Page 1 of 6 1234 ... LastLast
    You call that a glowstick?
    (Moderator)

Default The Caprica speculation/discussion thread

Here it is, your one stop shopping for all things Caprica.

discuss, debate, have fun. But let's limit it all to the confines of this thread for the time being.

Lieutenant General Pharaoh Atem's Avatar

Default Re: The Caprica specuation/discussion thread

well here the article for those who don't know http://www.gateworld.net/news/2006/0...acticais.shtml

the shows going to be set more than 50 years before the events of Battlestar Galactica, Caprica takes place on the capital world of the Twelve Colonies. There humankind thrives, living in a peaceful society with the benefits of high technology. But the development of an advanced, robotic, artificial life form is about to change everything.

Question Re: The Caprica specuation/discussion thread

The big question is: WHEN?

Lieutenant Colonel Blue Banrigh's Avatar

My guess would be late 2007 - early 2008.

I wonder if they will reuse some of the original series designs like the mushroom shaped Basestars and disk shaped fighters. They could potentially even bring back the IL series who would serve a more administrative role while the Centurions were the warriors.

'Hallowed are the children of the Ori. CROWD: Hallowed are we. Hallowed are the Ori.' -

'Great holy armies shall be gathered and trained to fight all who embrace evil. In the name of the Gods, ships shall be built to carry the warriors out among the stars and we will spread Origin to all the unbelievers. The power of the Ori will be felt far and wide and the wicked shall be vanquished' -

Contribute to the Stargate Wiki a source for any information on the Stargate universe from the books, RPG to games and comics.

First Lieutenant

Who should be frontrunners for acting roles?

Would known or relatively unknown actors be better in cast.

Due to rising cost in YVR would it be best filmed elsewhere? This might impact actor’s availability.

Should there be any ‘Adama’ grandfathering? Knowing that this will take place before current timeline and family military is established.

Can we sustain another BSG show? Knowing for the most part many has issues with Stargate spin-off, Atlantis.
    The very young, do not always do what they are told.

"To me, my board" - Silver Surfer

I total love this idea! I’d love to see the cylons as good guys being taken advantage by the humans. I’d love to see this go in to the war years.
    Doze Out...

I used to eat a lot of natural foods until I learned that most people die of natural causes.

here's scifi's official press release:

http://www.thefutoncritic.com/cgi/pr...0060426scifi02

Wednesday, April 26, 2006

SCI FI CHANNEL UNVEILS POWERHOUSE DEVELOPMENT SLATE

Unprecedented Commitment to Original Programming With Top Tier Creative Talent Including Jesse Alexander, Freddie Prinze Jr., Eric McCormack

NEW YORK -- April 26, 2006 -- SCI FI Channel's Mark Stern, EVP, Original Programming, announced today an aggressive slate of original scripted dramas, miniseries, alternative reality and late night series for the Channel. Already established as an industry leader with highly acclaimed and award-winning shows such as 'Battlestar Galactica,' SCI FI Channel's latest slate of high profile projects showcases top industry luminaries and offers imaginative, broad appeal entertainment.

Scripted Series
    'CAPRICA'
    From executive producers Ronald D. Moore and David Eick ('Battlestar Galactica'), writer Remi Aubuchon ('24') and NBC Universal Television Studio, this new series is set over a half a century before the events that play out in 'Battlestar Galactica.' The people of the Twelve Colonies are at peace and living in a society not unlike our own, but where high-technology has changed the lives of virtually everyone for the better. But a startling breakthrough in robotics is about to occur, one that will bring to life the age-old dream of marrying artificial intelligence with a mechanical body to create the first living robot - a Cylon. Following the lives of two families, the Graystones and the Adamas (the family of William Adama, who will one day become the commander of the 'Battlestar Galactica') 'Caprica' weaves corporate intrigue, techno-action and sexual politics into television's first science fiction family saga.

Quote Originally Posted by BackStageJim
    Who should be frontrunners for acting roles?

Would known or relatively unknown actors be better in cast.

Due to rising cost in YVR would it be best filmed elsewhere? This might impact actor’s availability.

Should there be any ‘Adama’ grandfathering? Knowing that this will take place before current timeline and family military is established.

Can we sustain another BSG show? Knowing for the most part many has issues with Stargate spin-off, Atlantis.
    They will use unknowns - cheaper. Also sounds like they will use the same writing team which will spread them awfully thin. Plus, someone else mentioned in the other thread, it sounds like SciFi is looking for a replacement for the Stargate shows. The casts, especially SG1 have been around along time and probably get more money than unknowns would in a new show, and if the whole show is based on "Caprica" then the special effects would probably be a lot cheaper.

we may get to see the origanal twelve battlestars being built after the cylons go bad and that other family that isnt the adams will get woven into the curent series now

I still want to know what sexual politics mean. That phrase sounds kind of funny to me.

Quote Originally Posted by Arative
    I still want to know what sexual politics mean. That phrase sounds kind of funny to me.
    What does a cigar, a blue dress and a Monica have in common
    Doze Out...

I used to eat a lot of natural foods until I learned that most people die of natural causes.

Chief Master Sergeant NumberSix.CF's Avatar

So this means hellow 4th season for BSG?

First Lieutenant

Quote Originally Posted by prion

... television's first science fiction family saga.
    Guess Will Robinson and family were not Sci-Fi, then again it was the 60's.
    The very young, do not always do what they are told.

"To me, my board" - Silver Surfer

Running for my life from a hoard of zombies.

As long as this new series doesn't damage the quality of BSG, I'm all for it, I guess. I'll at least give it a chance.

MS - "Boy, wow that's a great question!"
    "...phu...ah..."
    "Anyone know what SENTIENT means???"
    Sunday is my favorite day for two reasons - Football and The Walking Dead

Don't know as I'm shrill and ill-informed

It would be nice to have BSG and Caprica on one night, then SG1 and SGA on another night. I'd end up watching Skiffy more than just Friday nights.

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y65/joesmom1/Kitty.bmp

When all else fails, change channels.

Captain

I'll give it a look and may well end up pleasantly surprised, but I have to say that based purely on the article it sounds positively dreadful. And I have the very bad feeling that it will mean for BSG what Atlantis (partly) meant for SG1 - a huge drop in quality and people trying to work on two shows without extra time to do a good job on the original.

But...we'll see.

Albion
    Listen, we had General Ryan come on and do a little cameo for us, and he's a real live four star, one of the big guys. And I had to ask him point blank, because there's a certain irreverence that I bring to the character, and denseness, but while we were doing this scene, I just looked at him and said, "Do you have guys like me in...?" and he stopped me and said, "Yes, and worse, and you're doing a fine job, son."

Richard Dean Anderson

Lieutenant Colonel Blue Banrigh's Avatar

I wonder if they'll use the same visual style as Battlestar Galactica, the hand held cameras, the same colour palette, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Albion
    And I have the very bad feeling that it will mean for BSG what Atlantis (partly) meant for SG1 - a huge drop in quality and people trying to work on two shows without extra time to do a good job on the original.
    What are you talking about? Season 7 - during which Atlantis would have first been in production - was great, and Season 8 contained some of the best episodes SG1 has produced! I'd say there was a rise in quality from the point when Atlantis started production.

Although, it could be argued that having two shows can lower the quality in certain circumstances, an example of which being the number of somewhat craptacular Atlantis episodes [i'm looking at you, 'The Tower'! *shakes fist*] possibly due to the increased effort put into SG1 with their S9 shakeup [but should be alleviated by now]. But still, hardly damning evidence, eh?

Regarding Caprica, I for one look forward to it, and hope it'll be liiiiittle bit more light-hearted than what we've already seen out of RDM, thereby allowing him to take BSG into even darker territory, which is something we can all enjoy.
    Jayne - Ain't logical. Cuttin' on his own face, rapin' and murdering - Hell, I'll kill a man in a fair fight... or if I think he's gonna start a fair fight, or if he bothers me, or if there's a woman, or if I'm gettin' paid - mostly only when I'm gettin' paid. But these Reavers... last ten years they show up like the bogeyman from stories. Eating people alive? Where's that get fun?
    Kaylee - Shepherd Book said they was men who just reached the edge of space, saw a vasty nothingness, and went bibbledy over it.
    Jayne - Oh, hell, i've been to the edge. Just looked like... more space.
    - Serenity

Quote Originally Posted by FoolishPleasure
    It would be nice to have BSG and Caprica on one night, then SG1 and SGA on another night. I'd end up watching Skiffy more than just Friday nights.
    I would imagine that is part of the reasoning for moving BSG to October? Not that Caprica would premier this October but Sci-fi would have SG-1 and Atlantis for the Summer and Spring and then BSG and Caprica for the fall and then late spring, early summer after SG-1 ended its season in March. Year round quality programming would look attractive to advertisers!

Page 1 of 6 1234 ... LastLast