This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Why is Gateworld incomplete

Why is Gateworld, the Best source of infomation about stargate, and one of the biggest Stargate related Forum, why is it so incomplete.
    Episode guides should have the following
    On the left side
    • The Stargate Omnipeidia related charactors/ships/planets...
    • Follow the Story.
    • A list of images of the episode, each with a line of description

In the centre it should have
    • Episode Summary (This should be a MUST)
    • Analysis
    • Charactor Development
    • Notes
    • Unanswered questions
    • Production details (if there are any)

And mabey a reweiw or two, and a Transcript.

Season 1 has hardnly anything in the middle collum, apart form Children of the gods which doesnt have any discription of any pics, ot any Review or Transcript

Season 2 has everything apart from discription of any pics, or any Reviews or Transcripts, apart form Prisoners which doesnt have a summary

Season 3 has everything apart from discription of any pics, Season 3 does have some Reviews but no Transcripts. Half way through it looses its Omipeidia thing, which is replaced by a smaller thing between the description and the summary. Urgo doesnt even have this. Rules of Engagement doesnt have anything in the middle, no summary or anything.

Im to tired to go through the other 8 seasons (6 of SG1, 2 of Atlantis)

Also the Omnipeidia, it has an artical about everything, but the articals are never updated, so if a piece of tech is used again, it isnt put on there.

But the Gate World Forum has over 10,000 members, so surly we can update it. surly we can fill in the gaps.
    Hola

Hello

Originally posted by BC - 303
    Why is Gateworld, the Best source of infomation about stargate, and one of the biggest Stargate related Forum, why is it so incomplete.
    Episode guides should have the following
    On the left side
    • The Stargate Omnipeidia related charactors/ships/planets...
    • Follow the Story.
    • A list of images of the episode, each with a line of description
    In the centre it should have
    • Episode Summary (This should be a MUST)
    • Analysis
    • Charactor Development
    • Notes
    • Unanswered questions
    • Production details (if there are any)
    And mabey a reweiw or two, and a Transcript.

Season 1 has hardnly anything in the middle collum, apart form Children of the gods which doesnt have any discription of any pics, ot any Review or Transcript

Season 2 has everything apart from discription of any pics, or any Reviews or Transcripts, apart form Prisoners which doesnt have a summary

Season 3 has everything apart from discription of any pics, Season 3 does have some Reviews but no Transcripts. Half way through it looses its Omipeidia thing, which is replaced by a smaller thing between the description and the summary. Urgo doesnt even have this. Rules of Engagement doesnt have anything in the middle, no summary or anything.

Im to tired to go through the other 8 seasons (6 of SG1, 2 of Atlantis)

Also the Omnipeidia, it has an artical about everything, but the articals are never updated, so if a piece of tech is used again, it isnt put on there.

But the Gate World Forum has over 10,000 members, so surly we can update it. surly we can fill in the gaps.
    you feel better

david is doing all he can yes he gets help from member but he does have school and a life
    https://twitter.com/#!/Solar_wind84

Comment

Darren sometimes asks for folks to volunteer to submit/contribute to the site. Very few offer.

He does what he can, and even with all the perceived 'flaws', fan sites still have more and more complete info than many 'official' sites...ones that can afford to hire staff to work 40 hours a week compiling information

If the 'lacks' bother folks so much, volunteer to help fill them in
      Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

All im saying is Gateworld has 10,000 members, and thats alot of people. Surly one of them could write a summary or something, after all its alot of work keeping up with stargate as this is spoiler prime-time were spoilers come out about all the new episodes they are filming. Meaning there wouldnt be time to fill in all the gaps.
        Hola

Hello

Comment

Well you are wrong about one thing ! Gatewolrd has 19,653 members ! That is a bit more !
          Lord Zedd

Comment

Originally posted by _Anubis
            Well you are wrong about one thing ! Gatewolrd has 19,653 members ! That is a bit more !
            really? that's huge! well maybe not huge huge but still pretty stinkin impresive...

Comment

Originally posted by Skydiver
              Darren sometimes asks for folks to volunteer to submit/contribute to the site. Very few offer.

He does what he can, and even with all the perceived 'flaws', fan sites still have more and more complete info than many 'official' sites...ones that can afford to hire staff to work 40 hours a week compiling information

If the 'lacks' bother folks so much, volunteer to help fill them in
              I'd be willing to type articles for the Omnipedia. Talk it over with Darren and have him PM me.
              Last edited by freyr's mother; 01 June 2006, 09:15 AM.

Best Stargate quote:
              Sheppard: (yells to McKay) Canadian football is a joke! Celine Dion is overrated! Zelenka is smarter than you are!
              Green is your friend.

Comment

i'm not getting in the middle. no need to have extra folks involved.

If you're interested, pm him.
                Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by BC - 303

That's the reason.

We're actually working hard to fill in the holes, and many of them should be filled for GW 2.0 later this year. We have helpers working on summaries, and David keeps the Omnipedia immaculately up-to-date. Please send an e-mail via the Omnipedia's own contact form if you find something missing -- that's the best way to help.

We're currently in the position where extra help doesn't do us much good, since I hold the gate keys and must edit, approve, and publish everything. GW 2.0 comes with a back-end content management system (now in development, which is a big part of the reason site updates have slowed down), which changes all that.

Thanks!
                  GateWorld Podcast - Info - iTunes - Google
                  The Stargate Omnipedia - www.StargateOmnipedia.com
                  Stargate Image Gallery - www.StargateGallery.com

Comment

Ok, not like I'm sucking up to the Mods or anything but that's adorable. If I had one of those I wouldn't be spending so much time on my computer, that's for sure.
                    Last edited by Darren; 02 June 2006, 01:07 PM.
                    sigpic
                    "Ce qui ressemble a l'amour est toujours de l'amour." - Tristan Bernard

Comment

As every new episode airs we make a list of older Omnipedia entries that get updated. Perhaps the body doesn't always get a face lift but certainly the Key Episodes receive new input.

If a character dies or a planet gets abandoned or destroyed, I will typically rework the body to "bookend" it with some finality. This year the biggest job was for "Ethon." Insert that word into the Omni search engine and almost all of the pages that come up relating to the episode have been written to be closed permanently.

Minus interviews my summer efforts have remained undivided with GateWorld 2.0. It's the biggest project of my career. By far the hardest. Every episode will have the completed Omnipedia listings for that show. Everything currently on the site will be spilled into the new version, and then some. Much, MUCH then some. I will then get back to the Omnipedia and start updating older entries as I can.

Why don't we let everyone share the burden? Because there is a standard of quality to maintain in crosschecking material, verifying, re-verifying, etc. It's not as easy as it sounds, and I do not trust a person with no obligation to tinker with it. Not to mention, we're hoping for a book deal down the road, which would squash that hope.

I hope this offers some clarification.
                      Last edited by David; 03 June 2006, 08:01 PM.

Comment

Darren... with those eyes....you are forgiven anything ...Your little gatelet just gets MORE adorable every time I see him....

can I get an **awwwwwww*
                        Life is short, Forgive quickly, Kiss slowly, Love truly, Laugh uncontrollably, And live out loud with no regrets..

Comment

Originally posted by Darren

That's the reason.

We're actually working hard to fill in the holes, and many of them should be filled for GW 2.0 later this year. We have helpers working on summaries, and David keeps the Omnipedia immaculately up-to-date. Please send an e-mail via the Omnipedia's own contact form if you find something missing -- that's the best way to help.

We're currently in the position where extra help doesn't do us much good, since I hold the gate keys and must edit, approve, and publish everything. GW 2.0 comes with a back-end content management system (now in development, which is a big part of the reason site updates have slowed down), which changes all that.

Thanks!
                          Awwww thats really sweet, cute baby!
                          Even though there are still holes in Gateworld, i want you to know i really respect all you people giving your time for this website, getting all the latest news and spoilers even though you have your own personal life. Im really looking forward to GateWorld 2.0.
                          I mean you can tell what a sucsess you have, with all the interviews, and bloggers and even TPTB popping up to answer questions occasionaly.
                          Hola

Hello

Comment

Oh man! Your baby is so VERY cute! Those eyes....

I am so blessed! Cherriey made this cool sig; scarimor made this great Dr. Lee smilie and Spudster made another neat one Dr. Lee RULES!

Myn's fabulous twilight bark smilie:

Comment

So cute Darren.

Enjoy it while you can, because the next time you blink their asking for money, keys to the car and then their own car. But it's worthwhile, belive me.

Comment

Working...
                              X