This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by knocknashee
    Sorry to interrupt, but it's my understanding that 'whumping', as well as being the act of your favourite character suffering, was also an area of fandom where people, kinda sadistically, enjoyed the fact that their favourite character is getting welted on... (???)
    Whumping is what happens to the character. Yes there are people who prefer that. The fiction though is usually called H&C or Hurt and Comfort.
    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by ShadowMaat
      I thought whumping was something that happened to the characters, not a reaction from the fans?

Like... Evolution is a good example of Danny whumping. He's kidnapped, tortured, half drowned, kicked around and generally beaten up and abused. Whumping = beating. Folks who like whumping like to see their chosen character get hurt... usually because of the "comforting" that comes after (whether it's actually on the show, in fanfics, or just in their own imagination).

Or is that what was said? 'Cause I got the impression you were equating whumping with the sound fans make when they keel over 'cause their favorite character was hurt.

Either that or I've always vastly misunderstood the entire concept of whumping. That's entirely possible.
      Dear God what is the world coming may god help us all.
      "Love is not for life, it's for one week only" Wass

“You have to stay in shape. My grandmother, she started walking five miles a day when she was 60. She's 97 today and we don't know where the hell she is.” Ellen DeGeners

“You tried your best and you failed miserably. The lesson is 'never try'.” Homer Simpson

“It took me fifteen years to discover I had no talent for writing, but I couldn't give it up, because by that time I was too famous.” Robert Benchley

“What is it with McDonald's staff who pretend they don't understand you unless you insert the 'Mc' before the item you're ordering? It has to be a McChicken burger...a chicken burger gets blank looks. Well, I'll have a McStraw and jam it into your McEyes, you f**cking Mc******!” Billy Connolly

“Before you judge a man, walk a mile in his shoes. After that, who cares? ...He's a mile away and you've got his shoes.” Billy Connolly

Comment

Here's an idiot question I thought I'd ask other posters before bugging the mods.

What are those pushpin and paper clip icons by some of the thread titles?

I get the "sticky" and the star ratings, but I've never been able to figure out what those others mean.

Thanks.

(and it took me while but yeah, whump and thunk are two different things)

Comment

I know that "paper clip" icon appears when you have an attachment in a thread

Comment

Yep paperclip is for attachments and the pushpin appears on the sticky's
            gumboYaYa: you are all beautiful, your words and openness are what make that shine. don't forget how much talent love and beauty you all have.
            so for now, peace love love love more love and happy, and thank you, thank you, thank you
            love Torri

Comment

I have a question:

You know that when you get a rep point from oldies here, you can get like 5 at a time, but from newbies only one. I was wondering what determines how many rep points you can give.

Comment

Originally posted by Erised
                I have a question:

You know that when you get a rep point from oldies here, you can get like 5 at a time, but from newbies only one. I was wondering what determines how many rep points you can give.
                A combination of factors:

1. How long you've been a GateWorld member.
                2. How many posts you have (posts that count. Not posts in the off-topic folder).
                3. Your own reputation.

Those three factors plug into some kind of formula that generates the number of rep points you can give others. You may give anywhere from 1 to 5rep points at a time.

Comment

Originally posted by TechnoWraith
                  A combination of factors:

1. How long you've been a GateWorld member.
                  2. How many posts you have (posts that count. Not posts in the off-topic folder).
                  3. Your own reputation.
                  mmm. you learn something new everyday.

I'll answer the factors and you tell me the correct # so I can give people more than 1 rep point

1. May 3rd, 2004
                  2. 1,341 (including this one)
                  3. 151
                  sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by NowIWillDestroyAbydos
                    mmm. you learn something new everyday.

I'll answer the factors and you tell me the correct # so I can give people more than 1 rep point

1. May 3rd, 2004
                    2. 1,341 (including this one)
                    3. 151
                    I don't know the exact formula or how the factors plug into the formula. So i really can't give you a value or answer your question. If you want a more direct answer, trying sending a PM to a mod and asking them.

Comment

darren is pretty much the only one who knows the formula...and he rarely gives details
                      Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Skydiver
                        darren is pretty much the only one who knows the formula...and he rarely gives details
                        okay, that's good to know.
                        sigpic

Comment

I have solved the problem of "you need more characters." I just hit the "change editor" button in the upper right corner. I have no idea why that worked but it did.
                          Last edited by fan457; 31 October 2005, 08:04 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Erised
                            I know that "paper clip" icon appears when you have an attachment in a thread
                            Thanks Erised and Qasim.

Now I have another stupid question. What's an attachment? I know of hyperlinks, and having pictures, but not sure how attachments work in a forum like this. I looked in a paper clip thread, but couldn't find the attachment. (I'm not really this stupid, just ignorant of some internet concepts--no peanut gallery chiming in ).

Thanks again for the help!

Comment

An attachment is when you attach a file such as an image or a wordprocessed document to a thread which others can then view

The feature isnt used much as its easier to use the [img] tag for images and free file hosts for other types of file
                              gumboYaYa: you are all beautiful, your words and openness are what make that shine. don't forget how much talent love and beauty you all have.
                              so for now, peace love love love more love and happy, and thank you, thank you, thank you
                              love Torri

Comment

Im too tired to read the page so are there any questions left unanswered?

Comment

Working...
                                X