This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Unpopular Stargate Opinions Thread -spoilers for all seasons

Trying something that I enjoyed on another board. You know how sometimes you have an opinion that seems to be very unpopular around the board? You're either the only one who feels that way, or in a very small minority? Well, this is the place to air those opinions. Just let loose.

This is absolutely NOT the place to: attack anyone for any opinion about the show. Or to say or imply that they're wrong for their opinions in any way. Or to ue this thread to post opinions about posters. I mean, fine to say "I know a lot of people want to see such and such, but I don't care about it" but not to say "I really can't stand these posters, even if everyone loves them" or something like that. It's opinions about Stargate. This is also not a place to get bogged down in discussion and debate. I'm not sure that will work. Discussing is fun, but can sometimes go sour, and this is just a place to wave your hand and admit to having an opinion that most people don't share. Without recrimination. If you come here, expect someone to have an opinion that is the complete opposite and also maybe something you vehemenately disagree with. Opinions you hate. That's why it's unpopular opinions. Just accept it. Silently. And, I've found with threads like this is that soon you find that more people agree with you than you thought. It usually just takes one person to come and say it out loud and then other people follow.

And, finally, this is not the place to discuss the existance of the thread. I'm going to go out on a limb and start it, and if the mods decide it's not a good idea, then I'm fine with it just being closed, but other than that, their opinion is the only one I'm interested in about whether the thread should exist.

Okay, my list of unpopular opinions in my next post.

*I really do know the difference between their/there/they're. No, really I do.*
    Last edited by Dani347; 05 May 2006, 08:55 AM.
    I'm a girl! A girly girly girl!

Okay, you got me. I can't accept change. This message may look like it was typed on a computer and posted on the internet, but it is actually cave drawings delivered by smoke signals.

Naquada Enhanced Chastity Belts -SG1 edition. On sale now! Heck, I'll give them away

Daniel Jackson Appreciation and Discussion -because he's more than pretty

http://forum.gateworld.net/showthread.php?t=89

Daniel Jackson: The Beacon of Hope and The Man Who Opened the Stargate

Okay, some of my unpopular opinions.

1. I liked Anise/Freya, and was kind of surprised at how much she's disliked pretty much through the entire online fandom. I thought she was an interesting character, and even if Anise couldn't be trusted, she did have good taste

2. I found my tape of One False Step, and enjoyed it a whole lot. Season 2 is filled with great episodes, and One False Step is one of them.

3. I liked Space Race

4. I liked Pete

5. I think Mitchell is leader of SG1 (please refer to set up post). I have no problem with this. If they say on screen in actual words that Sam is co-lead, I will not have a problem with that, although I think she shines particularly as a 2iC.

6. I do not feel that overall the original characters have been sidelined. An episode here and there maybe (but I feel the same thing can be said about Mitchell in an episode here and there) but on the whole I think they've been given some great stuff and good characterization.

7. Speaking of sidelined, I don't think Stronghold was a bad episode for Daniel at all. In fact, for an episode that was definitely not a Daniel episode, I thought he had some very good quality and quantity scenes. And, I didn't feel the ball bouncing was out of character. The one person who could be said to be sidelined in that episode was Sam.

8. I still find Daniel's behavior with Dr.(?) Shen in The Scourge when he invited himself to her table to be pushy and annoying.

9. However, I enjoyed his behavior towards Vala in season 9. But, I am completely opposed to any Daniel/Vala ship.

10. I like Unas episodes

11. I do not think of Stargate as a comedy.

12. If they never build another ship I will be a very happy woman.

13. I have no interest whatsoever in the Furlings

14. I prefer Ba'al with his flanged voice.

15. Sam/Kvasir forever

Okay, you got me. I can't accept change. This message may look like it was typed on a computer and posted on the internet, but it is actually cave drawings delivered by smoke signals.

Naquada Enhanced Chastity Belts -SG1 edition. On sale now! Heck, I'll give them away

Comment

While I didn't like One False Step the first time around, subsequent viewings have made it one of my favorites. The Jack/Daniel banter is fantastic, Teal'c keeping "both eyes on the plant" and Sam's admittance that she talks to her plants are all interesting aspects of the characters.

I think SG-1 could have gone on after S6 without Jack, and definitely after S7if they would have written it right and made it a three man team with a rotating member or a four man team with Jonas, and of course Sam would have been the lead.
      sigpic

Comment

i liked one false step, avenger 2.0, space race, the the other guys, urgo, citizen joe, and GUP and all the unas eps.
        i despise that daniel got the credit for "opening the stargate".
        i don't like barett or lorne.
        i'm not tired of ba'al.
        sigpic
        "Out of the Abyss" (SJ Angst)....................Best New Author.................."Else Close the Wall Up" (Sam)
        Hic Comitas Regit. Welcome to Samanda.

Comment

Originally posted by ParadoxRealities
          i don't like barett
          Funny, I would think my liking Barret was the unpopular opinion around here. And, I think out of the human possibilities, he has the best chemistry with Sam.

eta: I liked Urgo, too.

eta2: Although I occasionally find Mitchell reckless, I in no way find him arrogant or self centered.

Comment

- I like Mitchell more than O'Neill. I like him being an arrogant hothead. Sure, in real life it's not such a great quality, but this is a T.V show and i want to be entertained.

- I think it's refreshing they are getting away from the old formular which went something like:

Travel to plant -> Meet up with Aliens -> Do something/find something that is offensive to us or them -> Get captured -> escape through the stargate

I think ships can offer some new senarios. I don't care if they have been done on other sci-fi shows, because this is the only one i have ever watched.

- I don't mind the fact that Ba'al cloned himself. He is a cool villian, and now the fact that he thinks he is invicable just makes him even cooler.

- I enjoyed the season 9 episodes "The Powers That Be" and "Off the Grid"

- I really like the Mitchell/Jackson banter and one liners
            An all new Stargate spinoff presents

Stargate: The B Team

The galaxy just got a whoooole lot crazier!

Comment

Originally posted by Chutzpah

I think ships can offer some new senarios. I don't care if they have been done on other sci-fi shows, because this is the only one i have ever watched.
              Okay, obviously my opinion differs with the ship thing, but I do agree with the done on other sci fi shows thing. The fact that something has been done before on other shows never really bothers me. When I read spoilers and see something that looks familiar (and I don't watch that many sci-fi shows either, so a lot of times it goes right past me) it doesn't lose points. It's all in the execution of the plot.

Comment

I like Barrett. I like Barrett with Sam. And if Jack and Sam don't get together, I'd be quite happy if she ends up with Barrett.

I liked Citizen Joe. Thought it was hilarious and enjoyed the inside jokes tremendously.
                sigpic

Comment

-- I like Sam best when she's upset or flustered or nonplussed. But when she's being cooly competent, especially in the face of danger, she bores me.

-- I think Daniel and Sam would make a really cute couple.

-- I don't care if military protocol is followed, if the science is 100% accurate, or if the canon is strictly adhered too. I'd rather get all that wrong and be entertained then sit through long-winded exposition to explain all the other things.

-- I think Mitchell has developed quite nicely, with only a couple of exceptions, and I think his demeanor and actions show him to be the leader of the team.

-- I really liked TTTB and Babylon. I didn't care for Prototype.

Comment

I think Vala is a great character

I dont want to See jack back in SG1, EVER

Sam and Jack is something i couldnt care less about, i actually care more about how someone would go about shooting those two with a staff weapon whilst they are kissing, then actually seeing them kissing in the first place

I really like Ronan, he a really great character, hes TEALC but hes a better version than teyla was in the TEALC role of SGA

I think the powers that be have made some major screw ups over the years, first one was S8/S1, Jack shouldnt have came back, he should have died fighting in antartica, Weir should have continued as SGC head and have daniel lead atlantis.

I think the Ship battles are really good, im enjoying them, i do want to see ground battles though.

I liked pete, i think sam was wrong to not marry him.

Wormhole extreame is an idiots episode, it has stupidity laced within it until, at least for 10seconds their is a brilliant moment of genius

I think the 5 episode arc of S8 was great, they + the lost city 2parts and rising and WoO are the best episodes of stargate ever, they cant be beaten

Sokar should have had a longer run

anubis was a great villain,

the ori are a joke; on several fronts: They are a race of anubis' lacking in all origionality, they simply killed on one anubis then created a new galaxy for him to duplicate out of.
                    Im looking forward to the SGC getting a good kicking at the ori, it might actually make us do some fighting - did you see stronghold, he ran through a hatak, i dont think SG1 has done that much running in a hatak EVER! he beat the SG1 running record in 1 scene, how he got to Lt. colonel i have no idea

I like mitchel (yes i know i just ranted about him)

The wraith are space vampires

Walter should be replaced with a DHD ( seriously! )

when the hell are we going to see the damn furlings, cos i do care!

I may add more but this has helped me clear the SG air:
                    Immhotep
                    sigpic
                    You are the fifth race, your role is clear, if there is any hope in preserving the future it lies with you and your people ~ 8years for those words
                    Stargate : Genesis |
                    Original Starship DesignThread
                    Sanctuary for all | http://virtualfleet.vze.com/
                    11000! green me

Comment

I like the ep. Space Race

I like the ep. Wormhole X-treme whether it's the 100th ep. or 102nd ep.

Comment

I'm ambivalent about Jack's return. I haven't missed him, but I'm not totally opposed. As long as there is no ship in any of his episodes and he's not the walking dead Jack, and has some good scenes with the team, I'll probably enjoy his appearance. But, if he never came back, I wouldn't care.

I have no intention of buying any dvds, magazines, or figurines devoted to Stargate. I may be a fan, but I'm a cheap fan.
                        Last edited by Dani347; 03 May 2006, 03:46 PM.

Comment

I'd prefer to be host to a Goa'uld than have the life sucked out of me by a Wraith.

I think it's funny that the Wraith males wear dresses.

I too liked Space Race.

To see a picture of me in the Miss Teen America pageant, click here.

Comment

I think Mitchell should be commanding SG-1. However, I completely understand why the majority of fandom doesn't like this.

I feel this way because Amanda was pregnant at the time and as a result, it was unavoidable that Ben would be made the lead in the show, and on the team.

That said, Mitchell was expecting to be a subordinate member of SG-1 when he arrived. TPTB could have made him a Major and placed him in charge of the mission in Beachhead but turned command of the unit back over to Sam once the mission was concluded.

Although, it could make sense that Mitchell remain in command for two main reasons: 1) Sam does have experience leading SG-1, but there could always be the possibility that she doesn't particularly want the job.

2) Mitchell doesn't have any other skills (besides flying 303's) or responsibilities (so far) outside of SG-1. Teal'c has the Jaffa, which has taken him away from many SG-1 missions in the past. Daniel (who wouldn't want command to begin with) is chief archaelogist and has a myriad of duties which might require him to skip-out on missions, which has happened in the past. Finally, Sam is the de-facto chief scientist and resident brain; she has plenty of side-projects (not counting her bike) and responsibilities which have routinely taken her out of the mission loop.

Given that, were Sam the head of SG-1; she would either have to give up her other duties, or she would have to turn over command of SG-1 to Mitchell anyway.

It just makes storytelling a lot less unwieldy. You can still do the episodes where Mitchell and Teal'c go off on a mission together, while Sam helps out on Odyssey and Daniel helps dig up some clay pots on a moon.

On the other hand. . . all these problems are fixed by a line or two of dialogue.

On another note: (SGA Spoilers for S3)

Spoiler:
                            I'm thrilled that the Replicators are being worked in. I liked the Replicators, and I feel that their demise was premature (and probably wouldn't have happened had season 9's confirmation come down the pipe sooner). I also like knowing that the origin of the Replicators could sink up, time-wise, with a fan-fic I'm working on which deals with it.

That personal (and non-canon) selfishness aside, it'll be nice, one way or the other, to know the origin for the Replicators. I always had a feeling that the Ancients might have been responsible.

I'm neutral on seeing the bug-form Replicators again. It doesn't seem like we'll be hearing that lovely mechanical whirr again, but if they decide to toss the bugs in anyway, I won't be upset. The major problem I see with the storyline is the fact that, since these Replicators are different from the Replicarter breed, our disruptor should work on them.

Then again, Jack built the disruptor with informatoin gleamed from the Ancient Database, so it's more than possible that these bugs have immunity aswell.

More-over, Jack's going to Atlantis!!!!!!!!!!

Originally posted by EmmaPeel
                            I miss Thor and Maybourne. Not too many people mention them, so it seems as if they are not all that popular.
                            Kvasir is fun. . . but I miss the hell out of Thor (and I bet Michael misses getting two paychecks).

As for Maybourne. . . HELL YES I miss him. Harry was a great character. I think he had the best character development after Daniel (sorry, I do disagree with you on that point, I think Daniel is a lot less one-dimensional now). I just love any character that go from being the one-dimensional bad guy without a conscience who's heart is in the right place, to the multi-layered not-so-bad guy with a conscience and who's heart is really in the right place.

I also like Woolsey. I like him, because I hate him. And I hate him because, 1) he's wrong, and 2) I see the things I don't like about myself in him. He's an armchair quarterback with perfect 20/20 hindsight. I'm guilty as hell of being the above. But his heart is in the right place, and he's just trying to the best he can for his country and for the planet. And you can't hate a guy for trying to the right thing, even if he's wrong about certain things.
                            Last edited by Bragi; 03 May 2006, 05:20 PM.

Comment

I loved Daniel in S1-5. Since his descension, I do NOT like how the character has been written, how his actor portrays him and I would not care at all if Daniel Jackson left the show. That's probably the most unpopular opinion I have.

I think the show has gone downhill totally since the beginning of S7. I have the DVDs of S1-6, but would never spend the money for the rest.

I did NOT think S6 was awful (even though I preferred Daniel over Jonas.) I thought there were some very well-written episodes and some misses, just like in every other season.

I really really really am so tired of seeing Teal'c in those sleeveless muscle T-shirt. Enough already, CJ, we know you have a ribbed body and huge biceps.

I think Mitchell is a bust, but apparently I'm not alone in that so I don't think that's really an opinion that's out of the mainstream.

I miss Thor and Maybourne. Not too many people mention them, so it seems as if they are not all that popular.
                              Last edited by EmmaPeel; 03 May 2006, 05:26 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X