Grace (713)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by zats
    Okay, okay, I know I've already posted some stuff on this ep, but to all the naysayers, I can only say: get over it. I like this episode and I'm putting off homework to boot.
    Oh, I'm over it... I'll never watch it again...
    *yawn*
    Originally posted by S.G.C
    An interesting yet cofusing epsidoe, what was the point?
    Not much as far as I can see... Sam gets epiphanous moment and we see it get played out in 40 something minutes... A warm fuzzy episode for Sam fans but not much for the rest of us...
    sigpic
    "When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth"

Comment

Originally posted by SimilarCadence
      Zats writes:

"Some critics have said that Sam seems weak and girly. Yes, she cries. Yes, she has a few heart-to-hearts with herself. Yes, it reveals a new vulnerablity we hadn't seen before. No, she isn't blasting goa'uld spacecraft into oblivion or waving a P-90. But none of those make her 'weak' or 'girly'. They make her real."

Well, better late than never! (It's a little longer than a week and a half....) What a relief to hear someone say this!
      Yes. Heck she saved the whole crew while suffering from a massive concussion. As far as her teary moments, I've heard people often get that way with concussions. (not to mention that thinking you will probably die alone in space might make anyone a little contemplative and emotional).
      Not my favorite episode ever, but a great showcase for AT.

Comment

This was OK, but loses some points because, except for Sam's visions, not much of the rest of the team.

Who were the aliens?

What trip was this of the Prometheus? Was this them finally bringing it back from the Tegaren (Memento), homeworld?

Comment

i really wasnt too pleased with this episode...i still really dont understand it too much but it seemed a bit out of place and random, sam hits her head, wakes up, and the crew is gone...she then encounters all sorts of people
          "A general is only as good as the people he commands."

Comment

I was just wondering if it was possible that the ship was of Ori origin. The ship sort of has that open circle look to it that same as that head Ori guy had behind his head. Maybe maybe not I don't know just a guess.
            Just my humble 18 year old conservative opinion.

Comment

Amanda Tapping played very well! Like the others actors actually..

I love this episode because I'm a fan of the Sam/Jack relationship and i loved the conversation they've had in the ship!!

The end of the episode was great too! I love when Sam said "Jack" ..Great!Great!Great!!

My blog : http://stargateguyz.blogtrafic.com

Comment

Originally posted by Emily
                The end of the episode was great too! I love when Sam said "Jack" ..Great!Great!Great!!
                Let's face it...who doesn't?

[To NOROMOS: Quiet, you]

Comment

personally I really liked Grace. It a good Character Ep. It seems that people who don't like this ep want Carter to be something other than want she has become a very lonely Character. Sure she has her work but after that what keeps her going every day? I'm personally just getting back into Stargate after being gone from it since around the middle of the fourth season. This ep is nice to me because its a odd little charcter story something you don't see to often.
                  "Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, Champagne in one hand - strawberries in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming WOW - What a RIDE!"

Comment

Originally posted by S.G.C
                    An interesting yet cofusing epsidoe, what was the point?
                    I think Grace is one of those eps either people get or they don't. I happened originally to fall into that second category...but then I gave it some thought and would like to see if I can answer your question.

Grace was about Samantha Carter the person. We've seen Samantha Carter the scientist, the soldier, the friend, the daughter...Grace rolls all of that up and gets past all the things that usually defines her (typically the way she pulls a solution out of her...uh...head) and just leaves her.

She's typically a force of nature who blazes through the stargate on a near daily basis and lives off of the adrenaline fueled rush she gets from her work...but here, she's just herself.

And the hallucinations begin...each a different aspect of her personality...each either helping or hindering her from figuring things out.

So there she is, all by herself, marooned on a space ship with a serious head injury. She has to save herself but everything she tries, fails...leaving her time to think; about how to escape, sure, but also about her life, her goals, her objectives.

And for the first time in who knows how long, Samantha stops and really considers what she wants for herself beyond the naquadah reactors and P90's. Her "father" helps her see that she's missing out on a deep, rich committed relationship because she feared that any serious relationship would end in heartache. "Jack" helped her consider the possibility that maybe her feelings for him were based on the fact that he was out of reach.

So at the end of Grace, we saw Sam kinda say "goodbye" to Jack...she was going to move on and get that life that she had finally given herself permission to experience. The Sam at the beginning of the episode was profoundly different from the Sam at the end of the episode.

Now fortunately for me (and tons of others, I'll bet), Sam realizes that her original sense about her feelings for Jack were wrong...that her feelings for Jack were geniune...and that her attempt to have that "life" wouldn't work no matter how hard she tried hammering that square peg in and ignoring the red flags...IF it wasn't the right guy. But that's later.

So Grace was a Samantha Carter introspective...where she was FORCED to confront the areas of her life she'd been ignoring.

Brilliantly acted and great character growth episode.

Last edited by Uber; 11 September 2005, 04:18 PM.

...You're ALWAYS Welcome in Samanda: Amanda's Community of New Fans and Old Friends...

Comment

Amazing Grace

Amazing Grace, how sweet the sound,
                      That saved a wretch like me....
                      I once was lost but now am found,
                      Was blind, but now, I see.

T'was Grace that taught
                      my heart to fear.
                      And Grace, my fears relieved.
                      How precious did that Grace appear
                      the hour I first believed.

Through many dangers, toils and snares
                      we have already come.
                      T'was Grace that brought us safe thus far
                      and Grace will lead us home.

Yea, when this flesh and heart shall fail,
                      and mortal life shall cease,
                      I shall possess within the veil,
                      A life of joy and peace.

Amazing Grace, how sweet the sound,
                      That saved a wretch like me....
                      I once was lost but now am found,
                      Was blind, but now, I see.

-lyrics from various artists, I claim no ownership of these lyrics

Is it just me, or does that song just fit this episode? This was just a mindless, pointless post. A waste of space. Sorry.
                      LaNd Of ThE LoSt
                      LaNd Of ThE LoSt

Comment

i am just wondering if the sence with jack wasn't there, would people react less badly with this episode.

Comment

Originally posted by kiya
                          i am just wondering if the sence with jack wasn't there, would people react less badly with this episode.
                          If I knew what you were trying to ask, kiya, I'd try to answer your question . Please use proper spelling, grammar, and punctuation; it makes it so much easier for the rest of us!

(I know, I know, I am a pedantic grammar geek.)
                          My LiveJournal.

If you can find a path with no obstacles, it probably doesn't lead anywhere.
                          -Frank A. Clark

An optimist may see a light where there is none, but why must the pessimist always run to blow it out?
                          -Michel de Saint-Pierre

Now, there's this about cynicism. It's the universe's most supine moral position. Real comfortable. If nothing can be done, then you're not some kind of **** for not doing it, and you can lie there and stink to yourself in perfect peace.
                          -Lois McMaster Bujold, "The Borders of Infinity"

Comment

I am sorry, English is not my first language, so i have alot of trouble with express my point with the correct grammar and spelling.

What I was trying to say is that there must be quite a lot of people dislike this episode, it was voted out early in the episode tournament. I don’t see this episode too different to other stargate episode. She got into an unknown situation where she is in danger then gets herself and other people out of it. I know from earlier post that the uncertainty of Grace does not sit well with people but there are other episodes where other characters are not define. I was thinking that if the part about Carter’s relationship (i.e. the scene with Jack and Jacob) were not in this episode, would some peoples feel less dislike to this episode.
                            (I have tried my best to correct the grammar, but I am sure that there will be mistake)

Comment

Originally posted by kiya
                              For what it's worth your grammar is fine, and your spelling is better than plenty of British & American people I know

I would certainly have reacted better if the scene with Jack and the imaginary kiss hadn't been there. I'd have found Grace watchable rather than actually unpleasant. That scene made Sam look pretty daft, longing for a man who she can't even talk to properly, when we all know she could talk it all through and possibly move to a different team if she wants him - being prepared to give everything up for him if she knew he felt the same but not being prepared to give up a weeny piece of time from her life to ASK him.

The rest of the ep was much more flattering to her - as you say, she gets herself and colleagues out of danger. The rest of the ep had potential to explore more parts of Sam's psyche, and i'd have liked that.

Madeleine

Comment

My take on Grace:

This is one of the "deepest" episodes of Stargate SG1 ive ever watched, and it is in my opinion one of the best written and acted character development episodes of any show... ever. When most people think "character development" they think "they ran out of VFX budget and need a low cost filler ep", this is the case with alot of ST character episodes, but Grace is so much different.

Watching this episode I felt I was getting a better understanding for Sam's character, this episode was adding somthing that the previous seasons havent yet, sam's image of herself, her teammates, her relationships, wants and needs. I believe "Grace" was a bit more than Sam's inner child. I believe it was an entire part of her that she never lets out, a part she never even acknowledges. The emotional, playful, happy little girl that got locked away when she became "sam the soldier". When Grace was blowing the bubbles and Sam started to explain it, then Grace says "BORING!" and gets sam to try, Sam finds the way to save herself. Sam is always thinking so hard about stuff, she doesnt look at the basic. Look at Jack's moments of genius, he sees things simply, childlike, and Sam expands upon that. Grace is a part of her less serious and doesnt over analyze everything.

Aside from that, her minds image of her teammates is great. How she takes aspects of herself and visualizes sg1 as thm. Teal'c the cautious (and a bit paranoid) part of her, Daniel the abstract and wonderous part, Jacob her deep desires. It would sense to pick her father, he would be the one most able to see through Sam and recognise what she really wants
                                Spoiler:
                                (near the end of threads!)
                                <-(did I do that right?)

The Final, and most dramatic part, would be Sam's conversation with Jack (lets remember here, this is SAMS IMAGE OF JACK, so how she sees him) This is incredibly meaningful, espically for all the shippers out there! What I got out of this was that Sam loves jack, but she doesnt know if he loves her back. Sam wants to be loved, and she knows even if Jack loved her they couldnt because of regs, and they both know it. Sam has been setting her sights on Jack, something she knows she cant get, to keep her from falling for someone else and being hurt. Jacks "I'm a safe bet" and "jacobs right you deserve more" are VERY IMPORTANT!! Sam thinks (IMO quite correctly) that Jack wants sam to be happy, he knows they cant be togeather under the current circumstances and he doesnt want her to be unhappy because of him. Jack is okay with Sam getting a boyfriend (pete) (maybe not okay, but understanding and accepting) because he wants her to be happy more than he wants her for himself, shows how much he loves her eh? alot. And by "im a safe bet" he means that even if sam gets another boyfriend, he will still always be there for her when she needs him. He wont hold a grudge or hold it against her. If things dont work out with other guys, he will still be there for her.

Grace was a set up of kinds for the whole pete deal, it just showed how Sam / Jack's relationship is so strong and how they really are meant for eachother.

So theres my take... long post

And as for the kiss, of course Sam wanted it... "but the never mind" is her realising consols dont make good imaginary kissing partners. Plus she kinda had to save herself so she could do it for real

Comment

Working...
                                X