Page 4 of 21 FirstFirst 123456714 ... LastLast

Default Re: Thirty-Eight Minutes (104)

Yea...I trully beleive it was her boyfriend.
    http://meteorxl.com/images/Mach/RA2.jpg
    I am the Alpha and the Omega, the First and the Last, the Beginning and the End.
    [Revelations 22:13]

Quote Originally Posted by ShadowMaat
    Weir is married. While other folks may be perfectly willing to ignore things like that for the sake of a "good 'ship", I'm not. But like I said, I can't even see her having friendly chemistry with anyone, nevermind romantic...
    Where did you find out that the character is "married"? I only read that Garwin Sanford is her love interest but, then again, I haven't read too much about the new series.

As for the character herself, I think she has shown some development in asserting herself as commander, especially in this episode as she stood her ground with Cavanaugh and Teyla's friend who wanted her to focus on "dying" rather than "saving". Weir let it be known, in no uncertain terms, just where she stood in both confrontations.

As for ship, I think TPTB are not looking to go down that rocky road with the new series. The fans, however, will begin to see what they want to see and, just by nature of the male-female dynamics between actors, I'm sure there will be many future posts on shippy topics

Lieutenant Colonel Major Fischer's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Kes
    Weir is married??? Huh??
    Yeah, I was under the impression he was just a boyfriend as well, did I miss something in published bios? Because if my spouse ran off to another galaxy without a kiss goodbye, I'd be seriously considering divorce.

<grump>

WHOA! Hey! This is a thread for Thirty-Eight Minutes! Spoiler space for upcoming episodes, PLEASE!!!

</grump>

[edit]
    Oops...my bad. I forgot about the scene in Rising. Nevermind. Continue.
    [/edit]
    Last edited by Anthro Girl; July 31st, 2004 at 11:58 AM. Reason: my bad...
    Urgo: I wanna live, I wanna experience the universe and I wanna eat pie!
    O'Neill: Who doesn't?
    - Urgo, Stargate: SG-1, Episode 3.16

"Let's be real here. It should be fun. We're not saving lives, we're entertaining them."
    - RDA, Stargate SG-1: The Lowdown

some assembly required, batteries not included, action figures sold seperately
    once done, cannot be undone...
    brought to you by Anthro Girl, Grand Pooh-Bah of the SFA

Whatever. I'm wrong again. Someone told me her character was married and silly me believed it. *sigh* I knew I should have stayed in bed today. Crummy, crummy, crummy day.

Weir still has a significant other, then, and while long distance relationships rarely work, I don't particularly care for the idea of Weir "cheating" on her boyfriend by knocking boots with one of her subordinates.

As for why I don't like the character, I dunno. Everything about her just rubs me the wrong way. I don't like her attitude, I don't like her stance on a lot of subjects, I don't like a lot of what she has to say or the way she says it and while I'm trying to grant her the benefit of a doubt, everything she does still annoys me.

As for the grump about spoilers, we met the boyfriend in the pilot ep, remember? The one watching Weir's goodbye video?

We are talking about in Rising Athro...when Weir sent a message to her boyfriend. Maat beleive it is her husband.

Here is a question for you Maat....where is her ring?
    I am the Alpha and the Omega, the First and the Last, the Beginning and the End.

I belive my goddess is wrong in this case.

Quote Originally Posted by DownFallAngel
    You know what? I said I was wrong, OK? I misunderstood. I listened to another fan who was WRONG and excuse me for not paying attention to every detail. I'm horribly sorry to have inconvenienced everyone.
    Last edited by ShadowMaat; July 31st, 2004 at 11:44 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by DownFallAngel
    We are talking about in Rising Athro...when Weir sent a message to her boyfriend. Maat beleive it is her husband.
    You're right and I agree...it isn't clear what their relationship is. Somebody mentioned an upcomer. Besides, I've already been "spoiled" on that one. Nevermind me. It's hard to communicate on the forum when I'm closing my eyes.

Darn, but that annoys me. It still doesn't establish anything. I've been married for six years. I wore...nay, we wore our wedding rings for however long we were at the ceremony/reception. We both don't like wearing rings.
    Last edited by Anthro Girl; July 31st, 2004 at 11:42 AM. Reason: clarification.

"Let's be real here. It should be fun. We're not saving lives, we're entertaining them."

Not an inconvenience, Shadow. I just don't think it's been established...yet.

Sorry Maat, didn't mean to pile on, looks like all of us were replying at the same time as we all replied within 3 minutes of each other.

You know what? I said I was wrong, OK? I misunderstood. I listened to another fan who was WRONG and excuse me for not paying attention to every detail. I'm horribly sorry to have inconvenienced everyone.

I'm sorry Maat, you know I don't ever question you!!!

But I replied, like a minute after you said her boyfriend, and so did like...5 other people. Sorry ma'am.

You didn't inconvenience anyone, I was just shocked when I read that. I guess a lot of others were as well because we all posted at the same time. (but I was first, yay me!).

It never entered my mind when I saw that scene in Rising that Weir would go off and leave a husband with a video message like that so I assumed he was a boyfriend. But the dialogue doesn't specify *what* their relationship was so I guess it's possible he was more than just a boyfriend. I'm sure all will be made clear at some point.

Quote Originally Posted by Shadow
    Weir still has a significant other, then, and while long distance relationships rarely work, I don't particularly care for the idea of Weir "cheating" on her boyfriend by knocking boots with one of her subordinates.
    The important thing is that Weir isn't having a romantic relationship with anyone on Atlantis right now and hopefully they aren't going to push anything. I'm not crazy about her er..."knocking boots" with one of her subordinates either. That doesn't stop fans from speculating on how the relationships between the characters are developing and as to any chemistry they see between the characters.

Sorry, didn't mean to be part of the pile on. I was just truly shocked about the husband bit.
    http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y23...d_smallest.jpgLife is hard...and it's harder if you're stupid

Re: Thirty-Eight Minutes (104)

Quote Originally Posted by agostumpy
    Are they going to figure out the saltwater connection? I thought they'd say something at the end of the episode.

1 The bug on his neck freaked out with saltwater
    2 The Wraith are related to said bug
    3 Where's Atlantis? In the middle of a massive pool of saltwater!! Why else would the Ancients put it there AND submerge it to get away from the Wraith.

Sucks that they didn't bring any Supersoakers with 'em!! They could just load 'em up and give the Wraith a nasty bath

Whaddya think?

** i started a thread on this under "Atlantis Season 1" **
    Yep. That was my immediate thought.

J.
    "He's an amazing man. After everything he's done, he's still modest. Quite self-effacing actually. He even likes people to think he's not as smart as he is. Bottom line, he's an incredibly strong leader who's given more to this program than any man has given to anything I can imagine."

http://www.angelfire.com/magic/le_mo...rkpicsmall.jpg

Chief Master Sergeant Ice^^Heat's Avatar

But like I said, I can't even see her having [i
    friendly[/i] chemistry with anyone, nevermind romantic...
    LOL! So she just has to be a cold leader? She can't make friends? I tought she was a civilian, not an cold Military officer.

Than the popcorn-football scene in Hide and Seek probably was a pain in the ass for you wasn't it?

People don't have to be in the military to come across as cold and impersonal. I've already explained my feelings and reasonings on the character before, I really don't feel the need to explain myself to you.

Probie

Quote Originally Posted by IWantToBelieve
    I'd have a hard time ranking mine, but Shep is first, no doubt. I think McKay, Weir and Beckett are tied for second, then Teyla and Ford in third. Actually, I'm liking them all. They are growing nicely! And worked really good in this episode.
    McKay is at the top of my list with Beckett a close second. That Czech scientist, you know ... What's His Name ..., for having such a brief appearance, I thought he was pretty cool.

Hated the American scientist ... Anderson?? Was that his name?? Very appropriate that he wore a pony-tail because he was a horse's ass and Weir every right to geld him. Though, I agree with a previous post that he'll come back and cause trouble later.

Sheppard's okay. I don't know if they're setting Weir up for something in the future, but her character seemed to be in over her head during parts of this episode. Don't like how she handled Teyla's people when they wanted to make sure Teyla was prepared for her death. Not very diplomatic. Very ethnocentric.

I'm still waiting for more development of Ford and Teyla's character, as well as some more development of Teyla's people. The Death Preparation Ceremony was just a hint, at taste -- a tiny smackrel, if you will -- of their culture. Hope the writers have a few stories down the road that delves more into how people living in the shadow of the Wratihs deal with knowledge that they're just a food source waiting to be harvested.
    RDA: "It may be balsa, but it's still wood."

Chief Master Sergeant

I have to say that I'm getting a little annoyed at the character dynamics. The characters just act a whole lot less disciplined than the characters from SG1. The only one that seems to have any real appearance of discipline is, ironically, Teyla. Maybe Ford.

McKay does nothing but whine about how doomed everyone is (Something, by the way, he *never* did in the SG1 episode Redemption). Weir yells at everyone antagonistically and risks their entire central base of operation to save a few people (Something which, if they got in the habit of, *ought* to eventually lead to their destruction). All the characters who aren't at the main cast do nothing but banter egomaniacally...

There isn't even a clear chain of command between Weir and Shepherd.

There are plenty of good things about Atlantis, I just hope they all become more disciplined, like 3/4 of the SG1 cast are.

There is a clear one, IMO. The colonel in Rising goes "as long as you remember who is in charge." and Sheppard replies, "That woudl be Dr. Weir."

That's pretty darn clear.

Chief Master Sergeant Yu Huang Shang Ti's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Tokraed
    The Death Preparation Ceremony was just a hint, at taste -- a tiny smackrel, if you will -- of their culture. Hope the writers have a few stories down the road that delves more into how people living in the shadow of the Wratihs deal with knowledge that they're just a food source waiting to be harvested.
    I thought there was a pretty good allusion to that -- after millenia of being harvested again and again with no hope of ending it, the people have chosen dignified acceptance of the inevitable. They aren't used to fighting, but surviving, and Halling's insistance on performing the ritual shows that.

I'd rather have several more events like that throughout the season than one "very special" religious episode that focuses squarely on it, and then that's it for years. We don't need the Athosians to turn into the Maquis.

Page 4 of 21 FirstFirst 123456714 ... LastLast