 2004
    Posts
    9,392

    Default Re: new ad for poltergeist stops menus working

    That damn ad is annoying. We just recently got a new computer because the other one finally crapped out after 5 years. (Thank the gods. I hated that rust bucket.) But I haven’t dl’ed the ad blocker extension for Firefox yet, like I did on that old PC. So right now I’m once again contributing pennies to GW....

    Instead of refreshing the page to get that evil thing to go away so I can log in, I just click on some other folder in the forum which will usually throw up a different ad and unblocking the login spot. The thing I really hate about it is that obviously the ad is dropping down and covering up the menus, but for some bizarre reason I can’t see the drop-down. It’s like it’s invisible. So I’m trying to click on the menus, but getting nadda results. *grrr*
    IMO always implied.

  20. #60
    Mr. Parker gatelover12's Avatar
    Member Since
    Nov 2004
    Location
    In the enlightened hive, ascending.
    Posts
    2,148

    Default Re: new ad for poltergeist stops menus working

    right click in the blocked area, then click settings and it will shade it for you.

Tags for this Thread

Similar Threads

  1. I'm looking from some oma desala quotes...please provide.
    By sharky277 in forum General Stargate Discussion
    Replies: 20
    Last Post: May 3rd, 2013, 01:28 AM
  2. Need help that only a Stargate Fan can provide!
    By Cynycal in forum General Sci-Fi and Fantasy
    Replies: 23
    Last Post: March 5th, 2008, 07:27 AM
  3. Problems With The News Articles At GateWorld
    By Gate Freak in forum GateWorld Features
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: November 30th, 2005, 12:26 PM
  4. "The Tower" New Details from Gateworld
    By TheWarrior in forum SGA General Discussion
    Replies: 58
    Last Post: August 6th, 2005, 08:23 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •