No announcement yet.

Thirty Eight Minutes (104)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

So far Shep, McKay, Beckett and maybe Halling are the only ones with good character development and strong established personalities.
    well i think that Wier is alos developed, not much....Becket is, imho, as developed as Wier....Teyla is very undeveloped and that makes me sad :*(

Comment

I enjoyed this episode and am liking SG-Atlantis so far. Really disliked that American scientist. Weir can shove him through a wormhole anytime now. Other than that, the episode was good.

Just an observation. When Shepard hit Lt. Ford, it jarred the PJ a little causing it to slide into the gate a bit. Why didn’t they all start to rock the PJ. As I was watching, I was like why didn’t they just start “rocking” the PJ to get it unstuck. And at the end, I too would have been like Ford and ramming the front of the PJ to get it moving, but I did think that the gate “sucked “ things through once they entered the event horizon.

Just a nitpick here but, it really bothered me, and I’m not in the medical profession. Okay, Ford shocked Shepard to stop his heart. Fine. But then when they go to revive him, they should have been doing CPR because you are supposed to only shock someone who has a detectable rhythm. (I think I am remembering this right because some volunteer fire fighters came to a health class I was teaching about 2 years ago and demonstrate the use of an AED, and I believe they said the AED will not work if it detects that the person has no detectable rhythm. Thus you must do CPR.) Same goes for Dr. Becket when they got back to Atlantis. I know this is not a medical show, and it’s easier to zap ‘em rather than fake CPR, but that makes Becket look poorly trained, and I like Dr. Becket, as well as, Shepard and Ford. I also agree that the writers need to tone down McKay’s gloom and doom attitude. Still like him though. Not very enthralled with Weir and Teyla.

Oh did I mention it was a great episode. Keep it up.
      IMO always implied.

Comment

Originally posted by Newbie
        sorry i guess i screwed it up....by their homeworld i ment Teyla's homeworld.
        Gotcha. My fault for interpreting it the way I wanted rather than the way it read.

So the bugs are on multiple worlds. I can accept that.

How do the Athosians explore the gate system? If some gates are in orbit, you can't exactly go around dialing in gate addresses and then holding your breath before you go through...

Comment

De-lurking here and responding to LoneStar's good catch...

I am in the medical profession, and I'm a tad dismayed to see that Dr. Beckett, Lord love him, apparently graduated from the same medical school as Dr. Dana Scully.

First up, it's actually quite hard to induce a heart-stopping shock with a defibrillator, contrary to widespread belief. (You've literally got to time the shock so it hits right on the "R" wave of the cardiac cycle...chances of doing that on the first zap are very slim.)

I have no idea why the good doctor advised Ford to "lubricate" the paddles. (and indeed he did, with what looked like K-Y jelly. Ewww.) You either use electroconductive paste or gel - or gel pads, those orange square thingies you see when Beckett's running the code after the jumper gets through the gate. Either way, Shep should have received some nice burns on his chest to go along with the "hickey." Gel pads are (or should be) kept with all defibrillator units.

Yup, an AED would have made more sense to bring along rather than a "real" defibrillator unit. They're pretty much idiot-proof, they're lighter, and they're cheaper...they just aren't as impressive.

LoneStar's right, when Beckett's attempting to resuscitate Shep all the defibrillation in the world would not have been effective as he was in asystole (absence of electrical activity). What he needed was CPR and the appropriate drugs...not that Beckett could possibly have seen what rhythm Shep was in as he took the paddles (ie, the monitor) off his chest between shocks. I'm not even going to mention the fact that the defib unit was one of those models that have a running stopwatch in the corner of the screen, to help the "recorder" person during a code (everything is documented) - the unit had been running almost 30 minutes. Not an unrealistic time span for a real code; but a code 30 minutes long without CPR, a secure airway and IV access? Shep, if he had survived, would have been rendered a drooling turnip.

Apparently there are no infirmary beds with side rails on Atlantis, and I'm glad the patients are clothed in fetching red scrubs, complete with a nice white T-shirt underneath.

Don't get me wrong, I love this show, and this ep pretty much rocked - I just dislike X-Files medicine.
          We suspend our disbelief, and we are entertained...

Comment

Spoilers below

Did anyone else think it was strange that the bug reacted to salt and water (they weren't sure which or a combination thereof)? Doesn't human blood contain both?
            A student once asked his teacher, "Master, what is enlightenment?"
            The master replied, "When hungry, eat. When tired, sleep."

Comment

Originally posted by zen.monki
              Spoilers below

Did anyone else think it was strange that the bug reacted to salt and water (they weren't sure which or a combination thereof)? Doesn't human blood contain both?
              Hence my question about the purpose of those finger guards they wear. Still seems kinda dangerous, feeding off something that is full of something poisonous to you. We aren't like blowfish, y'know, where it's just one little bit to avoid...

re the defribulators- I really wondered about that, too. Glad to know I was right to question it.

Comment

Originally posted by LoneStar1836
                Just an observation. When Shepard hit Lt. Ford, it jarred the PJ a little causing it to slide into the gate a bit.
                If I understand you right -- and I've got the right scene -- the Jumper went slide forward a little because McKay was distracted by events and accidently touched something wrong on the panel.

We taped both SG1 and Atlantis because I had to work. If you look closely, there's a cut to McKay watching events, a little flash on his panel, and then a panicky look on McKay's face. We had to rewind it twice to make sure we saw it right. Tha little flash probably caused the engines to fire a little, which cause the breach in the compartment doors.
                RDA: "It may be balsa, but it's still wood."

Comment

Incidentally, was I the only one expecting chocolate to be the thing that would get a violent reaction from the bug?

Comment

Originally posted by ShadowMaat
                    Incidentally, was I the only one expecting chocolate to be the thing that would get a violent reaction from the bug?
                    Nope. One of my housemates was yelling "Try the chocolate!" at the TV...

Can you just imagine it:

"Fork over the Hershey's, buster - or the Major gets it!"

Comment

Originally posted by ShadowMaat
                      Yah...I had visions of a homage to the MacGyver pilot where Mac saves the world from nuclear annihilation with a chocolate bar.
                      Urgo: I wanna live, I wanna experience the universe and I wanna eat pie!
                      O'Neill: Who doesn't?
                      - Urgo, Stargate: SG-1, Episode 3.16

"Let's be real here. It should be fun. We're not saving lives, we're entertaining them."
                      - RDA, Stargate SG-1: The Lowdown

some assembly required, batteries not included, action figures sold seperately
                      once done, cannot be undone...
                      brought to you by Anthro Girl, Grand Pooh-Bah of the SFA

Comment

I can see it now: Ford makes McKay come over to help him test something.
                        McKay (chomping on his chocolate): Did I forget to mention that we're all going to DIE if I can't get those drives retracted? What's wrong with you people?!
                        *spittle flies on the last word*
                        *bug reacts violently*
                        *Shep screams*
                        Ford: What the hell did you do?
                        McKay: Me?? I didn't do anything. I was just pointing out-
                        *spittle flies again*
                        *bug is pissed again*
                        *Shep screams like a girl*
                        Ford: Maybe the bug is allergic to you.
                        McKay: Oh, yes. Very funny. Ha, ha.
                        Teyla: There are brown spots on Johnny's face that weren't there before. Perhaps it is your spit.
                        Ford: Johnny?!
                        McKay (glaring at Teyla): Excuse me, but unlike SOME people around here, I happen to be civilized. I do not spit when I talk.
                        *spittle everywhere*
                        *bug is REALLY pissed now*
                        *Shep crying like a baby*
                        Teyla: Hand over the chocolate or Johnny will die!
                        McKay: No! It's MY chocolate! I need it more than HE does!
                        Teyla: Do not!
                        McKay: Do too! *spittle*
                        Teyla: Not!
                        McKay: Too! *spittle*
                        *Shep begging for Mommy*
                        Ford: Wait, where did this "Johnny" thing come from?
                        Shep: Give. Chocolate. NOW!
                        McKay: Fine! Take your stupid chocolate! *spittle*
                        McKay goes back to work on the controls, sulking about his low blood sugar and dying in the company of savages.

Comment

New, Improved Puddlejumper Supply List:

1. Owner's manual (Cliff's Notes version)
                          2. A copy of "The Worst Case Scenario Handbook"
                          3. An AED
                          4. Big ol' can of Raid
                          5. XXL size Hershey's Syrup (in case #4 fails)
                          6. WD-40, if the jumper's stuck really, really badly. Plan B: Use the K-Y.
                          7. Something stronger than Tylenol
                          8. Athosian Death Prayer Tea Service for 6 (in case nothing works)
                          9. Subscription to OnStar service (darn, they could have had those pods retracted in no time!)
                          10. A bigger boat
                          11. More MRE's, for McKay's manly hunger
                          12. Large quantities of cheese, to go with his whine...

Comment

Originally posted by NurseRatched
                            New, Improved Puddlejumper Supply List:
                            Duct tape. You forgot duct tape.

"In this life, you need two things: WD-40 to make things go. Duct tape to make them stop."
                            - Anonymous
                            Urgo: I wanna live, I wanna experience the universe and I wanna eat pie!
                            O'Neill: Who doesn't?
                            - Urgo, Stargate: SG-1, Episode 3.16

"Let's be real here. It should be fun. We're not saving lives, we're entertaining them."
                            - RDA, Stargate SG-1: The Lowdown

some assembly required, batteries not included, action figures sold seperately
                            once done, cannot be undone...
                            brought to you by Anthro Girl, Grand Pooh-Bah of the SFA

Comment

How about some space suits so that in the event of a sudden loss of cabin pressure they won't all die?
                              A Wrench of Unusual Size (hey, it works for Siler)

And technically, a smaller boat is what they needed here.

Comment

Well at least now they will have a diagram of the circuits in the puddle jumper just in case something like this happen again. Or at least have a emergency button in the back for the engines.
                                "Basically, what I'm saying is that I am colossally flawed, so if you don't like my opinions, exercise your freedoms and disagree. Or, quite frankly, don't read any further, as that is also your right." (Micheal Shanks' TV Guide Blog, May 17, 2007)

Comment

Working...
                                X