Birthright (710)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Final View Post
    I was confused by this as well. As I understand it Teal'c's son was about to get a pouch cut into him during a ceremony when Teal'c saved him so they're probably not born with pouches. His son seems to do well without a symbiote or tretonin so he probably hasn't been genetically altered. I suppose it's possible that Apophis chose not to have his Jaffa genetically altered while others did.
    Ry'ac does have a symbiote. Teal'c gave him his in the first season episode "Bloodlines". And we don't know if he started using tretonin, even by the time of Season 8's "Sacrifices". We know that many of the female Jaffa gave up their symbiotes to go on tretonin, but we never heard whether Ry'ac did as well (he had not given up his symbiote by the time of Season 7, "Orpheus").
    Last edited by hedwig; 24 March 2013, 08:34 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by hedwig View Post
      Ry'ac does have a symbiote. Teal'c gave him his in the first season episode "Bloodlines". And we don't know if he started using tretonin, even by the time of Season 8's "Sacrifices". We know that many of the female Jaffa gave up their symbiotes to go on tretonin, but we never heard whether Ry'ac did as well (he had not given up his symbiote by the time of Season 7, "Orpheus").
      Doesn't it take like twelve years or so for a symbiote to mature? So last time we saw Rya'c his symbiote was probably just fine and by the time he'd need a new one, he'd probably try to switch to tretonin like the rest of the Free Jaffa.
      Unmade Plans (WIP: 11/20):
      Sam's life takes a turn in an unexpected direction when she's faced with an unplanned pregnancy. The decision to keep the baby and raise it on her own will alter her life forever. Relationships are put to the test, especially the one between her and Jack. She doesn't know what to expect from him and he surprises her at every turn.
      On FFnet or AO3

My S/J fics can be found on FFnet and AO3. I also tweet and tumble about the ship and my writing/stories.

Comment

I liked the episode only wish there was some death by snu snu.

Comment

Another brilliant episode by Chris Judge. I also loved the team of the female jaffa's. At first, they reminded me of the amazon women from Xena.
          Currently Watching: Stargate SG1 and Stargate Atlantis
          Planning to watch: Dark Angel, Star Trek Enterprise and many more

Comment

Let's bring in the Amazones. It's a good story, not great. The greatest opposer will change her mind in the end, love interest for Teal'c (Chris wrote the episode after all), and all round kick-ass goodness.

There's a flaw in Mollek's, or whatever his name is, design to kill the girls. If the boys get to live, but the girls in their generation don't -- who do they mate with when they come of mating age? Even with their long life they will have to have a mate at some point in time to sustain Mollek's armies.

Anyway... loved to see horses again, especially the black one was pretty and regal.

Carter's reaction is priceless on two occasions. First when O'Neill says he's eager to help in whatever way when Daniel suggest they could be captured as mates (bar Carter then). And the second time when she tries to explain the "special bond"... awkward!

And I really liked the few actual chainmail jewelry that was presented. Loved that!
            Heightmeyer's Lemming -- still the coolest Lemming of the forum

Proper Stargate Rewatch -- season 10 of SG-1

Comment

Not a bad episode....

My big problem with this is that I'm not overly fond of Jolene Blalock as an actor. I've seen her here and in ST Enterprise, and I just find her too wooden and not as engaging as others.

I also thought it was interesting that the women were expected to be a 'last-ditch defense' only and yet they were able to win over battle-hardened, experienced warriors. Luck or good writing?
              Do not meddle in the affairs of Dragons; for you are Crunchy and good with Ketchup.

Comment

Originally posted by Meaghan View Post
                Not a bad episode....

My big problem with this is that I'm not overly fond of Jolene Blalock as an actor. I've seen her here and in ST Enterprise, and I just find her too wooden and not as engaging as others.

I also thought it was interesting that the women were expected to be a 'last-ditch defense' only and yet they were able to win over battle-hardened, experienced warriors. Luck or good writing?
                Most likely, the practice a lot.

Comment

O'Neill's secret dream: sire for the Hak'tyls!!!!!
                  This is cliché and a bad one. Carter's reaction is the only one possible.
                  I liked the plot, nice scene between Jackson and the girl.
                  Good-natured Frisian horse that is patted by O'Neill.
                  Best shot: gambling children in a corner of the SGC.
                  CARPE DIEM
                  ANJA

Comment

I was thinking about something which was in this episode and in some others as well. It was mentioned that tretonin is the cure who got rid a Jaffa of the dependance of symbionts. But if i remember correctly, it was never shown that someone would find a way how make this cure better and all users were addicted to this cure as well. Is it really so great that they change one addiction for another?

Comment

It's far from ideal but it's better in the sense that it frees the Jaffa from their dependency on the Goa'uld. As far as we know the Jaffa never got their hands on a Goa'uld Queen, so every few years, when their Goa'uld symbiote matures, they have to get a new one from a Goa'uld by being his/her loyal servant. If they want to be free their only other options were to steal larvae Goa'uld from other Jaffa or die.

Tretonin provided them with an alternate option. Yes, they're dependent on it instead of a symbiote, but they're dependent on something that grants them freedom from the Goa'uld. I know in this episode Neith expressed concern that they were trading dependency on the Goa'uld for dependency on Earth, which is a valid potential problem as even though the status quo wouldn't attach any strings to sharing it with the Jaffa, there's no guarantee that darker elements wouldn't one day come to power on Earth. I don't remember, however, if Earth always controlled the supply to the Jaffa or if there came a time when the Jaffa were able to make it on their own. I can't imagine the latter is not the case, only because there are millions of Jaffa who by this point o=in time should no longer have access to Goa'uld larvae, and Earth's secret Stargate Program does not have the resources to supply all of them with tretonin.

In any case, it's a good enough substitute until a more permanent solution can be devised.
                      Last edited by Xaeden; 23 July 2018, 06:01 PM.

Comment

The more permanent solution will come about when young Jaffa are no longer given a primta in the first place. Then their natural immune system won't atrophy, and they won't need a symbiote or a drug to replace it.

Seaboe
                        If you're going to allow yourself to be offended by a cat, you might as well just pack it in -- Steven Brust

Comment

When Rya'c first got a symbiote it was made to seem more like a choice with his getting sick and needing one seeming to be a fluke, but it instead turned out to be that the Jaffa's immune systems are genetically engineered to fail at puberty so they will need to become dependent on a symbiote to live. Teal'c, who had been in the middle of questioning everything he had been told, didn't believe that it was really necessary back in season 1's "Bloodlines," but he was wrong according to "Birthright:"

ISHTA
                          This is Synak. This morning she laid on her deathbed. She reached the age of Prata three days ago.

O'NEILL
                          Hmm?

DANIEL
                          Puberty.

O'NEILL
                          Ah.

ISHTA
                          Without the symbiote we procured this morning, she would be dead now.

ISHTA
                          This is Nesa. Younger sister to Neith. She is next to reach the age. Without a symbiote, she will die.

ISHTA
                          As will all our children.
                          The rest of the episode then deals with trying to get volunteers to go on tretonin, not just because it would free them from their dependency, but because Nesa was close to "requiring" a symbiote, which meant either getting on tretonin or going out and ambushing more Jaffa.

As expected, Nesa does get sick, prompting Neith to insist they ambush Jaffa for their symbiotes but things go wrong. While this is happening, Nesa decides that she does not want a symbiote and consents to going on tretonin, thus making her the first child without a pouch to become dependent on the drug.

Comment

Still this...

Originally posted by Falcon Horus View Post
                            Let's bring in the Amazones. It's a good story, not great. The greatest opposer will change her mind in the end, love interest for Teal'c (Chris wrote the episode after all), and all round kick-ass goodness.

There's a flaw in Mollek's, or whatever his name is, design to kill the girls. If the boys get to live, but the girls in their generation don't -- who do they mate with when they come of mating age? Even with their long life they will have to have a mate at some point in time to sustain Mollek's armies.

Anyway... loved to see horses again, especially the black one was pretty and regal.

Carter's reaction is priceless on two occasions. First when O'Neill says he's eager to help in whatever way when Daniel suggest they could be captured as mates (bar Carter then). And the second time when she tries to explain the "special bond"... awkward!

And I really liked the few actual chainmail jewelry that was presented. Loved that!
                            And also, when Ishta is fighting Teal'c, Chris' shirt is dirty on the back before we see him hit the ground the first time. Oops!

How would you rate SG-1's "Birthright"?

Excellent
                            Good -- I liked it enough to find it worthy of rewatching multiple times but there's still enough bugging me that I can't give it an excellent. It's that male POV on Amazons, I guess, you could say.
                            Fair
                            Poor
                            Terrible

*******EDIT***********

3-episode quiz: Avenger 2.0, Birthright & Evolution I

Jigsaw puzzle: Birthright
                            Last edited by Falcon Horus; 16 June 2019, 05:36 AM. Reason: Adding quiz & jigsaw.
                            Heightmeyer's Lemming -- still the coolest Lemming of the forum

Proper Stargate Rewatch -- season 10 of SG-1

Comment

Another filler episode. And one im not very fond of. Really because I Don't really see any difference between the Haktyl and any other make Jaffa society. Tealc falling for the Ishta has been done before. The only interesting part was the tretonin death and that was largely forgotten. Its a poor but I did 7 min 35 seconds
                              Originally posted by aretood2
                              Jelgate is right

Comment

14.00 oh
                                http://i.imgur.com/gDxdl9E.gif

​ ​

Comment

Working...
                                X