The Caprica speculation/discussion thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Blue Banrigh
    You mean Joseph Adama being on the payroll of the corporation behind the cylon technology?
    Why not?! Predictibility is annoying and less interesting. It would give a deeper motivation to Bill Adama's hate towards the Cylons. And RDM tries to mirror what's happening in the real world and kind of debating over the issues of today, kinda like Star Trek with less techno bable. Maybe he will try to take the "parents' action harm their childrens' future" approach, who knows.
    School is overrated.

Comment

I found this searching through some bio stuff on Ronald D. Moore of Star Trek and BSG fame......

Announced: May 4, 2006
      Caprica (2007) [TV-Series 2007-????]
      Two families, the Graystones and the Adamas, live together on a peaceful planet known as Caprica, where a startling breakthrough in artificial intelligence brings about unforeseen consequences. A spin-off of the Sci Fi Channel series "Battlestar Galactica" set 50 years prior to the events of that show.

Was originally pitched to NBC/Universal by Remi Aubuchon as an independent series with no connection to the Battlestar Galactica franchise. NBC/Universal read the pilot (an allegorical story about slavery with robots) and suggested Aubuchon meet with Ronald D. Moore and David Eick (who were considering a Battlestar Galactica spin-off series at the time). Aubuchon, Moore and Eick met and within a couple of months the "Caprica" series was born.

Remi Aubuchon writer
      David Eick writer
      Ronald D. Moore writer

Produced by
      Remi Aubuchon .... executive producer
      David Eick .... executive producer
      Ronald D. Moore .... executive producer

Wow, any thoughts or ideas on this, does it mean that this will be the last season of BSG then Caprica will start, or will they run both shows at the sametime like SG and SGA?.
      Last edited by the Fifth Race; 18 August 2006, 10:10 AM.
      the Fifth Race

Mod@ www.Bodybuilding.com
      Mod@ www.MMAforumcom

Comment

AFAIK, they intend to run both shows simultaneously.

I'm not too sure about Caprica. I guess I'll have to see it to really judge it, but I must admit, I always have doubts about spin-offs.
        sigpic

"Let's not be too quick to exclude the possibility that the woman might be, uh... what is the clinical term? Nuts?" -- Rodney McKay, PhD

What does Cat have to say today?

Comment

Wasn't Galactica 1980 a spin-off of sorts? It was also horrible. Making a Caprica spin-off, might not work. They don't even know if Battlestar Galactica can stand alone against the networks or even without its lead-in shows. Plus I never saw BSG as a spin-off type of show. It might of worked for Law & Order (even though the last attempt failed after several episodes) but NBCs latest Friends spin-off (Joey) was cancelled. Last thing I want is for NBC to mess up BSG.
          "What is it with you and ascended women?!"

Proud member of the C.O.T.W.O.S.F.
          The Coalition Of Those Who Oppose Sci Fi (channel)

Comment

Originally posted by RedGuard
            Wasn't Galactica 1980 a spin-off of sorts? It was also horrible. Making a Caprica spin-off, might not work. They don't even know if Battlestar Galactica can stand alone against the networks or even without its lead-in shows. Plus I never saw BSG as a spin-off type of show. It might of worked for Law & Order (even though the last attempt failed after several episodes) but NBCs latest Friends spin-off (Joey) was cancelled. Last thing I want is for NBC to mess up BSG.
            I can see it working if it follows the end of new BSG after this coming season. BSG didn't do very well with the ratings last year (especially in the second half of the season).

This kind of storyline in the BSG universe interests me, so I look forward to it, if it becomes reality. Having Ronald D.Moore as one of the writers and creators is a great start!.

NBC might be gun-shy after the Joey and Surface rating debacles from last year, that being said, I enjoyed both shows (especially Surface) and hated seeming them both get the ax.

Comment

Originally posted by Blue Banrigh
              You mean Joseph Adama being on the payroll of the corporation behind the cylon technology?
              Um, but I thought it was established in dialogue back in season 1 (Litmus, I think) that Joseph Adama was Carpca's answer to Atticus Finch? It always stuck in my mind because I expected William Adama to come from a hardcore military background (like Starbuck), but as happens so often on this show the only predictable thing is how unpredictable things are on BSG.

Comment

For those who don't know, i've read somewhere (interview with either RDM or David Eick) that they are not intending on Running Caprica, but makingg the other guy (writer for 24 (or something to do with 24)) be the lead man for the show, and they basically just check his work and make sure it's going where they want it to be going.

That's why i'm having high hopes for this show, because they're bringing in another very capable writer to do it, while they concentrate on BSG

Comment

Originally posted by the Fifth Race
                  I found this searching through some bio stuff on Ronald D. Moore of Star Trek and BSG fame......

Announced: May 4, 2006
                  Caprica (2007) [TV-Series 2007-????]
                  Two families, the Graystones and the Adamas, live together on a peaceful planet known as Caprica, where a startling breakthrough in artificial intelligence brings about unforeseen consequences. A spin-off of the Sci Fi Channel series "Battlestar Galactica" set 50 years prior to the events of that show.

Was originally pitched to NBC/Universal by Remi Aubuchon as an independent series with no connection to the Battlestar Galactica franchise. NBC/Universal read the pilot (an allegorical story about slavery with robots) and suggested Aubuchon meet with Ronald D. Moore and David Eick (who were considering a Battlestar Galactica spin-off series at the time). Aubuchon, Moore and Eick met and within a couple of months the "Caprica" series was born.

Remi Aubuchon writer
                  David Eick writer
                  Ronald D. Moore writer

Produced by
                  Remi Aubuchon .... executive producer
                  David Eick .... executive producer
                  Ronald D. Moore .... executive producer

Wow, any thoughts or ideas on this, does it mean that this will be the last season of BSG then Caprica will start, or will they run both shows at the sametime like SG and SGA?.
                  I was wondering where my Caprica Discussion thread went. I guess I didn't do as through a search as I should have before starting a new thread, sorry about that Skydiver. Thanx for combining the my thread with yours.
                  the Fifth Race

Mod@ www.Bodybuilding.com
                  Mod@ www.MMAforumcom

Comment

i'm looking forward to caprica as a seris the thing i'm wondering is weather caprica will go into the war years or weather that will be a spin off of the spin off as it were !!!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Aussie_86
                      For those who don't know, i've read somewhere (interview with either RDM or David Eick) that they are not intending on Running Caprica, but makingg the other guy (writer for 24 (or something to do with 24)) be the lead man for the show, and they basically just check his work and make sure it's going where they want it to be going.

That's why i'm having high hopes for this show, because they're bringing in another very capable writer to do it, while they concentrate on BSG
                      Up until I saw this much, I was doubtful not for Caprica, but for the quality of BSG (which I'm convinced already suffered the last half of season 2). Now I'm excited for both shows. Caprica will be something completely different, but I really would love to see some more backstory on the colonies themselves and the Cylons.

Comment

it's been a while since there was any news has anyone heard any thing ?
                        i think it should be on by season 4 of bsg next (one can hope)

Comment

Originally posted by deathskull
                          it's been a while since there was any news has anyone heard any thing ?
                          nope everything's pretty much dead on Caprica ( )
                          Last edited by SoulReaver; 31 October 2006, 01:41 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by SoulRe@ver View Post
                            nope everything's pretty much dead on Caprica ( )
                            Dead as in there's no news. Not dead as in, it's not going to happen.

Comment

Probably going to premier either Oct 2007 (hopefully with S4 of BSG), or early 2008.
                              Music Profile: 83710 Songs --- 3714 Artists --- 7051 Albums

Comment

It's still in the development stage. Several "Spec Scripts" have been written/revised and are almost ready to present to TPTB. If "Caprica" gets the greenlight to go into production, you won't see it air until 2008 at the earliest. It normally takes approx 2-3 years from the initial "pitch" to full production IF there are no hitches (circumstances or differences to delay progress).

There's more to the process than just presenting an idea ("pitch") for a series. Not only does one have to write a "spec script', but develop the show to a point where the execs (TPTB) have an idea where the producer/writer wants to go with the concept if it becomes a hit...a series outline or "bible". Then advertisers have to be contacted and sold (get excited?) on the projected series as well as investors. Once the finances and the budget for the series are set and the script approved, then the producer will start looking for studio space, enter contract negotiations with the various unions, build sets, etc etc.

So one can see there are a lot of hoops to jump through and the process can be a long one...some projects are "shelved" by the studio even after sets are built and may be revived later or just languish on the shelf. Other shows may take as long as 5 years before it is aired...some refer to this as "timing"...esp if a concept/series is considered controversial, or if revisions are needed to meet the changing tastes of the viewing public.
                                It's nice to be important, but it's more important to be nice.

Comment

Working...
                                X