Page 2 of 16 FirstFirst 1234512 ... LastLast

Default Re: Heroes, Part 2 (718)

They kinda left the whole Cassey thing unexplained. I agree too, it would have been nice to see her. I was rather bumbed that they didn't have her.
    Dark Helmet: So, Lone Starr, now you see that evil will always triumph because good is dumb.
    Dark Helmet: No, it's not what you think. It's much, much worse!

Col. Sandurz: Prepare for light speed.
    Dark Helmet: No, no, light speed is too slow.
    Col. Sandurz: Light speed too slow?
    Dark Helmet: Yes, we'll have to go right to...Ludicrous speed!
    Col. Sandurz:Ludicrous speed! Sir, we've never gone that fast before. I don't think the ship can take it.
    Dark Helmet: What's the matter, Colonel Sandurz...CHICKEN?!

It would be something they should deal with in season eight, not saying that they wll

Intergalactic Hussy
    (Moderator Emeritus)
    I don't know but the view sure looks nice

I have to say that Heroes Part 2 is one of if not my overall favorite episode, but the Cassie thing was one bit that felt a little off to me. I wish that she had been more than just one throw away line. I don't think that Sam was callously dismissing her by saying "She's tough" but I wish that Cassie had been able to actually make an appearance. I do realize though that they only had 42 minutes to cram A LOT of stuff into so I don't really dwell on it too much, it's just more of a "that would have been nice" type of thing.

It really gets you wondering about what is going to happen to her and what her reaction was to this

Quote Originally Posted by dorien
    As SG-1's resident linguist/archeologist, Daniel wasn't needed on the rescue mission. As a seasoned veteran of offworld combat situations, he was needed. But he didn't act in that capacity. While he should have had his eyes up and scanning the area for threats, he was busy playing medic and filming.

So...was he responsible for Dr Frasier's death?
    Having Daniel accompanying Janet might not seem the most logical course of action given the combat situation, but I think it was a necessary plot-device for the episode. Not only did it provide some "character moment" for Daniel, the recorded video footage also led to Bregman telling his story, which gave some insight to the character's motivation. In the end, this plot-device served the overall story line very well.

In fact, this two-parter is among my favorites of the whole series. For once, the significance of heroism is not pounded into the audience by a sledge hammer but driven home very subtly. I especially appreciated the fact that neither episode put undue emphasis on Janet's scenes. To me, it said dying in the line of duty is a very real possibility that these men and women -- and especially Janet -- face on a daily basis. They were heros not because of how they died, but because of how they did their job despite of knowing, and fearing, they might die.
    In all matters of opinion, our adversaries are insane. ~ Oscar Wilde

It seemed weird that Daniel would actually record that because of what he was going through and even harder to give it up

From my memory, and from reading the transcripts here, it seems that at that point, Daniel's duty wasn't combat, but as medical assistant to Janet. Yeah, they had him doing something that wasn't his usual job description, but for the purpose of that scene, he was doing what he was supposed to do. Another soldier was covering them, and Janet needed Daniel at first to help turn Wells over so she could check him, and to hold the IV bag. Later, taking nonverbal cues from Janet that he should do it, he filmed Wells' message to his wife. Again, he didn't stop covering Janet to do so, because he was there in (for the purpose of the plot, which did put people in situations that they normally wouldn't be in) the capacity as her assistant.

Quote Originally Posted by Dani347
    From my memory, and from reading the transcripts here, it seems that at that point, Daniel's duty wasn't combat, but as medical assistant to Janet.
    Yes, you are correct. Yet the question remains: why was Daniel assisting her? Surely, a "professional" medic would have been more proficient, especially given the combat situation.

If I understand the original question correctly, dorien was actually not speaking ill of Daniel. It was instead a question about a specific plot point, as there wasn't any good reason, i.e., something that actually transpired on the show, for Daniel to be where he was. Personally, I think it was because the plot needed him to be there.
    In all matters of opinion, our adversaries are insane. ~ Oscar Wilde

Quite right, Daniel didn't exactly do much apart from say a couple of words and get out his camera and start recording

A field medic like Janet was for the purpose of this ep would not know in advance how many hands she'd need or what she'd need help with. She would assess the patient and if she thought the civillian team member accompanying her was likely to be of use to her in saving a life (and in the absence of orders from the CO that he would be better utilised on the front line) she might order him to stay with her. If it turns out that she is able to manage for the most part without him that doesn't make her wrong to have requested his presence, or to keep him by her in case the patient has a downturn and does requires more than a single medic. It certainly doesn't make anything that civillian's fault.

Madeleine

It's just the bit about any show that gets to me. Oh what a coincidence that they or something just happens to be in the place at the wrong time

Quote Originally Posted by Madeleine_W
    A field medic like Janet was for the purpose of this ep would not know in advance how many hands she'd need or what she'd need help with.
    I fully agree. The little information the SGC got didn't say much about Wells' injuries. There were said to be about six Jaffa on 666 (oh, another "coincidence"?), with whom SG-1 and the other teams could have easily dealt with, and Fraiser would have been there to only get the injured man out of there. I won't start the "Why was Daniel there at all?" because he would rarely have anything to do in all military actions, but I buy about everything that has happened in this episode and see it as part of the SG-1 stories.

I also like the consequences for Fraiser's death in future episodes. I don't want to praise it too much, but how her death led up to Inauguration and finally Lost City fits so nice (I liked her character but I accept she's gone).
    http://i52.photobucket.com/albums/g3...s/AngryPC2.gif No, 'Eureka' is Greek for 'This bath is too hot.'
    http://i52.photobucket.com/albums/g3...s/AngryPC2.gif
    http://i52.photobucket.com/albums/g3...s/AngryPC2.gif "Because only an extremely deranged individual would think of doing what we're doing."
    http://i52.photobucket.com/albums/g3...s/AngryPC2.gif (LOST producer Damon Lindelof, May 2007)
    http://i52.photobucket.com/albums/g3...es/AngryPC.gif

Airman

Quote Originally Posted by Liebestraume
    Yet the question remains: why was Daniel assisting her? Surely, a "professional" medic would have been more proficient, especially given the combat situation.

If I understand the original question correctly, dorien was actually not speaking ill of Daniel. It was instead a question about a specific plot point, as there wasn't any good reason, i.e., something that actually transpired on the show, for Daniel to be where he was. Personally, I think it was because the plot needed him to be there.
    The reason I don't like this episode is because it was a contrived plot designed to kill Dr Fraiser. It rang false at every turn. Why was Fraiser sent into a combat situation in the first place? It was the job for a medic. Fraiser should have been at the SGC prepping the infirmary. Why was Daniel assisting when trained medics were also on the mission? Just where were these medics anyway? And why didn't he express any sense of responsibility for her death? After all, it's only human to play the "if only..." game.

You are right Liebestraume, my original question wasn't actually about Daniel but the plot points that had to be shoehorned into the story to kill Janet. It just wasn't well done. It was false and contrived and poorly written.

There is a deleted scene from scifi.com for this episode that had Jack seeing the final tape... it should have been included.

Most of the deleted scenes from scifi.com include RDA... why cut those out? We don't see him enough in s7.

This ep. was completely ruined for me by an interview in a Sci-fi mag that gave away the entire plot. This meant that I already knew who was going to die, making the whole "is it Jack?" plotline pointless for me.

I was also amazed to read a thread on another forum where SC was being blamed for Janets death!
    According to that thread, SC left her post to attend Jack, which allowed a clear shot at Janet.
    The fact that Frasier was communicating by radio and not just shouting, and was therefore nowhere near SC & J seemed to have been missed.
    http://forum.gateworld.net/attachment.php?attachmentid=29235&d=1297874202

I loved and hated this episode, I wish Janet was still here, she is very entertaining, also, everyone knows they wouldn’t kill someone like jack off, so they should have made us think they’d killed someone a little more expendable, to make it more believable.

I give green for signatures with ancient in them

Quote Originally Posted by bcmilco
    She wasn't there Or if she was she was "off-screen" the whole time.

That was one thing I was a little disapointed with. I would have at least liked to have seen her at the service. And it really would have been nice if they had had her in several scenes.

WHY DID SHE HAD TO DIE
    WHY it's not fair man I tell you. I'm angry !!!!!!!How could they kill doc fraizer What about Cassendra?Who's going to look after Cassie?First her planet than Janet
    Deluise should let some moments of Fraiser see when Carter was reading the list and then with sad music that would be a beautifull way to say goodbye to Janet Fraiser She's gone Such great actress !!! And that ennoying short fellow I hate him He was enoying.I'm urked but kodos to Jack !!!! He did the interview even he didn't liked the short fellow.MAybe General Hammond orded him to do it?Who knows?
    Lord Zedd

Right next to the Stargate, the one I made.

Earth Symbol Re: Heroes, Part 2 (718)

It was sooo sad. I was afraid that it was Jack who died (stupid me, shoulda known better), and then I found out it was Janet, so so sad! They shouldn'ta killed her off! I miss her! They'll never find another replacement for her! *rants on for another ten minutes* The SGC has already been affected by it. The SGC will never be the same. Maybe they can find a sarcophogus...
    Yes, I really do look like (a younger) Daniel. Don't believe me? Look for yourself.

http://i2.tinypic.com/20gmk8w.jpg
    Hey, Mitchell! You want a turn?

It was unbelievably sad- I loved the fact that we didn't know who actually dies (unless we read spoilers) but it was great- sort of like yo expected it to be Jack and you were worried but you prepared yourself and then it was Janet, I didn't realise how much I like her until she was gone and i really miss her now. It was a great emotive ep for sg-1 though, fantabulous!

Page 2 of 16 FirstFirst 1234512 ... LastLast