Comment

Originally posted by jelgate View Post
      Was it a slasher fic?
      PG all the way.
      Heightmeyer's Lemming -- still the coolest Lemming of the forum

Proper Stargate Rewatch -- season 10 of SG-1

Comment

Originally posted by Falcon Horus View Post
        Kavanaugh -- oh, we remember him fondly. He was such a "lovable" character.

I paired him once with McKay for a ficathon. Was a pinch hit, but everyone deserves a story written for them in these things so I volunteered.
        Then you have a heart of gold. *applauds*

But if you ever do it again, just keep him faaaaar away from Lizzie.

Originally posted by jelgate View Post
        Was it a slasher fic?
        Slasher or slash? Because if it was the former...
        rest easy now

sigpic

everything will be all right

// tumblr //

Comment

Originally posted by Janet Fraiser View Post
          Slasher or slash? Because if it was the former...
          Both were still very much alive at the end... it was a happy story.

Comment

In the discussion about why Ford couldn't move the jumper, the post about getting stuck in the doorway with a chair--why omit friction? You can overcome the friction of the chair against the carpet with the momentum from rocking, but you can't overcome the additional friction of the doorway.

So maybe you could move a jumper a little bit through internal momentum, but you can't overcome the friction of the engine pods against the gate.

Seaboe
            If you're going to allow yourself to be offended by a cat, you might as well just pack it in -- Steven Brust

Comment

Just re-watched this episode. Nice touch using an old scientific discovery about the Stargate (wormhole closing after 38 minutes) and tying it into the main plot of the episode while the expedition still being able to learn something more of their enemy. Also, nice usage of recurring and guest characters. I just wish there were more episodes like this, where everyone is making effort to solve the team's problems in the Puddle Jumper.

Comment

Originally posted by gatechick View Post
                Oh but to be the bug attached to Shephard's neck! sigh

I agree with you on the point with Weir. Initially I agreed with her. I thought Cavanaugh was just wasting time being so negative. But then he needed to point out the risks. I thought as a leader she should have set a better example. And that little power trip moment where she threatened was just too wrong for me. Yeah, Cavanaugh was a jerk but it was his job to make her aware of the consequenses of any decision they made.
                My problem with this scene is the fact that Cavanaugh pointed out the danger for whole Atlantis which was definitely valid to do, but Weir somehow managed to turn it into a personal attack as if he cared only about himself at this moment. (maybe yes, but she can not know it). No wonder that Cavanaugh was pissed off, although he could really wait with this talk after the whole crisis.

Comment

Just re watched this, and I forgot that at the beginning Mackay pulls Ford out of the Event Horizon by his hand that was not in all the way. I thought once you started into the worm hole you were de-materialized and ONLY re-materialized on the other side?

SS

Comment

Originally posted by Manche View Post
                    My problem with this scene is the fact that Cavanaugh pointed out the danger for whole Atlantis which was definitely valid to do, but Weir somehow managed to turn it into a personal attack as if he cared only about himself at this moment. (maybe yes, but she can not know it). No wonder that Cavanaugh was pissed off, although he could really wait with this talk after the whole crisis.
                    I agree but to a point, my take on it is, Weir asked the group for their opinion on the risk and based on the majority she made the call to take the risk. While Cavanaugh was pointing out the risk, he was pretty snotty about it. The eye rolling and heavy sighing indicated he thought he knew better than everyone else. Basically his position was that the risk was so great that I had the impression he was headed to "Do nothing and let them die, cause it might blow up and kill all of us (read me)."

Weir could have kept her mouth shut till later true, but I think she felt like she needed to assert her authority in the situation. Being in a position of authority and having those under you act like Cavanaugh did would annoy most leaders silly.

Then his little temper tantrum later about "you treated me badly", I think Weir was spot on in correcting him then for sure. It did set up the antipathy Cavanaugh would have for the chain of command from then on.

All in all good character building.

SS

P.S. Cavanaugh with his "blow the rear hatch idea" saved the day!

Did I mention good character building?
                    Last edited by SeaShephard; 12 September 2019, 09:47 PM. Reason: Spelling

Comment

Originally posted by SeaShephard View Post
                      Just re watched this, and I forgot that at the beginning Mackay pulls Ford out of the Event Horizon by his hand that was not in all the way. I thought once you started into the worm hole you were de-materialized and ONLY re-materialized on the other side?

SS
                      The part of you that is reaching into the wormhole is de-materialized, but it's stored in the outgoing gate's buffer and your data pattern is not sent over until you (or the object) is de-materialized in full. Consequently, you can pull yourself out if you haven't fully passed into the event horizon or someone/something can be pulled out under those same conditions.

Ford is an extreme example of this, but it happens with people "testing the waters" by putting a hand in and then pulling it nervously out. O'neill has also intentionally put a hand into a wormhole before to keep the gate active and then pulled his hand out ("Shades of Grey" - Season 3, Episode 18). In that case it was an incoming wormhole, though.

Comment

Originally posted by Xaeden View Post
                        O'neill has also intentionally put a hand into a wormhole before to keep the gate active and then pulled his hand out ("Shades of Grey" - Season 3, Episode 18). In that case it was an incoming wormhole, though.
                        Eli also did the same thing in Air, Part 3. It's a little bit of an inconsistency as we have moments like Point of View with the 'Gate shutting down naturally while an object was still partly dematerialized.
                        sigpic
                        Stargate Destiny - Coming Again Soon

Comment

Originally posted by Elite Anubis Guard View Post
                          It's a little bit of an inconsistency as we have moments like Point of View with the 'Gate shutting down naturally while an object was still partly dematerialized.
                          I suppose it's possible that the power to the gate got shut off and, per the rules, of "38 minutes" that last Jaffa died in the buffer, but they do allow Earnest to be forwarded along in "Torment of Tantalus" even though his support line got cut off. These are early episodes, however, and I don't recall it ever happening after it was firmly established in dialogue that the whole object needs have entered the event horizon before transmission will take place.

Comment

The part of you that is reaching into the wormhole is de-materialized, but it's stored in the outgoing gate's buffer and your data pattern is not sent over until you (or the object) is de-materialized in full. Consequently, you can pull yourself out if you haven't fully passed into the event horizon or someone/something can be pulled out under those same conditions.

Ford is an extreme example of this, but it happens with people "testing the waters" by putting a hand in and then pulling it nervously out. O'neill has also intentionally put a hand into a wormhole before to keep the gate active and then pulled his hand out ("Shades of Grey" - Season 3, Episode 18). In that case it was an incoming wormhole, though.
                            OHHH That's right! I had forgot about that! See enough time passes and this will all be new episodes to watch over again in my old age LOL

SS

Comment

I suppose it's possible that the power to the gate got shut off and, per the rules, of "38 minutes" that last Jaffa died in the buffer, but they do allow Earnest to be forwarded along in "Torment of Tantalus" even though his support line got cut off. These are early episodes, however, and I don't recall it ever happening after it was firmly established in dialogue that the whole object needs have entered the event horizon before transmission will take place.
                              Ernest is one object, his line another... and it was the line that got cut off when the gate lost power.

Unless the gate can draw continuous power from -- let's say a black hole -- it will shut down after the 38 minute window and take everything dematerialized with it, like say that one time Teal'c got stuck in the buffer.

Comment

Originally posted by Falcon Horus View Post
                                Ernest is one object, his line another... and it was the line that got cut off when the gate
                                Here, though, is the problem: Per "Thirty Eight Minutes," when the gate shuts down after 38 minutes, nothing would have been forwarded to the Atlantis gate because half the jumper had not yet been dematerialized. It doesn't matter that the humans who had been dematerialized were separate objects from the jumper itself. As far as the Stargate was concerned they were all necessary components of the whole that it was waiting to transmit.

BECKETT: I'm just a medical doctor here, so forgive me if this is a stupid question. If they just stepped through the event horizon, wouldn't they come through the front part of the ship when the Gate shuts down?

KAVANAGH: The front half won't rematerialise on this side.

GRODIN: The Stargate transmits matter in discrete units. The front half of the ship cannot rematerialise until the whole ship has crossed into the event horizon. The Stargate is essentially waiting for the contiguous components -- meaning the Jumper and everyone inside -- to enter completely before it can transport them.

GRODIN: Unfortunately, the outgoing Stargate won't transmit the matter stream until the demolecularisation is complete. When it shuts down, the entire forward section, along with the men inside, will cease to exist.

That same logic means the Stargate should have lumped Ernest, his suit, and the wire attached to it together and not transmitted any part of it until/unless the whole had entered the wormhole. And just holding that staff weapon meant that Jaffa in "Point of View" wouldn't have been forwarded to the incoming gate because there was a part of the weapon he was holding that didn't make it into the event horizon in time.

If you put your hand in the event horizon and watch as Daniel then fully enters the event horizon, it's likely that Daniel's pattern would not be forwarded along unless you remove your hand or fully enter the wormhole yourself. If you stand there like that until the gate loses power or shuts down after 38 minutes, you will lose both your hand and your Daniel because even though you're a separate entity from Daniel, your partial attempt to enter at the same as Daniel actually enters means that the Stargate requires both complete patterns to initiate a transfer.

That's the only way that the drama in "Thirty Eight Minutes" would have been possible. Otherwise, anyone trapped on the other side of the wormhole could have simply walked into the event horizon and waited until they were forwarded (without any part of the jumper's structure) after the 38 minutes were up.

That quoted dialogue contradicts the examples we're discussing, but there are a number of contradictions relating to things we saw early on in Sg-1.
                                Last edited by Xaeden; 16 September 2019, 01:25 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                X