Page 2 of 21 FirstFirst 1234512 ... LastLast

Default Re: Thirty-Eight Minutes (104)

While it would make perfect sense to have Atlantis be surrounded by salt water, do we know for a fact that it IS salty? Could be fresh...
    Actually, in Hide and Seek they were talking about de-salinating the ocean water, so I think the water IS pretty salty.

38 Minutes was a good ep, though.

Quote Originally Posted by Beckmen
    Actually, in Hide and Seek they were talking about de-salinating the ocean water, so I think the water IS pretty salty.
    Forgot that line. Thankies.

Liked 38 Minutes. Think it would have been neat if they could have done it realtime with a little countdown clock and everything, but I know that would have made it too complicated. And probably too close to 24.

Hopefully we'll see more of them actually going out on missions, now...

They just got there. So it wouldn't matter. The producers are creative writers, so they know what they are doing.
    http://meteorxl.com/images/Mach/RA2.jpg
    I am the Alpha and the Omega, the First and the Last, the Beginning and the End.
    [Revelations 22:13]

Quote Originally Posted by DownFallAngel
    They just got there. So it wouldn't matter. The producers are creative writers, so they know what they are doing.
    I know, but patience has never been one of my strong points.

I hope we get to see more of Dr. Z. Liked him. Loved the accent, too, although it probably isn't "accurate".

Was he Russian? Thats what he came off as to me. Not sure, never saw his flag.
    http://meteorxl.com/images/Mach/RA2.jpg
    I am the Alpha and the Omega, the First and the Last, the Beginning and the End.
    [Revelations 22:13]

He was Czech, according to McKay. Didn't see the flag and wouldn't know it if I did.

Chief Master Sergeant Yu Huang Shang Ti's Avatar

This is an idea I've been waiting to see for a while, but of course couldn't be implimented without a gate-capable ship (48 Hours notwithstanding). They sure executed it well!

Fanboy nitpicker mode: nobody mentioned that if half of an object's mass is already in, the gate will draw the object in and transmit it, like it did to Daniel's funeral wreath or the body of Apophis. But that wasn't really an option here, since getting the jumper in that far would have been as good as getting it all the way, so it's a minor point.

Chief Master Sergeant

So, uh, is TickWraith lost in space? It was moving in the last "stuck PJ in the gate scene".

And... its fate wasn't really shown.

Hmmm.
    Last edited by Z_2; July 30th, 2004 at 08:46 PM. Reason: Because I could

In the SGC dont tell anyone im under the desk

It may of flew i nthe gate or hooked to the outside of the ship when it was pushed out but its unlikely. But yea why didnt the Gate just start pulling in the rest of the ship? And maybe the bug turns people int oWraiths lol

Also wouldnt Ford of been Dematerialised? I mean all but his hand right shouldnt it of dematerialed all but his hand? but then again it could be the whole all in one piece rule they had. but if thats the case wouldnt the people atleast come thru the gate?
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iGgHAXalVyM

http://i299.photobucket.com/albums/m...289/stglw9.jpg

"And those who are prideful and refuse to bow down shall be laid low and made onto dust." Then Shall Fall Scifi!

If you don't worship Metonic... your parents won't love you anymore.. well they dont now...

You'll have to say that last bit again, I didn't understand it.

Ford was in the clear when he pulled the leverl to blow the hatch. Then he and the rest of the ship were propelled forward through the wormhole, dematerialized and rematerialized on the other side. What does his hand have to do with it?

And it's "should HAVE" dematerialized.

Lieutenant Colonel Major Fischer's Avatar

Believe he means in the beginning of the ep when Rodney and Tayla pull him half out of the event horizon because when they got stuck he was in the forward part of the PJ.

Quote Originally Posted by Major Fischer
    Believe he means in the beginning of the ep when Rodney and Tayla pull him half out of the event horizon because when they got stuck he was in the forward part of the PJ.
    Ah. Thanks for the clarification.

It just shows that until something is fully submerged in the event horizon, you can pull it out again. Like sticking your hand in and pulling it back out, only on a bigger scale. He was dematerialised and held in potentia, but with his hand sticking out it was still possible to retrieve him.

MY question is, why didn't the Wraith try and pursue the jumper? Isn't that partly why they were in such a hurry in the first place? They would have been sitting ducks, stuck there in the gate with no way to move and no way to get at weapons or shielding...

Of course, it would have made for a very short (or drastically altered) series, but still...

I liked Thirty-Eight Minutes too. What is the deal, I'm enjoying everything so far this year. Maybe it's this shiny new forum or something.

* The story itself was interesting. Pacing was good, I felt the tension as the clock ticked down.

* Love McKay, every little pissy hypoglycemic inch of him. Love McKay, Ford and Sheppard interacting. Those three are great together. Teyla I'm afraid may be a lost cause for me although I'm trying to keep an open mind.

* Weir, hmm... Sometimes I like her, enjoy her strength and other times she just seems to be acting like a **** to prove she's in charge. I still think she has potential to become a good character. On a superficial note, I like her hair better straight and she seems to have packed quite a wardrobe.

* Like the international aspect of this expedition. Very cool. Czech guy was good.

* Okay, the bug looked kind of lame. But every bug I've seen on Stargate has been kind of lame. They just don't do bugs well I guess. But hey, who does?

All in all I think Atlantis is off to a pretty strong start.
    http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y23...d_smallest.jpgLife is hard...and it's harder if you're stupid

I was waiting for it to be one of the bugs from Bane.

Any chance it may have injected something into Shep? Might explain an upcoming plot point...

Pretty good episode. Atlantis hasn't disappointed me yet.

I'm really starting to like Elizabeth. At first, she seemed a little rough around the edges, but not so much anymore.

McKay needs to lighten up a little. His "doom and gloom" attitude will get old soon.
    No snurching any Pictures I post!! (without my permission)

Okay, I must be in the minority here, but I honestly didn't like this episode as much as some of the others.

I'll admit, there were good plot/characterization things going on, which I enjoyed a lot. However (and I don't profess to be an expert on wormhole physics ), but weren't there a few plotholes?

So, most obvious one I could find is that the front of the 'jumper didn't rematerialize, which, honestly, it should have. There are a few examples in SG-1 where people have gone only partway through the gate, and have rematerialized on the other side.

Example? Shades of Grey. When Col. O'Neill finally caught the bad guys and whatever, he 'held the gate open' from the far side. This implied him going through the gate and keeping his hand INSIDE the gate, which prevented it from closing. His body (as we were shown), did in fact rematerialize on the other side. He was there for quite a while, too.

I hope I explained my point so you can understand it. If anyone can clear this up, much thanks. I might just be confused.

...Oh, and side note? What's up with SG-1 and Atlantis having stuff in common. Last epsiode - Black clouds. This ep - Those weird red suits. Coincidince? Conspiracy? Subliminal messaging? (Lol)

Shades of Gray- I thought that was to keep the gate from shutting down prematurely. It has a tendency to shut down if it doesn't detect any material passing through it. The gate doesn't ALWAYS stay active for 38 minutes, right? The team goes through, the gate shuts down. Jack was holding it open so that wouldn't happen.

I know, that's exactly what he was doing, but according to the science of this Atlantis episode he shouldn't have rematerialized on the SGC side of the Stargate until ALL of his matter was through, in one big clump.

Earth Symbol Re: Thirty-Eight Minutes (104)

Quote Originally Posted by ShadowMaat
    Only problem with Ford I had was his hesitation on using the paddles on Shep. Hello! Don't look for permission, just DO IT already! Sheesh.
    Though he didn't hesitate to blow the aft section with him still in it. All in all I loved this episode! Ford and McKay were great, and Teyla is starting to grow on me (I'll have to get that looked at ) and Weir kicked booty when that jerko Cavanaugh got all up in her face.

Earth Symbol Re: Thirty-Eight Minutes (104)

Quote Originally Posted by Meg_Ann
    I know, that's exactly what he was doing, but according to the science of this Atlantis episode he shouldn't have rematerialized on the SGC side of the Stargate until ALL of his matter was through, in one big clump.
    I agree with you, Meg_Ann...it was probably just a production error. They should have used the whole "holding signal" plot device.

Page 2 of 21 FirstFirst 1234512 ... LastLast