This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I've got a question

I got the other terms but what the hell is Whumping?
    srg

Save Stargate SG-1!

Comment

Whumping is like thunking, except the character is usually in the process of suffering pain, (like shot by a Zat or a gun) or dead. Whump is kind of like the sound a body makes when it lands on the ground. Thus, "whumping." Since most people don't fancy the idea of seeing their favorite character suffer, "whumping" usually morphs into "thunking" most of the time.

Comment

Currently, I am unable to subscribe to Threads.

I had done so successfully and for several months running in the past. Several weeks ago I unsubscribed while going on vacation. Upon my return in mid-October, I attempted to subscribe and it did not accept.

Please advise. thanks, nell
        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by nell
          Currently, I am unable to subscribe to Threads.

I had done so successfully and for several months running in the past. Several weeks ago I unsubscribed while going on vacation. Upon my return in mid-October, I attempted to subscribe and it did not accept.

Please advise. thanks, nell
          Thread subscriptions have always been a touchy issue here at GW. For some, the subscriptions work, for others it doesn't.

Have you tried the following:

-Go into your "My Controls" panel here at GW. There's a section called "Subscribed Threads." Click on "List Subscriptions." That will list all the threads you've subscribed to. Check the "Notification" box to make check marks appear in all the checkboxes under the "Notification" column.

-Whenever you post in a thread, you have the option to subscribe to that thread. At the bottom of the post window (right above the topic review section) is an option that says "Thread Subscription". Select the notifications you would like. This is one way to subscribe to threads, and it seems to work for most people if the above method doesn't work.

-Did you delete the content of your internet browser's cache recently? Doing so may have erased the GateWorld cookies that may have controlled the thread subscriptions (but i don't know if the thread subscriptions are controlled by cookies or not).

Try using the second method described above, and see if that works.

Comment

Originally posted by TechnoWraith
            Thread subscriptions have always been a touchy issue here at GW. For some, the subscriptions work, for others it doesn't.

-Go into your "My Controls" panel here at GW. There's a section called "Subscribed Threads." Click on "List Subscriptions." That will list all the threads you've subscribed to. Check the "Notification" box to make check marks appear in all the checkboxes under the "Notification" column.

-Whenever you post in a thread, you have the option to subscribe to that thread. At the bottom of the post window (right above the topic review section) is an option that says "Thread Subscription". Select the notifications you would like. This is one way to subscribe to threads, and it seems to work for most people if the above method doesn't work.

-Did you delete the content of your internet browser's cache recently? Doing so may have erased the GateWorld cookies that may have controlled the thread subscriptions (but i don't know if the thread subscriptions are controlled by cookies or not).

Thanks for your speedy reply!! I tried 1 and 2. No subscriptions. I'll ask my husband about 3 but I don't think I've done any such deleting on my laptop.

P.S. Congrats on your almost 2000 posts!!! nell
            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by nell
              Thanks for your speedy reply!! I tried 1 and 2. No subscriptions. I'll ask my husband about 3 but I don't think I've done any such deleting on my laptop.

P.S. Congrats on your almost 2000 posts!!! nell
              The other possibility could be that your primary e-mail service may be treating all the auto-reply notifications as spam or junk mail. If your e-mail service has a junk/spam/bulk mail folder, check it to see if all the notifications ended up there. Sometimes the volume of auto-replies will make your e-mail service think that the auto-replies are junk mail. You can also set up an e-mail filter to ensure that all the auto-replies make it to your inbox.

Comment

Whumping is like thunking, except the character is usually in the process of suffering pain, (like shot by a Zat or a gun) or dead. Whump is kind of like the sound a body makes when it lands on the ground. Thus, "whumping." Since most people don't fancy the idea of seeing their favorite character suffer, "whumping" usually morphs into "thunking" most of the time.
                So it's like "noooooo my fave character has been shot nooooooo"
                srg

Save Stargate SG-1!

Comment

Yep thats it - weird isnt it
                  gumboYaYa: you are all beautiful, your words and openness are what make that shine. don't forget how much talent love and beauty you all have.
                  so for now, peace love love love more love and happy, and thank you, thank you, thank you
                  love Torri

Comment

I thought whumping was something that happened to the characters, not a reaction from the fans?

Like... Evolution is a good example of Danny whumping. He's kidnapped, tortured, half drowned, kicked around and generally beaten up and abused. Whumping = beating. Folks who like whumping like to see their chosen character get hurt... usually because of the "comforting" that comes after (whether it's actually on the show, in fanfics, or just in their own imagination).

Or is that what was said? 'Cause I got the impression you were equating whumping with the sound fans make when they keel over 'cause their favorite character was hurt.

Either that or I've always vastly misunderstood the entire concept of whumping. That's entirely possible.

Comment

Both what happened and the reaction constitute whumping
                      gumboYaYa: you are all beautiful, your words and openness are what make that shine. don't forget how much talent love and beauty you all have.
                      so for now, peace love love love more love and happy, and thank you, thank you, thank you
                      love Torri

Comment

Originally posted by ShadowMaat
                        I thought whumping was something that happened to the characters, not a reaction from the fans?

Like... Evolution is a good example of Danny whumping. He's kidnapped, tortured, half drowned, kicked around and generally beaten up and abused. Whumping = beating. Folks who like whumping like to see their chosen character get hurt... usually because of the "comforting" that comes after (whether it's actually on the show, in fanfics, or just in their own imagination).

Or is that what was said? 'Cause I got the impression you were equating whumping with the sound fans make when they keel over 'cause their favorite character was hurt.

Either that or I've always vastly misunderstood the entire concept of whumping. That's entirely possible.
                        You're correct, and Thunking is the noise the fan makes whilst looking at pics of their favourite character.
                        ETA: the noise from their heads, jaws etc hitting the floor, keyboard....
                        sigpic

Comment

Cookies don't have anything to do with thread subscriptions. If you've ever logged on from another computer, you'll notice you're subscribed to the same threads.

If number two didn't work, try editing your options so that you automatically subscribe to threads when you post in them. If number two didn't work, then this may not, but you never know...
                          gatehorse

lj here if you're interested.

Comment

Originally posted by srg
                            So it's like "noooooo my fave character has been shot nooooooo"
                            Essentially.

Comment

Sorry to interrupt, but it's my understanding that 'whumping', as well as being the act of your favourite character suffering, was also an area of fandom where people, kinda sadistically, enjoyed the fact that their favourite character is getting welted on... (???)

~*Beanie*~ | No mountain too high, no gutter too low... | Ar scáth a chéile a mhairimid uilig...
                              "It is better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid than to open it and remove all doubt."

Comment

Originally posted by knocknashee
                                Sorry to interrupt, but it's my understanding that 'whumping', as well as being the act of your favourite character suffering, was also an area of fandom where people, kinda sadistically, enjoyed the fact that their favourite character is getting welted on... (???)
                                Yes...and...??

Im sorry I dont seem to uderstand what you are asking!!

Comment

Working...
                                X