Page 15 of 15 FirstFirst ... 512131415
Results 281 to 300 of 300
  1. #281
    Second Lieutenant Who Knows's Avatar
    Member Since
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    355

    Default Re: Lost City, Part 2 (722)

    12:26

  2. #282
    Harvey jelgate's Avatar
    Member Since
    Nov 2007
    Location
    The Beach of naked Sebeceans and margarita shooter
    Posts
    35,071

    Default Re: Lost City, Part 2 (722)

    I hate this episode. Just terrible. Oh, look an angry mob.

    Kidding aside, of course I like this episode. I think the reason it works is how beautifully its able to get both character interaction and action. Battle of Antarctica is one of my favorite scenes. If their is a compliant, its the Brs'tac betrayal unnesacarry and it seems like we retcon that the Ancient device gives you Ancient abilities.
    Really an excellent with 7:23
    Quote Originally Posted by aretood2 View Post
    Jelgate is right

  3. #283
    General Falcon Horus's Avatar
    Member Since
    May 2004
    Location
    Kate Heightmeyer's office or thereabouts...
    Posts
    33,977

    Default Re: Lost City, Part 2 (722)

    Quote Originally Posted by jelgate View Post
    If their is a compliant, its the Brs'tac betrayal unnesacarry...
    I was yelling "TRAP!" when Ronin offered his ship so readily, but Teal'c and Bra'tac wouldn't listen.

    Quote Originally Posted by jelgate View Post
    ...and it seems like we retcon that the Ancient device gives you Ancient abilities.
    With the Ancient knowledge comes great power?
    The Tale of Heightmeyer's Lemming by Falcon Horus

    icon courtsey by planet_tv || signature by Falcon Horus || The Michael J. Fox Foundation for Parkinson's Research || Pharaoh Hamenthotep @ Patreon
    Proper Stargate Rewatch still happening right now -- season 6 of SG-1

  4. #284
    Major
    Member Since
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Mapleleaf
    Posts
    2,026

    Default Re: Lost City, Part 2 (722)

    My friend and I joke that you can tell Ronin is evil because he speaks so softly.

    Seaboe
    If you're going to allow yourself to be offended by a cat, you might as well just pack it in -- Steven Brust

  5. #285
    General Falcon Horus's Avatar
    Member Since
    May 2004
    Location
    Kate Heightmeyer's office or thereabouts...
    Posts
    33,977

    Default Re: Lost City, Part 2 (722)

    Quote Originally Posted by Seaboe Muffinchucker View Post
    My friend and I joke that you can tell Ronin is evil because he speaks so softly.
    See... that just screams "TRAP!"
    The Tale of Heightmeyer's Lemming by Falcon Horus

    icon courtsey by planet_tv || signature by Falcon Horus || The Michael J. Fox Foundation for Parkinson's Research || Pharaoh Hamenthotep @ Patreon
    Proper Stargate Rewatch still happening right now -- season 6 of SG-1

  6. #286
    General Falcon Horus's Avatar
    Member Since
    May 2004
    Location
    Kate Heightmeyer's office or thereabouts...
    Posts
    33,977

    Default Re: Lost City, Part 2 (722)

    And back to trailing behind -- 9:24.
    The Tale of Heightmeyer's Lemming by Falcon Horus

    icon courtsey by planet_tv || signature by Falcon Horus || The Michael J. Fox Foundation for Parkinson's Research || Pharaoh Hamenthotep @ Patreon
    Proper Stargate Rewatch still happening right now -- season 6 of SG-1

  7. #287
    Probie
    Member Since
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    3

    Default Re: Lost City, Part 2 (722)

    So only question about this: Ancient outpost but where is it in relation to where they found the gate back in Season 1 and the woman from Season 6? Different part of the continent? or just another continuity error that springs up, which is odd considering the writers wrote both this episode and Frozen in Season 6

  8. #288
    General Falcon Horus's Avatar
    Member Since
    May 2004
    Location
    Kate Heightmeyer's office or thereabouts...
    Posts
    33,977

    Default Re: Lost City, Part 2 (722)

    Quote Originally Posted by Hollywood0408 View Post
    So only question about this: Ancient outpost but where is it in relation to where they found the gate back in Season 1 and the woman from Season 6? Different part of the continent? or just another continuity error that springs up, which is odd considering the writers wrote both this episode and Frozen in Season 6
    We don't actually know how big the area is where the gate or the outpost was found.

    Atlantis is a pretty big city ship sbut it stands to reason that if it sits on land, it expands into buildings build on land, separate from the ship.

    Or they never really thought about keeping track of where they put everything relatively from each other when they wrote those episodes. Small oversight. Who's gonna notice? Oh wait, we do...
    The Tale of Heightmeyer's Lemming by Falcon Horus

    icon courtsey by planet_tv || signature by Falcon Horus || The Michael J. Fox Foundation for Parkinson's Research || Pharaoh Hamenthotep @ Patreon
    Proper Stargate Rewatch still happening right now -- season 6 of SG-1

  9. #289
    Major
    Member Since
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Mapleleaf
    Posts
    2,026

    Default Re: Lost City, Part 2 (722)

    Also, when Atlantis left, people stayed behind. So clearly there was someplace outside the city for them to live. We know it had a Stargate from Solitudes, and we know from Frozen that they found at least one Jaffa before they found the-woman-whose-name-I-can't-remember.

    I'm not sure why you think there was a continuity error. I can't think of any direct contradictions between Solitudes, Frozen and Lost City. Not that there aren't any, just that I can't remember them.

    Seaboe
    If you're going to allow yourself to be offended by a cat, you might as well just pack it in -- Steven Brust

  10. #290
    General Falcon Horus's Avatar
    Member Since
    May 2004
    Location
    Kate Heightmeyer's office or thereabouts...
    Posts
    33,977

    Default Re: Lost City, Part 2 (722)

    Quote Originally Posted by Seaboe Muffinchucker View Post
    ...we know from Frozen that they found at least one Jaffa before they found the-woman-whose-name-I-can't-remember.

    Ayana

    Spelling could be off but that's the name you're looking for.
    The Tale of Heightmeyer's Lemming by Falcon Horus

    icon courtsey by planet_tv || signature by Falcon Horus || The Michael J. Fox Foundation for Parkinson's Research || Pharaoh Hamenthotep @ Patreon
    Proper Stargate Rewatch still happening right now -- season 6 of SG-1

  11. #291
    Major
    Member Since
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Mapleleaf
    Posts
    2,026

    Default Re: Lost City, Part 2 (722)

    Thanks.
    If you're going to allow yourself to be offended by a cat, you might as well just pack it in -- Steven Brust

  12. #292
    Captain Xaeden's Avatar
    Member Since
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    1,197

    Default Re: Lost City, Part 2 (722)

    Like Goa'uld motherships, Ancient city ships appear to be designed to need the help of a landing platform to land on solid ground. There's a large gap under the main tower that fits over a structure we saw when the city left Earth in a flashback during "Rising." You can see it here around the 35 second mark: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3z03h5mPxHk In all likelihood that's a part of the outpost that didn't survive the ravages of time. If so, that means the outpost and city are together.

    As to where the Stargate was in relationship to one of them, I do not recall there being a reference to that, but the city in "The Tower" serves as a model for what might have been standard. There the gate is also located outside of the city, but it's within walking distance.

  13. #293
    Probie
    Member Since
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    3

    Default Re: Lost City, Part 2 (722)

    I say continuity because not really sure what to call it, because during Frozen Season 6, it has the glass dome over the area where Ayana, the Jaffa, and the gate and DHD were found. Then Lost City Part 2 this Ancient weapons platform no where close to it because you see Prometheus fly over large parts of ice and snow and no sign of any research area. I mean you would think the chair and gate would be close and Ayana would be near that.Just one of those small things I have noticed after watching the Series through for about the 100th time. Think it could be like what was said earlier, time things moved around.

  14. #294
    Captain Xaeden's Avatar
    Member Since
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    1,197

    Default Re: Lost City, Part 2 (722)

    Quote Originally Posted by Hollywood0408 View Post
    I say continuity because not really sure what to call it, because during Frozen Season 6, it has the glass dome over the area where Ayana, the Jaffa, and the gate and DHD were found. Then Lost City Part 2 this Ancient weapons platform no where close to it because you see Prometheus fly over large parts of ice and snow and no sign of any research area. I mean you would think the chair and gate would be close and Ayana would be near that.Just one of those small things I have noticed after watching the Series through for about the 100th time. Think it could be like what was said earlier, time things moved around.
    We saw mountains in the background of all the shots during the battle, so it's possible that the Stargate had to be placed on the other side of (or atop) one of them because we were looking at a closed valley that Atlantis filled, leaving no space for the Stargate.

    In the Atlantis pilot, we are shown a jumper flying across an icy ridge (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3z03h5mPxHk). If you pause at the 12 second mark, you will see the jumper come to the ridge's edge and see Atlantis in a valley below it. It's unlikely the jumper was coming from a ship in orbit since it was flying along the surface for a bit, and unless there's another Ancient facility on the continent, its most likely source was the Stargate. If it was indeed coming from the direction of the Stargate, you wouldn't have been able to see the White Rock Research Station during the Battle of Antarctica.

    That would make it a little harder to get to on foot than the city in "The Tower" was, but Atlantis and Earth's gate could still be relatively close to one another.

  15. #295
    General Falcon Horus's Avatar
    Member Since
    May 2004
    Location
    Kate Heightmeyer's office or thereabouts...
    Posts
    33,977

    Default Re: Lost City, Part 2 (722)

    Maybe we should attempt a topographic map of Antarctica...
    The Tale of Heightmeyer's Lemming by Falcon Horus

    icon courtsey by planet_tv || signature by Falcon Horus || The Michael J. Fox Foundation for Parkinson's Research || Pharaoh Hamenthotep @ Patreon
    Proper Stargate Rewatch still happening right now -- season 6 of SG-1

  16. #296
    Major
    Member Since
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Mapleleaf
    Posts
    2,026

    Default Re: Lost City, Part 2 (722)

    Antarctica as portrayed in Atlantis, you mean? The real one has plenty of topo maps.

    Seaboe
    If you're going to allow yourself to be offended by a cat, you might as well just pack it in -- Steven Brust

  17. #297
    General Falcon Horus's Avatar
    Member Since
    May 2004
    Location
    Kate Heightmeyer's office or thereabouts...
    Posts
    33,977

    Default Re: Lost City, Part 2 (722)

    Quote Originally Posted by Seaboe Muffinchucker View Post
    Antarctica as portrayed in Atlantis, you mean? The real one has plenty of topo maps.
    Maybe a comparison of what was moved where to make room for Atlantis.
    The Tale of Heightmeyer's Lemming by Falcon Horus

    icon courtsey by planet_tv || signature by Falcon Horus || The Michael J. Fox Foundation for Parkinson's Research || Pharaoh Hamenthotep @ Patreon
    Proper Stargate Rewatch still happening right now -- season 6 of SG-1

  18. #298
    Probie
    Member Since
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    3

    Default Re: Lost City, Part 2 (722)

    All good points. Not sure on the gates though. The Earth gate and Atlantis gate are one and the same. Think they made the transition once the Ancients arrived in Pegasus and began to seed the galaxy with gates. Unless the were already there, but the seed ships shown in Universe with Gates on them were different, could just be the materials used, so that why they are different. Which also explains the line, where they talk about In Universe those Gates being less than those in the Milky Way and Pegasus.

  19. #299
    Major
    Member Since
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Mapleleaf
    Posts
    2,026

    Default Re: Lost City, Part 2 (722)

    I think you're wrong about the Atlantis gate and the Earth gate being the same one. I think when they decided to leave Earth, they created a new gate to leave behind. Or (more likely, given advances in technology), they created a new gate for the city, and left the old one behind.

    I also always keep in mind that this is a TV show, and that the writers aren't as interested in these details as the fans are.

    Seaboe
    If you're going to allow yourself to be offended by a cat, you might as well just pack it in -- Steven Brust

  20. #300
    Captain Xaeden's Avatar
    Member Since
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    1,197

    Default Re: Lost City, Part 2 (722)

    In the pilot of SGU, we saw an animation of the Destiny's trajectory after launch and the first galaxy it went to after leaving the Milky Way was the Pegasus galaxy. Whether those gates were still around by the time Atlantis arrived is unclear. Milky Way gates are nigh indestructible, so it makes sense that they'd still be around. Conversely, the SGU gates can be destroyed by simple weapons fire, so it's reasonable that a planet's weather would eventually wipe all evidence of them ever being there. This may mean that they weren't in play when Atlantis arrived and that, in fact, most Destiny seeded gates are long gone.

    In any case, the DHD attached to the Beta gate in Antarctica was dated at ~50 million years old (don't ask me how DHDs can be that old given that they're not indestructible). As it and its gate predates Atlantis' departure from Earth, I don't think there's any reason to believe that Atlantis had a gate in the city while it was on Earth that it took with it to Pegasus and then ditched when it made the new gate system. Also, it would've been harder to avoid becoming infected with the plague if the gate was in the city as then traffic to and from Atlantis would've been direct and immediate.

    As to Seaboe Muffinchucker's comment, it seems strange to me that they would make a new gate to leave behind when, if they're making gates before leaving, they could just make a new gate to take with them. Also, the DHD's point of origin matches that gate and, as mentioned, the DHD is 50 million years old.

    With the plague still active in the Milky Way when they left and the possibility that the seed ship gates were long gone by the time they arrived in the Pegasus galaxy, having a gate when they first landed may not been useful or even desired.
    Last edited by Xaeden; January 16th, 2020 at 06:03 AM.

Similar Threads

  1. The Tok'ra, Part 1 (211)
    By GateWorld in forum Season Two
    Replies: 146
    Last Post: August 26th, 2019, 08:54 AM
  2. Lost City, Part 1 (721)
    By GateWorld in forum Season Seven
    Replies: 94
    Last Post: August 23rd, 2019, 07:38 AM
  3. Evolution, Part 1 (711)
    By GateWorld in forum Season Seven
    Replies: 78
    Last Post: August 21st, 2019, 02:46 PM
  4. The Tok'ra, Part 2 (212)
    By GateWorld in forum Season Two
    Replies: 161
    Last Post: April 17th, 2019, 04:41 AM
  5. Redemption, Part 2 (602)
    By GateWorld in forum Season Six
    Replies: 124
    Last Post: October 28th, 2018, 03:04 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •