Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345
    Major

Default Re: Heroes, Part 1 (717)

Quote Originally Posted by Gate_Builder View Post
    I found out recently that the actor who plays Siler is also the stunt coordinator for the show.
    He was also RDA's stunt double, which you can actually see sometimes if you frame by frame certain episodes (e.g., carrying Daniel through the gate in The Light).

Seaboe

Tuesday night and another ep of SG1...

1. Let's face it, this two parter was very highly anticipated and 99% of us at least know why. However the big event was yet to happen in this ep.

2. What we got was our guys looking very out of the element and I don't blame Hammond for acting as he did. The fact is as he said "Cameras don't just record things they change what they record". All observers do that to some extent.

3. This made Bergman seem slightly annoying. I mean I sympathised with him a bit, the guy was just trying to do his job but why couldn't he see that no one was comfortable with him there and trying to make them comfortable was just going to be a waste of time?

4. SG13 was interesting purely from a characterisation perspective, for a group of one-off characters they were actually pretty solid.

And then we had the To be continued...

DVDs Re: Heroes, Part 1 (717)

Interesting episode.

There were a lot of interesting moments:
    • The interview with Teal'c
    • Jack being his usual smartass
    • SG-13 looked like a fun team (not as fun as SG-1 though)
    • Kinsey still being a jerk, even with those cameras around.

Tomorrow, Episode 150, someone's gonna die.

My LiveJournal post

Wasn't looking forward to this, especially the second part..
    Saul Rubinek is good though.
    "Thanks to denial, I'm immortal."
    "A big 'Hello' to all intelligent life out there, and for everyone else, the secret is to bang the rocks together, guys!"
    "Excuse me, barmaid? You seem to have brought me the wrong offspring. I ordered an extra large boy with beefy arms, extra guts and glory on the side. This here, this is a talking fishbone!"
    "I'm Jack. It means... what's in the box?"

>-- Czechs Rock! >--

Bregman was the narrator of this piece, wonderfully played by Saul Rubinek, his performance was so heartfelt. Made the episode a joy to watch for the first time and every re-watch since!

Through his attempt to give a face to the people of the SGC we learned a lot about the SGC. We knew they were heroes, but here we had a chance to get to the essence of what made the people of the SGC who they were. We saw what they were up against in their daily lives and Bregman only wanted to catalogue the lives and actions of some exceptional, yet ordinary people that even we as the viewer take for granted. The fantastic scene with SG-13 discussing ordinary things that people at any job would with their colleagues was a great piece of drama and superbly acted. What a great way to remind us who these people, whose adventures we follow really are!

The writing was superb in my opinion and makes this and part two one of the highlights of the whole franchise.

This episode reminds me of the Star Trek: TNG episode, "Lower Decks" We got to see the SGC from a prespective that is not SG1. First you get an outsider perspective of the film crew. We are use to seeing the free reign SG1 gets its weird to see all the restriction that the film crew has. Also we get to see an average mission from the backup SG team. SG1 doesn't do the average missions. Since they are the front line team they get the really important missions. So I really like seeing these different perspectives even if Bregman is kind of a jerk in this episode.
    Quote Originally Posted by aretood2 View Post
    Jelgate is right

Yes this was excellent.
    Teal'c was interviewed and it went great

Probie

Surprised to see Artie in Warehouse 13 show up in this ep. It is really weird and funny to hear the word artefact from him in SG1

Staff Sergeant

If I had to decide, I probably would vote "Heroes" my favorite 2 eps. of the whole franchise. The writing is so brillant, as is the directing and photography - let alone the various performances by the cast, especially Saul Rubinek.
    The whole setup for the 2. Part is perfectly done.

There is just one tiny little flaw, that bugs me every time I watch it. The interview with Carter is out of character. The writers wanted to have the Jack/Sam-stuff discussed, not realizing that it is completely unrealistic and also inappropriate for Carter to actually dwell on that subject when being interviewed for a documentary. She would not have said half of what she actually did - especially, since she did that mostly on her own. She was not driven in any corner here.

But other than that, that two-parter is really a highlight of the 10 years Sg-1 era.

Earth Symbol Re: Heroes, Part 1 (717)

The audience gets well prepared for the second part (= conclusion)
    - tension is built up
    - Bergmann tries a job on 'hostile' ground
    - Teal'c is the funny element giving the best interview of his life
    - violence
    - to be continued (ha,ha)

good one, second part even better

CARPE DIEM
    ANJA

Chief Master Sergeant

Quote Originally Posted by enibas5 View Post
    If I had to decide, I probably would vote "Heroes" my favorite 2 eps. of the whole franchise. The writing is so brillant, as is the directing and photography - let alone the various performances by the cast, especially Saul Rubinek.
    The whole setup for the 2. Part is perfectly done.

There is just one tiny little flaw, that bugs me every time I watch it. The interview with Carter is out of character. The writers wanted to have the Jack/Sam-stuff discussed, not realizing that it is completely unrealistic and also inappropriate for Carter to actually dwell on that subject when being interviewed for a documentary. She would not have said half of what she actually did - especially, since she did that mostly on her own. She was not driven in any corner here.

But other than that, that two-parter is really a highlight of the 10 years Sg-1 era.
    I agree - not only out of character and inappropriate but it also makes no sense in light of the events of "Grace".

Carter has already decided to move on plus there is the part of her that believes she was only interested in O'Neill because it couldn't happened and that protected her from getting hurt in a real relationship.

Staff Sergeant

Adam Baldwin is the best TV military guy ever,
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UnZW5UKo_6U

Staff Sergeant

Does not anyone find strange that Bregman never expressed any wish to interview general Hammond, the head of the whole SGC?

I like the great shown of different SG team in this episode. I would actually wish to see more of them.

And maybe this does not belong to this thread but I heard somewhere the opinions that Wells and Bosworth were responsible for the death of Janet in the second part. I can't disagree more with this rubbish statements. Wells was seriously injured there and he only wished to say goodbye his wife and unborn child, it also was not his idea to use the camera (I also do not want to say that Daniel was responsible for the death of Janet, only this Jaffa was). And Bosworth should cover Daniel and Janet, but he was alone for this task and he simply could not cover four different sides at the same moment.

I also like the character of Bregman, I always though that he had valid points and that he did not wish any harm to the people, he only wanted to show the truth about the work there. I like how they change their attitude towards Bregman when they realized the truth (Hammond, Daniel, colonel Rundell - I like that at the end of the second part Rundell called Bregman Emmett as he offered him at the beginning of the first part - it showed that Rundell's opinion of Bregman changed considerably).
    Last edited by Manche; February 15th, 2019 at 01:12 PM.

Air Force Chief of Staff Falcon Horus's Avatar

Here I am, watching the 2 episodes I swore never to watch again... and not because I hate them with a vengeance like Demons in season 3 but because of what happens in the second part of it.

Anyway, this is a filler... and in retrospect, I think I'm inclined to say it's actually a boring episode. Much like "Sunday" in Stargate Atlantis, this was probably not written as the end of one of the characters but in order to shake things up a bit, to make it less flat, they kill a secondary character (in both cases, the senior Medical Doctor).

It has its funny moments, like when Daniel runs to his office just to see what Bregman is gonna do. Teal'c not speaking during his "interview", O'Neill telling Kinsey what he really thinks of him (saved by the bell of an incoming wormhole though). Carter and her interactions with Teal'c and Daniel in her lab.

But the best of all -- Dixon's line about nuclear diapers and projectile vomiting.

Also, Fraiser casually throwing it out there that Cassie is adopted and from another planet. I seriously thought Bregman was gonna spit his drink back out -- missed opportunity if you ask me.

Nevertheless, I give it a good. I was, after all, mildly entertained.

How would you rate SG-1's "Heroes, Part 1"?

Excellent
    Good
    Fair
    Poor
    Terrible

--------------EDIT---------------

3-episode quiz: Chimera, Death Knell & Heroes I

Jigsaw puzzle: Heroes, part I
    Last edited by Falcon Horus; August 14th, 2019 at 09:48 AM. Reason: Adding quiz & jigsaw
    Heightmeyer's Lemming -- still the coolest Lemming of the forum
    Proper Stargate Rewatch -- season 9 of SG-1
    First time watching Star Trek: The Adventures of Captain Kirk and his Trusted Sidekick, Mr. Spock

11:20

Major

I like this despite its dullness because it shows more or less normal life at the SGC. We don't get to see much of that because, well, it's dull.

Seaboe
    If you're going to allow yourself to be offended by a cat, you might as well just pack it in -- Steven Brust

The episode suffers from the two larger curse. It spends a lot of time setting up the story. It also tries to show an outside perspective through the eyes of Bergman with mixed results. I think the best part is SG-13 and seeing how a team besides SG1 operates. I dont think Dixon is wrong about children. I give it a fair. I got 14/15 and 5:05. You expect me to remember a license plate? I barely know my license plate
    Quote Originally Posted by aretood2 View Post
    Jelgate is right

Quote Originally Posted by jelgate View Post
    You expect me to remember a license plate? I barely know my license plate
    Got to shake things up a bit -- at least I haven't asked for a planet's designation recently... (yet)
    First time watching Star Trek: The Adventures of Captain Kirk and his Trusted Sidekick, Mr. Spock

Last one for today: 7:58

Chief Master Sergeant

This episode was just perfect. I was laughing so much The interviews were very funny and especially I liked the one with Walter. He was very cute and so motivated I could talk and talk and everything what I would say would be, that it was perfect. Everything

Just the knowlege what will happen to Janet made a bit a sad. She was such a good character.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345