Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

This is sort of question I have noticed people on Ask Mod thread reporting forum loading being really slow, it’s perfectly fine at my end anyone else experiencing the same problem.
    "Love is not for life, it's for one week only" Wass

“You have to stay in shape. My grandmother, she started walking five miles a day when she was 60. She's 97 today and we don't know where the hell she is.” Ellen DeGeners

“You tried your best and you failed miserably. The lesson is 'never try'.” Homer Simpson

“It took me fifteen years to discover I had no talent for writing, but I couldn't give it up, because by that time I was too famous.” Robert Benchley

“What is it with McDonald's staff who pretend they don't understand you unless you insert the 'Mc' before the item you're ordering? It has to be a McChicken burger...a chicken burger gets blank looks. Well, I'll have a McStraw and jam it into your McEyes, you f**cking Mc******!” Billy Connolly

“Before you judge a man, walk a mile in his shoes. After that, who cares? ...He's a mile away and you've got his shoes.” Billy Connolly

Comment

The forum has been faster for me since the upgrade
      gumboYaYa: you are all beautiful, your words and openness are what make that shine. don't forget how much talent love and beauty you all have.
      so for now, peace love love love more love and happy, and thank you, thank you, thank you
      love Torri

Comment

Same here
        "Love is not for life, it's for one week only" Wass

“You have to stay in shape. My grandmother, she started walking five miles a day when she was 60. She's 97 today and we don't know where the hell she is.” Ellen DeGeners

“You tried your best and you failed miserably. The lesson is 'never try'.” Homer Simpson

“It took me fifteen years to discover I had no talent for writing, but I couldn't give it up, because by that time I was too famous.” Robert Benchley

“What is it with McDonald's staff who pretend they don't understand you unless you insert the 'Mc' before the item you're ordering? It has to be a McChicken burger...a chicken burger gets blank looks. Well, I'll have a McStraw and jam it into your McEyes, you f**cking Mc******!” Billy Connolly

“Before you judge a man, walk a mile in his shoes. After that, who cares? ...He's a mile away and you've got his shoes.” Billy Connolly

Comment

Looks like we are the lucky ones then
          gumboYaYa: you are all beautiful, your words and openness are what make that shine. don't forget how much talent love and beauty you all have.
          so for now, peace love love love more love and happy, and thank you, thank you, thank you
          love Torri

Comment

I have a question! I have a question! And it's really clueless, too, so I hope I came to the right place.

I've been trying to figure out some features of the Forum that I never use, because I don't understand how they work. (Yes, I've been here nearly a year and I still don't know what all the buttons do) . For example, there's a Quick Links Pull-Down for "Today's Posts" and a Menu Bar Button for "New Posts". Right now whether I click either one I end up with the same results, when what I want is just a list of the new posts since I last visited.

What do I need to do to get the results I want?

Comment

Originally posted by Seshat
              What do I need to do to get the results I want?
              Everytime you go away from the forum click quick links and then mark forums read then use new posts to show new posts

If new posts are made in more than 200 threads it will only show the 200 mots recent - theres no way around this limitation

Todays posts shows posts made in the last 24 hours and is also subject to the 200 threads limit
              love Torri

Comment

Originally posted by Qasim
                Everytime you go away from the forum click quick links and then mark forums read then use new posts to show new posts

If new posts are made in more than 200 threads it will only show the 200 mots recent - theres no way around this limitation

Todays posts shows posts made in the last 24 hours and is also subject to the 200 threads limit
                Cool, Qas! You made my day. I knew I must be missing a step somewhere. I tried it and immediately got exactly the results I wanted. Thank you!!

Comment

You can add the new posts button to your favourites right click on this link and select add to favourites/bookmarks http://forum.gateworld.net/search.php?do=getnew

And Mark forums read http://forum.gateworld.net/forumdisplay.php?do=markread
                  love Torri

Comment

Originally posted by Qasim
                    I refuse to help
                    Well, I'd help the other members, I'll answer other people's questions to the best of my abilities. Hell, I've been here longer than Qasim, but ShadowMaat has been here longer than I. So I'll help if I can.
                    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Wass
                      This is sort of question I have noticed people on Ask Mod thread reporting forum loading being really slow, it’s perfectly fine at my end anyone else experiencing the same problem.
                      Yes I have slow load times (the ads are there in a flash ) I have broadband and I live in Australia so I don't think being further away from the DB is the cause.

Yesterday (Friday here) was very bad but it may have been a internet thing because I found my Photo bucket account slow to load as well and that usually is the quickest of everything I use on-line.

But I still maintain GW is the slowest Site of all the Forums I am on it took ages when I first joined (dial-up) and even with BB as I said it is still slow the up-grades made little noticeable difference to this.

Oh and the question I posted in the ATM about the being sent to the 6/7 page of a thread it is still happening, but the clicking on "Mark all threads read" does seem to work but only if I click it every time I visit which isn't exactly user friendly. Anyone have any other ideas about what to do? Besides jumping up and down.

Comment

Originally posted by Drwho'srose
                        Oh and the question I posted in the ATM about the being sent to the 6/7 page of a thread it is still happening, but the clicking on "Mark all threads read" does seem to work but only if I click it every time I visit which isn't exactly user friendly. Anyone have any other ideas about what to do? Besides jumping up and down.
                        Are you sure it's always the 6th/7th page? Try a big thread, like a thunk thread that you've never visited before, and see where it takes you.
                        It seems that since the forum upgrade, the cookies work a little differently. Before, new posts included anything since your last visit. Now, they include anything you've never looked at. For example, if you visit GW everyday and someone made a thread on Oct. 1st, if you visit that thread for the first time on the 20th by clicking the New Posts check, then it will take you back to the first page, not to the posts made since the 19th. If there's a thread you've visited before, but you haven't been there since the 15th, and you go back on the 20th, you will be taken to posts since the 15th, not to posts since your last visit on the 19th.

Personally, I prefer this new method. If I only have time to check up on a couple of threads, but there are new posts in 20 threads I'm subscribed to, then I can leave and come back later, and still go back to the first post that I haven't seen in those threads. Before, I had to back track until I saw familiar posts. But that's just me. If you don't like doing that, then yes, you're going to have to mark all forums read before you log out.

Hope that made sense...
                        gatehorse

lj here if you're interested.

Comment

Originally posted by gatehorse
                          Are you sure it's always the 6th/7th page? Try a big thread, like a thunk thread that you've never visited before, and see where it takes you.

Hope that made sense...
                          Not entirely sure I follow I don't usually use the GW feature like go to new post and stuff, I usually go to the Forum page (with the users on-line at the bottom) and click on threads from there. I'm not subscribed to many threads but I don't have a problem with the ones that I am.

I did think everything was O.K again until I clicked on an Off-Topic thread and ended up half way through it, this was a thread I have never visited before.

Comment

Originally posted by Drwho'srose
                            Not entirely sure I follow I don't usually use the GW feature like go to new post and stuff, I usually go to the Forum page (with the users on-line at the bottom) and click on threads from there. I'm not subscribed to many threads but I don't have a problem with the ones that I am.

I did think everything was O.K again until I clicked on an Off-Topic thread and ended up half way through it, this was a thread I have never visited before.
                            If you haven't visited it before, then new posts are anything since the forum upgrade....I think....
                            gatehorse

lj here if you're interested.

Comment

Qasim thanks for the links, very helpful. I've not got more GW bookmarks in my favourites than anything else! I wish I had just saved as a bookmark the mark as read one and not clicked on it though...

Since the upgrade, the forum has loaded quicker for me. It was appalling before the upgrade, and I think a lot of UK people had trouble. I know a lot do, but for me it has improved.

I've had that problem in the past, with it not marking as read posts I had read. It just went away after a while so I'm afriad I can't offer much help!
                              sigpic

Comment

Heres the new PM link - comes in handy as theres no PM link on profiles anymore

http://forum.gateworld.net/private.php?do=newpm
                                love Torri

Comment

Working...
                                X