This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

scientific basis?

alright i'm comparing Stargate and Battlestar Galactica's hyper drives.

I can see the scientific basis for SG's hyperspace drive.
    It has long been theorized that gravity lensing effect may distort our space time and possible open up window to another dimension or w/e. so I think SG's subspace travel has some scientific background.

But,
    BSG's Faster Than Light drive... how does that work anyway?
    shrinking the matter and transporting? I don't get it...

LASTLY,
    which one's faster? hyperdrive or FTL?

BSG uses space folding, which is possible according to Albert Einstein.

SG's FTL drive isn't.
    I'm from Iowa, United States

Comment

Personally I think the BSG FTL seems a bit off. I mean you just jump instantaneously from one point to another. But I know nothing of Physics so I could be wrong and it could make perfect sense. Just saying intuitively it's a bit off though IMO.

Comment

Originally posted by wowser147
        LASTLY,
        which one's faster? hyperdrive or FTL?
        Using a hyperdrive is a method of FTL(Faster than light travel). I don't watch Battlestar Galactica, so i don't know about their method of ftl. But the workings of sg-1's hyperdrive and most other science fiction hyperdrives (such as Star Wars) are very loosely based on the Heim Theory which uses electromagnetic fields to change gravity enough to send an object to a dimension in which the speed of light is faster, and thus the ship is able to travel faster.

Comment

IMO bsg wasnt explained, (but neither was SG's) but the hyperdrive is easier for me to understand.

BSG seems like they need to jump more to get to where they want if its far away, but it seems instantaneous. SG gives longer range but is slower.
          Their white flags are no match to our guns!!

Comment

Actually BSG's FTL theory was kinda explained by Omac in Enigma where Daniel asked him about the workings of that comm device. Though it wasn't based on the folding space theory, it was suggested by Daniel, where if you need to get to one point from another, all you need to do is shorten the distance between each end by folding space until both ends meet thus enabling instantaneous travel across vast distances.
            "Yo, you wanna join SG-1?"

sigpic

Comment

I've the pilot episode and the 1st and 2nd season but have yet to see it, is BG any good?
              I HATE SY-FY

Comment

Nothing can travel at the speed of light so a hyperspace engine in SG drops you into subspace where the speed of light is faster. This means we can travel faster than the speed of light in subspace regardless of the speed of light in our dimension.

http://www.savestargatesg-1.com
                Originally posted by Unnamed due to Risk of Offending person
                the processor of the gate thats what it is in plainsmen therm
                Strangest thing Iv read on the forum so far!

And those who are prideful and refuse to bow down, shall be laid low and made unto dust.

Proud member of the C.O.T.W.O.S.F.
                The Coalition Of Those Who Oppose Sci Fi (channel)

Comment

Originally posted by The Ori
                  I've the pilot episode and the 1st and 2nd season but have yet to see it, is BG any good?
                  Yes, but not as good as Stargate!!!
                  "Yo, you wanna join SG-1?"

sigpic

Comment

My opinion: The BSG ships really need Guild Navigators. (Dune ref.)

Comment

Originally posted by SG-1ssm
                      BSG uses space folding, which is possible according to Albert Einstein.

SG's FTL drive isn't.
                      When did they say that in battlestar????

I haven't really given galacticas ftl much thought but from the looks of it it might be similar to the way the stargate works but space folding is most likely a better way
                      I dunno what to put in here now..

Comment

Originally posted by The Ori
                        IS BSG good.....ummm... YES!!! it is a different type of Scifi than SG..BSG is more violent, gritty and depressing at times (humanity is nearly wipe out.)
                        Some of the episodes are not for the timid because they can be very bloddy and graphically violent...but the stories are very well written and you feel for the characters you feel their pain..

Comment

Originally posted by Puddle-Jumper
                          When did they say that in battlestar????
                          They don't have to say. It's much more of a "it fits the theory of space-folding better than SG's FTL Windows".

I'm inclined to agree that Galactia's FTL is quicker, but has a shorter distance travelled.. whereas Stargate's can get you farther, but it takes longer.

In a tactical situation though, I'd take Stargate's engines hands down. The reason being... think of every time that the ol' 75 had to sit there and "spin up the FTL drives" before they could jump. Usually by the time they jump, the enemy's on top of them, about to launch nukes.

THink of all the times when SG-1 was able to escape on ships because they could enter hyperspace before doom came upon them. NO spinning up the ftls... just a quick zip and they're off.

Comment

Well eventhough it takes longer to prepare the BSG FTL drive, it seems that you can't track a jump unless you actually have the ship bugged or know the cordinates of their destination. In Stargate you can simply follow a ship into hyperspace so the only way to escape is to be faster than the other ship or disable their hyperspace enginge before running.

Comment

Working...
                            X