No announcement yet.

Grace (713)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm also tired of critics saying Sam has gotten too soft. You're right. She's just being shown as a whole individual, just like most of us are. I posted this comment (that addresses the "girly" issue) in another thread a few days ago:

No matter what type of fiction it is, characters that aren't allowed to grow, change and react to their experiences become one-dimensional caricatures over time. I have seen some comments online about how the "ship" has ruined Sam's character, but I strongly disagree. In everyone's life, no matter how tough and smart and accomplished you are, there's someone who affects you so much that you turn into a blubbering mass of jelly. I actually think Sam has kept her professionalism well, considering the way Jack affects her. And he's a blubbering mass of jelly behind that stony face. We are all the sum total of our experiences. And, as we meet people, work with people, get close to people, we develop relationships built on common experience. I think the evolution of their relationship is very believable, and I think Amanda plays Sam's strengths and her vulnerabilities all so well. And she can also tell you so much about how Sam is feeling by just a gesture or a touch. I think she's an incredible actress!

Comment

Could someone answer a question for me? I usually dissect all the "ship" episodes, etc., but part of the exchange between Sam and Imaginary Jack in "Grace" has always puzzled me. It's listed below, and my question is this: If Sam feels Jack is so unobtainable, why is he a "safe bet"?

CARTER: Came to give me a pep talk?

O'NEILL: That's what friends are for.

CARTER: Friends?

O'NEILL: Hey. This is you talking here. Might as well be honest.

CARTER: What if I quit the Air Force? Would that change anything or is it just an excuse?

O'NEILL: I would never ask you to give up your career.

CARTER: Because you don't feel anything for me?

O'NEILL: Carter.

CARTER: I'd let you go right now if I knew.

O'NEILL: That easy?

CARTER: I didn't say it would be easy.

O'NEILL: Then what's stopping you if you really wanna know?

CARTER: I'm trying.

O'NEILL: Maybe it's not me that's the problem here. Let's face it, I'm not that complex.

CARTER: Me?

O'NEILL: Sam. I'm a safe bet.

CARTER: As long as I'm thinking about you, setting my sights on what I think is unobtainable, there's no chance of being hurt by someone else.

O'NEILL: Jacob was right. You deserve more. I will always be there for you, no matter what. Believe me.

CARTER: So what now?

O'NEILL: Go save your ass.

Comment

Jack is a "safe bet" because he's unobtainable (due to regulations that forbid romantic relationships between two officers).

Because Jack and Sam can never be together as they are, Sam doesn't have to risk the possible pains/disappointments that a relationship in the "real world" encompasses. Especially in a relationship that means more to her than any other she has previously experienced......

Going hand-in-hand with that, I think also that due to her track record in romantic relationships (her former romantic interests all seem to die), she may be afraid of embarking on any others. It's emotionally safer for her to hang on to a "relationship" that hangs halfway between reality and fantasy, always kind of "there-but-not-there", never amounting to anything tangible.......always slightly out of reach.

What I found interesting about this episode was hearing what Sam's subconscious expected each of her friends to say to her in her fight for survival. Teal'c's dialogue stressed physical survival. Daniel's, mental/intellectual. Jack's and Jacob's, emotional.......

I'm sure others could express it better than I have, but that's my take on it!
        I hope it all made sense......

Comment

Thanks! I like your take on it. All I could get out of it was that he was a "safe bet" because she knew if she was willing to give up something professionally, their relationship could become reality.

I'm just hoping for a positive resolution to their years of angst and yearning in S9. I don't even have to see it! Just so it's explained in script and TPTB acknowledge that they're together! However, seeing it would be even better, even if it's in flashback.

Any other interpretations?

Comment

I thought 'safe bet' meant that they couldn't have a relationship so it was 'safe' for her emotionally to fall for him cos it would never go anywhere, as opposed to a real boyfriend who might want more - like commitment, marriage and all that dangerous jazz.

Madeleine

Comment

Originally posted by Madeleine_W
              I thought 'safe bet' meant that they couldn't have a relationship so it was 'safe' for her emotionally to fall for him cos it would never go anywhere, as opposed to a real boyfriend who might want more - like commitment, marriage and all that dangerous jazz.
              yeah you are correct but I don't think that Jack would be a save bet. I still wonder what kind of Race was that ship??
              Lord Zedd

Comment

Originally posted by _Anubis
                yeah you are correct but I don't think that Jack would be a save bet. I still wonder what kind of Race was that ship??
                My guess is the fuzzy wuzzy Furlings...

...You're ALWAYS Welcome in Samanda: Amanda's Community of New Fans and Old Friends...

Comment

Originally posted by sg-1fanintn
                  Thanks! I like your take on it. All I could get out of it was that he was a "safe bet" because she knew if she was willing to give up something professionally, their relationship could become reality.

I'm just hoping for a positive resolution to their years of angst and yearning in S9. I don't even have to see it! Just so it's explained in script and TPTB acknowledge that they're together! However, seeing it would be even better, even if it's in flashback.

Any other interpretations?

I'm also hoping for a positive, definite, tangible resolution even if it's reduced to nothing more than a passing comment by Daniel or Teal'c about the beautiful engagement ring Sam is wearing!!! Or a photo on Sam's shelf of Sam and Jack's elopement!! (Excuse my imagination taking off........)

I really hope TPTB will indulge us with something a little more detailed than that though. I think the characters of Sam and Jack deserve more than a passing nod......

Like you, I'd like to see it with my own eyes, right up there on the screen!

Comment

UberSG-1Fan, I just wanted to tell you how great your signature is! (I could watch it over and over----and I have, on occasion!)

Comment

Originally posted by SimilarCadence
                      I'm also hoping for a positive, definite, tangible resolution even if it's reduced to nothing more than a passing comment by Daniel or Teal'c about the beautiful engagement ring Sam is wearing!!! Or a photo on Sam's shelf of Sam and Jack's elopement!! (Excuse my imagination taking off........)

I really hope TPTB will indulge us with something a little more detailed than that though. I think the characters of Sam and Jack deserve more than a passing nod......

Like you, I'd like to see it with my own eyes, right up there on the screen!
                      Me too! If they just get a random comment about, 'oh Sam and Jack are off on their honeymoon', as great as it would be to know that they ended up together, I'd be really disappointed. After so many years of angst I at least want to see their first real kiss! (That, you know, they both remember and isn't effectively wiped out by time turning back i.e. WoO)

Something so important to half of the main cast deserves some more attention, I'm not asking for like them being all cute and fluffy throughout every single episode they're together, as TPTB won't want to alienate the noromo's, but I definitely think we (and Sam and Jack!) deserve some sort of resolution that we get to see!
                      Uncontrolled Destiny
                      My Atlantis Music Videos (Shep/Weir and Misc.)

Comment

in this episode when Carter tells the alien ship what she wants and in return she will help the out...when the crew appears what dose it look like...an asgard beam, i think it might have been a race that stole it from them or it was the asgard them self

Comment

Originally posted by Ancient665
                          in this episode when Carter tells the alien ship what she wants and in return she will help the out...when the crew appears what dose it look like...an asgard beam, i think it might have been a race that stole it from them or it was the asgard them self
                          If it was an Asgard beam, I believe that the race stole it from them. If it was the Asgard, we would have know it almost immediately.

Comment

[QUOTE=sg-1fanintn]Could someone answer a question for me? I usually dissect all the "ship" episodes, etc., but part of the exchange between Sam and Imaginary Jack in "Grace" has always puzzled me. It's listed below, and my question is this: If Sam feels Jack is so unobtainable, why is he a "safe bet"?

I wanna throw my thoughts on this, my idea of why Sam sees Jack as a safe bet is simply cos they love each other the zatarc detector confirmed it but they knew before this even (IMO) they just agreed to ignore it. So Jack remains unobtainable because despite this love both know they will never break the regs or give up the SGC at least until all their goals are achieved. Again IMO.
                            This makes the way the kiss plays out even more intense for me as Sam realises she can only ever imagine what it would be like between them even if she is not sure (at the time) of what was real.

Comment

Heres my thoughts on the episode as a whole I can see why a lot of people might not like it and am surprised only a couple of posts picked up on how much of a star trek feel it has,but for my part that was deliberate those writers enjoy messing with our heads for sure.
                              The way the storyline allowed us to see sg1 from Sam's perspective was a brillant touch, and you can see how much fun the actors had putting a new spin on their respective characters not sure if thats a good thing or not to see the actors and not the character but its always a plus for me when I pick up on details like that and has never detracted from the enjoyment I have from stargate.
                              It made a pleasant change to have an episode purely concerned with the people themselves not saving the word or universe or whatever more like this please.

Comment

An interesting yet cofusing epsidoe, what was the point?

Comment

Working...
                                X