No announcement yet.

Heroes, Part 2 (718)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

When I first watched this I remember hating Woolsey with a passion, I realize now that's because I hadn't seen him as the holographic doctor in Voyager yet. So rewatching this episode was a little strange, I don't quite feel the same hate anymore. He seems sadly a little less effective in this role now to me.

Kind of like Skinner's character in Atlantis, he just never fit in for me.

Comment

I am surprised.. I don't see him as ineffective. Just not as well rounded yet.

Comment

AS this is the episode that killed Frasier, I remember it with nothing but contempt

Comment

For me it goes to show what a great episode it was, Fraser's death really showed us what those at the SGC were up against. Things didn't always go well with their trips through the Stargate. It depicted Fraser as a dedicated member of the SGC who went into the fight without a second thought to save lives, tragically giving up her life as a result.

Given she always did everything she could to save peoples' lives she really couldn't have gone down any other way. This episode worked for me, sacrificing a main well loved character as unexpected as it was really added to the emotional drama of this episode.

Comment

Originally posted by Tyrathraxus View Post
            AS this is the episode that killed Frasier, I remember it with nothing but contempt
            So no main/named character should ever die?

Comment

oh no... its just I felt such a connection to Frasier. I dont know why because I originally found her very by the book. Perhaps it was the Niirti plotline but I got to like her a lot. Perhaps Conempt wasnt the right word.. I missed her badly after this episode. Lam isnt a patch on her.

Comment

Yes, Fraiser was a loss, but I liked Lam a lot. No main character can live forever!
                CARPE DIEM
                ANJA

Comment

Frasier wasn't a main character
                  Originally posted by aretood2
                  Jelgate is right

Comment

Originally posted by Anja View Post
                    Yes, Fraiser was a loss, but I liked Lam a lot. No main character can live forever!
                    It seems its ONLY the main characters (Sam, jack, daniel and teal'c) who DO live forever!

Comment

Originally posted by garhkal View Post
                      It seems its ONLY the main characters (Sam, jack, daniel and teal'c) who DO live forever!
                      Fraiser developed into an - let's say - important character (for me), so her loss meant sth. If the really main characters die soon no 200 and more eps could be made, therefore they are main characters.
                      CARPE DIEM
                      ANJA

Comment

But having no death in the main characters especially with all the danger they kept getting in, was way outlandish imo.. There should (could) have been SOME sort of turn over to the main (SG1) team..

Comment

But having no death in the main characters especially with all the danger they kept getting in, was way outlandish imo.. There should (could) have been SOME sort of turn over to the main (SG1) team..
                          Especially when we hear how many other teams and team members were killed throughout the seasons.

Comment

True dat. Heck i would have loved to see some sort of wall IN the SGC, with a list of the dead shown..

Comment

But having no death in the main characters especially with all the danger they kept getting in, was way outlandish.
                              If this were anything but a TV show, that would certainly be true. But the team behind a TV show has to balance reality, drama and fan expectations. That's why main characters rarely die (because some fans would desert the show), drama always trumps reality (practicing law is never exciting), and even reality programs aren't realistic.

We can say "but they should..." all we want; it won't change the facts (that this is a TV show, that actors have contracts, that fans have favorites).

There's also history to consider. This show went off the air more than 10 years ago now, and the show that proved you could kill off your main characters and still retain your audience didn't exist yet (i.e., Game of Thrones).

Seaboe
                              If you're going to allow yourself to be offended by a cat, you might as well just pack it in -- Steven Brust

Comment

I saw both these episodes for the first time. To be honest, I found part one boring and I skipped a lot of scenes. I wasn't into the documentary thing. I think something like that was done better in Battlestar Galactica, where Lucy lawless was a journalist.
                                The real meat of the story is part two. I thought the battle sequence was very good, although it seems the Jaf'fa seem hopped up on Banzai tactics, but, when you serve a god...
                                I think the red herring with O'Neill was good set up, and Dr. Frazier's death very good. Just one shot, she falls, eyes open. That's war. Also, I could see her going here. She's gone in situations like this before, and didn't see Daniel being responsible. Who would? War is war, which is why a lot of vets feel guilty about being alive.
                                I thought the reaction to her death and the funeral were strong and very well done, especially Sam's grief.
                                O'Neill comforting her and Tel'uc's suggestions for a eulogy good. Also, I liked how the documentary team came through in the end. Leaving Cassie out was a big mistake, but as I've commented before, the producers don't do continuity very well, and have trouble getting actors back. In Canada, they must be really busy. Also, it seemed for three seasons, the producers assumed the series was getting cancelled. A pity the series couldn't have ended about this time. I know this is heresy for most of you, but I think it's better to decide to end a series when you're at a peak, go out with a bang. I think of Xena, which left when they were still doing good, or the Dick Van Dyke show, where Carl Reiner planned for three seasons and no more. Too many series go on and on and on...
                                I sensed at this time, Anderson was getting tired of being in the series. Just an impression.
                                Also, at this time, I saw Cheryl Rotherty in an episode of Dead Like Me. It was fun seeing her.

Comment

Working...
                                X