This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The Ancient Gene (possible spoilers)

Sorry for the minor spoiler in the title for SG:A 1x01, but since the Ancient gene is mentioned in the first two minutes of the pilot episode, I trust it's not too serious a spoiler.

My real question involves spoilers for 1x03 ("Hide & Seek") and 1x04 ("38 Minutes")...

Aside from the obvious characters, who else on this expedition do you think already has the Ancient gene, has gotten it via the gene therapy, or will likely be getting the gene therapy?

We know Sheppard and Beckett have the gene naturally, while McKay has acquired it via gene therapy. In "38 Minutes", one of the other marines, Sgt. Markham, is shown piloting the puddle jumper. Could he also have gotten the gene therapy (or have the gene naturally) or can anyone operate the jumper once someone with the gene (like Sheppard) "unlocks" the controls?
    To Infinity And Beyond!

O'Neill: "Do we know this... shrub?"

as i reacall there is about 12-25 ppls who have the gene..but only Sheppard can use it naturally, others need training and parctice. McKay has indergone the gene theropy...and we apparently it worked...so now everyone who wants can probably get the gene.

Comment

I don't remember them specifiying how many had the gene, I just remember Weir saying they had everyone they could find with it.

As to the Gene Therapy, I would guess that they wouldn't just do wholesale splicing. Beckett said something to McKay about being the first human test subject, so He probably had 2-3 voluneers that are trying it out and if there are no side effects in the next few months, I could see them giving it to more people.
      It's beer o'clock. Now where the HELL is my riot !?!

Comment

and do you need the gene to work the ships? I thought you could do it the old way but for all the cool stuff you needed the gene.
        "I've been called ugly, pug-ugly, fugly, pug-fugly, but never ugly-ugly." --- Moe Szyslak

Comment

Originally posted by airdish
          and do you need the gene to work the ships? I thought you could do it the old way but for all the cool stuff you needed the gene.
          I think anything that can be done by thinking can be done manually as well.
          Rocky

Comment

Originally posted by rocket4477
            I think anything that can be done by thinking can be done manually as well.
            I'm not sure. It looked as if the only way Sheppard could do anything was by thought, hence why Ford didn't take the controls.

SHEPPARD: Tell you what lieutenant…there's not a fighter pilot that'll teach you how to fly this thing…It's like it reads your mind.

Comment

For McKay and others who have the gene therapy, is it permanent?

Comment

Originally posted by Lugal
                For McKay and others who have the gene therapy, is it permanent?
                We don't know yet, but I think so.
                Rocky

Comment

I don't like how they can just use gene therapy to get around that problem. What was the point of introducing the gene sub plot in the first place? In my opinion, it created a nice bit of tension between Beckett and McKay. Maybe the question of if it's permenant is the writers "out" if they need to drop that storyline?
                  "I'm thinking of nice turkey sandwich..."

Comment

Originally posted by Positively Kanyon
                    I don't like how they can just use gene therapy to get around that problem. What was the point of introducing the gene sub plot in the first place? In my opinion, it created a nice bit of tension between Beckett and McKay. Maybe the question of if it's permenant is the writers "out" if they need to drop that storyline?
                    Maybe the point of introducing was to keep the Wraith from being able to use Ancient tech.
                    Rocky

Comment

Originally posted by rocket4477
                      Maybe the point of introducing was to keep the Wraith from being able to use Ancient tech.
                      Well obviously the technology would be designed to be only used by Ancients and Humans with the gene, and not the Wraith. The point I'm trying to make here is that the writers set up a subplot of that only certain people with the gene can use Ancient technology, but in the next episode that plot point was resolved with the "let's use gene therapy so everyone can use the tech" answer.

This brings up an issue that bother me. It cheapens the fact that Sheppard can use Ancient technology like a natural. Writers could create a bit more tension in tight situations where Sheppard is needed to use Ancient tech, but he's not around. A situation like that arises and somebody puts there hand up and says "Oh, I've had gene therapy, I can use the Ancient machine/gun/gelati cooler" sort of takes out the whole excitement away from the scene.
                      "I'm thinking of nice turkey sandwich..."

Comment

Originally posted by Positively Kanyon
                        Well obviously the technology would be designed to be only used by Ancients and Humans with the gene, and not the Wraith. The point I'm trying to make here is that the writers set up a subplot of that only certain people with the gene can use Ancient technology, but in the next episode that plot point was resolved with the "let's use gene therapy so everyone can use the tech" answer.

This brings up an issue that bother me. It cheapens the fact that Sheppard can use Ancient technology like a natural. Writers could create a bit more tension in tight situations where Sheppard is needed to use Ancient tech, but he's not around. A situation like that arises and somebody puts there hand up and says "Oh, I've had gene therapy, I can use the Ancient machine/gun/gelati cooler" sort of takes out the whole excitement away from the scene.
                        Maybe the gene therapy won't work on everyone, like we currently think.
                        Rocky

Comment

Well it may not work for some people and it may coem natural to others who had gene therapy, like it seems mckay could control it atleast subconsouicly.

In anycase its prolly given to over half the crew so everyone who has an important roel will get it just incase but some will work it better than others. honestly, once htey fidn and Ancient firstaid kit, id stay away from Dr. Beckett.
                          http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iGgHAXalVyM

"And those who are prideful and refuse to bow down shall be laid low and made onto dust." Then Shall Fall Scifi!

If you don't worship Metonic... your parents won't love you anymore.. well they dont now...

Comment

Or even better! It could backfire!

"McKay: Look at me! I found this cool.....? Whats happening? Get this off me!"
                            - Mr. Fixit -
                            - http://www.uogateway.com -

Comment

Originally posted by Mr_Fixit
                              Or even better! It could backfire!

"McKay: Look at me! I found this cool.....? Whats happening? Get this off me!"
                              I thought it did.
                              Rocky

Comment

Working...
                              X