• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Less Wraith in season 3 Thoughts!

from syfy Portal.com

Sorry if this is a tee bit old news.

'Atlantis' To Be Less 'Wraith-Centered'
    New Major Villain Will Vex Stargate Cast

(May 19 2006) - The upcoming third season of "Stargate Atlantis" will be less focused on the Wraith, the deadly villains set up in the first two seasons of the SciFi Channel series, writer Martin Gero told Gateworld.
    "The Wraith are a presence in the galaxy, undeniably, but ... You know, it's interesting. Season One, we were just trying to get our feet beneath us and trying to figure out what kind of stories and what kinds of episodes we wanted to do," he said. "Season Two, for me, for the most part, felt like bigger, better, more confident Season One episodes."

"Season Three feels like, finally, we're doing some really fresh and interesting stuff. Part of the way that we've been able to do that is move away from Wraith stories," Gero said, "and we're doing much more stand-alone episodes, as well as introducing a new major villain this year."

The third season will include two episodes "that are back to back that deal with this new villain, and the second one does it in a really awesome way," Gero said.

New episodes of "Stargate Atlantis" will begin airing on the SciFi Channel on Friday, July 14. - Article by Scott Nance

Does anyone but me have a problem with this? 3 seasons in and we just throw out the enemy for a new one. Sounds to me that the writers have run out of new ideas and just going to redo the Replicators stories.

Whats next we move away from dealing with the Ancients too?

I feel there is more to be done with the Wraith.
    LETS GO PEN'S

No I actually think this is a smart move. The Wraith storyline isn't limitless so dealing with more indirectly than having more episodes devoted to dealing with them ensures that you can have more interesting stories with them far into the future. The more you see of the enemey, the less scary they are, I think the Wraith are actually more effective as a villain when we see the devastation they cause the Pegasus inhabitants. Also, the few spoilers I have seen show that they plan to follow through with the Wraith plot from season two into season three. Season three's focus is getting to know the characters which is the best thing to do, also there is suppose to be more of a focus on the Ancients.

Comment

Originally posted by Shonaille
      No I actually think this is a smart move. The Wraith storyline isn't limitless so dealing with more indirectly than having more episodes devoted to dealing with them ensures that you can have more interesting stories with them far into the future. The more you see of the enemey, the less scary they are, I think the Wraith are actually more effective as a villain when we see the devastation they cause the Pegasus inhabitants. Also, the few spoilers I have seen show that they plan to follow through with the Wraith plot from season two into season three. Season three's focus is getting to know the characters which is the best thing to do, also there is suppose to be more of a focus on the Ancients.

Well ive stayed away from spoilers , well mostly anyway , i just get from what i read is the writers have no clue to where to take the Wraith and instead go create this new enemy. And im not too keen on stand alone episodes either.

But i guess we will find out.
      LETS GO PEN'S

Comment

This enemy was hinted at in the first season, so it's not like this is anything new.
        I'm not an actor. I just play one on TV.

Comment

Originally posted by glennh73
          Well ive stayed away from spoilers , well mostly anyway , i just get from what i read is the writers have no clue to where to take the Wraith and instead go create this new enemy. And im not too keen on stand alone episodes either.
          I think stand alone episodes would be good as long as it isn't just Shepherd getting lucky with yet another alien woman. I mean SG-1 had some really good episodes that had nothing to do with the Goa'uld. Also I think it is about time to introduce a new bad guy. The Wraith are great and all but they need to last a couple more seasons so it's a good idea to give them a break. I dont really think it's too early either, if I remember correctly the replicators were aslo introduced in Season 3 of SG-1. Plus IMO the show really needs some "fresh and interesting stuff". Heres to hoping TPTB pull it off well.

Comment

its not like there completly getting rid of the wraith in favour for a new enemy.

the wraith will still paly a part just not in every episodes, which imho is a good thing.

nothing wrong with adding an extra vilian, it worked for SG-1

Comment

I do not think they will completly get rid of the wraith, they are far from be defeated.

I think that having more stand alone epidsodes is good as this will allow the writers to explore the characters a bit and give a bit depth. I also think standalone episodes also allow you to set up future plot stories and plot lines, something atlantis have not have much of.

I think one of the problems with the wraith is that have no single character or a wraith we have got to no yet, so I think it good that from spoilers micheal will get to lived and we get learn more about him and may through him they can learn more about the wraith.

I hope the ansurans do not turn in to replicators mark and have something different with them.

One thing I would to see is more episodes base on atlantis and around the expedition team as a whole.

Comment

Yeh its true the Asurans was hinted at from the first season in 'Hot Zone', so its gud they'll be coming bak on that.

And again I agree with Shonaille, the Wraith story lines are not limitless seeing as that there are so many of them. The new enemy seem very powerful and i think its better if there is more of the Asurans and less of the Wraith
                I HATE SY-FY

Comment

I think the wraith had a lot of potential, so I'm not ready to see them go yet. I have a feeling the new bigger badder enemies are an attempt to raise ratings. As long as they don't try to increase ratings by adding even more scantily clad aliens for Sheppard hook-up with, I'll be happy.

Comment

Season 3 being less Wraith centered might be a good thing, for reasons mentioned before. So i have no problem with the introduction of a new enemy. Also it is good that there will be more stand alone episodes, they are an opportunity for bringing more depth to the SGA universe. More character development is always a good thing, it was somewhat lacking in the first and second season. I'm looking forward to learning more about the characters. The introduction of a recurring Wraith character would also make a positive contribution the show.
                    sigpic

Comment

As long as they are "still there" it'll be good. They can't always be battling Atlantis, they got mouths to feed. lol

Comment

Originally posted by somme
                        As long as they are "still there" it'll be good. They can't always be battling Atlantis, they got mouths to feed. lol
                        Thats true!!!
                        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Shonaille
                          I wholeheartedly agree with this statement. Not to mention also that
                          Spoiler:
                          S2 was all about Wraith development.
                          Click statement above to read article.

Comment

And the enemy of our enemy is our friend potential is there as well.
                            I'm not an actor. I just play one on TV.

Comment

Originally posted by somme
                              Indeed! I seriously doubt TPTB are "replacing" the Wraith. They're just choosing to split time between a new foe and some more stand-alone eps this season. I have no problem with that. Believe me, I'm sure that the Wraith will get their fair share of screentime this season. Besides, this may be a good chance for SGA to really grow even more as it's own series.
                              sigpic
                              MS - "Boy, wow that's a great question!"
                              "...phu...ah..."
                              "Anyone know what SENTIENT means???"
                              Sunday is my favorite day for two reasons - Football and The Walking Dead

Comment

Working...
                              X