No announcement yet.

Resurrection (719)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The best part of this episode is AT's camera work, especially the long, opening crane shot. 102 seconds of nearly continuous conversation as the characters walk through the set.

Comment

Thought it was an ok episode. An interesting enough addition to the hybrid Goa'uld/experiment storyline. Liked the scenes with Teal'c and Dr. Lee. Daniel's interactions with Anna reminded me a bit of those with Reese in Menace.

Just watched an interview with Michael Shanks and he talked about 'writing' the episode. Guess it was the last in a long line of rejected pitches. He wrote an outline and dialogue and turned it in, and what came back was a completely different script with his name on it. Amanda Tapping kept asking him about various elements and he didn't have a clue about most of them. So there you go...'written by' doesn't necessarily mean penned word for word
      Last edited by Late2theGate; 11 May 2014, 10:44 AM.

Comment

No, not my ep.
        Scientists can be so annoying, unreliable and bad!
        The girl can't be blamed for anything - poor baby.
        Jackson can't save her - poor boy.
        Example for misuse of scientific research.
        CARPE DIEM
        ANJA

Comment

Originally posted by hart37 View Post
          Am I the only one that wonders why they didn't hand over the research to the Tok'ra? Would be a good way to save the Tok'ra race if perfected, which knowing them would probably be likely.

The Cliches were annoying though, but then the Russian stereotypes in earlier episodes are annoying too.
          Russian?

Originally posted by hedwig View Post
          Once again, Daniel's stellar abilities at showing his lack of common sense is on display here, when he gives a disturbed girl in a glass cage, in which there are piles of paper ... a lit candle! I felt like slapping Daniel for his stupidity (and MS for writing him that way). Daniel has learned nothing from his 5+ years dealing with unusual situations and disturbed people if he thinks this is an okay thing to do.

And then, once she's gotten herself out of her glass cage, how does she incapacitate (apparently without weapons) Daniel and whoever else came running with fire extinguishers?

And Dr. Bad Guy. He reminded me of some evil villain out of movies from 50 years ago. He should have had a handlebar mustache and been twirling the ends of it, and laughing maniacally.

I think Amanda did quite a good job of directing this episode, with the material available to her. I don't see why she had to share her big directing debut with Michael, though. It doesn't seem quite fair.

As for MS's writing abilities, I'd give this attempt a "D".
          To be fair, from the in-universe perspective the "Anna" personality wasn't dangerous. And aren't Goa'uld and Jaffa stronger than humans because of the "snake"? I assumed that Anna was able to overcome her victims because the "snake" DNA made her at least a little stronger than humans.

What I think was silly was that Daniel used the imagery of great power and godhood when guiding her in the meditation. I'm no Goa'uld expert but even I wouldn't be surprised that the evil personality reared it's head. That N.I.D. agent watching Keffler was the worst guard ever - he was practically on the doctor's back, how did he expect to be able to pull his gun?

I really liked this episode. Yes, Kefler was a bit "mawhawhaw" - nothing new for SG-1 as O'Neill is fond of pointing out - but he was sufficiently real world slimy to rise above the Goa'uld villains. His escape was could have been more imaginative.

I didn't take notice of the opening credits but it was in the back of my mind that there was something different about the episode. The shot of Jackson's eye made me realise it was the directing (and only then realise that the other element was that the camera was moving a lot more than usual for SG-1) - and I knew it was someone new to the job on this show. Very surprised and happy to see it was Tapping. While it was nothing of great note in the area of directing in general, it was fine work for a first timer and far superior to the usual static camera of the series. The "eye shot" was great.

And a good story from Shanks. Was it his first? Nice to human evil doers for a change. One thing though - at Jackson says she isn't Goa'uld which I took to mean that Anna was in control and simply used the "evil voice" to throw Daniel off balance so she could get to Keffler. So why was she using the "evil voice" when alone with Keffler? Or was it that Anna and Sekhmet were not really two distinct personalities, but all the time there was only Anna?

Is this the first episode without O"Neill? Where was Anderson during this?

Also, the placement of this episode so soon after Chimera further highlights the woeful miscasting and atrocious lack of chemistry with De Luise as Carter's boyfriend. If Carter started a relationship with Barrett in the aftermath of this episode it would be believable.
          Last edited by I Am Not James Spader; 01 October 2015, 09:04 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Anja View Post
            No, not my ep.
            Scientists can be so annoying, unreliable and bad!
            The girl can't be blamed for anything - poor baby.
            Jackson can't save her - poor boy.
            Example for misuse of scientific research.

Again, like "Enemy Mine", this what science fiction is all about.

Comment

No, not all!!! Sci-fi can be nice, but often enough something goes terribly wrong.
              CARPE DIEM
              ANJA

Comment

No, not all!!! Sci-fi can be nice, but often enough something goes terribly wrong.
                Nice?

Comment

Nice, yes:
                  spaceships, beamer, stargate, reanimation, make yourself invisible, time traveling...
                  CARPE DIEM
                  ANJA

Comment

Nice, yes:
                    spaceships, beamer, stargate, reanimation, make yourself invisible, time traveling...
                    Yes, but something has to wrong.

There isn't much of a story in everyone having a nice time.

Comment

Originally posted by I Am Not James Spader View Post
                      Is this the first episode without O"Neill?
                      No, the first episode without O'Neill was Nightwalkers.

Seaboe
                      If you're going to allow yourself to be offended by a cat, you might as well just pack it in -- Steven Brust

Comment

It looks that I am not the only one who sees some similarity with Alien: Resurrection. Not only this combination of a human with Goa'uld in one body, but the character of Keffler was very similar to doctor Wren from this movie.

I can not say that this is one of my favourite episodes, there is a lot of cliches and plot holes (a candle in the cell, the bomb which was used as the threat from the Goa'uld (would not Sehmet died in the explosion as well?) for gaining the control of the body).

I like continuity shown in this episode, but I like the scenes of Teal'c with doctor Lee there the most. Especially the attempt of Lee about high five with Teal'c which was not understood by our Jaffa.

Comment

It's a pretty solid episode and I love Amanda's directing skills even though it's very clear they didn't leave her to her own device in directing. She's got an exquisite style that I didn't see throughout the entire episode.

(It's one of the reasons Veritas in Sanctuary is one of my all-time favorite episodes.)

So, NID combined Goa'uld DNA and human DNA to create their own version of a Harsesis child, but are surprised by the side effects. Give me a break.

Anyhow, it turns out bad for Keffler in the end when his creation turns on him before killing herself.

Anna's life thereby tragic from start to finish. Controlled by Sekhmet's DNA, unable to fight against it.
                          I think we're supposed to assume that Daniel telling her about Shifu is what gives her the strength to take her faith into her own hands, and I'm fine with that. I think it shows her own strength and resolve to be better than her Goa'uld half.

How would you rate SG-1's "Resurrection"?

Excellent
                          Good -- it's a solid episode, I approve
                          Fair
                          Poor
                          Terrible

---------------EDIT----------------

3-episode quiz: Heroes II, Resurrection & Inauguration

Jigsaw puzzle: Resurrection
                          Last edited by Falcon Horus; 14 August 2019, 04:04 PM. Reason: Adding quiz & jigsaw
                          Heightmeyer's Lemming -- still the coolest Lemming of the forum

Proper Stargate Rewatch -- season 10 of SG-1

Comment

20 mins. (Getting worse again)
                            http://i.imgur.com/gDxdl9E.gif

​ ​

Comment

This is hard one to believe. I really struggle believing that Keffler was able to combine DNA between a Goauld and human. That is beyond our technology. This episode just feels like going through the motions of things we have seen before. The only interesting thing was the split personality of Ana and I Don't think that was fully utilized. Its a poor. I too am getting worse with 9:00
                              Originally posted by aretood2
                              Jelgate is right

Comment

11:14 -- yes... we're doing alright here.
                                Heightmeyer's Lemming -- still the coolest Lemming of the forum

Proper Stargate Rewatch -- season 10 of SG-1

Comment

Working...
                                X