This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Spaceship Battles

There is no gravity in outerspace, the gravity is produced by the ship that is in space. No matter what pitch or angle the ship is at. So my question is this, why whenever several ships are battling, are they always all both upright(in perspective) as opposed to some being sideways and upside down?

Has no one thought of this before or is there a logical reason for this?

It just looks "right"...
    "Yo, you wanna join SG-1?"

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by dd78matt
      There is no gravity in outerspace, the gravity is produced by the ship that is in space. No matter what pitch or angle the ship is at. So my question is this, why whenever several ships are battling, are they always all both upright(in perspective) as opposed to some being sideways and upside down?

Has no one thought of this before or is there a logical reason for this?
      Actually Babylon 5 did take this into account. One of the few shows that dealt with the actual laws of physics.

"We'll keep the light on for you."

Comment

Yes. On another note, why do they show fiery explosions in space if there is no oxygen.
        http://www.change.gov

The reason you should vote Republican in 2010.

Comment

Originally posted by rarocks24
          Yes. On another note, why do they show fiery explosions in space if there is no oxygen.
          You can always say that it's due to the material being vaporized, or the atmosphere leaking out when the hull is breached, and thus enabling the growth of flames.
          The Al'kesh is not a warship - Info on Naqahdah & Naqahdria - Firepower of Goa'uld staff weapons - Everything about Hiveships and the Wraith - An idea about what powers Destiny...

Comment

Originally posted by Mister Oragahn
            You can always say that it's due to the material being vaporized, or the atmosphere leaking out when the hull is breached, and thus enabling the growth of flames.
            Wouldn't the vacuum put the flames out immediately? Air travels rather quickly...

Comment

They also dealt with this issue in B5. They said that the explosions where possible because the oxygen was supplied for the explosion by the oxygen inside the ship to give a breathable atmosphere for the crew.

They even did an ep where the explosions of enemy fighters where different color becuase the race breathed a different atmosphere.

Comment

Originally posted by Dark Monarch
                They also dealt with this issue in B5. They said that the explosions where possible because the oxygen was supplied for the explosion by the oxygen inside the ship to give a breathable atmosphere for the crew.

They even did an ep where the explosions of enemy fighters where different color becuase the race breathed a different atmosphere.
                To tell the truth, it's been so long since I saw B5 that I can hardly remember what the plot was. Wasn't there a whole big thing into who the enemy with the wierd black sparkly ships were? I can also remember from the show the distrust of telepaths...

Comment

Yeah, I've noticed this. Plus when they show a Ship with earth in the Background, the Ship is always parellel to the Earth's equator...

I think the answer to this would be that:

-Seeing as none of us have ever been in Space (Correct me if I'm wrong ) we have no idea what it's actually like in first-hand expirience.

-We know what earth is like because we're there 100% of the time.

-Our subconcious & body will always assume we're in an Earth like environment, becasue that is all it knows & is designed for.

-Body>Concious Mind

-Subconcious Mind>Concious Mind

-TPTB want Stargate to relate to the viewers, not to distance them from it. So they'll always incorperate things that yuor body & Sunconcious mind expect to see:

-Ships parellel to Earth = Picture of Atlas alaways upright

-Fiery Explosions = Weapons = Bang!+Fire

-Ships Parellel to Each other = Cars are always Parellel to Each other. Cars=Pwnage

They will always give us what we're used to, never anything realistic but extrodinary compared to Earth's standards...

Comment

To tell the truth, it's been so long since I saw B5 that I can hardly remember what the plot was. Wasn't there a whole big thing into who the enemy with the wierd black sparkly ships were? I can also remember from the show the distrust of telepaths...

The plot was basicly that there where two great races called The Shadows and The Vorlons. The Shadows believed that only thru chaos and war could younger races evolve and grow. The Vorlons beileved that only thru order and peace could we evolve.

B5 was one of the most epic and detailed Sc-fi shows ever.

And it's final episode was one of the televisions finest hours!

Comment

The simple answer is that it looks better on screen. A true to the laws of physics space battle would have no sound and no big explosions, so it wouldn't be as entertaining to watch.
                      I'm not an actor. I just play one on TV.

Comment

well if you thik of the plane of our galaxy, its basicly one big flat disk, so for any species to travel across it and actualy stay in the galaxy they would have to be in the same plane. if you see what i mean. otherwise they would just fly out of the galaxy or travel across it with the ventral or dorsal side as the front or back of the ship.

and yeh, it does look better like that....easier to understand.

Comment

Originally posted by happyclappy
                          well if you thik of the plane of our galaxy, its basicly one big flat disk, so for any species to travel across it and actualy stay in the galaxy they would have to be in the same plane. if you see what i mean. otherwise they would just fly out of the galaxy or travel across it with the ventral or dorsal side as the front or back of the ship.

and yeh, it does look better like that....easier to understand.
                          Our galaxy isn't two dimensional.

And yes, it looks better.

Comment

There would also be no sound in space.

Anyone who gives me green is sexy, wanna be sexy? Give me Green! Woopie!

CLICK THE PIC!

Comment

Originally posted by Avenger
                              The simple answer is that it looks better on screen. A true to the laws of physics space battle would have no sound and no big explosions, so it wouldn't be as entertaining to watch.
                              Exactly! All science fiction shows have dealt with space battles in a similar fashion over the years. It does look better and more exciting onscreen, so that's why they stick to it.
                              sigpic
                              MS - "Boy, wow that's a great question!"
                              "...phu...ah..."
                              "Anyone know what SENTIENT means???"
                              Sunday is my favorite day for two reasons - Football and The Walking Dead

Comment

Working...
                              X