Clear All

Amazing Grace (217)

Stargate: Horizon - Season Two
    "Amazing Grace"

"Amazing Grace"
    Ep: 2.17
    Release Date: April 27th 2006
    Written by Mike Coakley

When David Connor finds himself trapped alone in an alien control room which is in the process of being destroyed by a natural disaster of immense proportions, without any memory of how he got there, he is "visited" by two friends who are very close to him.
    Outstanding
    60.00%
    Good
    20.00%
    Fair
    0.00%
    Poor
    0.00%
    Terrible
    20.00%

The poll is expired.

Click on banner to visit the Stargate: Horizon homepage.

The episode thread is now open for discussion. Look for the episode on the site around the regular time.

Enjoy!

Comment

That's odd, it was still closed. Oh well, open now.

Looks like the episode didn't get added to the episode list yet, but it can be found and downloaded on the main Horizon page.
      Last edited by SierraGulf1; 27 April 2006, 02:48 PM.
      Beyond the Horizon Lies the Gateway to a New Galaxy
      Stargate Horizon, Co-Executive Producer
      Latest Episode: 4.06 - "Eden"
      Stargate Destiny, Fan
      Latest Episode: 1.20 - "Alliances, Part One"

Comment

Wow, that episode was absolutely perfect! Easily one of the best this season, and now I know the David and Tom characters a lot better. Fantastic job! ^_^ Within the next day, I'll have a thorough review up on SGU for this episode.

For the record, the "Ascension" music on Joel Goldsmith's website (http://freeclyde.com/bytes/sg1/02/sg1_02.html) enhances the experience, fitting the episode like a glove.

Only quip: episode shouldn't have been titled "Amazing Grace," "Coup d'Grace" would have been much better.

Great job!

Overall: ****

Comment

Originally posted by Lt. Colonel Ryu Gaia
          Wow, that episode was absolutely perfect! Easily one of the best this season, and now I know the David and Tom characters a lot better. Fantastic job! ^_^ Within the next day, I'll have a thorough review up on SGU for this episode.

For the record, the "Ascension" music on Joel Goldsmith's website (http://freeclyde.com/bytes/sg1/02/sg1_02.html) enhances the experience, fitting the episode like a glove.

Only quip: episode shouldn't have been titled "Amazing Grace," "Coup d'Grace" would have been much better.

Great job!

Wow, thanks. I know, I didn't write it, but it makes no difference.

I'll have to check out that music. Just to think, if we were on TV, Joel Goldsmith would be coming up with some incredible scores for each of our episodes.

I'm looking forward to that review. And I'm sure Mike as well.

Comment

Now that was a great episode. I disagree with Lt. Colonel Ryu, Amazing Grace was apt given the link through from Grace + Grace under pressure. It really was the ultimate whumping ep, wasn't it! However, although I liked the ending linking through to the beginning, I can't help but feel that a better ending would've been David writing a letter to his wife, or calling her, something which would give us a sense that the whole experience really did change him. It would also have been fun to see Tom's reaction to the whole thing: "You had a hallucination about me? Seriously?!?!?"
            Don't you want to look beyond the horizon?

In the 2 hours and 14 minutes that Torri Higginson was online, there were 272 posts in the Elizabeth Weir Wow Thread. I was responsible for 2 of them. (Oh yeah and Gateworld crashed, but that's not important)

Please click here to feed the hungry, protect endangered land, and help fight breast cancer without spending a penny (inspired by the Whistler 84 in Memoriam thread)

Comment

Well that was great. Accidently voted Good tho :-S
              Mikes best episode ever. The story carried really well considering it only had the A story really-It's the same for me writing Lonely Echoes. Really fun though isnt it.

I liked the Grace style episode. Hope David finally goes to meet his wife soon.
              sigpic
              Stargate Destiny - Coming Again Soon

Comment

Originally posted by mentalmichael
                Now that was a great episode. I disagree with Lt. Colonel Ryu, Amazing Grace was apt given the link through from Grace + Grace under pressure. It really was the ultimate whumping ep, wasn't it! However, although I liked the ending linking through to the beginning, I can't help but feel that a better ending would've been David writing a letter to his wife, or calling her, something which would give us a sense that the whole experience really did change him. It would also have been fun to see Tom's reaction to the whole thing: "You had a hallucination about me? Seriously?!?!?"
                Thanks for the comments, I'm glad every seemed to really enjoy the episode. In a past version, David woke up in the infirmary and asked for a piece of paper (with which he would write a letter), but I believe that that line got lost throughout the drafts. I agree, though, that would be another possibility for ending it.

David does begin to write letters off screen, though, and this will be made canon in one of the upcoming episodes. I can guarentee for certain that the experience has changed David, and we'll see more of this later.

Mikes best episode ever. The story carried really well considering it only had the A story really-It's the same for me writing Lonely Echoes. Really fun though isnt it.

I liked the Grace style episode. Hope David finally goes to meet his wife soon
                Thanks. At first, I was worried about the single story, especially because for the entire first act David is completely alone with nobody to talk to. Thankfully, the flashbacks managed to keep the story going until Tom showed up, at which point it could keep going on its own. Plus, the flashback scenes in the beginning, and the Valiant scenes towards the end, helped to break up the action in the city so that we didn't just have long continuous scenes. I'm very happy that it worked out well.

As for the Grace-style, I had wanted to do something of the sort for a while, until finally the right story came about. We would have seen Julia soon enough anyway, so we thought that this would be the best way to introduce her.

Originally posted by Lt. Colonel Ryu Gaia

Great job!

Again, the compliments are quite flattering. That music does go well, it's a shame we don't have Joel Goldsmith composing Horizon-exclusive songs.

Can't wait to see the review, as I said over PM. As for the title, that would have been a fitting title, given its definition and connection to the story.

Thanks again, folks.
                Stargate Destiny, Fan

Comment

It twas a bit meaty, thats the problems with episodes like this. A lot of it has meaty descriptions.
                  sigpic
                  Stargate Destiny - Coming Again Soon

Comment

Considering it was really a one-man show, it's expected that descriptions will be like that, and I wouldn't call it a problem.
                    By the way, I'm sorry I haven't put a review up yet, I haven't had time to write it.
                    Last edited by Lt. Colonel Ryu Gaia; 29 April 2006, 05:21 PM.

Comment

Erf, I wanna murder the SOB who keeps going around voting 'terrible' for everything. And it's not just Horizon, it's everything.

Comment

I'm not concerned about it, especially considering the response for the episode was especially good this time around. People can vote what they want, but enough people express their opinions in posts so that it doesn't really matter.

It can be irritating though. Perhaps they really do hate them all, but then again I can imagine it would be self-torture to read a series you hate each week.
                        Stargate Destiny, Fan

Comment

The title worried me a bit because I am really not a fan of the "Grace" episodes...

After reading "Amazing Grace" I'm still torn as to whether or not it is a good concept. On one hand it's a device to offer a window into a character, on the other it feels a bit blah.

The teaser was absolutely superb and the stylistic notes suggest that on screen this would have been a visually awesome episode.

I think the flashbacks really really helped with making this episode work, It is a nice look at David, a character who hasn't really had the full spotlight for a while now. Fantastic insights into his character.

While I'm not a fan of the concept this story was well executed.
                          I'm A Leaf On The Wind...Watch How I Soar

Comment

Originally posted by Lt. Colonel Ryu Gaia View Post
                            Wow, that episode was absolutely perfect!
                            Originally posted by Elite Anubis Guard View Post
                            Mikes best episode ever. The story carried really well considering it only had the A

story really-It's the same for me writing Lonely Echoes. Really fun though isnt it.

I liked the Grace style episode. Hope David finally goes to meet his wife soon.
                            Hey Mike , I´m really agree. It was be one of the best episodes ever for me... Great job!
                            I'm an admin of Czech website about Stargate Horizon: www.sga-project.com/horizon
                            My page on DA: http://jelda.deviantart.com

Comment

An amazing and perfect episode.Among Top 5 in season 2 for me.
                              And the ending was really kewl
                              In the middle of my backswing!!!

Comment

Working...
                              X