what is the attraction of star trek?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

what is the attraction of star trek?

i tried watching the show but i just never to engage with it.
    some relationships are worth getting your heart broken over

doctor who

I know of lot of people find it hard to get into. A lot of people find it too righteous.

I love it because it is so complex and rich in history and storyline. Something that has been left behind a little of late.

Comment

I find the rightiousness gets irritating, especially in Voyager.

I just love sci-fi, I love the idea of looking to the future, and a future that isn't perfect, but isn't too bad either. I like the idea of there being something bigger then us out there- that we aren't alone, and Star Trek delivers on that. And there's the romanticism of living in space of course, and the characters for the most part are really good. I see aspects of myself reflected in many of them which draws me to them furthar. And of course I love all the cool stuff, transporters, time travel, cybernetic beings, phasers, etc. Star Trek is serious, light hearted, funny, fun, poignant, and optimistic, and that's why I like it in all its incarnations.

Comment

Besides Trek being a great adventure type scifi show it is very well written, especially TNG and DS9. It also gives the viewer a glimpse into what a Utopian society might look like in a few hundred years. A lot of the story-lines are written where you feel good about being a human from Earth, this is where Trek is so appealing even for the casual viewer who might not be a big scifi fan.

I wasn't a big fan the first time I watched TOS but I stuck with it and by the time TNG and DS9 came around I was die hard Trekkie
        the Fifth Race

Mod@ www.Bodybuilding.com
        Mod@ www.MMAforumcom

Comment

the storylines, the creativity, the ships, the races, the battles, the imagination, the weapons, the characters, the technology, the way the link up all the series, the references to our own history so you get the feeling you are in your own "universe", and many many more

putting it simply - being able to see a glimpse of what might be

"But the core of science fiction, is essance has become crucial to our salvation, if we are to be saved at all..."

Dont let our show die.

Comment

Mainly, the hope that if we are able to imagine such a future that there's hope that we will accomplish it; that despite all the bad things happening in the world, that at some point we stop the rape, war and genocide and aspire to something greater. That's basically the hope hidden in the idea of the federation.

Then there's the difference from regulat TV. A significant portion of TV revolves around interpersonal, relationship drama or the titillation that comes from watching bad things happen to individuals and watching other individuals solve them. Star Trek and a lot of scifi takes a wider focus and focuses on problems facing humanity as a whole,or at least a good sampling of it.

Then there's the imagination. Scifi is the answer to the questions of What if?, the opportunity to see something far beyond the scope of our lifetimes. Star Trek is set so far in the future, that the only opportunity any of us will ever have to see what the future might be is this way and it just so happens Star Trek is an unusually positive outlook for the most part; a stark contrast from the one we face. That's pretty appealing.

"You know what would make a good story? Something about a clown who makes people happy, but inside he's real sad. Also, he has severe diarrhea." - Jack Handy

Comment

Originally posted by RobJones
              Exactly!

Comment

Originally posted by RobJones
                the storylines, the creativity, the ships, the races, the battles, the imagination, the weapons, the characters, the technology, the way the link up all the series, the references to our own history so you get the feeling you are in your own "universe", and many many more

I know that's what always drew me into Star Trek. It will always be special to me, and I'll look forward to any future Star Trek endeavours.
                sigpic
                MS - "Boy, wow that's a great question!"
                "...phu...ah..."
                "Anyone know what SENTIENT means???"
                Sunday is my favorite day for two reasons - Football and The Walking Dead

Comment

I do love sci-fi but for me the attraction of star trek is no homeless people on earth, no hunger, and general things like that. Nothing comes down to cost for example no one says you cant have this life saving medicine coz it costs too much, in star trek the person is treated it doe'snt come down to cost. thats just an example but you get my point of view.

STAR TREK RULES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
                  SAM & JACK 4EVER!!

Comment

Originally posted by fan of jack
                    I do love sci-fi but for me the attraction of star trek is no homeless people on earth, no hunger, and general things like that. Nothing comes down to cost for example no one says you cant have this life saving medicine coz it costs too much, in star trek the person is treated it doe'snt come down to cost. thats just an example but you get my point of view.

STAR TREK RULES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
                    Absolutly, in Star Trek Earth is everything that we're striving for now. Star Trek brings so much hope that the world can't stay screwed up forever.

Comment

Uh...might not mean much, but here's a list of why I love Star Trek:
                      1. Different and fascinating cultures
                      2. Cross culture love e.g. Odo and Kira
                      3. Hybrid and complicated children e.g. Spock
                      4. Interesting bad guys e.g. Borg
                      5. Weird species e.g. Trills
                      6. Humor e.g. Quark and the Ferengi
                      7. Space battles!
                      8. Science e.g. Warp drive, transporter etc.
                      9. Angst e.g. all through DS9
                      10. Shapeshifters - one just gotta love them
                      11. Pure sci-fi and not fantasy (hate fantacy)

Comment

Working...
                      X