Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Major General

Default Re: Heroes, Part 1 (717)

Quote Originally Posted by MechaThor View Post
    -Dr lee's new armour test which went wrong.
    IIRC siler was unhurt in that test...

SG1 - Background on Col. Dixon (Heroes):

From the blog uninflected images juxtaposed (the author's name is Will Dixon):

http://uninflectedimages.blogspot.co...t-happens.html

Thursday, February 15, 2007

It's All Fine And Good Until It Happens To You...

As writers we're constantly begging, borrowing, stealing...from our lives. And especially in series television where you have to quickly come up with interesting and unique characters (usually secondary or guest roles). And it's a challenge to make these characters feel and sound unique each and every time. So you borrow from the lives and traits and quirks of your family and your friends and colleagues...the people you know. It's your 'go to' bag of tricks.

Over the years, I know I've named a lot of characters after friends of mine. And I'm sure I've borrowed a trait or two from someone I know and plugged it into 'the ornery detective' so as to flesh out his character a bit. It's okay, it's what we do...

So yesterday I was sick as a dog, and was watching with one eye 'Stargate SG:1' on the Space channel. And there was an episode on called 'Heroes' from Season 7 I believe. It was an unusual episode that ran outside the box a bit (which is prone to occur with most long running series - 'X Files' and 'Buffy' and 'Angel' all started turning themselves upside down after a while). It was framed around a reporter doing a documentary behind the scenes of SG:1 and thus mixed video/interview footage with dramatic footage. And this storyline was intercut with a SG:13 expedition mission over on a planet somewhere.

Anyway, the leader of this expedition was played by Adam Baldwin and his first scene began with his team arriving via a stargate and heading out to do some exploring.

And something in what the Baldwin character said or how he said it rang a faint bell for me.

Then he was referred to as Colonel Dixon. I sat up a bit. And then the following scene played out (lifted from the Gateworld: Stargate Transcripts website)...

Still offworld, SG-13 walk through some trees.

DIXON: Yeah, all night screaming, projectile vomiting, nuclear diapers. You have no idea. The reason they make them so damn cute is so you won't smother them in their sleep.

WELLS: Sir, you have four kids.

DIXON: Yeah, why do you think I love my job so much? Don't get me wrong I love the little buggers to death but trust me, having four kids makes going through the Stargate and facing off alien bad guys look like nothing. This is relaxing.

WELLS: Then why'd you have four?

DIXON: Well, one's pretty bad but you figure you got to have two so the little guy can have a brother or sister right? Then you have two boys and the wife says she wants a girl, so you figure, hell, three can't be much worse than two right? But you don't relise your brain is fried because you haven't slept and after three, four is no big deal. So then you're so deep in that nothing seems to matter anymore. It's chaos. You just try to make it through each day alive. In the end you spend all the energy you have left trying to get them into bed, only to lay awake praying they don't get hooked on drugs, hurt, or worse, wind up dead in an alley somewhere.

WELLS: Can't wait, sir.

DIXON: Ah miracle of birth my ass. I'll tell you what a miracle is...birth control that works.

SG-13 walk into a clearing. Before them is an ancient city.

DIXON: Well, I'll be damned.

BALINSKY: I win.

And it seems pretty clear that Colonel Dixon is me. Or more or less based on me. I looked it up online and the episode was written by Rob C. Cooper...and years ago, Rob and I'd had a version of that very conversation when we worked together on 'Psi Factor' - a 'life with kids and when to have kids' discussion. He was yet to be a parent, I had just had numbers 3 & 4 (twins).

"Hey, that's my life you're talking about here, pal?"

Oh right, Beg, borrow, and steal...it's what what we do.

Anyway, it was kinda cool...a compliment of sorts - but the episode was a two parter...a 'To Be Continued'. I presume Rob was paying his respects by naming the character after me, but until I watch Part 2, I don't know if Colonel Dixon gets to be 'a hero' and is reunited with his kids? Or is he the goat or bum or even worse, gets his ass shot off by the Goa'ulds.

We shall see.

Quote Originally Posted by ixaigus View Post
    Haha. Yeah. Them placing bets on what they'd encounter on the planet. I thought that was really amusing. "I'm going to go with trees, sir." "Bosworth's disqualified for being a smartass."
    Hehehe, same here. I loved when they see the city ruins and the red-haired guy (I forget his name) is completely shocked and goes, "I won".

I really enjoyed this episode, I thought it was really funny. The interviews with Sam, Daniel (running away), Teal'c and the others were fun to watch and the Chevron guy was hilarious. Also liked Jack's "interview" and near the end when he says, "I hope shots of my ass serve you well."

It was also good seeing another team interacting off-world other than SG1.
    "Don't dis MacGyver, or before you know it he'll be at your door with some tinfoil, a whistle and a bag of marbles...and you'll be sorry then..."
    S/J all the way!
    Big Honkin' Resolution!

John/Teyla Shipper!
    SAVE STARGATE ATLANTIS!!!!

Chief Master Sergeant Dark Soul's Avatar

Thumbs up Re: Heroes, Part 1 (717)

Quote Originally Posted by Lugal View Post
    I liked the part with Daniel

Bregman: Why were you running?

Daniel: I just wanted to see if you would chase me.
    Yes I loved that part. Daniel is my favorite character, he reminds me of my old chemistry teacher.

funny the palnet is px 666

Fenrir Foxz

DHD Re: Heroes, Part 1 (717)

Quote Originally Posted by Theimmortaljedi View Post
    funny the palnet is px 666
    P3X-666

i think the computer designation to that planet sums it up quite well, O'neill gets injured, Dr Fraiser dies along with several other servicemen/women injured or dead...

Major General

Did they ever go into which Gou'ald set the trap? Or which one made that ',malp'??

Fenrir Foxz

Chevron Re: Heroes, Part 1 (717)

Quote Originally Posted by garhkal View Post
    Did they ever go into which Gou'ald set the trap? Or which one made that ',malp'??
    I think a huge Jaffa contingent got the drop on the SG team that went to P3X-666 and several other teams including SG-1 were sent to as additional firepower and to bring them back...

Major General

But who's Jaffa were they?

this episode and part 2 as well as the prometheus episode from season 6 shows exactly why i hate reporters, they think that everyone has a right to know everything about everyone and everything

guess again

Major General

I have always wanted a reporter to use that line on me as my response would be.

If everyone has the right to know everything about everyone else, why don't you and all those who work in the press start...

Quote Originally Posted by randomguy View Post
    this episode and part 2 as well as the prometheus episode from season 6 shows exactly why i hate reporters, they think that everyone has a right to know everything about everyone and everything

guess again
    same here. however I do like the way we slightly change our opinion about them throughout the ep. I mean I still didn't like the guy when he was watching the final footage with Hammond but I didn't hate him as much as I did when he first appeared. we sorta get to to see his site and why he's there ye know. nevertheless I still can't stand those reporters. and don't get me started on the Prometheus ep

I have always wanted a reporter to use that line on me as my response would be.

If everyone has the right to know everything about everyone else, why don't you and all those who work in the press start...
    good one, I'd like to see them answer that question

Lieutenant Colonel captain jake's Avatar

Arrow2 Re: Heroes, Part 1 (717)

But who's Jaffa were they?
    They were the Jaffa of Anubis.

guess again
    as someone who is taking a degree in journalism i must say that we are taught to respect people privacy and follow the laws that govern that privacy.
    Please do me a huge favour and help me be with the love of my life.

Quote Originally Posted by P-90_177 View Post
    as someone who is taking a degree in journalism i must say that we are taught to respect people privacy and follow the laws that govern that privacy.
    granted some reports are decent about respecting privacy, but then theres the ones like i saw a video of once. This guy just gets out on bail after being accused of killing his wife and this reporter is there to talk to him when he gets out, when the reporter goes to approach him he goes in a complete different direction, and when the reporter starts to follow him he begins running. The reporter then runs after him for over a mile! as soon as the reporter catches up to the guy he asks right away "did you kill your wife, yes or no?"

WTF IS THAT

granted some reports are decent about respecting privacy, but then theres the ones like i saw a video of once. This guy just gets out on bail after being accused of killing his wife and this reporter is there to talk to him when he gets out, when the reporter goes to approach him he goes in a complete different direction, and when the reporter starts to follow him he begins running. The reporter then runs after him for over a mile! as soon as the reporter catches up to the guy he asks right away "did you kill your wife, yes or no?"

WTF IS THAT
    The public has a right to know who is and who isn't a murderer I suppose....

Major General

Quote Originally Posted by P-90_177 View Post
    Taught it maybe, but i see too many reporters consistently hounding people even right up to their front doors to get something. What i would like to see happen is more enforcement OF those codes of conduct they are supposed to have, like when someone says to the press ;no comment' or the like, they don't continually hound him or her and stick all sorts of cameras and microphones in their face.

Quote Originally Posted by captain jake View Post
    The public has a right to know who is and who isn't a murderer I suppose....
    ya thats what the courts are for, not the reporters

ya thats what the courts are for, not the reporters
    Well without the reporters to report what the courts say, how would we find out?

Major General

There is a difference between them reporting what the court says and hounding someone like in the situation above.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast