Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

"Doctor Who - The Movie" Appreciation Thread.

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

"Doctor Who - The Movie" Appreciation Thread.

Ok. It has its faults. But hey, what doesn't?

I was looking at my classic Who DVD collection and I started thinking about the fact the movie is on the end. It is the last of the classic series.

And hey, what a way to go! Ending classic who with a movie and a new doctor and closing one of the longest running plot arcs - The Master.

I mean, imagine if you had all the classic Who on DVD, the movie is where it all ends. A great series, ending, in what I believe to be a great movie, with one of the best villains of all time. And at least it gave closure to McCoy's doctor as well.

So go on, let the Movie appreciation run wild. It gets a bad write up most of the time.

"Five Rounds Rapid"

sigpic

I liked it, the only thing I'm upset about is that you can't get it on DVD in the states
    Tis No Fool to lose what He can not keep, To gain what he will never Lose

Comment

Originally posted by creed462
      I liked it, the only thing I'm upset about is that you can't get it on DVD in the states
      That surprises me, Id have thought Fox would have published it themselves...

"Five Rounds Rapid"

sigpic

Comment

The inside of the Tardis is pretty cool and Paul McGann rocks my socks. The line about his shoes fitting perfectly always cracks me up.

Comment

There were a few things I liked about this film;

1) After years of no Who, it was so good to see Sylvestor McCoy again! He just brought this touch of class to it.

2) Paul McGann was a wonderful Doctor! I wish I could have seen more of him in the role.

3) The TARDIS control room was my total favorite of all the control rooms. Just a beautiful set. I figure it was a redecorated second control room from the Tom Baker era. Maybe he redecorated this one when he did the one he is currently traveling in.
          My favorite Doctor Who websites;

Each episode in amazing detailed notes
          Build a Dalek
          Build a TARDIS
          Dedicated to Pamela Nash, the woman who caused a ton of Who episodes to be missing
          The Police Box Website

KNOW YOUR ROLE, AND SHUT YOUR MOUTH!!

Comment

Nope we've been waiting for years

Comment

one of the few movies where Eric Roberts was palateable.
              Thanks!
              Jordan

my page
              My LJ
              From now on, our name will be 'Tenac'.

Comment

Its good but it could have been much better. Such as more Sylvester McCoy. Closure for Ace, Chang Lee staying with the Doctor and the Master not being So America. Still it is a good story.
                Oh Yes the Sam is Back and hes more Sci-fied up than ever !!!!!!!!!

Coming Soon a new Banner from Me

Comment

But the Master took over an american, he needed to blend in

Comment

Originally posted by Metarock Sam
                    Doctor and the Master not being So American.
                    I thought the Master being American added an extra special level of evilness to him!!

j/k american friends.
                    Thanks!
                    Jordan

my page
                    My LJ

Comment

I do remembering waiting in anticipation for the film to be aired, as it had been eight or so years since I last caught an episode or two.

I did enjoy the film at the time, wouldn't mind watching the film again, actually. Paul McGann suited the role to a tee, but I'm glad it wasn't made into a series. It might've been cancelled (again) and it would definitely be different from the series we have today.

I think it was the right decision to wait until now to relaunch the series.
                      "Captain, you almost make me believe in luck."

Comment

Agreed. I think a joint Fox/BBC production of a new series would have been frankly awful as it really would have lost everything that makes Who Who. But the movie itself I think was a fantastic one off. I enjoyed the camper Master, he was hilarious. And the Doctor of course was great. The TARDIS interior is definitely memorable and the plot, whilst being a little wooly (I get why opening the eye of harmony screwed things up, but I dont see why Midnight was the deadline, and I can't for the life of me understand why travelling back in time to before they arrived did ANYTHING to save the day. perculiar. However, it was a typical Dr Who style plot, and if you look at the plots of some of the earlier episodes, then its no worse really.

I have no issue with the Snakey Master thing. But thats only because Ive read "The Eight Doctors" which explains it nicely.

It also has the greatest opening music ever. The best version of the theme so far.

"Five Rounds Rapid"

sigpic

Comment

I haven't got the eight doctors yet, how is that explained

Comment

SPOILERS

On the planet where the Master is stranded in the classic series, he encounters a tribe who have discovered a creature called a deathworm iirc. The deathworm is consumed and upon the "hosts" death, their essence will live on in the death worm, and they can then seek out a new host much in the way a Goa'uld does. The deathworm can survive all manner of assaults, including disintrigration.

"Five Rounds Rapid"

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Flying Officer Bennett
                              SPOILERS

On the planet where the Master is stranded in the classic series, he encounters a tribe who have discovered a creature called a deathworm iirc. The deathworm is consumed and upon the "hosts" death, their essence will live on in the death worm, and they can then seek out a new host much in the way a Goa'uld does. The deathworm can survive all manner of assaults, including disintrigration.
                              i gotta get me one.
                              Thanks!
                              Jordan

my page
                              My LJ

Comment

Working...
                              X